O/T North Ferriby United

O/T North Ferriby United

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Sadly the 2015 FA Trophy winners have officially folded today, after the club was issued a winding up order in court this morning. They owed just £7k but were unable to raise it.
BerlinWaller

Re: O/T North Ferriby United

Postby paschahound » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:38 am

Wow, that's peanuts. Surprised a fan consortium couldn't have got together to do something.

Wasn't it them who we played in that most farcical game ever in the late 80's? I may be wrong, but it was some small Yorkshire team. The County Cup or something, that was played on a Sunday and ended 1-1 somehow, as we were totally on top, and the ref forgot his rule book so didn't play the extra time that was supposed to have taken place and by the time he had realised, their players had rushed to get changed.
paschahound

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am

paschahound wrote:Wow, that's peanuts. Surprised a fan consortium couldn't have got together to do something.

Wasn't it them who we played in that most farcical game ever in the late 80's? I may be wrong, but it was some small Yorkshire team. The County Cup or something, that was played on a Sunday and ended 1-1 somehow, as we were totally on top, and the ref forgot his rule book so didn't play the extra time that was supposed to have taken place and by the time he had realised, their players had rushed to get changed.

I think you are correct. We won the Lancashire FA Trophy and as a "reward" we represented the Lancashire FA and were drawn away at North Ferriby United.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:06 am

If a club closes like this, what does it take to get them going again, simply the £7000, or extra to buy the actual business, and proof that the club would be run properly ?
jbc.shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:22 am

jbc.shrimp wrote:If a club closes like this, what does it take to get them going again, simply the £7000, or extra to buy the actual business, and proof that the club would be run properly ?

I think the 7k was the tip of the iceberg. By the sounds of it there was some heavy investment followed by some short term success but it was unsustainable. A run in the conference and the FA Trophy win was as good as it got. Once the investment stopped the club died.
BerlinWaller

Postby paschahound » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
paschahound wrote:Wow, that's peanuts. Surprised a fan consortium couldn't have got together to do something.

I think you are correct. We won the Lancashire FA Trophy and as a "reward" we represented the Lancashire FA and were drawn away at North Ferriby United.

Right, reward from the Chorley win. We were at home first though and lost the replay. Very low gate that day, must have been less than 200. The ref was a complete joke even before the end of match debacle and never stopped shouting praise at their keeper throughout the match.
paschahound

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 am

paschahound wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:

Right, reward from the Chorley win. We were at home first though and lost the replay. Very low gate that day, must have been less than 200. The ref was a complete joke even before the end of match debacle and never stopped shouting praise at their keeper throughout the match.

Well the keeper was his son! ;) :D
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby paschahound » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:

That's a really funny thing to say :lol:

Err...you got to be kidding...right? :shock:

Edit...ok, I can still picture the ref that day and he was between 35 and 40, so I guess this is a joke :lol:
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 am

paschahound wrote:Wasn't it them who we played in that most farcical game ever in the late 80's?.

I'm pretty sure this Sunday game was played the day after we had played Bishop Auckland at home in the 1986/87 season FA Cup Third Qualifying Round.

Bishops beat us 2-1 at Christie, and I'm sure this match was played the day after.

I remember being gutted I couldn't go because my parents wouldn't drive me to CP from Carnforth again....!! :( :lol: :lol:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:33 am

paschahound wrote:

Edit...ok, I can still picture the ref that day and he was between 35 and 40, so I guess this is a joke :lol:

Yes it's totally fake news! It just made me smile that the ref for some reason was encouraging the keeper. Took me back to the old days of watching one of my sons (a keeper) playing junior then local league adult football. I usually ran the line as a volunteer and had to combine that with giving him verbal support. Maybe they got the ref from Local Leagues for this one off glorified friendly of a game? Therefore his attitude could have been far more relaxed than we usually see.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby paschahound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:
paschahound wrote:Wasn't it them who we played in that most farcical game ever in the late 80's?.

I'm pretty sure this Sunday game was played the day after we had played Bishop Auckland at home in the 1986/87 season FA Cup Third Qualifying Round.

Bishops beat us 2-1 at Christie, and I'm sure this match was played the day after.

I remember being gutted I couldn't go because my parents wouldn't drive me to CP from Carnforth again....!! :( :lol: :lol:

You should've used a push-bike. It was a Sunday afternoon after all.

That Bishops game was really frustrating. Thought we might just nick the draw when Gamble scored with a great curving shot 10 minutes from time. But we (briefly) had one of the most hopeless wingers of the Joe Woj era at that time, who had no idea how to cross a ball and sliced a cross out of play in the last minute, when all it needed was a simple ball for a free chance on goal.
paschahound

Postby paschahound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:58 pm

paschahound wrote:

Yes it's totally fake news! It just made me smile that the ref for some reason was encouraging the keeper. Took me back to the old days of watching one of my sons (a keeper) playing junior then local league adult football. I usually ran the line as a volunteer and had to combine that with giving him verbal support. Maybe they got the ref from Local Leagues for this one off glorified friendly of a game? Therefore his attitude could have been far more relaxed than we usually see.

You had me wondering for a minute or two :D
Mind you, he did speak with a very Yorkshire accent so...
paschahound

Postby Freez » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Frankly Gamble, an enigma. Scored one and set one up at Stafford Rangers in the first 3 minutes at Marston Road in the GMAC Cup, when they were a top Conference team and we were top 6 NPL. We drew 2-2 in the end.

How times change?
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Freez » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Who was the Joe Woj crap winger?
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Freez wrote:Who was the Joe Woj crap winger?

The player Frank Gamble which he refers to was some character. I remember going on the players coach in the days when they allowed spectators to travel on it for an away game in Carnarvon. A 3-3 draw and he scored a couple of crackers. On the way home the coach stopped at a pub and Frank drank 6 pints of lager before the coach set off !
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:55 pm

I was wondering that too Freez.

Vaughn Williams ??
Seasider9601

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I remember going on the players coach in the days when they allowed spectators to travel on it for an away game

Those were the days... when our away following could fit on the team coach! I remember after one match when Andy Hollings got in to a fight with a director! That may have been the beginning of the end for spectators on the team coach.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:

I was wondering that too Freez.

Vaughn Williams ??

Maybe Graham Gill ?
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:26 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Sadly the 2015 FA Trophy winners have officially folded today, after the club was issued a winding up order in court this morning. They owed just £7k but were unable to raise it.

This unfair dismissal case probably didn't help their cause in the long run either:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/f ... ss-1511537
Seasider9601

Postby paschahound » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am

Definitely not Vaughen Williams (who I thought was a decent player). I wouldn't disrespect the memory of Graham Gill, despite his unremarkable goal ratio compared to his Workington days. It wasn't any of the other regulars of that season: Sayer, Carruthers, Szabo, Large, Galley, Kennedy, Jones, Lancaster...

I can't remember the name of the player I'm thinking of, but I remember we signed someone with football league experience, who only played a very few games for us, mostly as sub and was terrible.

Then again, it was a long time ago and my memory might be playing tricks, though the awful slice right at the end sticks in mind.
paschahound

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am

paschahound wrote:

Definitely not Vaughen Williams (who I thought was a decent player). I wouldn't disrespect the memory of Graham Gill, despite his unremarkable goal ratio compared to his Workington days. It wasn't any of the other regulars of that season: Sayer, Carruthers, Szabo, Large, Galley, Kennedy, Jones, Lancaster...

I can't remember the name of the player I'm thinking of, but I remember we signed someone with football league experience, who only played a very few games for us, mostly as sub and was terrible.

Then again, it was a long time ago and my memory might be playing tricks, though the awful slice right at the end sticks in mind.

Was it Marshall Burke ? A former Burnley player who signed for us around that time.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 am

I was literally just going to say Marshall Burke.....

He had no teeth in his mouth and was literally toothless up front.

Alan Carruthers was pretty woeful from that team too.

The late Dave Mitchinson also came in for some stick from the paddock area as I recall.
Seasider9601

Postby paschahound » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm

I can't remember now. And it's very frustrating. It might even have been Graham Gill making a mess of the cross and I'm confusing him with someone else.
For anyone in their teens and twenties today, it's fortunate in that all the ifollow recordings will surely be stored and available somewhere, to look back on in 30 years.
paschahound

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Aye.

Meanwhile, we can only reminisce verbally about Graham Gill watching planes take off from Manchester Airport during an away game at Hyde United and also Graham Jones' spectacular back passes which (sometimes) resulted in own goals being scored....!!

One of which I had on Video at one time in the home GMAC Cup Semi Final v Weymouth in April 1988.
Seasider9601

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Aye.

Meanwhile, we can only reminisce verbally about Graham Gill watching planes take off from Manchester Airport during an away game at Hyde United and also Graham Jones' spectacular back passes which (sometimes) resulted in own goals being scored....!!

One of which I had on Video at one time in the home GMAC Cup Semi Final v Weymouth in April 1988.

Wasn't the own goal against Weymouth by Stimmo ?
Gone_Shrimping

Next

Return to General Discussion