Current squad

Current squad

Postby Dublin Shrimp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 pm

So take the current squad and consider we have no injuries, what's the potential of this team?
Mid table....play offs???
Dublin Shrimp

Re: Current squad

Postby black morse » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm

If we get to mid table it will be a great achievement considering where we are now. Play offs are a giant step too far.
black morse

Postby Andy D » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm

The last time we gate crashed the play-off It was probably around this time of the season when we went on that winning run.

You never know a partnership of Bennett & Collins could be like another Mullin & Jevons.
Andy D

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:06 pm

I think with a ‘normal’ level of injuries this season, and the additions in January, we have a squad capable of challenging for the play offs.

Now, I think if we’d hit this combination and run of form perhaps four games earlier, we may have gate crashed. Yeovil was a bit of a killer. Plus, we’ve had more than a fair share of referees’ decisions against us too. Probably six or seven points been down to poor decisions.

Keep the basics of this squad together & fit for next season and who knows?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Slanester » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:28 pm

It’s brilliant, how the new signings......... have brought the “injection” of goals, hence wins, hence team confidence, hence improved team form all over the park......and as fans we now feel confident enough to be discussing what “dizzy” heights we might achieve. Mid table this season, would be a serious achievement. COYS.

Also, I feel that Sutton has been a very good signing, slotted in well from day 1.
Slanester

Postby Niborian_Shrimp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 am

If everything went our way we could still finish 3rd...

Never say never.
Niborian_Shrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Out of the loanee's in the current squad, how many are we ( hopefully )looking to take on full contracts at the end of the season ?
jbc.shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

jbc.shrimp wrote:Out of the loanee's in the current squad, how many are we ( hopefully )looking to take on full contracts at the end of the season ?

I would hope both Bennett and Mingoia if we can manage these financially. The boy from Leeds obviously will return to Elland Road.

I hope we can extend Collins' contract and they need to do that now before he is poached.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby halfwayprawn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Eggsactly to good to be toast.
halfwayprawn

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm

I think Collins has to be the priority at the moment. If we can tie him down with a two year extension while he's still buzzing with us, that would be perfect.

Over summer, it will be more tricky with Bennett and Mingoia I believe. Bennett's contract with Carlisle runs out in June, so all we can really do is make him an offer and make him feel wanted here. Hopefully he will pick us instead of a Carlisle extension, should they offer one. Currently 28 so no fee involved.

Mingoia is contracted till 2020, although if Accrington stay up this season it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that Coleman may be happy to terminate his contract if he's not in his plans. That would leave him open for a move to us hopefully.

Transfermarkt have a list of our current contracts: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-more ... erein/3697

Some key players, including Oates, Tutte and most of our defence, are tied up till 2020 which is good. Interesting decisions to made at LB with Cranston and Conlan, and then at CM with Wildig and Fleming. Presume Cranston has done enough this season. Wildig and Fleming will be interesting, both had long injury absences but Fleming excellent pre-injury and Wildig seemingly making an impact on his return.

Up front, probably safe to assume Campbell will be on his way out. Not sure what will happen with Oliver, although there were rumours about Jim trying to send him out on loan last summer? That would probably point to him being released too. Will be interesting, too, to see how we move forward with AJ. In a perfect world, it would be great to have him in a quality strike force with Bennett and Collins, but money may play a factor. After half a season out, though, I can't imagine there'll be many other clubs sniffing around for him.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
Little Shrimp

Postby Shrimpy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 pm

I think the most interesting situation in our squad is the goalkeeper position.

Barry and Mark are both out of contract in the Summer. Who do we now consider as our number 1? Could we end up releasing Barry? He's an absolute legend but turns 37 next month and I'm guessing would be one of our highest paid players? Has Mark done enough this season for us to feel comfortable in moving on from Barry?

A tough, tough decision for Jim.
Shrimpy

Postby black morse » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Shrimpy wrote:I think the most interesting situation in our squad is the goalkeeper position.

Barry and Mark are both out of contract in the Summer. Who do we now consider as our number 1? Could we end up releasing Barry? He's an absolute legend but turns 37 next month and I'm guessing would be one of our highest paid players? Has Mark done enough this season for us to feel comfortable in moving on from Barry?

I wouldn't rule out Baz too soon as someone could easily come in for Mark and then we'd be in difficulty as we were when we released Podge and Redshaw then went. As you say....tough decisions. Much may depend on how Mark performs for the rest of the season.
black morse

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Shrimpy wrote:I think the most interesting situation in our squad is the goalkeeper position.

I would keep them both. Having someone like Baz on the bench makes Mark know he has to perform to keep the shirt and vica versa when Baz has the shirt he knows Mark is chomping at the bit to get in the team. Pointless having a deputy like Dan or Laurie Walker as that is just a waste of money.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Shrimpy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:I would keep them both. Having someone like Baz on the bench makes Mark know he has to perform to keep the shirt and vica versa when Baz has the shirt he knows Mark is chomping at the bit to get in the team. Pointless having a deputy like Dan or Laurie Walker as that is just a waste of money.

I think we'd struggle to keep them both if the plan was Barry being the backup.

As I said before, I'd imagine he's one of our highest paid players and there's no way we would invest the limited money we have available on a highly paid backup goalkeeper.

Personally I think if we were to keep both of them it would have to be with Barry as the number 1 and Mark as backup unless Barry was willing to accept a backup role and also take a big cut in his wage.
Shrimpy

Postby Caton83 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Can't see either keeper willing to be second fiddle next season. I reckon Baz will stay and Mark will be released. Both have contributed too much this season not to be first choice next season. Tough decision to make but only my opinion.
Caton83

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am

If Baz wants to carry on, then he’d probably be our number one next season. But, after a few injuries he may feel it is time to call it a day. I’d say it comes down to how he is physically now. If we could tie Mark up on a two year deal, I’d love to see him staying.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am

black morse wrote:

I wouldn't rule out Baz too soon as someone could easily come in for Mark and then we'd be in difficulty as we were when we released Podge and Redshaw then went. As you say....tough decisions. Much may depend on how Mark performs for the rest of the season.

Also depends on whether Baz is back to his best. Not that easy to come back as you get older. He may be an icon at Morecambe but, unfortunately, we can't afford to keep Baz just because he has done us proud in the past.
black morse

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am

I was thinking about the goalkeeper situation the other day and yes it’s a tough one.

If Marks wages are cheap enough then arguably we should re-sign both him and Baz on the understanding that Baz will take more of a back up role. I still think Baz has one more season in him but I wouldn’t want to lose Mark Halstead because he’s fed up of playing second fiddle to Baz. Tricky!

Signing Bennett should be a priority, to replace Oliver as first choice striker (sorry Vadaine). A two year deal for Collins too.

Then I would just like to see a quality central midfielder - unless the likes of Tutte and Fleming can step up and stay injury free.
CityShrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Sometimes players have to realise their careers are on the back nine. If we can keep hold of both great, but I would make Mark first choice. If we then lose Barry... Unfortunate! ! ! !
jbc.shrimp

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:09 pm

Don't be surprised if Baz signs a 1 year deal that will see him as No2 BUT with more coaching of our Academy and Junior squads as I seem to recall him saying that he sees his future in a coaching capacity.

Remember Baz is also a qualified media writer having studied at Uni for a degree I recall him saying in a radio interview a year of so ago, so it's not though football will be his only wage earner.
redrobo

Postby black morse » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm

For me, the retention of most of the players we now have is essential if we are going to advance. It will show whether our owners really have the interests of the club at heart or.......?
black morse

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:21 pm

For me I feel we need more strength in defence and certainly a power house with a bit of a 'nasty' streak in midfield. We loose to many second balls and tackles in midfield which encourages the opposition to come onto us.
redrobo

Postby Ntini » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:49 pm

redrobo wrote:Don't be surprised if Baz signs a 1 year deal that will see him as No2 BUT with more coaching of our Academy and Junior squads as I seem to recall him saying that he sees his future in a coaching capacity.

This is how I would imagine it to pan out as well.

If both are fit and available for next season, I think Mark has to be the priority as the long-term resident between the sticks. I don't imagine he would be happy playing second fiddle, nor do I think it would aid his development.

I think Mark's proven he is more than good enough to be our No 1, and we have to look at the long term. It would be a shame to see Baz go completely, but it would be even more of a shame if Mark is let go in favour of Baz, only to see big Baz retire next season and we are left with a sub-par first team keeper thereafter.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Andy D » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Ntini wrote:
redrobo wrote:Don't be surprised if Baz signs a 1 year deal that will see him as No2 BUT with more coaching of our Academy and Junior squads as I seem to recall him saying that he sees his future in a coaching capacity.

This is how I would imagine it to pan out as well.

If both are fit and available for next season, I think Mark has to be the priority as the long-term resident between the sticks. I don't imagine he would be happy playing second fiddle, nor do I think it would aid his development.

I think Mark's proven he is more than good enough to be our No 1, and we have to look at the long term. It would be a shame to see Baz go completely, but it would be even more of a shame if Mark is let go in favour of Baz, only to see big Baz retire next season and we are left with a sub-par first team keeper thereafter.

Yes.

But we already have an able Goalkeeping Coach in Lee Jones, I can see Barry slowly following Neil Wainwright, doing is coaching badges aswell as competing with Mark Halstead.
Andy D

Postby paschahound » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 am

The squad now is fantastic and has gelled really well compared to the start of the season. With regards to nets, I'd like to see Halstead remain top choice as he's been excellent. Roche, given he'll be 37, should move towards coaching as well as back-up.
Collins needs to be given a longer contract and Mingoia and Bennett need to be signed if at all possible.
I'd pedal / release Oliver. I'm not sure about Steve Old either, unless we need a coach for the defence.
paschahound

Next

Return to General Discussion