O/T? Walking Football

O/T? Walking Football

Postby skyecat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:22 pm

I just had a quick search on here but couldn't see anything (apologies if there is/has been a thread).
Walking Football, organised by the club at Moss Gate pitches (behind the Health Centre on Heysham Road).

Wednesday night 6-7pm.
All abilities, 35 year old +, male and female.
1 hour
£2.50 per session.

Contact Martin (not me) on 07857 292296 or just turn up.

1st time I turned up - it was just Martin and me
2nd time I turned up it was just Martin and me
3rd time I turned up there were 2 others so we knocked the ball around for a bit of exercise
4th time is tomorrow.... anyone fancy it?

He has ideas and plans of what to do moving forward, but needs people to be interested, or at least to make that first step and turn up and see that it's a welcoming atmosphere and it doesn't matter if you played in the 70's like one guy last week, or never played in a team before (me)!
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Re: O/T? Walking Football

Postby Shrimp Girl » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:40 pm

I hope this keeps going, it sounds like a great scheme. It's a bit far away for me, as a non-driver that doesn't qualify for a free bus pass just yet. There must be plenty like me that had no chance at all to play football in their youth on account of being female. If he ran a session a bit closer to Lancaster I'd probably come and have a look :D
Shrimp Girl

Postby Richard Head » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi mate, I'm just about to set off for a night out in Altrincham, off to Tatton Park flower show tomorrow but I'll try and make this next week, I'll give Martin a ring before next Wednesday.

I started playing North Lancs Lesgue football in 1975 so could have played with or against the guy who turned up last week. Hopefully see you there
Richard Head

Postby skyecat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

Shrimp Girl - maybe give Martin a ring and see if anyone comes through from Lancaster? - with the link road, it really isn't too far (or too long) to get to.

Richard Head - it would be great to see you.
It's starting to gather in popularity now - so the more the merrier.
6-7pm Wednesday behind the new health centre up at Heysham - access from Heysham road.
skyecat

Postby Richard Head » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am

I'll see you there mate, having spoken to Martin it looks like I'll be the oldest one there
Richard Head

Postby skyecat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Richard Head wrote:I'll see you there mate, having spoken to Martin it looks like I'll be the oldest one there

Excellent. See you there!
skyecat

Postby skyecat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:02 am

Walking Football - tonight - 6-7pm.
£2.50
Moss Gate Park
Heysham (behind the Health Centre)

ALL WELCOME
Male, Female, old young (well, over 35's)!
All abilities
skyecat

Postby skyecat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:38 am

Had a great turn out last night.
Good fun, if a little hot!!
Walking football - i'm sure there were a few little "skips" and "trots" at times, but we had a great hour.

Come on down next Wednesday and join us.
6-7pm
Moss Gate Park, Heysham
skyecat

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 pm

The skips and trots will be for chasing Nigel's toe pokes i bet
BerlinWaller

Postby morecambewba » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Great to hear this has taken off.
about 4 years ago the club tried to get walking football started at the globe. i turned up for about 3 weeks but noone else did.
Then i heard Age Concern were promoting it at Halton Community Centre and went along. Now been going three years with up to 30 players registered and on average 12 -18 turn up on a wednesday morning at 10am. Quite a few come from morecambe and lancaster area. Though age range is generally 50 plus , we occasionally have players 40-50.
Some of us play twice a week at different locations. But as the morecambe group play the same day as us, most of us would find playing twice in a day too much...we need time to recover!!!
Good luck Morecambe Fc . Hope it's a success
morecambewba

Postby morecambewba » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:41 am

for anyone interested mfc started second session last week at Regent Park 12.30pm for one hour.no charge.
attended yesterday, 7 turned up plus coach. last week played on grass pitch but due to recent rain we played on muga next to it.
good game and hopefully more people will turn up
morecambewba

Postby Richard Head » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am

morecambewba wrote:Great to hear this has taken off.
about 4 years ago the club tried to get walking football started at the globe. i turned up for about 3 weeks but noone else did.
Then i heard Age Concern were promoting it at Halton Community Centre and went along. Now been going three years with up to 30 players registered and on average 12 -18 turn up on a wednesday morning at 10am. Quite a few come from morecambe and lancaster area. Though age range is generally 50 plus , we occasionally have players 40-50.
Some of us play twice a week at different locations. But as the morecambe group play the same day as us, most of us would find playing twice in a day too much...we need time to recover!!!
Good luck Morecambe Fc . Hope it's a success

Have you done the walking football at Dallam school on a Thursday? Don't think I'll be able to make the session at Mossgate this week so I thought I might pop up to Dallam to get my weekly fix, I've emailed the guy at Westmorland FA but I guess any reply will be delayed because of bank holiday.
Richard Head

Postby skeletor » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:05 pm

MFC Community walking football tonight 6-7 pm £3.50 at Mossgate 3G pitch,looking for new members over 50 years of age,just turn up if interested!
skeletor

Postby skeletor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:49 pm

Bump
skeletor

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:00 pm

skeletor wrote:MFC Community walking football tonight 6-7 pm £3.50 at Mossgate 3G pitch,looking for new members over 50 years of age,just turn up if interested!

Just out of curiosity, is the minimum age arbitrary, or something to do with a league that you play in? If short of players, why not lower it to over 40's? The original post said "35 year old +"
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby skeletor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:48 pm

Not a league,just a kickabout for older players.But great fun and exercise.We just need a few new members.It is organised by MFC Community staff.Thanks for your interest Keith
skeletor

Postby Freez » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:33 pm

There are 5 sessions of Walking Football a week at Mossgate.
Monday 10.30 am
Weds 6pm
Friday 12pm
Saturday 9am all for one hour.
These are run by Morecambe Walking Football Club.

The Monday session is, as has been said, run by the MFC Community sports and they are looking for more participants.
But of you want to come along to any other session, you would be very welcome.

Three touch, no over head height, no contact, no tackling from behind, no heading are the basics.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby skeletor » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:01 pm

BUMP
skeletor

Postby skeletor » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:21 pm

BUMP
skeletor

Return to General Discussion