Fleming retires

Fleming retires

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:49 am

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/j ... te-effect/

Really sad news, I thought he was excellent towards the end of last year when he returned, one of our best players with a couple of deserved Motm awards. I wish him all the best.
tim-sanchez

Re: Fleming retires

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 pm

Awful news and I really feel for the lad
Having to pack up at 31 when you should be at the peak of your powers is so sad. A great servant and Jim speaks very well about him as a lad and as a player. All the best for the future Flemmo, hopefully the club can find a place for you behind the scenes.
Last edited by BerlinWaller on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Very sad, hope he has something lined up. Good luck Flemmo
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Awful news for Andy. He was excellent before his injury and when he returned in the latter part of last season.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Really sad to hear this. Prior to his injury last season, he was playing his best football in many years and I really hoped he was going to be key for us this season. I'm sure we all wish him all the best for the future. :(
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phil Anderer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Really upset for him. I always thought he had something to offer even when others were getting on his back. I hope he can find a suitably rewarding career after football, and wish him all the best.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Shrimp Girl » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Perhaps the club will organise a testimonial for him as it's so sudden he's had to retire. He was only a season off ten years with Morecambe anyway.
Shrimp Girl

Postby Posh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Agree with Shrimp Girl.

A loyal servant of Morecambe FC who always gave everything for the club and stayed with us through a lot of thin times.

He definitely deserves some sort of fundraiser and proper send off after 9 years. Hope either club, Trust and fans can pull something together. Happy to help if I can.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Bare bum » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Blimey, that's a disappointing shock for the team but far more for the man. Really feel for you.
All the best Andy
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Dreadful news :(

Particularly galling as he was playing great football and would have been one of the first names on the team sheet this season for me.
CityShrimp

Postby black morse » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Terrible shock. Thanks for everything Andy and all the best for the future. You really will be missed.
black morse

Postby Freez » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:00 pm

In my opinion our best and most consistent midfielders who has had a career blighted by niggly injuries.
Very sad news, all the best Andy, you have been a model of one FL club brilliance.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Vinny » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Tragic news. Sounds like Andy had worked really hard during the break to improve fitness, now this happens to the poor lad. Thanks Flemmo for your years of commitment and loyalty to the Shrimps. Hope you find a new role in the game.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Slanester » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:05 pm

I can only echo, all that others have posted. Absolutely gutted for the lad.
Slanester

Postby Andy D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Unlucky! Just signed a new deal, I'd imagine if Andy signed a 1yr deal then he'll still get paid for the remainder of the fix term contract? And like most Footballers nowadays you'd like to think will have insurance too.
Andy D

Postby Castaway » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm really gutted for Flemmo. He's been a really good servant for the club. Jim's words speak volumes in terms of his attitude and application.

A brave decision for him to make and I wish him all the best for whatever he decides to do now.
Castaway

Postby simmy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 pm

A real shock. Last season Andy put in a series of good performances whenever he played and he could have been one of our key players this year. Hopefully some sort of fundraiser will be arranged for a player who has given the club such loyal service. All the best for the future Andy.
simmy

Postby cyprus-shrimp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Awful news and the comments on social media from former and current colleagues speak volumes about the guy.

I'm sure that if a benefit game can be arranged for Andy, we could get some very interesting sides put out there - possibly to include Ryan Edwards, Zak Mills, Jamie Devitt, Adam Campbell, Paul Mullin, Neil Wainwright (based on current posts).

I know that with the season almost upon us, things will not be easy to arrange, but hopefully something can be sorted. I reckon he deserves our support.
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
cyprus-shrimp

Postby sandgrown » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 am

Andy D wrote:Unlucky! Just signed a new deal, I'd imagine if Andy signed a 1yr deal then he'll still get paid for the remainder of the fix term contract? And like most Footballers nowadays you'd like to think will have insurance too.

when did he sign a new deal ?
sandgrown

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 am

I would hope/assume that Andy will get an insurance payout as his career has been cut short on medical grounds. I have a vague memory of a player we had during the Conference years who had a payout so couldn't play League football again. I think Stevenage(?) also had a similar situation, where they had to either repay the insurance or release a player when they were promoted to the League?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 pm

sandgrown wrote:
Andy D wrote:Unlucky! Just signed a new deal, I'd imagine if Andy signed a 1yr deal then he'll still get paid for the remainder of the fix term contract? And like most Footballers nowadays you'd like to think will have insurance too.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/m ... -new-deal/
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Don't enjoy any player having to retire in the prime of his career. Very sad news for both club and player. Wishing Andy all the best for his future. A loyal servant who has served his club very well.

Thanks for everything.
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Keith wrote:I would hope/assume that Andy will get an insurance payout as his career has been cut short on medical grounds. I have a vague memory of a player we had during the Conference years who had a payout so couldn't play League football again. I think Stevenage(?) also had a similar situation, where they had to either repay the insurance or release a player when they were promoted to the League?

Mike Marsh was in this situation after retiring, ended up at Scouseport
BerlinWaller

Postby sandgrown » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 am

marky No.1 wrote:
sandgrown wrote:

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2019/m ... -new-deal/

thanks for all your efforts playing for us Andy
sandgrown

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Forever entrenched in the history of MFC as the score of the first 2 goals at The Globe! Never nice when a player has to retire through an injury. Thanks and good luck Flemmo
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Return to General Discussion