Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Re: Current Squad

Postby jon MFC fan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Out of Contract
Goalkeepers

Kyle Letheren
Mark Halstead

Defenders

Nat Knight-Percival
Harry Davis
Stephen Hendrie
Liam Gibson
Kelvin Mellor

Midfielders

Toumani Diagouraga
Yann Songo'o
Alex Kenyon
Aarron Wildig
Ben Pringle
Freddie Price

Attackers

John O'Sullivan
AJ Leitch-Smith
Jordan Slew
Cole Stockton
Liam McAlinden

In Contract

Sam Lavelle
Andre Flipe Da Silva Mendes (Young GK)

Option To Extend Contracts Done (According to Co-Chairs)

Carlos Mendes Gomes

Players Returning to Parent Clubs

Ryan Cooney
Brad Lyons

Who'll be retained and who'll be released
better redthan dead
jon MFC fan

Postby Moldshrimp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:23 am

Brad Lyons has been released by Blackburn

Ryan Cooney has been offered a new contract by Burnley
Moldshrimp

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am

Moldshrimp wrote:Ryan Cooney has been offered a new contract by Burnley

Could do with a season at League One to continue his development!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Born again Bill » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Bradford rag says Adams is eyeing up Songo’o , Stockton AND Sam Lavelle :evil: , trying to recreate this seasons team and hope for the same result at the end of the season :roll:
Born again Bill

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:10 pm

Born again Bill wrote:Bradford rag says Adams is eyeing up Songo’o , Stockton AND Sam Lavelle :evil: , trying to recreate this seasons team and hope for the same result at the end of the season :roll:

I've seen stuff about Songo'o and Stockton, struggling to find anything on Lavelle though?

I'd be very surprised if Lavelle goes there. Bradford already have a pretty good centre back pairing to build from in O'Connor and Canavan. It's not like there's a big gap there like in defensive midfield and centre forward, which is why the Songo'o/Stockton rumours probably have a bit to them. They're also two players who particularly suit the way DA likes to play.

Lavelle is young and still under contract. I struggle to imagine him being happy to drop back down to League Two for the sake of a few extra quid a top L1 club might be happy to offer him. If he goes, it will be for a fee and most likely to a club up the ladder.
Little Shrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:13 pm

Born again Bill wrote:Bradford rag says Adams is eyeing up Songo’o , Stockton AND Sam Lavelle :evil: , trying to recreate this seasons team and hope for the same result at the end of the season :roll:

Luckily they’d have to buy Sam, and considering he’s probably the most likely player in our side to be able to seamlessly transition into L1, we’d surely command a high fee for him, and why would he want to drop down a division? He has made it clear in the past that his dream is to captain Blackpool, and a move down the coast this summer isn’t entirely out of the question, despite their promotion to the Championship!

On Stockton, he suited Derek’s style very well (or maybe Derek adapted his style to suit Cole!), but it remains to be seen whether he can repeat his great form in a higher division - we have to remember that he struggled to compete at Tranmere, Hearts and Carlisle so he might not be a huge loss, especially under the stewardship of SR. (I’m trying to play Devil’s advocate here, I’d like him to stay)

Yann and Toums are two I could definitely see leaving. Especially Toums, with him living in Yorkshire and also entering what you’d expect to be his final couple of seasons in professional football. I think Yann has a bit more time in his career to take a chance, but whether that’s dropping down a league to Bradford, or chancing it with us in L1 I don’t know! Worth noting that 5 out of Yann’s 8 seasons in the UK came under DA as manager, and he was very unsuccessful in his other seasons, so losing him to Derek again seems almost nailed on.

Just seen your post LS, I have found an article here https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/19353958.new-boss-adams-target-former-players-bradford-city/?ref=twtrec that says these three players “COULD” join Derek at Bradford, so that’s by no means a proper link so I think there’s been some confusion in assuming that Lavelle is actually being linked with Bradford!
RapidShrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:25 pm

Cheers RS!

Toums is an interesting one. A lot makes sense for a move to Bradford with his Yorkshire base and possible winding down of his career. At the same time, Bradford already have some very talented ball playing midfielders, so may be less of a priority for DA.

Songo'o also is interesting in that he's always gone with DA and been brilliant, but generally there hasn't been much demand for him elsewhere. Was on loan at Ross County, Blackburn released him before his move to Plymouth, and he was a free agent before coming to us. I think Scunthorpe fans did rate him, but he was hampered by injury and them releasing basically everyone out of contract.

If SR fancies keeping him, then this will probably be the first time there'll have been really hot competition for DA to sign Songo'o. Could also be some competition from other clubs given his performances this season just gone, especially in the playoffs.
Little Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 pm

On Stockton, he suited Derek’s style very well (or maybe Derek adapted his style to suit Cole!), but it remains to be seen whether he can repeat his great form in a higher division - we have to remember that he struggled to compete at Tranmere, Hearts and Carlisle so he might not be a huge loss, especially under the stewardship of SR. (I’m trying to play Devil’s advocate here, I’d like him to stay)

I agree and it took him until the second half the season for him to really find his goal scoring boots.If SR wants to play a different way then I don't think it's the end of the world if Stockton goes.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:34 pm

Would love us to keep Yann, he is pure class. If we lose Cole it will be a sad day but I still think we could mount a decent effort at mid table.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:48 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Would love us to keep Yann, he is pure class. If we lose Cole it will be a sad day but I still think we could mount a decent effort at mid table.

Have to agree with you about both Cole and Yann.

Yann in particular would be difficult to replace but the fact he's been with DA for a number of years says a lot BUT Yann didn't sign for us until the season had started despite being released by his previous club. Wonder why?

Think it better we wait and see who SR can bring in and who of the current squad is prepared to accept the offer of a new contract. I'd like to think we could be in for a more than welcome surprise about those who are prepared to sign. Maybe the prospect of playing in EFL1 could be a deal clincher.
Last edited by redrobo on Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Postby RapidShrimp » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 pm

Was interesting to hear that SR was “surprised” (in a good way!) by the budget we were offering him! RR is quite right - the pull of the club could bring us some superb additions to our squad! And we can’t forget we’re only 2 divisions away from the huge pool of young talent that reside in the EPL’s academies so we can expect to be able to loan some exciting youngsters if need be!
RapidShrimp

Postby ianmcm » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:46 am

What do people think about Letheren? He became the clear number one goalkeeper by Easter (or thereabouts) and made some great saves in the play-offs, for example. Having someone with his experience would seem to be highly desirable for a team about to start in a higher division. Also I would hope they would keep NKP who had a great run-in.
ianmcm

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 am

Would like us to keep Letheren but I suspect he will be one of the group of four or five that Adams will take to Bradford!
fulwoodshrimp

Postby black morse » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:53 am

Just as a matter of interest.....I wonder who decided that the vast majority of our players would be out of contract at the end of this season and who decided not to try to extend/renew some of those contracts earlier? We've always had some players out of contract before but surely not to this extent. I assume it is the manager who decides (or at least recommends to the board/owners) this sort of thing.
black morse

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:11 am

ianmcm wrote:What do people think about Letheren? He became the clear number one goalkeeper by Easter (or thereabouts) and made some great saves in the play-offs, for example. Having someone with his experience would seem to be highly desirable for a team about to start in a higher division. Also I would hope they would keep NKP who had a great run-in.

Like many I wasn’t convinced by Letheren at first but towards the end of the season I was more than happy with him and he made several superb saves in the play offs.

NKP was solid for us and when interviewed came across as a really decent guy who’d be good to have around the squad. On top of that Bradford fans really slated him from his previous stint there and still do.

Hope both are wanted and remain with us.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Shrimp Girl » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 am

black morse wrote:Just as a matter of interest.....I wonder who decided that the vast majority of our players would be out of contract at the end of this season and who decided not to try to extend/renew some of those contracts earlier? We've always had some players out of contract before but surely not to this extent. I assume it is the manager who decides (or at least recommends to the board/owners) this sort of thing.

Would have thought it was sort-of covid related. With uncertainty over budgets, income, fans in the ground etc it must have been impossible to commit to more than one year contracts for players this past year. Expect to see more initiatives to get money in pre-season soon, like the email sent out asking for interest in hospitality, early bird season tickets, advance shirt sales etc. It all helps
Shrimp Girl

Postby chipbuns » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:09 am

Toums and Yann are essential in my eyes, a solid base to build a team around. We should be busting a gut to keep them here, as these and Stockton will be Derek's first targets no doubt. Toums and Yann's living locations will be a huge advantage for Bradford though.

Derek will have given his word to Bradford early doors I bet, no chance he would renew contracts if so, he can then cherry pick from us. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already started trying to be honest.
chipbuns

Postby Born again Bill » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:31 am

Bradford have submitted a contract offer to Songo according to an article on facecloth
Born again Bill

Postby black morse » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 am

chipbuns wrote:Toums and Yann are essential in my eyes, a solid base to build a team around. We should be busting a gut to keep them here, as these and Stockton will be Derek's first targets no doubt. Toums and Yann's living locations will be a huge advantage for Bradford though.

Derek will have given his word to Bradford early doors I bet, no chance he would renew contracts if so, he can then cherry pick from us. I'd be surprised if he hasn't already started trying to be honest.

If you are correct, whilst I'm sure this sort of thing goes on all the time, I find the thought of a deliberate plan to get our players for nothing whilst still working for the club difficult to stomach from a chap with such high principals.
black morse

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am

I'm guessing it was partly COVID influenced, and partly to get a grip on the squad.

JB had tied a few people down on two year contracts which DA may have felt he was somewhat saddled with. I don't think he was a fan of either of our left backs in Conlan and Cranston, but was able to get them off the books. Also had an injury stricken AJ taking up a wage, a good player but one who ultimately also didn't fit into DA's style of play either.

One year contracts meant that he had flexibility to keep shaping the squad how he wanted. For example, Ben Pringle looked quite an exciting signing at the time but hasn't really panned out. It would be frustrating for DA if he wasn't able to get rid of him after tying him down on a two year contract.

Graham Howse alluded to a few contracts having extensions that the club could trigger. We know one is CMG, so it's likely that DA or the board got these extensions on contracts of players who were pretty important to DA's plans at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Wildig and Stockton have these extensions.
Little Shrimp

Postby black morse » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:30 am

Little Shrimp wrote:I'm guessing it was partly COVID influenced, and partly to get a grip on the squad.

JB had tied a few people down on two year contracts which DA may have felt he was somewhat saddled with. I don't think he was a fan of either of our left backs in Conlan and Cranston, but was able to get them off the books. Also had an injury stricken AJ taking up a wage, a good player but one who ultimately also didn't fit into DA's style of play either.

One year contracts meant that he had flexibility to keep shaping the squad how he wanted. For example, Ben Pringle looked quite an exciting signing at the time but hasn't really panned out. It would be frustrating for DA if he wasn't able to get rid of him after tying him down on a two year contract.

Graham Howse alluded to a few contracts having extensions that the club could trigger. We know one is CMG, so it's likely that DA or the board got these extensions on contracts of players who were pretty important to DA's plans at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Wildig and Stockton have these extensions.

Hope you're right LS.
black morse

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:27 pm

black morse wrote:
chipbuns wrote:Toums and Yann are essential in my eyes, a solid base to build a team around. We should be busting a gut to keep them here, as these and Stockton will be Derek's first targets no doubt. Toums and Yann's living locations will be a huge advantage for Bradford though.

If you are correct, whilst I'm sure this sort of thing goes on all the time, I find the thought of a deliberate plan to get our players for nothing whilst still working for the club difficult to stomach from a chap with such high principals.

Hmmmm. There’s a bit of a stink wafting in :?
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Postby Screenster » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:53 pm

redrobo wrote:Yann in particular would be difficult to replace but the fact he's been with DA for a number of years says a lot BUT Yann didn't sign for us until the season had started despite being released by his previous club. Wonder why?

Songo'o was on trial at Hearts before we snapped him up.
Screenster

Postby RapidShrimp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:58 pm

4 players leaving so far:

Songo’o (announced it himself, probably to Bradford)
NKP (Tranmere announced him)
Hendrie & Kenyon (both announced on their own social media)
RapidShrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm

So... the retained list has been announced. This is how our squad looks currently:

GK: Letheren, Da Silva Mendes

RB: Mellor

LB: Gibson

CB: Lavelle

CM/DM: Diagouraga, Wildig

AM/W: Mendes Gomes, O'Sullivan, Price

CF/ST: Stockton

(italics indicate player has been offered a new contract)

Players departing:
Halstead
Davis
NKP
Hendrie
Cooney (end of loan)
Kenyon
Songo’o
Denny (end of loan)
Lyons (end of loan)
Pringle
Slew
McAlinden
Leitch-Smith
Last edited by RapidShrimp on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RapidShrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion