O/T North Ferriby United

Re: O/T North Ferriby United

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:15 pm

I was wondering that actually just now.... I think you're right now I think back.

I'll ask him.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Potted Shrimp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Does anyone have any more details of this I'll fabled game between MFC and NFFC? Tried to research online and can't find anything!
Potted Shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Potted Shrimp wrote:Does anyone have any more details of this I'll fabled game between MFC and NFFC? Tried to research online and can't find anything!

If you know club historian Laurence Bland he will have details. I can give him a ring if you like.

Someone else who would know is Mick Thornton , a lifelong fan who I know went to this game.

My gut feeling is we lost as I don't think we played any further games in this competition.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Potted Shrimp » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 am

What was the competition?
Potted Shrimp

Postby paschahound » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:37 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Potted Shrimp wrote:Does anyone have any more details of this I'll fabled game between MFC and NFFC? Tried to research online and can't find anything!

My gut feeling is we lost as I don't think we played any further games in this competition.

It was 1-1 at CP and we lost the replay at North Ferriby.
We were completely on top throughout (as much as we were in the Esh Winning game a few weeks earlier), but couldn't score more than one thanks to their keeper, the referee, and bad luck. Their goal was totally against the run of play.
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am

I've not seen Mick Thornton for years G_S ..... !!!! Does he still attend The Globe?

I remember that Esh Winning game so well....!! One of my favourite memories of the old place....!!

:D
Seasider9601

Postby paschahound » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 am

Seasider9601 wrote:
I remember that Esh Winning game so well....!! One of my favourite memories of the old place....!!

There were so many funny moments in that game too. Peter McDonnell doing his aeroplane impressions for ages in the second half, their keeper constantly turning round and surveying a wall of home fans stretched right across the width of the barrier just a metre or so behind him, their centre-back having an absolutely massive beer belly and at one point stood on the ball and fell over...

Better stop reminiscing now or Keith's going to relabel this thread as the thread for OAP supporters with confused memories only and all similar posts must stay within :lol:
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

I remember Les Taylor's programme notes for the next home game AFTER that Esh Winning victory.

It said something like, "granted, Esh Winning weren't the best of opponents, but they still have to be beaten."

Now, my mum always read my match programmes back in those days when I got home from the match and I can hear her now having read the above, "I thought you said they'd won 8-0 last week ?? It implies here it was a draw and a replay is needed to try and beat them...."

I've always remembered that............ !!!!!!!! :lol:

Now Keith, as paschahound alludes to, how about an "Old Fogies Memory Thread" as a "sticky" ??

Please ?????!!!!!!!! A place to put memories like this and old photos etc of which there were a few on here some years ago.
Seasider9601

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:53 am

Seasider9601 wrote:I've not seen Mick Thornton for years G_S ..... !!!! Does he still attend The Globe?

I think Mick still goes and sits in the E stand. I saw him a couple of years ago after a match.

Esh Winning were possible the worst team I have ever seen at Christie , didn't they have to name the coach driver as a substitute ! Their number 8 was the worst player ever to grace Christie and when he was subbed he walked off and bashed his head on the dug-out roof.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 am

I remember another battle in the FA Cup too early in the 1988/89 season when we played Northallerton Town at Christie Park.

It was early into Eric Whalley's reign (RIP Eric) and victories that season were few and far between.

However, we beat Northallerton 3-2 I think it was?

The biggest and loudest applause of the day though wasn't for a Morecambe goal or indeed the win, but when the opposition Centre Half was subbed.

He only had one arm but had an unbelievably brilliant game and got an amazing reception from the Morecambe fans when he was taken off.

(We need a sticky for this sort of stuff Keith ;) )
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am

Going back to the North Ferriby game, I've just remembered.

As we were the holders of the Lancashire ATS Challenge Trophy, we were representing Lancashire in this short lived Cup Competition.

North Ferriby were representing their area in the North East.

:geek: :geek: :geek:
Seasider9601

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Now Keith, as paschahound alludes to, how about an "Old Fogies Memory Thread" as a "sticky" ??

Please ?????!!!!!!!! A place to put memories like this and old photos etc of which there were a few on here some years ago.

Feel free to start a new thread! That bloody 'song' thread refuses to die and the ex-player one trundles on without being a sticky!

We went through a run of North East trips in cup matches back then. Billingham Town and Billingham Sinthonia (spelling?) and my favourite, Chester-le-Street. Chester-le-Street used the pub for getting changed. There was a commentator for local BBC Radio, sat in a car next to the pitch. One of our supporters had a radio and tuned in. The commentary was the most biased you've ever heard, making out that Chester-le-Street were on top and unlucky to be losing, so we all moved around to the car and stood around it singing. The somewhat intimidated commentator suddenly became more 'pro-Morecambe'!

Great time in the bar too. I think we scored five?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Two Cup trips to the North East spring readily to mind for me that I went on.

November 1990 away at Shildon in the FA Trophy. Instead of coming off the M6 at junction 38 and heading for Scotch Corner, the coach driver headed up to Carlisle, across to Newcastle and then back down to Shildon and we arrived at Half Time. A fuming coachload of passengers....

September 1989 away at Ferryhill Athletic, again in the FA Trophy. Shocking performance. Woeful.
Left at half time and spent the second half in the bar with Mick Thornton and the late Dave Whalley.
Ground was a dump, no canteen, no programmes.
Seasider9601

Postby Phil Anderer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Keith wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:Now Keith, as paschahound alludes to, how about an "Old Fogies Memory Thread" as a "sticky" ??

Feel free to start a new thread! That bloody 'song' thread refuses to die and the ex-player one trundles on without being a sticky!

We went through a run of North East trips in cup matches back then. Billingham Town and Billingham Sinthonia (spelling?) and my favourite, Chester-le-Street. Chester-le-Street used the pub for getting changed. There was a commentator for local BBC Radio, sat in a car next to the pitch. One of our supporters had a radio and tuned in. The commentary was the most biased you've ever heard, making out that Chester-le-Street were on top and unlucky to be losing, so we all moved around to the car and stood around it singing. The somewhat intimidated commentator suddenly became more 'pro-Morecambe'!

Great time in the bar too. I think we scored five?

What, worse than Radio Bias? Come on Freez, up your game man! :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm

I'm getting old now but did anyone else get to South Shields in the away leg of the Trophy in 75? Quaint little town :cry: Ground was a big bowl situated in the middle of one of the biggest council estates in Europe. The social club outside was closed due to being burned to the ground sometime previous. There was a mini riot between the more anti social elements from each side during the game but we won 2-0 setting up our first visit to Wembley :D

Visits to Bishop Auckland were also interesting. Remember going there for a cup game many moons ago. We were getting hammered 3-0 at half time and we left to wander the high street before catching the bus back. Full time was 5-0 to them I think :o Went again for another game and there must have been more folk in the massive social club at the side of the ground than there was in the game.Sat in the main stand and some Geordie bufoon tried to nick the huge Morecambe flag we had hung in front of us. He got sent packing and I think it got a bit heated again when he returned with his mates but can't remember anything else about the match! Must have been one of those very boring ones. Decent non-league team back in the day Bishop Auckland but you never hear from them nowadays!
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:02 pm

The NPL have confirmed that North Ferriby United are no more and that their results and fixtures have been expunged(great word). Sad news.
BerlinWaller

Previous

Return to General Discussion