Visitor video and Glen's comments

Visitor video and Glen's comments

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Really excellent the weekly videos put out by Glen and his Visitor colleagues.

One interesting point of discussion concerned the monies available for increased expenditure on players next season.

I was under the impression that the salary cap that we have to abide by, is governed by the previous seasons income generated from gates and the like.

If and when we are in a position to increase player expenditure, surley this will depend on increases in income generated from the new development and will take at least the completion of season 2010 / 2011 before an assessment can be made. That will mean that additional monies generated will come into play for season 2011 /2012. If this is the case, then the next seasons will be similar to this or have I got it wrong.....again!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Visitor video and Glen's comments

Postby shrimper » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:02 pm

I've contacted the Football League recently to get the full facts on this but I understand the club has to project an income for the coming season and spend accordingly (with a percentage of that income going out on players, youth development etc).

That projection has to be soundly based but does include gates from the latest season as a guide, I think.

It may be that an income from pre-agreed contracts for lease of retail space at a new stadium can be included. But, as I say, I'll let people know when I have the full facts.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:01 pm

I think a salary cap is a good idea, just look how much the standard of Rugby League has improved (forget about the World Cup) since the RFL brought it into the game along with fines and deductions for sides that break the cap. You need an organisation strong enough to follow it though. My suspicion is that this salary cap thing is another PR stunt by the FL.

If clubs are capped at how much they can spend (based on income) how come many clubs still lose money? How does Accrington compete? How come their have no deductions? Why does nobody know what items are allowable to be classed as income? Why are there so many questions? IMO the cap was rolled out when clubs were hitting the wall to alleviate fears that the FL was losing control.
RedRedWine1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Cheers for the reply Glen. Much appreciated.

Have a Good New Year everybody!

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion