Jim Bentley Out

Re: Jim Bentley Out

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Dirk wrote:Is it feasible for a full-time Football League manager to be effective and live a 140 mile round trip from their club's training ground? Jose mourinho got stick for not being committed because he chose to live in a city centre hotel for 2 years. Just imagine the abuse he would have got if he was still living 70 miles away from Old Trafford, 8 years after getting the job

I think the club insisted that Jim Harvey moved to the area around a year or so before he left the club. He bought a house in Bolton-le-Sands.

Doesn't Jim own a house on Croft Street? Out of interest, how many players live in the area?
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:27 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:
Dirk wrote:Is it feasible for a full-time Football League manager to be effective and live a 140 mile round trip from their club's training ground? Jose mourinho got stick for not being committed because he chose to live in a city centre hotel for 2 years. Just imagine the abuse he would have got if he was still living 70 miles away from Old Trafford, 8 years after getting the job

I think the club insisted that Jim Harvey moved to the area around a year or so before he left the club. He bought a house in Bolton-le-Sands.

Doesn't Jim own a house on Croft Street? Out of interest, how many players live in the area?
q

I spoke to Jim about the travelling issue and he and Ken share the driving. Ken drives here and Jim drives back. Takes them approx 90 minutes going home via the Mersey Tunnel. They found that going down the M6;and over tithe bridge took them a lot longer.

As for living in thee area. For me if they are happy doing that then that is fine. I know that they sometimes don't leave for home till well into the early evening and are always first in a morning. So if they can live with it, may I suggest so can we.

No way near as bad as some Carlisle players living in Manchester and travelling to training or match days in all weather.
redrobo

Postby al1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Kiddermister are looking for a new manager,just saying
al1

Postby sandgrown » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Dirk wrote:Most of the time, people behave rationally. If you watch what people say and do, you'll understand their objectives:

1. Owners: Why buy a loss-making football club that you have no historical connection too? Why would they keep a manager who plays dull football and who loses? It doesn't look like the owners are in it as fans. Property 'development' was, and to a lesser extent, still is fashionable way of making money quickly with minimal effort. There are ways around covenants.

2. Players: have a strong incentive to win games of football; they want new contracts. However, as Manchester United shows, players can under-perform if they're asked to play negative tactics or are undermined by poor, demotivating managers.

3. Management: they're also judged by their results (normally). Some managers are more motivated than others though. Living over an hour's drive away from the training ground will almost certainly affect the frequency and duration of training sessions. Players get upset when training isn't up to scratch because the management team are not as committted as they are. This naturally affects team morale and fitness levels. Some managers genuinely love their clubs. They will walk for the good of 'their' club; it helps if you've got a good career record as a manager, you'll get work again. On the other hand, if your record has been consistently poor, you'll probably put your bank balance before the club, and cling-on for your benefit alone - it's just a job! And, nobody else will be hiring you after you get fired fro your current role because your record is terrible!

4. Luvvies: will support (3) because they don't pay to get in. Some get 'expenses', and others are even fortunate enough to be paid a wage for their 'work'. Luvvies will pursue their self-interest by supporting the current management team. They also get a kick out of being on the inside - social one upmanship games with paying fans

Excellent post, to near the truth for a lot of people on here
sandgrown

Postby paschahound » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:31 am

re point 3. As someone who spends 1'20'' going to work and between 1'20'' to 2 hours getting home, 5 days a week, I don't see this issue as a problem at all. Many people manage a long commute fine without a reduction in output.
Budget constraints, player limitations, training and playing facilities, and being comfortable in the knowledge that a paycheck will actually go through at the end of a month are much more relevant issues.
paschahound

Postby Slanester » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 am

sandgrown wrote:
Dirk wrote:Most of the time, people behave rationally. If you watch what people say and do, you'll understand their objectives:

1. Owners: Why buy a loss-making football club that you have no historical connection too? Why would they keep a manager who plays dull football and who loses? It doesn't look like the owners are in it as fans. Property 'development' was, and to a lesser extent, still is fashionable way of making money quickly with minimal effort. There are ways around covenants.

2. Players: have a strong incentive to win games of football; they want new contracts. However, as Manchester United shows, players can under-perform if they're asked to play negative tactics or are undermined by poor, demotivating managers.

3. Management: they're also judged by their results (normally). Some managers are more motivated than others though. Living over an hour's drive away from the training ground will almost certainly affect the frequency and duration of training sessions. Players get upset when training isn't up to scratch because the management team are not as committted as they are. This naturally affects team morale and fitness levels. Some managers genuinely love their clubs. They will walk for the good of 'their' club; it helps if you've got a good career record as a manager, you'll get work again. On the other hand, if your record has been consistently poor, you'll probably put your bank balance before the club, and cling-on for your benefit alone - it's just a job! And, nobody else will be hiring you after you get fired fro your current role because your record is terrible!

4. Luvvies: will support (3) because they don't pay to get in. Some get 'expenses', and others are even fortunate enough to be paid a wage for their 'work'. Luvvies will pursue their self-interest by supporting the current management team. They also get a kick out of being on the inside - social one upmanship games with paying fans

Excellent post, to near the truth for a lot of people on here

And on the flip side. Just happens to fit the opinions of a few on here, hence a few complimentary comments. Each to their own, as it always was, and will always be.
Slanester

Postby fleetstreetfox » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Needed Win. Still JB OUT.
fleetstreetfox

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:56 pm

fleetstreetfox wrote:Needed Win. Still JB OUT.

Thanks for the input.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby fleetstreetfox » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 pm

JIM OUT
fleetstreetfox

Postby Phil Anderer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:44 pm

fleetstreetfox wrote:JIM OUT

I think we get it, now can we move on, since it doesn't appear likely to happen any time soon? BTW, I'm not Admin, moderator, and also not one of Jim's ardent fans, as detailed in other posts, it's just this is getting rather tediously boring now. If you're going to post, how about something more than simple repetition of a point that numerous people actually agree with you on. Why not, as some do, articulate what you think Jim's doing wrong - be constructive rather than simply destructive.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 pm

JIM IN!!!!!
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Oldham 1 Morecambe 2

fleetstreetfox wrote:JIM OUT

Thought I'd save you the trouble! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:55 pm

2 Great away Victorys, but we've still poor Home Form(since 2010) and still losing revenue!!!
Andy D

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 pm

BOO HOO!! :D
mrpotatohead

Postby Shrimpman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Still out, always out
Shrimpman

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:50 am

The fans away at Oldham, almost to a man, and there were over 300, were singing Jim's name and it was raising the roof, I think most anti Jim fans are blinkered regarding his working conditions and like it when the club lose.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:16 am

mrpotatohead wrote:
I think most anti Jim fans... ...like it when the club lose.

I do think there are some (not all) who fall in to this category. They'd rather we lose and they are 'proved right', than win and they can't then say anything for another week. :cry: :evil: :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:45 am

I said most , Keith :lol:
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpandseek2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 am

Shocking yesterday.
shrimpandseek2

Postby Voiceoftheshrimps » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 pm

shrimpandseek2 wrote:Shocking yesterday.

till want jim out
Voiceoftheshrimps

Postby redrobo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:43 pm

The most pointless of threads as nothing will happen until the end of the season and only then if we get relegated will the Board decide on what course of action would be justified by the very first relegation in our club's history.

Relegation could have serious implications for the future of our club, never mind that of the management team, according to some long standing supporters.
redrobo

Postby black morse » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Relegation is not going to happen to us......this year.
black morse

Postby Slanester » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:06 pm

black morse wrote:Relegation is not going to happen to us......this year.

Absolutely right. If there is a change of manager next year, which I hope there isn’t. It will not be due to us being relegated.
Slanester

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:I said most , Keith :lol:

I was simply expanding upon your succinct point! 8-) And I reinforced the 'not all' in order to stop anyone jumping in to suggest the opposite!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:09 pm

black morse wrote:Relegation is not going to happen to us......this year.

Very sad to say but I bet that comes as a massive disappointment for some :roll:
Looks like Jim is going to make the cut yet again and there's no disgrace in losing to the best side in the league yesterday, regardless of previous results.
HALMA 1983

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion