Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Re: Current Squad

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:45 am

Great post Little Shrimp.

Football has moved on from your number 9 scoring all the goals. Goals are shared out amongst the team nowadays. People hammer Cole for not scoring enough but he plays a role which allows other players to get chances and hopefully score more.

From his signings, DA looks to be building a solid base to build from. Look at the season where we had Barky, Devitt and Miller but still finished in the bottom half because we were awful at the back.
BerlinWaller

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:51 am

BerlinWaller wrote:Great post Little Shrimp.

Football has moved on from your number 9 scoring all the goals. Goals are shared out amongst the team nowadays.

Just look at the signing of Kelvin Mellor yesterday when DA said:

“He was with me at Plymouth a number of seasons ago, can play at right-back or right centre half, he's a very good football player and can get forward, create chances and score goals.”

With Blackpool in 2017/18, in all comps he got 7 goals and 1 assist from 30 games, and that’s obviously not including his key passes or dribbles that lead to goals. We’ve said a lot in the past about how especially our midfielders weren’t contributing enough goals to the team so the forwards were the only ones really scoring which meant we barely scored any.

Phillips got 4 goals from 11, Toums got on the scoresheet as well - if only Flemo didn’t get injured because he was starting to get into goal-scoring form!
Last edited by RapidShrimp on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RapidShrimp

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:54 am

RapidShrimp wrote:

Football has moved on from your number 9 scoring all the goals. Goals are shared out amongst the team nowadays.

“He was with me at Plymouth a number of seasons ago, can play at right-back or right centre half, he's a very good football player and can get forward, create chances and score goals.”

All well and good but if you look at the Bradford forum many of them were scathing about him and chuffed to bits he'd gone.Hopefully DA can get the best out of him. Time will tell.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 am

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:
RapidShrimp wrote:

All well and good but if you look at the Bradford forum many of them were scathing about him and chuffed to bits he'd gone.Hopefully DA can get the best out of him. Time will tell.

I know what you mean and I’ve seen the response from the Bradford faithful but after almost every signing we get comments from their previous club saying “Haha unlucky” etc. And we’ve had a lot of success stories from players who’ve had a tough spell at their last club.

(I know he’s a lot younger but) Just look at Phillips who went on loan to Cambridge and Hamilton and got just 4 league appearances across both spells. Then we take a punt on him after good U23s performances and it’s worked out for us and him so far.

I agree it’s worrying when other fans slate the players we’re signing but only time will tell whether they perform for us or not.
RapidShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:28 am

Phoenix Shrimp 2017 wrote:
RapidShrimp wrote:

I think you give their fan base too much credit! How many on there are going to say he was a great player for them and that they are gutted he has signed for the Mighty Shrimps?
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:11 am

I still feel that there is one more player that is seen in the training photos to be identified. He is wearing a rather distinctive pair of black and white boots. If true then hopefully he is a striker..... ;)

Time will tell and could of course be on trial..... :
redrobo

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:24 am

A lot of our new signings are only on a one year contract, does this mean that there will be a lot of renegotiating when we reach League 1?? ;)
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:25 pm

redrobo wrote:I still feel that there is one more player that is seen in the training photos to be identified. He is wearing a rather distinctive pair of black and white boots. If true then hopefully he is a striker..... ;)

Im more than happy with the refcruits Dekka has snared. Another out and out striker may be useful but let’s not diminish the scoring potential of those already signed. A fit Leitch-Smith has loads of goals in his boots, and many others often chip in. In the past few seasons we haven’t enjoyed the bonus of more mighty defenders scoring from set pieces. Perhaps these new defenders can be the extras that make a difference come the end of the season

I am far more optimistic than in previous years
Caged Lion

Postby JTW » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:06 pm

There’s genuine reason for optimism. Getting such a fresh squad to gel in limited time (with COVID training restrictions to contend with) is no easy task for Derek and his team, but the quality is there in every area of the pitch. I’ve not been this excited about our potential as a new season approaches for years. Less than a month to go, bring it on.
JTW

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Caged Lion wrote:
redrobo wrote:I still feel that there is one more player that is seen in the training photos to be identified. He is wearing a rather distinctive pair of black and white boots. If true then hopefully he is a striker..... ;)

Im more than happy with the refcruits Dekka has snared. Another out and out striker may be useful but let’s not diminish the scoring potential of those already signed. A fit Leitch-Smith has loads of goals in his boots, and many others often chip in. In the past few seasons we haven’t enjoyed the bonus of more mighty defenders scoring from set pieces. Perhaps these new defenders can be the extras that make a difference come the end of the season

I am far more optimistic than in previous years

I'm sure they'll be far more season ticket sales and it's easy to see why.
HALMA 1983

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:01 pm

And then there were 22! Conlan departed a few days ago so we’ve got his shoes to fill, and I’d like to see another forward come in if that’s a possibility.

GK: Turner (1), Halstead (12), Da Silva Mendes (13)

RB: Mellor (2), Cooney (21)

LB: Hendrie (3)

CB: Davis (6), Lavelle (5), Knight-Percival (4), Bakare (22)

DM: Diagouraga (8), Kenyon (14)

CM: Phillips (20), Wildig (10)

AM/W: Pringle (18), Mendes-Gomes (11), O'Sullivan (16), Slew (7), Price (23)

CF: McAlinden (19), Stockton (9), Leitch-Smith (17)
RapidShrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:50 pm

It’s that time of the year again when I bring back this thread. Obviously it’s on a bit of a sour note with Phillips departing (and us not having time to properly replace him! Unless Lyons is the ready-made replacement of course) and the on-going Songo’o-gate.

GK: Letheren (1), Halstead (12), Da Silva Mendes (13)

RB: Mellor (2), Cooney (21)

LB: Hendrie (3), Gibson (22)

CB: Davis (6), Lavelle (5), Knight-Percival (4)

CM/DM: Diagouraga (8), Kenyon (14), Songo’o (24), Wildig (10), Denny (?)

AM/W: Pringle (18), Mendes Gomes (11), O'Sullivan (16), Lyons (15), Slew (7), Price (23)

CF/ST: McAlinden (19), Stockton (9), Leitch-Smith (17)

There’s no hint of a new signing anywhere with essentially just minutes until the window shuts, however we have seen some very late moves in the past, sometimes even announced after the end of the window so never say never eh?

Anyway, assuming that’s our business done, what do you think of the window? Phillips and Turner out, with Letheren and Lyons in, plus a short-term deal for Jökull. Personally think we could’ve done with another option up front considering A-Jay’s inability to keep fit, and McAlinden’s very sporadic appearances. Also, in midfield we look a bit light - even if Lyons can fill in for Phillips, there’s still the possibility that Songo’o may never play for us again, after having a very impressive first half of the season.

Maybe this will mean AK is back in the fold? Maybe Carlos might start playing further forward?

Edit: I made this post a bit too soon, Alex Denny signs, defensive midfielder.
Last edited by RapidShrimp on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RapidShrimp

Postby PrestonShrimp » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 pm

Do we know when the players unavailable for “confidential reasons” will be available again?
PrestonShrimp

Postby black morse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 am

I feel that the squad is a little weaker with Adam's departure. Whether any of the existing squad will be able fill his boots remains to be seen. As we know when we take players on loan they will leave us at some time if they are quality.
black morse

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:33 am

There has been a black cloud over the ground for the last couple of days but there are some positives. We have kept hold of Carlos, Aaron Wildig and Sam. Derek is still our manager despite interest and we are flying high in the table.

Yes losing Adam is a blow but it is still a very decent squad and it could have been a lot worse.
Last edited by BerlinWaller on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BerlinWaller

Postby black morse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:09 am

BerlinWaller wrote:There has been a black cloud over the ground for the last couple of days but there are some positives. We have kept hold of Carlos, Aaron Wildig and Sam. Derek is still our manager despite interest and we see flying high in the table.

Yes losing Aaron is a blow but it is still a very decent squad and it could have been a lot worse.

Agreed.
black morse

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:01 am

BerlinWaller wrote:There has been a black cloud over the ground .

You could get a 12 match ban for saying that
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby black morse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:34 am

marky No.1 wrote:

:lol:
black morse

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm

marky No.1 wrote:

Bloody hell, Keith has been after a reason to ban me for ages as well.
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:39 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:There has been a black cloud over the ground for the last couple of days but there are some positives. We have kept hold of Carlos, Aaron Wildig and Sam. Derek is still our manager despite interest and we are flying high in the table.

Yes losing Aaron is a blow but it is still a very decent squad and it could have been a lot worse.

Agreed. Keeping hold of Derek as our manager is key to our future.

I have full confidence in his management and his recruitment of players.

I would like to see the club offer him an extended contract as soon as possible.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:05 am

Released and retained list could be out today or tomorrow along with the manager announcement!

Currently we have:

CB: Sam Lavelle

AM/W: CMG (taken up extension option)

Big few days ahead :!:
RapidShrimp

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:03 am

Da Silva Mendes as well at GK
tim-sanchez

Postby RapidShrimp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:19 am

tim-sanchez wrote:Da Silva Mendes as well at GK

You’d assume him and Price have had extensions triggered however there’s no official word on it, despite Mendes signing a pro deal just a few weeks ago.

Wonder if we have any options to extend senior players contracts? Seems to be more for the younger ones
RapidShrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Let's just hope Mr Robinson can persuade at least a few of our current squad to remain with us and not jump ship and follow D.A. to Bradford.
jbc.shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:49 pm

Although i am keen to see most of last seasons squad signed on new deals, i am as keen to see who SR could bring in.
BerlinWaller

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion