Morecambe FC memories thread

Re: Morecambe FC memories thread

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:35 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:Did any one here ever go to Grundy Hill, Horwich RMI?

One of the biggest slopes on a pitch I've ever seen! Probably my memory exaggerating things, but it felt like the corner flag was level with the crossbar! :D :D :D
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby paulshrimp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 pm

I’ve been there a few times, Keith. As far as I recall there was a huge slope across the pitch and a bit of a slope end to end. Didn’t Grundy Hill end up as a housing estate? I recall a win at Bangor, about 1970, in the FA Cup possibly 4-3. There was a famous picture in the Visitor of Steve Porter lunging at the ball with his foot out to score one of the goals.
paulshrimp

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:25 pm

paulshrimp wrote: I recall a win at Bangor, about 1970, in the FA Cup possibly 4-3. There was a famous picture in the Visitor of Steve Porter lunging at the ball with his foot out to score one of the goals.

3-2 in 1968 I think. Went to that match and also was taken to Chester in 1961 when we were in Lancs Combination and they in Div 4. I went on a coach and saw the goal (after 4 mins) in our then momentous 1-0 victory. A special train was laid on for fans but was late and most of them missed the goal.

At one of our last trips to Scouseport we saw Steve Porter standing amongst our fans (his son was one of our squad players at the time) and spent the 90 mins chatting and listening to his stories.

Is just me, or does anybody else miss those trips to Southport?
Alan

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Alan wrote:
paulshrimp wrote: I recall a win at Bangor, about 1970, in the FA Cup possibly 4-3. There was a famous picture in the Visitor of Steve Porter lunging at the ball with his foot out to score one of the goals.

3-2 in 1968 I think. Went to that match and also was taken to Chester in 1961 when we were in Lancs Combination and they in Div 4. I went on a coach and saw the goal (after 4 mins) in our then momentous 1-0 victory. A special train was laid on for fans but was late and most of them missed the goal.

At one of our last trips to Scouseport we saw Steve Porter standing amongst our fans (his son was one of our squad players at the time) and spent the 90 mins chatting and listening to his stories.

Is just me, or does anybody else miss those trips to Southport?

Yes but don't want to play them in the Conference North.

It would be a decent pre-season friendly though.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:It would be a decent pre-season friendly though.

For our reserves! 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Home to Bangor on THAT Tuesday night anyone :cry: :cry: :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby parceldave » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:I don't remember a goal from 45 yards, but def scored a brace - he was the reason why we watched Morecambe FC as he is related to me. The great memories I have watching them in the past and the fact they are geographically my nearest club is the reason why I support them today.

I think it was Mike Bignall who scored from just over the half-way line on a certain occasion.
parceldave

Postby paschahound » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 pm

Keith wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:It would be a decent pre-season friendly though.

Home to Bangor on THAT Tuesday night anyone :cry: :cry: :cry:

In many ways, that wasn't the worst thing to happen that season. That was a really strange season. I'm sure we got crushed at home by Lancaster too which was much more disappointing. But the best game was a rare trip away (for me) to Netherfield.
I can't clearly remember, but wasn't that the season when Laurie Milligan scored a goal and the announcer said ...And the goal scorer is...'Laurie bloody Milligan?' with a raised intonation of incredulity. Always brings a smile when I recall that one.
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 am

People used to rave about how good the hot pot was at Grundy Hill, Horwich.

I remember purchasing a portion on my first ever visit from their canteen which was housed in an old railway carriage. I took one mouthful, and promptly launched it over the back wall.

It was disgusting...!!!!!! :x
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:45 am

Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am

paschahound wrote:'Laurie bloody Milligan?'

I often wonder what happened to him after he left his role as manager at Morecambe.

Did he ever manage again anywhere?

I asked Loz Walsh the question recently but he didn't know either.
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 am

paschahound wrote:The game against Barrow a year or two later was more impressive though. It finished 0-0 and we played 10 at the back. Marshal Petain would have been proud that day.

The FA Trophy game I alluded to mate was in the 1987/88 season and the FA Cup game you mention which finished 0-0 was that following 1988/89 season.

Because of the crowd trouble which marred the earlier FA Trophy game, the FA Cup game at CP was played with a 12pm kick off and CP was heaving that day - with predominantly Barrovians....

A superb 0-0 draw was played out before we got royally walloped in the replay at Holker Street on the Tuesday night to the tune of 1-5.

Barrow then returned AGAIN that same season in the Lancashire ATS Trophy for a Tuesday night game and beat us 4-2 at CP again (January 1989) with Graham Gill in the Barrow team.

Police horses that night at a Lancashire ATS Challenge Trophy game. Who'd have thought it....... :roll:
Seasider9601

Postby Potted Shrimp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:37 pm

What sort of crowds would games against Barrow draw? And what number of away fans?
Potted Shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Without my "Potted Shrimps" book to hand written by Sir Ken Ormerod, I think (all approx.)

1987/88 FA Trophy 700
1988/89 FA Cup 1300 (away fans at least 850)
1988/89 ATS Trophy 450

All the above are there or thereabouts :geek:

My first game away at Barrow was on Boxing Day 1987. We were top of the league and I, and another approx.. 20 (yes...... 20......) Shrimps fans made up a crowd of 2300 at Holker Street as we drew 0-0
Seasider9601

Postby paschahound » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
paschahound wrote:The game against Barrow a year or two later was more impressive though. It finished 0-0 and we played 10 at the back. Marshal Petain would have been proud that day.

The FA Trophy game I alluded to mate was in the 1987/88 season and the FA Cup game you mention which finished 0-0 was that following 1988/89 season.

Thanks for clarifying the dates. This thread, and the other one, is making me realise my memory for years and seasons isn't so great. Yours is amazing! :ugeek:
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:33 pm

A funny moment I do recall from that Saturday lunchtime FA Cup tie v Barra' was during the first half.

We were attacking the Christie Avenue end and, keeping goal for Barrow that day, was a certain Peter McDonnell who had re-signed for Barrow during the summer following three VERY successful seasons with us at Morecambe.

During the first half, Peter goes to clear a loose ball coming towards him. With his Toblerone Tube shaped boots on, he slices the ball completely and it goes flying over the Main Stand roof and into the school field behind said stand.

Peter turns to the Morecambe fans behind the goal and shouts jokingly to us, "Morecambe will bloody fine me for that lost ball......"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seasider9601

Postby Potted Shrimp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Without my "Potted Shrimps" book to hand written by Sir Ken Ormerod, I think (all approx.)

1987/88 FA Trophy 700
1988/89 FA Cup 1300 (away fans at least 850)
1988/89 ATS Trophy 450

All the above are there or thereabouts :geek:

My first game away at Barrow was on Boxing Day 1987. We were top of the league and I, and another approx.. 20 (yes...... 20......) Shrimps fans made up a crowd of 2300 at Holker Street as we drew 0-0

Excuse my ignorance, but one can thus only assume that the crowds are swollen by the large contingent of Barrow fans as opposed to home ones, also given that it appears not many Morecambe fans travel away - is it a one sided rivalry given that Barrow do not have many local rivals, unlike Morecambe who have many spread accross Lancashire?

What were attendances like when the clubs played eachother in the Conference in the 90's.
Potted Shrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:40 am

Home matches v Barrow always guaranteed bigger than average gates, yes. Swelled indeed by travelling Barrovians from the wrong side of The Bay.

I can remember playing them in our first home game of the Conference season 1998/99 on a Tuesday evening and (IIRC) there was 3,500 fans on CP that evening.

Barrow's rivals have always been us, Workington and Carlisle United traditionally.
Seasider9601

Postby captain sparkle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:52 am

Watching this Big Eejit always does it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hevWTtJ ... oM&index=8
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Posh » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Home matches v Barrow always guaranteed bigger than average gates, yes. Swelled indeed by travelling Barrovians from the wrong side of The Bay.

I can remember playing them in our first home game of the Conference season 1998/99 on a Tuesday evening and (IIRC) there was 3,500 fans on CP that evening.

Barrow's rivals have always been us, Workington and Carlisle United traditionally.

Best Barrow fight was at Holker Street one Boxing Day. Torrential rain meant that both sets of fans met under the home end roof, which was one of only decent dry bits. It was like a cartoon scrap with dust being kicked up everywhere and the rain pouring down you couldn’t see anything from the side where we were.

There was also the time at Christie when you could swap ends at half time. Everyone was waiting to see which side Barrow fans would go down before trying go down the other way. The Barrow fans promptly climbed over the wall and walked down the middle of the pitch. I think I got this right or did I dream it?

Lastly, I went to see Barrow away at Kingstonian with a mate. Ball goes out over fence and caught by a Barrow fan, who climbs over fence, hands the ball to the Barrow striker in both hands, grabs his face and gives the player a big snog on the lips. All the Barrow fans absolutely howling laughing.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes, they did walk down the pitch Posh.

I’ve seen photos of it somewhere.

I’ll try and find them.
Seasider9601

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Yes, they did walk down the pitch Posh.

I’ve seen photos of it somewhere.

I’ll try and find them.

Scary! And they call Millwall. They ain't got nothing on the six fingered crew from up the coast!
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:21 am

Trawled high and low for that photo and can't find it at all....

Can't remember if I saw it on Flickr or the Barrow forum.

Will have to have a chat with my local Barrovian fan and near neighbour Mr Ingham.
Seasider9601

Postby paschahound » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm

So, it's Macc up this weekend.
This brings back a happy memory of the only goal I have seen, live, that went straight in from a corner. We won the match, but I think they ended up going up.
paschahound

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Any to macc one Tuesday night for a gmac cup tie I think, nothing much happened until Andy Hollins went to the loo then Kenny Woodburn scored a rare goal from about 30 yards! Second half again nothing much going on, once again Andy retired off to the loo and bang 2 nil! To say he was a bit peed off would be an understatement! Come all this way and miss 2 goals in an otherwise dull game! Oh how we laughed
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Freez » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Dave Woodburn, I was there, it miserable, drizzly and dark, he never ever shot, but he hit that like a bullet.
Didn’t know Andy had gone to the loo for both, great story.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion