O/T RIP Tony Barker

O/T RIP Tony Barker

Postby Jack Poulton » Fri May 03, 2019 4:45 pm

Sad to report the sudden death of lifelong supporter, Tony Barker at the age of 69. Former proprietor of Morecambe Sale Room, and a well known character in the local football and golf circles. Please spread the news to anyone who may have known him.
Jack Poulton

Re: O/T RIP Tony Barker

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri May 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Didn't know the chap but out of respect R.I.P Tony.
jbc.shrimp

Postby Jack Poulton » Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks to all who expressed condolences to me for Tony when I attended the Newport game. I have passed these on to his family and they are very grateful. A number asked me about his funeral arrangements. It is scheduled to take place at Beetham Hall Crematorium at 11.00 on Wednesday 22nd May. Expect a large attendance.
Jack Poulton

Postby Freez » Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Very sad and very sudden!
I’ve known Tony since making my debut in the North Lancs premier in 1978 at the ripe old age of just turned 15.
We managed to keep Bally Old Boys up that season.
Tony placed emphasis on youth and three or four of us all did our bit, won 1-0 at Pilling on the last day to keep us up, on the minibus on the way back we saw what we thought at the time was a UFO, still not sure what it was.
RIP Tony.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue May 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Freez wrote:Very sad and very sudden!
I’ve known Tony since making my debut in the North Lancs premier in 1978 at the ripe old age of just turned 15.
We managed to keep Bally Old Boys up that season.
Tony placed emphasis on youth and three or four of us all did our bit, won 1-0 at Pilling on the last day to keep us up, on the minibus on the way back we saw what we thought at the time was a UFO, still not sure what it was.
RIP Tony.

Did you ever see Tony hit a free kick ?

He used to play in the Sunday League , maybe Battersbys team. I've seen him score free-kicks from the halfway line !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Alan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Did you ever see Tony hit a free kick ?

He used to play in the Sunday League , maybe Battersbys team. I've seen him score free-kicks from the halfway line !

Can't remember exactly, but on Sundays we played as Glenwood Rovers , then Lancaster Co-op.

One match against Bowling Green we had fought from 4-1 down to get back to 4-3 with a couple of minutes to go, then they scored another..5-3. From the kick off Tony stood a couple of yards behind the ball and asked Jimmy Harmer to just tap the ball forward. Tony gave it one of his big efforts and the ball sailed over the goalie into the net. The goalie was Dave Edge, who had stood at the penalty spot from the kick off. We still lost 5-4 however.

The daft things you remember when you get old !
Alan

Postby Richard Head » Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 pm

I played with Tony in the mid 80's for College Wanderers, whenever I saw Tony he always had time for a chat and a laugh, a really good guy. RIP
Richard Head

Postby Jack Poulton » Thu May 23, 2019 8:13 am

Fantastic attendance for Tony's funeral yesterday. Estimated to have been nearly 300 there - the largest ever at Beetham Crematorium. Thanks to all MFC supporters who attended. He got a great send off.
Jack Poulton

Return to General Discussion