A bit dull

Re: A bit dull

Postby Ntini » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
MfcChris wrote:What has Jim learnt from the last half of last season? Gone back to how we were in the first half of last season and many season before. Boring football & negative formations. We are good at hoofing, not making simple passes and giving away possession though. Roll on the January saviours again.

BerlinWaller wrote:Most teams line up with 3 CM's so I can understand why Jim is reluctant to line up with just 2 against them

Why do we have to always worry about the opposition and match them though, at home. Can we not let them worry about us? We know we are good enough on our day.

Would an opposing Manager be concerned playing against a midfield 2 picked from Wildig/Tutte/Kenyon? If we played with 2 in the middle, we would have to expose the flanks and we haven't got the players to do that either. I totally agree that we worry about the other team far too much and never ever get after teams.

One of the biggest problems we have, especially at home.

We should be picking our best 11 in the best formation we can and let the opposition worry about us. Then, if things aren't working, adapt to the situation.

Unfortunately we seem obsessed with what the opposition will try and do and come to home games with a plan of how to stop them. It stifles our creativity and leaves the punters bored!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby redrobo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Freez wrote:Jordan should be starting either on the left of midfield for Kev or in the middle, for me. He. Was excellent in the ten men at The Stags last week.
Tanner is decent at left back, if predominantly right footed. Luke will be back next week.

The comments above about Jordan are what I find so frustrating about JB at times.

He seems to pick a team that doesn't reflect players who have played well or badly the previous game.

By all accounts there was a number of excellent performances mid week but that was not reflected in Saturday's selection.

And yet Kevin who contributes little these days seems to be one of the first on the team sheet along with Baz who once again flapped during the game.

For me the team should be those players who have performed the game before.

Also what has happened to both Carlos and Jagne, both of whom haven't been gievn a chance so far... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Ntini » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:38 pm

redrobo wrote:And yet Kevin who contributes little these days seems to be one of the first on the team sheet along with Baz who once again flapped during the game.

I'm surprised both that Baz was in the team and that his errors didn't lead to a goal. He still seems unable to get out of the habit of pushing the ball towards opposition players rather than away from danger.

I don't think he's at his best - flapping, missing punches and poor distribution. I feel a lot more comfortable with Halstead between the sticks at the moment.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Ntini wrote:
redrobo wrote:And yet Kevin who contributes little these days seems to be one of the first on the team sheet along with Baz who once again flapped during the game.

I'm surprised both that Baz was in the team and that his errors didn't lead to a goal. He still seems unable to get out of the habit of pushing the ball towards opposition players rather than away from danger.

I don't think he's at his best - flapping, missing punches and poor distribution. I feel a lot more comfortable with Halstead between the sticks at the moment.

Baz number 1 for me on merit. I always feel happier with a big unit between the sticks. He was excellent at throwing the ball out quick to his wide-men , unfortunately the move usually resulted in the ball coming backwards !
I was disappointed with Mark's effort to save the 2nd Mansfield goal in the EFL Cup match when it was stroked past him from 20 yards.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Slanester » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Ntini wrote:

Baz number 1 for me on merit. I always feel happier with a big unit between the sticks. He was excellent at throwing the ball out quick to his wide-men , unfortunately the move usually resulted in the ball coming backwards !
I was disappointed with Mark's effort to save the 2nd Mansfield goal in the EFL Cup match when it was stroked past him from 20 yards.

The 2nd goal at Mansfield, was a bit “soft” GS, but he did make some good saves, including the all important penalty.
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:17 pm

I am in agreement about Barry and Kev. Age has caught up with them and it is hard to watch. You can see with Kev that his feet can't do what his head wants and he mis-controls and stumbles over the ball nearly every time. Barry is flat footed and makes some rash decisions. He flapped at one on Saturday and you worry every time he comes out for the ball. Mark is really unlucky not to be number 1. You wonder how Jim sold him a two year deal to play second fiddle to a 38 year old Roche. We will never move forward whilst we hold on to the thought of Barry, Kev and Kenyon being in the starting 11. We all know there are better, younger options within the squad.
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Kev still has a job to do defensively and does it well, however his impact going forward is minimal.
This leaves us with essentially three people from 10 outfield players who are there to attack, at home.
We cannot afford to play any team in this division with players not contributing game after game.
I agree that his touch seems to have deserted him. Shame, but he could ruffle a few feathers as sub. I’d prefer Cranston left mid, for twenty games to see how he does.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Andy D » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Freez wrote:Kev still has a job to do defensively and does it well, however his impact going forward is minimal.
This leaves us with essentially three people from 10 outfield players who are there to attack, at home.
We cannot afford to play any team in this division with players not contributing game after game.
I agree that his touch seems to have deserted him. Shame, but he could ruffle a few feathers as sub. I’d prefer Cranston left mid, for twenty games to see how he does.

2nd this, Cranston must be the most energetic player we've got, also on the left side of midfield he can give Luke better protection with having experience playing at L/B.
Andy D

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Andy D wrote:
Freez wrote:Kev still has a job to do defensively and does it well, however his impact going forward is minimal.

2nd this, Cranston must be the most energetic player we've got, also on the left side of midfield he can give Luke better protection with having experience playing at L/B.

I think we all would like to see Jordan start but Jim does seem to like surrounding himself with his trusty Lieutenants when things aren't going so well
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Performances could change that, for the better.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby RonF » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Check out the full Freez view from the commentary box https://shrimpstrust.co.uk/shrimps-0-0-robins.
RonF

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Really? From what I see, he always makes a lame jog back to Luke at LB, then jogs behind the winger and never stops the cross - our left side is weaker than our right in my opinion and Conlan gets very little cover when Kev is ahead of him.

I would say Kev is probably limited to National League North League skill-wise, at best. Only because he is a loyal servant and a good character to have around that he is still in the squad.

Harsh words but true.
RapidShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 am

RapidShrimp wrote:

Really? From what I see, he always makes a lame jog back to Luke at LB, then jogs behind the winger and never stops the cross - our left side is weaker than our right in my opinion and Conlan gets very little cover when Kev is ahead of him.

I would say Kev is probably limited to National League North League skill-wise, at best. Only because he is a loyal servant and a good character to have around that he is still in the squad.

Harsh words but true.

Kev's work rate is a bit of a myth. He does work back but that is what his job is. Conlan is often left exposed as Tanner was on Saturday. Kev is very vocal which is a good thing and decent when defending corners. Is that enough to warrant a start ahead of other attacking players though? Freez is right when he says Kev would be effective as an impact sub.

What concerns me is in the first 2 home games is Kev, Baz and Kenyon have started both. 3 of last seasons weakest performers have kept their places despite a summer of recruitment.
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am

BerlinWaller wrote:
RapidShrimp wrote:

Harsh words but true.

Kev's work rate is a bit of a myth. He does work back but that is what his job is. Conlan is often left exposed as Tanner was on Saturday. Kev is very vocal which is a good thing and decent when defending corners. Is that enough to warrant a start ahead of other attacking players though? Freez is right when he says Kev would be effective as an impact sub.

What concerns me is in the first 2 home games is Kev, Baz and Kenyon have started both. 3 of last seasons weakest performers have kept their places despite a summer of recruitment.

I am happy with Baz starting , for me his height and catching crosses puts him ahead of Mark.

Kev really should be just a late impact sub and Alex really should be just a back-up squad member.

I want Oates to start against Macclesfield.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am

I'm concerned by the amount of times Roche flapping at crosses has made its way into highlights, and Cheltenham really should have scored from it on Saturday. I have no issue with electing to punch (even flap/turn the ball away) - I'd rather a goalkeeper do so than attempt to catch a difficult cross and make a meal of it - but the way Roche has gone about it is concerning. Seems to be very little control or conviction, and it could well end up in a goal soon.

On the second goal, definitely wasn't an error from Halstead - was a very smart finish I thought. Take a look at it again, the Mansfield player actually toe pokes the shot. Doing so catches the keeper unawares, and it's difficult to read where the ball is going. Makes the ball shoot across the ground quickly too. Very good finish, nothing Halstead could do. He'd be in for me.
Little Shrimp

Postby sandgrown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:18 am

BerlinWaller wrote:
RapidShrimp wrote:

Harsh words but true.

What concerns me is in the first 2 home games is Kev, Baz and Kenyon have started both 3 of last seasons weakest performers have kept their places despite a summer of recruitment.

that is the problem in a nutshell !
sandgrown

Postby Shrimp Girl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 pm

There will be squad rotation in the next few games I am sure, as we have nine fixtures coming up in five weeks. At least this season we have a big enough squad that we can do rotation. Both Kev and Alex had spells on the bench last season and they will again. They may have started the two home games but both have been subbed off before the end. Do we know yet how serious Alex's injury is?
Shrimp Girl

Postby Freez » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm

We were told that after a scan, worse case would be three months, but could be considerably less.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Ntini » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I am happy with Baz starting , for me his height and catching crosses puts him ahead of Mark.

It's funny that quite a few people, myself included, view that as one of Barry's biggest flaws. He rarely catches the ball and instead comes to punch it but usually flaps at it and pushes it to an opponent. We were lucky not to concede as a direct result of that on Saturday.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Castaway » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Agree with a lot of what´s been said.

I have found it disappointing that Kenyon has had so much game time so far this season. No one is doubting his passion for the club, but if it was just about passion we´d all get a game! He wouldn´t get a start at a top national league side, let alone other league 2. I don´t mind him being a back-up but in no way should he be starting in the middle of the park for us when we have better options. Kev can still be an option off the bench but we need more energy from the off with younger legs.

Like what has been said, we have to take the game to teams like Grimsby and Cheltenham at home. Those will be the game that we can get goals (maybe we don´t win then all but thats ok, 1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws) and get the home crowd behind us and get people through the gates. We´ve barely had chances in those games. The mindset, formation and aggression should be totally focused on getting 3 points at all costs at home and not nullyfing the oppositon. Accrington down the road in league 2 did not give anyone an easy afternoon when they were hosting. Jim has to take responsibility for this and not write off games as one-offs or just one of those afternoons. There are patterns here which we looked to have fixed at the back end of last year, but seem to have regressed. He has the players and the managerial ability to do it.
Castaway

Postby redrobo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:15 pm

If games are petering out into a nothing of a game with neither team looking to break the deadlock then surely it's up to the manager(s) to change things by replacing players not playing to their usual standard ( or to change the formation) in an attempt to get a positive result especially at home.

JB said that Saturday's game was one of three since becoming manager that was one to forget..if that was the case then surely he should have been more positive in his use of substitutes to at least try to change things.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby black morse » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:43 pm

As I did not attend any of the games in the second half of last season I do not know the answer to this but did injuries force Jim to set up a more attack minded squad or was it purely down to getting the likes of Collins and Bennett?
black morse

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Baz has back to back clean sheets

I rest my case M'Lord :D :D :D
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Posh » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Baz’s save tonight was incredible. Kept us in the game when we were under the cosh.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:43 am

RapidShrimp wrote:I would say Kev is probably limited to National League North League skill-wise, at best.

Yeah, that pass for Lewis to score against Mansfield was National League North at best! :roll:

Kev's the one player in the midfield at the moment who can make a difference. I'd agree that he's probably an impact sub now but he's still got it!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion