Kevin Ellison in or out ?

Kevin Ellison in or out ?

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:17 pm

As the home games go on, It seems more an more fans are becoming frustrated with the fact Kev is starting games and even more getting 90 minutes. The records show we do a lot better when he doesn't start for us yet if he's fit an available Jim seems to go with him from the off rather than give him the reduced role he should have at his age. He's never a lone a striker or a winger these days and gets caught offside more than ever. He's been a great servant but if we want to be at the top end of the table this year then I just can't see him being the man to lead our line before mullin an Miller. Can't even say we use him as a target man anymore as he's winning less and less headers every time we play it long !
Kendalshrimp

Re: Kevin Ellison in or out ?

Postby Jettyson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:20 am

Out for me.
Is it coincidence that we played better both pre season and since when he didn't start.
Jettyson

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:32 am

In,(not on his own, needs a strike partner)

still a good finisher, nearly scored in the first 10mins or so, and forced some good saves from there keeper, whom probably impressed the Birmingham scout.
George Dawes

Postby Teams like Morecambe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:48 am

Out. But we don't have many options. I haven't seen anything from Ryan or Miller to suggest they are worthwhile signings. Although I do rate Mullin and his movement suits our system.

I do think the criticism of Kev has gone too far. Some of the abuse that was directed at him yesterday can't be repeated on here. He may not be worthy of a start but he still has a big role to play as an impact sub. Let's not forget he won the penalty at Newport which won us the game and he scored at Yeovil.
Teams like Morecambe

Postby KenH » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:06 am

Sorry, but out of the starting 11 for me too! We've had a cracking run without him and it's given Mullin and Miller a chance who've proved themselves to be worthy of a regular starting place and Ryan hasn't even been given much of a chance but looked good the few times he's played.

Kev, for me, just doesn't fit in with our current team - he's not a good team player, selfish on the ball and takes it himself even when there are better options if he'd look around and pass to others.

Mullin gets better every game and is really developing with playing minutes behind him. Miller and Ryan may not have scored yet but are very lively, hold the ball well and are happy to pass for better options. We've had a good run due to lots of ground passes, forward thinking, etc., and they're things that Kev just doesn't do.

Jim keeps going on about how Kev is the fittest player, so that's the justification, but it doesn't reflect that Kev is just not as good tactically as the alternatives. No one can deny that he can make things happen, but as yesterday showed, he inhibits the fluency and cohesion of those around him, and yes, very embarrassing how many times he was off side - if he'd been more aware of his surroundings, and stayed on-side, a goal or two was possible from good passes to him!

He's been a great servant for the club, and yes, still has lots of goals left in him, but if we're not careful, we'll have another Drummy situation where he goes on too long, way passed his best, out of sentiment rather than ability.

Jim needs to change his role to one of an impact sub, bring him on for the last 20 minutes or so to occupy the defenders and maybe poach a goal (or two). Or save him for the starting 11 when the others are injured or suspended. We have better options for the starting 11 and it is a great dis-service to the youngsters to deny them the opportunity of playing time. Jack Ryan must really be wondering why he's here!

Yes, Kev may well get 10 goals this season, but what if he's denying a place to Miller or Ryan who may be capable of 15? What if his style of play and lack of passing/foresight is denying the midfielders a goal or two each?
KenH

Postby Kieran » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:12 am

Out for me also.

Would be using him as an impact sub coming off the bench for the last 20-25 minutes. Getting caught offside far too much and I believe we have better options sat on the bench with Miller and Mullin.
Kieran

Postby parceldave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:38 am

KenH wrote:Sorry, but out of the starting 11 for me too! We've had a cracking run without him and it's given Mullin and Miller a chance who've proved themselves to be worthy of a regular starting place and Ryan hasn't even been given much of a chance but looked good the few times he's played.

Kev, for me, just doesn't fit in with our current team - he's not a good team player, selfish on the ball and takes it himself even when there are better options if he'd look around and pass to others.

Mullin gets better every game and is really developing with playing minutes behind him. Miller and Ryan may not have scored yet but are very lively, hold the ball well and are happy to pass for better options. We've had a good run due to lots of ground passes, forward thinking, etc., and they're things that Kev just doesn't do.

Jim keeps going on about how Kev is the fittest player, so that's the justification, but it doesn't reflect that Kev is just not as good tactically as the alternatives. No one can deny that he can make things happen, but as yesterday showed, he inhibits the fluency and cohesion of those around him, and yes, very embarrassing how many times he was off side - if he'd been more aware of his surroundings, and stayed on-side, a goal or two was possible from good passes to him!

He's been a great servant for the club, and yes, still has lots of goals left in him, but if we're not careful, we'll have another Drummy situation where he goes on too long, way passed his best, out of sentiment rather than ability.

Jim needs to change his role to one of an impact sub, bring him on for the last 20 minutes or so to occupy the defenders and maybe poach a goal (or two). Or save him for the starting 11 when the others are injured or suspended. We have better options for the starting 11 and it is a great dis-service to the youngsters to deny them the opportunity of playing time. Jack Ryan must really be wondering why he's here!

Yes, Kev may well get 10 goals this season, but what if he's denying a place to Miller or Ryan who may be capable of 15? What if his style of play and lack of passing/foresight is denying the midfielders a goal or two each?

Agree with everything in your common sense post , our football is much more clinical and entertaining.
parceldave

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:07 am

So it's not just me who thinks he shouldn't start then ! Miller played the lone striker four games running and he brings people into the game by holding it up and finding one of our players. We also went on a great run with him leading the line even tho he didn't score. Mullin always is capable of this or can also turn an take the defender on himself and create chances. Alls we seem to do with Kev is try the through ball were he either gets caught offside or out paced by the defender. Yet he doesn't win any headers if we go long. He gets into positions now an again but his finishing isn't great anymore. Someone said he's scored 50 goals for us but how many seasons is that in 4 or 5 ? Not very prolific for a striker even tho he's in the twilight of his career. Been a great servant but must be used as a impact sub when needed if we wana do better than last season !
Kendalshrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:56 am

For me what was unforgiveable yesterday was starting a home game, on the back of four consecutive wins, with 3 strikers on the bench and no recognised striker, cos Kev isn't that, really, in the starting 11. It was then exacerbated when bringing Mullin on of taking one of, if not the, best Morecambe player on the pitch, and the season's top goalscorer so far, off!

Not happy yesterday. Really not happy. :(
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby seantheshrimp » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:10 pm

OUT

Hes more focused on winding people up and diving. Very similar to devitt when they are on top form they are outstanding but when not in form offer nothing.
Mullin is undoubtedly first choice striker but isnt used to playing 90 mins every game.
I feel ellison will be a good edition to the coaching staff next season and this should be his last as a player
seantheshrimp

Postby Vinny » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:50 pm

Agree with everything posted on this thread, except George Dawes. Mullin to start, Kev as an impact sub. Apart from first 20 mins, yesterday was once again very frustrating and not good to watch, changes should have been made sooner. I'd also put McGowan instead of Wilson, and Parrish instead of Edwards. We will need all the squad players as the season goes on when injuries and suspensions take their toll.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby bill ding » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Out , until the last 15/20 mins then bring him on if needed .
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Postby Jettyson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:55 pm

Make no mistake Kev has a role to play just not (for me) in the starting 11 currently.
Jettyson

Postby Posh » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:04 pm

I think people are forgetting Tom Barkhuizen in all this. I'd rather have seen him up front than Kev yesterday.

Kev is a great player and has been awesome for us. His experience gives him a lot of tactical ability and he's still capable of turning a game. However it's clear for all to see that his legs aren't what they were. So when he's put in a central striking role it's never going to work. He's either offside because he has to try and play off the last man or we have to resort to hoofing it to his head. He was beaten on headers by Cresswell et al for what seemed like most of them.

Impact sub for me.

And bring back Paz!
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Jettyson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Barky would be wasted a solo up top.His pace is a major weapon for our counter attacks and if using him as an all out striker he needs to be in a front two, operating in the channels rather than central. Can win headers too, good goal yesterday.
Jettyson

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Jim Is a big mate with Kev but your team first Jim,he deffo has to be a sub 20 mins max!
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby MfcChris » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:27 pm

I know there are various factors in picking a team, such as fitness, the opposition, venue, personal opinion, but this is my favourite team at the minute:

__________Miller___________
__Mullin____________Devitt__
_____Wildig____Fleming_____
__________Goodall__________
Wilson Parrish Edwards Beeley
___________Roche___________

I want to start Dugdale & Barky too!!

Attackers on bench: Kev, Molly, Barky. Don't need Ryan.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:33 pm

One thing I forgot to mention, which has always seriously wound me up about Kev. Why, when charging down an opposition player, does he have to raise his arms when he jumps? At best, if he gets hit, it's a free kick. At worst it's a booking, as it's hand to ball. Surely someone on the coaching staff can see this and say, 'Oy, Kev, no!'.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Wild Bill » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:23 am

Think Kev did OK but he is not a lone striker. Either start him on the wing in support of Mullers or keep him as an impact sub and swap for TB.
Wild Bill

Postby bill ding » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 am

On Saturday when Mark Dixon read out the team in the W&L you could hear a sigh from around the room when Kevs name was mentioned in the starting line up .But what do we know :(
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Postby Ntini » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Wild Bill wrote:Think Kev did OK but he is not a lone striker. Either start him on the wing in support of Mullers or keep him as an impact sub and swap for TB.

For me, that's exactly his role as I see it in this team. He's a really good player for us but not in the role he played on Saturday.

What's more, why play him in place of a younger striker who needs match experience to be really good at this level. Kev won't keep going forever. Yes we need to win games but we also should have one eye on the (very near) future.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby parceldave » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:11 pm

[quote="MfcChris"]I know there are various factors in picking a team, such as fitness, the opposition, venue, personal opinion, but this is my favourite team at the minute:

__________Miller___________
__Mullin____________Devitt__
_____Wildig____Fleming_____
__________Goodall__________
Wilson Parrish Edwards Beeley
___________Roche___________

I want to start Dugdale & Barky too!!

Attackers on bench: Kev, Molly, Barky. Don't need Ryan.[/quote
Very similar to who I would select apart from L.B where I would have McGowan who is much stronger. Maybe Barky for Miller or Mullin , they all have pace and the biggest thing for me is that Mr Wildig is a lot more effective with these guys around him.
parceldave

Postby black morse » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:41 pm

So far we haven't had one post which wants Kev to start. All agree he has still got a role but that role is as an impact sub. The stats seem to bear this out and I thought he did well in that role against Yeovil.
However, Jim can be stubborn and although I hope that the team against Oxford will have Kev as an impact sub I'm not sure it will. To me this seems to be one of the crucial points in our season....include Kev from the start and play the long hoof balls or use him later in the game and let the speedy ball players loose first.
black morse

Postby steve mfc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:10 pm

Kev has been a fantastic player for us one of the best and is still a very important part of the squad but time catches up with us all, Jim says he is one of the fittest players and i don't doubt that but that doesn't take into account that he is not as quick and his reactions are a bit slower at least thats what im seeing.

He still has the knack of finding space and he will still score goals but his overall impact on a game has been reduced, personally i was surprised that Mullin didn't start on Saturday, however lets not make Kev a scapegoat when we lose he deserves better than that.
steve mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:17 pm

steve mfc wrote: lets not make Kev a scapegoat when we lose he deserves better than that.

Good point, but it's more the style of play rather than just losing.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Next

Return to General Discussion