Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Re: Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Postby Catte » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:22 pm

Yes thought he was going to be half decent after his spell at Fleetwood then he joined the car crash at Salford and seems to have stalled, hope he lifts off at Morecambe looks decent in spells needs to get consistent.
Suspect we will be happy with 2 points as well, DA teams always difficult to play against, I am sure IE will not be, but we tend to stutter through August may be the reason that IE started them back earlier this pre-season.

With Stockton I am sure a number of Championship clubs have at least glanced in his direction, and all in League 1 will have looked, you know what you are getting and the valuation is pretty much known, in these times clubs will be looking if there is more value elsewhere as time wares on these clubs looking for a lead striker may return.
Catte

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:38 pm

Catte wrote:...in these times clubs will be looking if there is more value elsewhere as time wares on these clubs looking for a lead striker may return.

You're probably right. If he carries on last season's form, they may come sniffing in January. I would hope that if an offer comes in too late for us to build the squad from it, that we turn it down. I've said previously, that I'd be happy if Cole left, if the money enabled us to build a stronger squad elsewhere, but if he left on transfer deadline day (for example), that would be potentially disastrous, as by the time we could bring in [say] three players in other positions, it could be too late. That all said, I quite like the look of the squad as it is. I hope that Cooney being transfer listed has given him the kick up the backside that he needed, so that his talent isn't wasted (or 'waisted'?) In that case he (and perhaps others) can work their way back off the transfer list and in to the squad.

Despite your best efforts to demonstrate that there is intelligent life in Horwich, I still struggle to wish your lot well :roll: so I'm hoping you fall just short of the play-offs. But I'd expect you to easily make them. So I hope you personally have a great season... ...the team you support, not so much! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:42 pm

I think we have a good first XI, which would probably be:

Ripley
Love - Rawson - AOC - Gibson/Melbourne
Taylor - Fane - Watts
Gnahoua - Stockton - Hunter

Full-back we're fine, although could do with moving on one of the Ryan's (I like them both but three RBs isn't ideal). Desperately need another CB to compete for a place, can't go into the season with Delaney as our only other option.

Central midfield we need more too. I like McLoughlin and think he should be a useful squad player, but if Taylor or Watts are unavailable we could end up with a bit of a creative void. Also could do with some cover/competition for Fane.

Forward line we're relatively well stocked with Obika as back-up for Stockton and Connolly providing good competition for Gnahoua and Hunter. Another option up top wouldn't go amiss, but there are other priorities that need sorting first.
Little Shrimp

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:25 pm

I would prefer Connolly to Gnaouia any day. If Connolly could provide a final ball he would be a real quality player.
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Bristol Shrimp » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:24 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:I think we have a good first XI, which would probably be:

Ripley
Taylor - Fane - Watts

Full-back we're fine, although could do with moving on one of the Ryan's (I like them both but three RBs isn't ideal). Desperately need another CB to compete for a place, can't go into the season with Delaney as our only other option.

Central midfield we need more too. I like McLoughlin and think he should be a useful squad player, but if Taylor or Watts are unavailable we could end up with a bit of a creative void. Also could do with some cover/competition for Fane.

Forward line we're relatively well stocked with Obika as back-up for Stockton and Connolly providing good competition for Gnahoua and Hunter. Another option up top wouldn't go amiss, but there are other priorities that need sorting first.

I agree with you about other areas needing strengthening as opposed to up front but it does seem like we're trying to get Quigley, that would imply to me one of Obika or Cole will move on, I just don't see there being room for 3 strikers in the squad when DA only plays one? CB definitely needed, Beddau would be perfect and definitely someone as cover for Fane, someone that can maybe fill in further up in the midfield too if needed. Watts looks good but not sure he'll make the whole season injury free for some reason.
Vi er røde, vi er hvide, vi står sammen, side om side!
Bristol Shrimp

Postby Catte » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:54 am

Despite your best efforts to demonstrate that there is intelligent life in Horwich, I still struggle to wish your lot well :roll: so I'm hoping you fall just short of the play-offs. But I'd expect you to easily make them. So I hope you personally have a great season... ...the team you support, not so much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Keith I think..

Well we got a timely smack in the mouth at the weekend, hopefully that has knocked the inflated view on how pre-season has gone and a reminder you have to earn the right to play, on every pitch at every level.

I happily wish you all well for the coming season apart from a couple of dates obviously and perhaps a decent cup run for both teams.
Catte

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:07 am

Little Shrimp wrote:I think we have a good first XI, which would probably be:

Ripley
Taylor - Fane - Watts

Potentially another option?

Ripley
Love - Rawson - AOC - Gibbo/Melbourne
Fané - Taylor
Connolly - Hunter - Gnahoua
Stockton

We’ve now seen Hunter can play in a more central role, and DA used Gnahoua on the left and Connolly on the right at the end of last season. We’ve already seen Watts miss Huddersfield to recover after suffering the injury that ruled him out for the second half of last season so game time for him is likely to be managed early on.
RapidShrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 am

5 friendlies down, 1 win and 2 draws against non-league opposition, and good tests against Huddersfield and Boro. Derek said he has the means to make TWO more signings currently, although if we can let some of the transfer listed players go we would then be able to afford to replace them with hopefully more suited additions/loans.

Priority is a CM and a CB for me. Then perhaps look at a 4th winger (not counting McDonald) if Derek’s satisfied with 5 centre mids for 3 positions.

Squad number / Player name / Main position / Other positions / Age / Height / strong foot / Transfer listed?

12, A. Da Silva Mendes / GK / 19 / 6'1" / right
??, C. Ripley / GK / 29 / 6’3” / right
41, A. Smith / GK / 29 / 6’3” / right

22, L. Gibson / LB / CB / 25 / 6'1" / left
??, M. Melbourne / LB / CB / 23 / 5’11” / left
26, C. Pye / LB / RB / 18 / 5’7” / left / LISTED

4, A. O'Connor / CB / RB,DM / 29 / 6'0" / right / LISTED
15, R. Delaney / CB / LB / 25 / 6’4" / left / LISTED
??, F. Rawson / CB / 25 / 6’4” / right

2, R. McLaughlin / RB / LB / 27 / 5’10” / right / LISTED
21, R. Cooney / RB / LB,RW / 22 / 5'10" / right / LISTED
??, D. Love / RB / LB,DM,RW / 27 / 5’10” / right

19, S. McLoughlin / CM / AM,DM,RM,RB / 25 / 5’8” / right / LISTED
27, O. Fané / DM / CB / 28 / 6’3” / right
??, C. Watts (loan) / CM / AM,RW,LW / 20 / 5’7” / right
??, J. Taylor / CM / AM,DM,LB / 23 / 5’10” / right

7, W. McDonald / LW / RW,AM / 25 / 5'9" / right / LISTED
11, D. Connolly / RW / LW,AM / 27 / 5’8” / right
24, A. Gnahoua / LW / AM,RW,ST / 29 / 5’11” / left
?? A. Hunter / LW / AM,RW,ST / 26 / 5’8” / right

9, C. Stockton / ST / 28 / 6'1" / right
14, J. Obika / LW / 31 / 6’0” / right / LISTED
28, C. Duffus / ST / LW,RW / 26 / 6’2” / right / LISTED (injured for the season)
RapidShrimp

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:23 am

It's odd to have so many players still transfer listed as we start the season. I wonder if some of them will come off the list as time goes on?

Obika appears to have had a decent pre-season. Cooney has apparently returned looking fitter, although still not really featured a great deal. Pye is a strange one for me. He was raved about as an up & coming youngster, gets a first pro-contract then instantly out when Derek arrived. Perhaps he'd have been better being loan listed to see how he got on elsewhere? I can't see his salary being significant enough to be busting the budget? At this stage, we can't be serious in selling all the listed players, as we're running out of time to replace them. For example, we couldn't sell Delaney and O'Connor at this stage in pre-season.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion