Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Re: Current Squad

Postby halfwayprawn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

John L at least he would be fit for training :lol:
halfwayprawn

Postby John L » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 pm

halfwayprawn wrote:John L at least he would be fit for training :lol:

Which season? :shock: :lol:
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby John L » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 pm

NPL Daze wrote:
halfwayprawn wrote:J.L :?:

"John L" ??

Not tall enough to be a Centre Half... ;) :lol:

...and that's just for starters! :lol:
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby RapidShrimp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Loanee Mandeville is added with gaffer Grant McCann viewing Liam as surplus to requirements at Doncaster. Still waiting for this L1 midfielder... :lol: :?: Squad now at 23 players (plus Thommo).
(Edit) I’d say we need another two centre backs and an attacking mid and then our squad is pretty much complete with atleast 2 per postion across the field. We’ve got a lot of forward options now so I hope this doesn’t mean Kev is always pushed out wide or into a deeper role where he doesn’t exactly excel.

Roche (1)
Halstead (1)

Old (2)
Lavelle (2)
Conlan (1)
Cranston (1)
Mills (1)
Brownsword (1)

Sinclair (1)
Tutte (2)
Hedley (1/2)
Kenyon (1)
Wildig (1)
Fleming (1)
Campbell (1)
Jagne (1)
Mendes Gomes (1)

Ellison (1)
Oliver (1)
Oswell (2)
Oates (2)
Hawley (1)
-> (loan) Mandeville (1)

[Thompson]
RapidShrimp

Postby Ntini » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am

Who'd have thought this would be a problem, but I reckon we're getting a little heavy in the CM & CF positions :shock:

For example, we have Kenyon, Tutte, Jagne, Fleming, Wildig, Mendes Gomes and Campbell who can all play in the middle (max 3 of them really in any formation). That means there could be a few people being left out of the matchday squad altogether.

Same goes for attacking options of Oswell, Mandeville, Oates, Ellison, Oliver, Hawley and possibly Thommo.

Will be really interesting to see what Jim does, whether some head out on loan/transfer, and also what formation he plumps for this year.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Shrimpy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:41 am

Ntini wrote:Who'd have thought this would be a problem, but I reckon we're getting a little heavy in the CM & CF positions :shock:

For example, we have Kenyon, Tutte, Jagne, Fleming, Wildig, Mendes Gomes and Campbell who can all play in the middle (max 3 of them really in any formation). That means there could be a few people being left out of the matchday squad altogether.

Same goes for attacking options of Oswell, Mandeville, Oates, Ellison, Oliver, Hawley and possibly Thommo.

Will be really interesting to see what Jim does, whether some head out on loan/transfer, and also what formation he plumps for this year.

In reality none of the kids (Hawley, Jagne, Gomes, Hedley, Brownsword) will get near the first team unless there is an injury crisis.

If we continue with Jim's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation then Tutte, Kenyon, Fleming and possibly Sinclair (although I think he'll primarily battle it out with Mills at right back) will be competing for the two midfield spots.

Wildig, Campbell, Ellison, Oates and Mandeville will probably be utilised in the 3 spots behind the main striker which will be chosen from Oswell or Oliver.
Shrimpy

Postby redrobo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:13 am

Oh how it is to be blessed with so many options, unlike previous seasons when JB's options relied on loan deals. I suspect that a number will go out on either a short term loan or even a full season loan with a call back as required. For me those to go out on loan would be Oliver, Campbell, Hedley, Brownsword and possibly Fleming. Jagne and Gomes to be kept in house and to make appearances on the subs bench because they offer something different and need to be in or around the first team to learn their trade by watching and making the odd appearance. From what I've seen to date of both of them they have a unique talent that with coaching and listening to the elder statesman of the squad will become great assets to our club going forward.
redrobo

Postby Ntini » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Shrimpy wrote:In reality none of the kids (Hawley, Jagne, Gomes, Hedley, Brownsword) will get near the first team unless there is an injury crisis.

I'd be disappointed if neither Jagne nor Mendes Gomes get a chance in the first team.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Freez » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

MMM, Fleming signs and then we loan him out?? Hardly likely, nor should it be IMO.
its almost like the old days with a certain child????
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Shrimpy wrote:
Ntini wrote:Who'd have thought this would be a problem, but I reckon we're getting a little heavy in the CM & CF positions :shock:

In reality none of the kids (Hawley, Jagne, Gomes, Hedley, Brownsword) will get near the first team unless there is an injury crisis.

If we continue with Jim's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation then Tutte, Kenyon, Fleming and possibly Sinclair (although I think he'll primarily battle it out with Mills at right back) will be competing for the two midfield spots.

Wildig, Campbell, Ellison, Oates and Mandeville will probably be utilised in the 3 spots behind the main striker which will be chosen from Oswell or Oliver.

cant argue with this, a lot of these forward players we've been signing may not be proper centeral midfielders, but can probably play in a attacking 3 behind a target man in either Olivier ir Oswell.

certainly got compititon for places with our attack now!
George Dawes

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Jim said at the forum that new EFL rules state that one home grown player has to be in your matchday squad.
BerlinWaller

Postby Bare Grills » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Freez wrote:MMM, Fleming signs and then we loan him out?? Hardly likely, nor should it be IMO.
its almost like the old days with a certain child????

Are you suggesting there's something similar between CC & RR :?: :?:
Bare Grills

Postby MfcChris » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:18 pm

CC why do you constantly post crap about Fleming. Give him a break. Loan him out??? :lol:
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Thommo agrees a 6 month deal focusing on off-the-pitch actions within the club, though we would be fortunate to see him in playing action before this contract is up.
https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2018/july/garry-thompson-deal/

We have also now officialy signed promising 18 year old keeper Dawid Szczepaniak (I bet kitman Les is happy he is only the 3rd choice and hopefully won’t need to spell that out on the back of a shirt this season!) from Airbus UK Broughton FC on a one-year deal, starting off in the youth development squad.
https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2018/july/dawid-szczepaniak-signsnew-page/

As it stands:

Roche (1)
Halstead (1)
Szczepniak (1 - dev. squad)

Old (2)
Lavelle (2)
Conlan (1)
Cranston (1)
Mills (1)
Brownsword (1)

Sinclair (1)
Tutte (2)
Hedley (1/2)
Kenyon (1)
Wildig (1)
Fleming (1)
Campbell (1)
Jagne (1)
Mendes Gomes (1)

Ellison (1)
Oliver (1)
Oswell (2)
Oates (2)
Hawley (1)
-> (loan) Mandeville (1)
Thommo (6m)
RapidShrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Looking good! Could maybe do with another CB as cover but we do know Kenyon and Sinclair can fill in there. I suppose it also depends on how much faith Jim has in Brownsword to step up if required.
Little Shrimp

Postby MRScaleHall » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Are we looking at others coming in or not? Jim said that we need another CB?
MRScaleHall

Postby redrobo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:40 pm

MRScaleHall wrote:Are we looking at others coming in or not? Jim said that we need another CB?

Personally the size of our midfield worries me. We don't have any real height in that area and the aerial midfield battles that we know all about in EFL2 could be of major concern. All too often we lost control of midfield opting for route 1. However I'm sure JB and Co are fully aware of potential areas of concern. Tomorrow's test v Chester should give us the hardest preseason test to date.
redrobo

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:17 am

redrobo wrote:Personally the size of our midfield worries me.

Accrington won the league last season with a midfield pairing who were 5'7" and 6'1".

Luton who finished 2nd used players of the following heights in the centre of their midfield: 5'8", 5'11", 5'11", 5'9", 5'10".

This idea you keep peddling and have done for years that we need tall players in the middle of the park is nonsense.
Shrimpy

Postby redrobo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 am

Shrimpy wrote:
redrobo wrote:Personally the size of our midfield worries me.

Accrington won the league last season with a midfield pairing who were 5'7" and 6'1".

Luton who finished 2nd used players of the following heights in the centre of their midfield: 5'8", 5'11", 5'11", 5'9", 5'10".

This idea you keep peddling and have done for years that we need tall players in the middle of the park is nonsense.

Time will tell if my concern comes to fruition. Last season we lost control of midfield too often due in part to loosing out on the aerial midfield battles. Just my opinion of course but the style of play we've followed over the seasons often sees us have problems in midfield. Hope I'm wrong this coming season and with some excellent signings by JB this could be a season where we don't follow the trend of previous seasons and finish in a comfortable mid table position.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:57 am

Height doesn't always necessarily mean aerial dominance either. Kenyon is very dominant aerially but I believe he is a bit shy of 6 foot. Height is helpful but really the key factors in winning aerial duels are aggression, timing and positioning.

Looking at pre-season, Jim seems pretty set on a 4-2-3-1. We have four centre midfielders (Tutte, Fleming, Kenyon, Jagne) who all seem to bring something a little different, depending on what a game requires. I imagine against more direct teams like Lincoln, who have Matt Rhead and now John Akinde too, Kenyon will get the nod to help out the defence with his aerial ability.
Little Shrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Height doesn't always necessarily mean aerial dominance either.

Further reinforced by Alan Goodall... he seemed to be able to spring up past 6 footers, despite himself being only around 5’9”
RapidShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 pm

It isn't 1975 anymore. Height is not the most important thing for a midfielder. We need a battler, have done for years. Somebody who will chase the ball down and compete. We have been too soft in the middle and were often bullied. We need someone who will scream and bollock everyone around him.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:01 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:It isn't 1975 anymore. Height is not the most important thing for a midfielder. We need a battler, have done for years. Somebody who will chase the ball down and compete. We have been too soft in the middle and were often bullied. We need someone who will scream and bollock everyone around him.

Totally agree 100% for a midfielder who will boss all those around him. But can't see Flemo doing that or Aaron for that matter. Leaves Alex who would do it assuming he plays every game and new signing Tutt who s a box to box type I understand. Was surprised to find that Flemo is just under 6' whilst Tutt, Wildig and Campbell are all around 5'8".
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:18 pm

I know Wildig has legs made out of Weetabix but he has been mis-used by Jim. I reckon with the right balance in the middle, Aaron would contribute 5-10 goals a season with his runs from the middle.

Flemmo is hardworking but has to go around 3 imaginary roundabouts before he thinks of passing the ball. If he was a yard faster in his head he would be a top league 2 midfielder.
BerlinWaller

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:24 pm

redrobo wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:It isn't 1975 anymore. Height is not the most important thing for a midfielder. We need a battler, have done for years. Somebody who will chase the ball down and compete. We have been too soft in the middle and were often bullied. We need someone who will scream and bollock everyone around him.

Totally agree 100% for a midfielder who will boss all those around him. But can't see Flemo doing that or Aaron for that matter. Leaves Alex who would do it assuming he plays every game and new signing Tutt who s a box to box type I understand. Was surprised to find that Flemo is just under 6' whilst Tutt, Wildig and Campbell are all around 5'8".

Kenyon: 5'11"
Fleming: 5'10"
Tutte: 5'9"
Wildig: 5'9"
Campbell: 5'6"

All according to Soccerbase.
Shrimpy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion