Morecambe FC memories thread

Re: Morecambe FC memories thread

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 pm

The Drummie photo, with the crowd on the pitch, is one of my all time favourite photos that I've ever taken. I've got it and the Jimbo applauding the North Stand on my wall.

I also like the two guys at the end, one sat in the dugout and the other in [presumably] his regular seat, both lost in their own thoughts.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:24 pm

I've got so many great memories from supporting Morecambe that I'd come up with different ones each time I was asked!

One that pings to mind as an 'unusual one' was Baz scoring to equalise v Portsmouth! I can't recall ever seeing a keeper score before, Schmeichel for Notts County with an overhead kick was the closest. When Barry scored, we all leaped up!

Which is a problem when you've forgotten that you are disabled and can't stand unaided!

Peter Day, previously sat next to me, now stood, bouncing, had also forgotten that I was disabled! As I was going back down on to my seat, in a rather ungainly manner, he grabbed me and bounced again! I now had Tigger bouncing and cheering and knocking me around, while I tried to work out if it was possible for me to fall in a safe manner rather than headfirst over the seat in front of me! Fortunately, I managed to grab the back of my seat and pull myself towards it when Peter finally let go! Euphoria & terror both experienced in a split second!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Keith wrote:I've got so many great memories from supporting Morecambe that I'd come up with different ones each time I was asked!

One that pings to mind as an 'unusual one' was Baz scoring to equalise v Portsmouth! I can't recall ever seeing a keeper score before, Schmeichel for Notts County with an overhead kick was the closest. When Barry scored, we all leaped up!

Which is a problem when you've forgotten that you are disabled and can't stand unaided!

Peter Day, previously sat next to me, now stood, bouncing, had also forgotten that I was disabled! As I was going back down on to my seat, in a rather ungainly manner, he grabbed me and bounced again! I now had Tigger bouncing and cheering and knocking me around, while I tried to work out if it was possible for me to fall in a safe manner rather than headfirst over the seat in front of me! Fortunately, I managed to grab the back of my seat and pull myself towards it when Peter finally let go! Euphoria & terror both experienced in a split second!

Memories, memories....but oh so happy memories :)

Wonder if we will ever get another crowd like that.... :?:

Maybe when we play the final game of a season that sees us playing for promotion.... :?:
redrobo

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:33 pm

How about Andy Green's last minute equaliser at home to Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Trophy in January 1993?

That match saw the new floodlights at Christie Park used for the first time ever having seen the match kick off at 1pm at a murky CP.

Replay down at Wycombe on the Tuesday saw us go down 0-2.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Potted Shrimp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Good to see the thread get bumped, thought it would get lost in the analogues of history after some of the nonsense threads started over the last couple of days!
Potted Shrimp

Postby Slanester » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Keith wrote:I've got so many great memories from supporting Morecambe that I'd come up with different ones each time I was asked!

Some great reading on this thread, but that Keith, is brilliant. I can actually see the whole thing in my mind.
Slanester

Postby Brian S » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Dad's collection of bricks & loo signs from the main stand.
Dwight York trying to give me his car keys.
Ralf Little spending a good hour after a charity match talking to fans.
The non-players grabbing all the best biscuits in the press room (portakabin near away end).
Brian S

Postby Potted Shrimp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Brian S wrote:Dwight York trying to give me his car keys.
interesting? Could you explain more?
Potted Shrimp

Postby Lonesome Prawn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 pm

When I was a young lad round about 1960 I went with my mates to a Cub Scout sports evening at Lancaster Road School field. After the event, and boys being boys, we decided to climb over a high wooden fence and when we dropped down on the other side found ourselves in a football ground.
There was a long, low, stand made of wood down one side of the pitch, a shed made of corrugated tin behind one goal and a big banking made of cinders on the side opposite the stand.
When I got home I asked my dad about it and he said it was the Morecambe Football Club ground, and we go along to a match if I wanted. So it was I went with my dad and my best mate to a match against a team called Marine, and started nearly 60 years of supporting the Shrimps.
The first memorable game I can recall attending was the FA Cup match against Weymouth in January 1962 - I remember sitting on the touch line along with all the other young lads and thinking we had equalised, only to find the goal had been disallowed!
Since then there have been loads of highlights with MFC (and lowlights!) topped by two visits to Wembley old and new.
Lonesome Prawn

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 pm

Slanester wrote:Some great reading on this thread, but that Keith, is brilliant. I can actually see the whole thing in my mind.

:D :D :D

Seasider9601 wrote:How about Andy Green's last minute equaliser at home to Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Trophy in January 1993?

Last minute goals. Not only the Barry equaliser, but what about that incredible Crewe game? Some Crewe fans had to leave slightly early in order to get their train home. Apparently they were told at Lancaster station that they'd lost. They thought it was a wind up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But my last minute memory goes back to the Lancashire Junior Cup final v Chorley (leading to the programme cover on the previous page). Way back before mobile phones. At Deepdale. Chorley winning. The cup on the touchline, complete with black & white ribbons. Deep in to injury time, Chorley have a corner. One of the two minibuses from The Pier Hotel decided to beat a the traffic and left the ground. The other bus load remaining. Instead of the ball being played short to kill the last twenty seconds, it was knocked in to the area. The ball was hoofed clear to (I think) Keith Galley, who sprinted towards the Chorley goal and equalised. Extra-time and Morecambe win. By the time the second minibus arrived back in Morecambe, it was full of joyful fans, unlike the first, miserable bus, more than an hour earlier!

Never leave early! I wonder if any Morecambe fans missed Barry's late equaliser by leaving early? Or more to the point, if they did, would they admit to it!!!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:I remember we scored lots of goals against Altrincham at home that season too.

I think we beat them 6-4 at home in the League Cup (they were 1-0 up after just 10 seconds in the snow at Christie) and then we beat them 7-0 in the league with John Norman being absolutely outstanding.

That, after we lost 0-3 at their place early on in the season and we were utterly woeful.....

That season I tried to get my Dad to come along more often, so when I was up from London I took him to games. Not sure if I get this right but we saw us beat Sheffield FC 7-1, then Kettering 5-3 and then Gainsborough Trinity 6-2 including Coley scoring the fastest ever FA Cup hat-trick. After I went back down South my Dad went on his own for the first time and saw us beat Dover 4-1. I rang him and asked how it was and he said, “not going again, not enough goals.”
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Posh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 pm

So many memories. Obviously one favourite is my first full season after moving back from London.

For a laugh, at the first away game we got a message read out on the tannoy for our friend Stevie Downs. He was 40 odd at the time and we got “congratulations on becoming a Grandad” read out at half time. Queue every single away game without one missing plus one home game and a few others we got him an announcement. Here’s a few I remember:

“Just returned from an expedition to the South Pole”. - Burton Albion
“First male referee in the North West Netball League” - ???
“Norminated for a BAFTA for best short animated film” - Gravesend & Northfleet
“First match after a delicate genital operation” - Leigh RMI
“Carpet Salesman of the Year” - Scarborough
“Celi Webber asks,’will you marry me?’” - Farnborough - Valentine’s Day

Great season.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Brian S » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:16 am

Potted Shrimp wrote:
Brian S wrote:Dwight York trying to give me his car keys.
interesting? Could you explain more?

Rovers v Utd and he turned up 15 minutes before kick-off in some very low, noisy sports car. It was my job on the car park so he pulled up, said he needed to get to the dressing room and tried to hand me the keys to park it. Sadly we new he would be late and there was a space by G1 for him. He was coming back from injury, played about 70 minutes then put 3 in against Arsenal on the Saturday.
Brian S

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 am

Seasider9601 wrote:How about Andy Green's last minute equaliser at home to Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Trophy in January 1993?

That match saw the new floodlights at Christie Park used for the first time ever having seen the match kick off at 1pm at a murky CP.

Replay down at Wycombe on the Tuesday saw us go down 0-2.

A good report from a Wycombe site about the two games. Worth a read for the memories....

"a pitch described as "Morecambe Bay with the tide out"

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1992 ... 1993-1.htm
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am

Morecambe 6 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Not sure who "Danny Charleton" was.......!! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3099713.stm
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:41 am

Posh wrote:we saw us beat Sheffield FC 7-1

Yep, that Sheffield win ultimately saw us reach the 1st Round Proper in that 1996/97 season.

And then THIS happened....... :evil: :evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU3ov-IL9o8
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:27 pm

8 seconds of Morecambe v Hull City footage from the FA Cup at CP in 1991.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlead0WhruA
Seasider9601

Postby Richard Head » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:14 pm

So many to pick from. First away match at South Liverpool in the Lancashire Floodlit Trophy, 1-0 win if I remember correctly. The Senior Cup final win at Christie against an almost full strength Burnley side. FA Trophy win against Dartford. Play off win at Wembley followed a few months later by League Cup wins at Preston and Wolves.

All those and many more plus anytime we beat Lancaster, I've always hated those c*nts
Richard Head

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Richard Head wrote:anytime we beat Lancaster, I've always hated those c*nts

+1.

My first ever Morecambe away game was at The Huge Chopper.

Lancashire ATS Trophy Quarter Final in the 1986/87 season.

We beat them 3-2 in front of a massive crowd (for that lot....) of approx. 700.

600 of which were from Morecambe.
Seasider9601

Postby Richard Head » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:21 pm

I've always thought that my first Lancaster match was a Boxing Day 3-0 win at Christie sometime in the 60's but I could be completely wrong.

Then there was the FA cup tie that went to a second replay (the last ever second replay in the FA cup), 1-1 at the shithole then 2-2 and 4-1 at Christie

There was a midweek FA trophy match at Lancaster 2003? that sticks in my mind for some reason. A 1-0 win on a pitch that had a close resemblance to a plowed field
Richard Head

Postby black morse » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:23 pm

FA Trophy for me. Took my nephew who was about 9 at the time and he was fascinated by a fight between 2 fans at the end :roll:
black morse

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 am

I remember an FA Trophy match at home to Barrow during the 1987/88 season.

First half we were attacking the Christie Avenue end and our fans were congregated behind the goal there.

Behind the other goal - the pre North Stand uncovered terrace -stood the massed ranks of Barrovians and their usual smattering of knobheads.

About 10 minutes into the game, a load of Morecambe's, errrr, knob heads entered the ground where the Barrow lot were stood and it all went off big style. I can distinctly to this very day hear the late Andy Hollins shouting from behind the goal when he saw the Morecambe lot enter the ground at the other end, "don't just stand there!! Get 'em now you soft b@$t@rd$....."

To compound the misery, we lost 2-4.
Seasider9601

Postby Potted Shrimp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:55 pm

There is a chance, that I may have seen Morecambe even earlier than I thought as I used to watch Horwich RMI (near to home) a few times with my dad at Grundy Hill and he is fairly sure one of those games was against Morecambe.

It would have been one of the first games I would ever watched, I remember distinctively the dramatic sloping pitch and old seated stand, Bolton Wanderers reserves or youth used to play there.

The ground was sold to property developers and the club moved to Leigh and became 'Leigh RMI' who I also used to watch quite regularly - they had a good run in the conference before sliding down the pyramid and pretty much disappearing completely after a brief revival as Leigh Genesis - their crowds even at Conference level were truly appalling and unsustainable.

Did any one here ever go to Grundy Hill, Horwich RMI?
Potted Shrimp

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:

Did any one here ever go to Grundy Hill, Horwich RMI?

Yes..plenty of times to watch Morecambe... and several times to be told the match was off due to unfit pitch!

Somebody will either back me up or correct me, but one memory from Grundy Hill is the arrival of Jim McCluskies first goal for us. After playing quite a few matches Jim had still not scored. It was not as if he was playing badly but every attempt seemed to be saved, blocked on the line or hit the post.
When his goal went in at Horwich I seem to remember most of the sizeable Morecambe following behind the goal invading the pitch to celebrate with him!
Alan

Postby paschahound » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:I remember an FA Trophy match at home to Barrow during the 1987/88 season.

First half we were attacking the Christie Avenue end and our fans were congregated behind the goal there.

Behind the other goal - the pre North Stand uncovered terrace -stood the massed ranks of Barrovians and their usual smattering of knobheads.

About 10 minutes into the game, a load of Morecambe's, errrr, knob heads entered the ground where the Barrow lot were stood and it all went off big style. I can distinctly to this very day hear the late Andy Hollins shouting from behind the goal when he saw the Morecambe lot enter the ground at the other end, "don't just stand there!! Get 'em now you soft b@$t@rd$....."

To compound the misery, we lost 2-4.

A couple of their goals in that game were among the best I saw at CP. They were very long range shots from near the half way line.

The game against Barrow a year or two later was more impressive though. It finished 0-0 and we played 10 at the back. Marshal Petain would have been proud that day.
paschahound

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion