Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Re: Current Squad

Postby Shrimpy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Rapid Shrimp, you are missing Brewitt from your list.
Shrimpy

Postby redrobo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 pm

I still feel that we need an experienced defensive midfielder to stop the opposition from getting into space to have a pop at goals. From January to the end of the season we had the worst defensive record which we need to rectify as a matter of priority.

Up front another striker to compensate for the loss of Collins would be welcome but maybe both my areas of concern will be resolved by unknown players who have made a commitment but unable to be announce due to their current contractual situations.
redrobo

Postby black morse » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:40 am

Keith wrote:Come on Zak, put pen to paper! This squad is looking good already.

I've always said it would be great to see a squad together right at the start of pre-season training and working together. This group of lads appear to be really happy together. That togetherness is worth a lot.

Calling Zak Mills!!!
black morse

Postby Keith » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

redrobo wrote:From January to the end of the season we had the worst defensive record...

Sod that! From January to the end of the season we were top Play Off's position! I'll settle for worst defensive record and promotion thank you very much!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby black morse » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:From January to the end of the season we had the worst defensive record...

Sod that! From January to the end of the season we were top Play Off's position! I'll settle for worst defensive record and promotion thank you very much!

Agreed. If we had the worst defensive record in that time it was probably because we were playing more attacking football (which I seem to remember was what you were calling for RR....you want your cake and eat it). I'm with Keith on this one.
black morse

Postby Phil Anderer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 am

black morse wrote:
Keith wrote:

Agreed. If we had the worst defensive record in that time it was probably because we were playing more attacking football (which I seem to remember was what you were calling for RR....you want your cake and eat it). I'm with Keith on this one.

Anybody remember reaching the playoffs? We had a terrible defensive record that season. The big mistake in the away playoff semi was Sammy setting up to play for a draw when we had that bad a defence. Had we kept playing the style that had got us there in the first place, who knows? We might have been promoted too high too quick, unable to afford it, and collapsed financially and be playing in Conference North by now. ;) :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby redrobo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 am

black morse wrote:
Keith wrote:

Too bloody right I do...and with jam on it as well....... :D

A successful team is built on a sound defense.

God forbid that we have yet another problem with scoring goals as we had prior to Collins coming on board.

JB has to cover any eventuality.
redrobo

Postby jbc.shrimp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Although it's a big disappointment losing the likes of Collins, Mills, and Bennett. I'm sure Jim will have targets willing to sign on. Just a pity it seems to be getting near the new season when we're signing them.
jbc.shrimp

Postby paschahound » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Really disappointed not to see Collins and Bennett in the side next season. I hope Jim manages to produce some magic again and discover another successful striker.
paschahound

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Not a good last few days :(

Joining Mandeville on the “moving on” list are Bennett, Mills and Collins. Mingoia is still contracted at Accrington and Vadaine left for geographical issues. Only even close first team signing has been Stockton and let’s be honest, the players we’ve signed up are good, but the same ones who have struggled so much for the last few seasons. I don’t have much reason to be excited or positive about this season! Let’s not forget how awful we were in the first half of the season (even w/ Mandeville) and it was the signings of Bennett, Mingoia and especially Collins who pushed us safely away from the relegation zone.

I have faith that Jim can sign some decent players but I feel like we were lucky to almost have a 100% success rate with our first team loanees, something which you can’t guarantee at all.

I have a feeling we will be scraping the barrel of free agents in the next month or so, as usual.

Shrimpy wrote:Rapid Shrimp, you are missing Brewitt from your list.

Sorted thanks

Roche (1)
Halstead (2)

Sutton (1)
Old (1)
Lavelle (1)
Brownsword (1)
Brewitt (1/2)
Conlan (2)
Cranston (2)

Tutte (1)
Fleming (1/2)
Jagne (1)
Mendes Gomes (1)
Wildig (1)
Kenyon (?)

Oates (1)
Ellison (1)
Howard (1/2)
Hawley (1)
Leitch-Smith (2)
Stockton (1)
RapidShrimp

Postby Slanester » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:14 pm

I am as disappointed as it gets, along with all other Shrimps supporters. But in reality, did we really believe that any of the players that have moved on, would sign for us. It comes down to that same old boring subject, unfortunately.
Slanester

Postby black morse » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Slanester wrote:I am as disappointed as it gets, along with all other Shrimps supporters. But in reality, did we really believe that any of the players that have moved on, would sign for us. It comes down to that same old boring subject, unfortunately.

Yes but I think we were all dreaming of the possibility, however remote, of more or less keeping that team together and having a shot at the play offs :(
black morse

Postby Slanester » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 pm

black morse wrote:
Yes but I think we were all dreaming of the possibility, however remote, of more or less keeping that team together and having a shot at the play offs :(

Absolutely bm, myself included.
Slanester

Postby black morse » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:50 pm

I probably should have known it wasn't going to happen as I had some information some time ago that Jim was not expecting to keep some of the younger players much to his regret. Didn't say anything at the time as it was in confidence.
black morse

Postby black morse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:03 pm

RapidShrimp wrote:Not a good last few days :(

Joining Mandeville on the “moving on” list are Bennett, Mills and Collins. Mingoia is still contracted at Accrington and Vadaine left for geographical issues. Only even close first team signing has been Stockton and let’s be honest, the players we’ve signed up are good, but the same ones who have struggled so much for the last few seasons. I don’t have much reason to be excited or positive about this season! Let’s not forget how awful we were in the first half of the season (even w/ Mandeville) and it was the signings of Bennett, Mingoia and especially Collins who pushed us safely away from the relegation zone.

I have faith that Jim can sign some decent players but I feel like we were lucky to almost have a 100% success rate with our first team loanees, something which you can’t guarantee at all.

I have a feeling we will be scraping the barrel of free agents in the next month or so, as usual.

Shrimpy wrote:Rapid Shrimp, you are missing Brewitt from your list.

Sorted thanks

Roche (1)
Halstead (2)

Sutton (1)
Old (1)
Lavelle (1)
Brownsword (1)
Brewitt (1/2)
Conlan (2)
Cranston (2)

Tutte (1)
Fleming (1/2)
Jagne (1)
Mendes Gomes (1)
Wildig (1)
Kenyon (?)

Oates (1)
Ellison (1)
Howard (1/2)
Hawley (1)
Leitch-Smith (2)
Stockton (1)

I might have my calculations wrong somewhere but surely we released Cambell, Oliver, Sinclair and Hedley. Added to that are Collins, Bennett, Mandeville and Mills. Plus McKay, Dalby and Mingoia went back after their loan spells. I make that 11 less than the rend of last season and only Stockton and Brewitt signed up. Huge gap to fill yet.
black morse

Postby black morse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Just remembered we've loaned Howard as well.
black morse

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:36 pm

black morse wrote:Just remembered we've loaned Howard as well.

I think PNE released him and we have signed him on a permanent contract , 1 year and an option for another year.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Freez » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Officially we have added Brownsword and Hawley to the first team squad and signed Howard, Brewett and Stockton, so while Bennett, Mandy, McKay and Mingoia have gone back they might not necessarily be replaced now, but later on.
So from the eleven, we have returned four loanees, leaving the gap as 7, so with five added and presumably Kenyon, we have potential for possibly one signing more then 4 loans?
Presumably? But who knows, we are all guessing!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Shrimp Girl » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:17 pm

If you go back to the very first post on this thread; at the end of June 2018 we had 18 confirmed squad players and were waiting on a 19th (Thommo). 51 weeks later, we have 20 confirmed squad players and are waiting on a 21st (Kenyon). The squad know each other better and have access to better training facilities, so although there are still gaps to fill we are further along than this time last year.
Shrimp Girl

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Assuming Jim brings in a few more experienced players I can’t see why we are fretting. IMO The players who have signed are really good, most instrumental in keeping us safe last season. Yep it’s disappointing that Collins and Mills wouldn’t join in but Jim isn’t a dope and will find some decent replacements. I’m looking forward to the season, we have loads to be optimistic about, so get behind whoever has the ball at their feet.

It’s all to play for and I am confident that relegation isn’t an option
Caged Lion

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Shrimp Girl wrote:If you go back to the very first post on this thread; at the end of June 2018 we had 18 confirmed squad players and were waiting on a 19th (Thommo). 51 weeks later, we have 20 confirmed squad players and are waiting on a 21st (Kenyon). The squad know each other better and have access to better training facilities, so although there are still gaps to fill we are further along than this time last year.

Caged Lion wrote:Assuming Jim brings in a few more experienced players I can’t see why we are fretting. IMO The players who have signed are really good, most instrumental in keeping us safe last season. Yep it’s disappointing that Collins and Mills wouldn’t join in but Jim isn’t a dope and will find some decent replacements. I’m looking forward to the season, we have loads to be optimistic about, so get behind whoever has the ball at their feet.

Completely agree with both of you, I think we're in a much stronger position than this time last season, both on & off the field. Also, we had probably the worst injury crisis in the mid-season than I can remember, with about ten first team players injured at the same time. With access to better training facilities and simple law of averages, I wouldn't expect that again next season.

Loads of confidence!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 am

In comparison, Bratfud City have just announced their NINTH summer signing....
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:26 am

We've still lost 6 first team players who from January saved our bacon. Prior to a number arriving in January we struggled.

So we are basically now with the same set of players who up until January put us in a relegation threatening position.

However pre season training will no doubt provide us with sightings of new players..... ;)
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Piero Mingoia leaves Stanley by mutual consent: https://accringtonstanley.co.uk/2019/06 ... s-stanley/

I want to get excited but the Mills and Collins situations have made me wary!
Little Shrimp

Postby Bare bum » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Caged Lion said
Assuming Jim brings in a few more experienced players I can’t see why we are fretting. IMO The players who have signed are really good, most instrumental in keeping us safe last season. Yep it’s disappointing that Collins and Mills wouldn’t join in but Jim isn’t a dope and will find some decent replacements. I’m looking forward to the season, we have loads to be optimistic about, so get behind whoever has the ball at their feet.

Blimey CG, have you been to therapy or have you escaped captivity?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion