O/t Calais

O/t Calais

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:12 am

Beyond a joke now, it's on the news everyday, the French should be sending the UK a massive policing bill for this mess.

Imagine if Morecambe and Heysham became like this with people wanting to go to the Isle of Man for a lifestyle.
George Dawes

Re: O/t Calais

Postby SolentShrimp » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:19 am

They shouldn't get any further than the first safe country, which obviously ain't the UK!
With everything else that could easily kick off big style, the UK is sleepwalking to becoming a ticking
time-bomb.
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby slackAlice2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:39 am

solentshrimp
They shouldn't get any further than the first safe country, which obviously ain't the UK!

But like somebody pointed out recently if you applied that rule we'd end up with nobody and that ain't fair on the rest of Europe.
The French could just allow free access to the port and then you'd have more chaos. Its not as though the numbers are massive 5-6 thousand; it shouldn't be hard to find them somewhere to go, dispersed across European countries. The problem being you'd have another 5 thousand there in no time; that's a tougher problem to solve. But these people are in most cases traumatised , escaping war zones and desperate poverty, it needs a humanitarian response.
But on this problem Cameron has been slow and indecisive
slackAlice2

Postby SolentShrimp » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:01 am

slackAlice2 wrote:But like somebody pointed out recently if you applied that rule we'd end up with nobody and that ain't fair on the rest of Europe.

And they're nearly all young, healthy looking males.

slackAlice2 wrote:The French could just allow free access to the port and then you'd have more chaos. Its not as though the numbers are massive 5-6 thousand; it shouldn't be hard to find them somewhere to go, dispersed across European countries.

Fair enough. But nobody knows who they are as they haven't got passports, or whether they have criminal records, or what diseases they might be carrying.

slackAlice2 wrote: The problem being you'd have another 5 thousand there in no time; that's a tougher problem to solve.

And another 5 thousand, it's just a constant flow. Then the HR brigade would be pressing for their right to a family life, and that'd mean having their families join them!

slackAlice2 wrote: But these people are in most cases traumatised , escaping war zones and desperate poverty, it needs a humanitarian response. But on this problem Cameron has been slow and indecisive

Billions and billions of £, €, and US$ have been pouring into these countries for donkeys years. Isn't that a humanitarian response?! Where's all that money being going to? Africa is the most resource rich continent on earth. Everybody should be happy and peace loving!
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby slackAlice2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:32 am

And your solution is ?

Build bigger walls and fences ?

Dogs , more police , the Army.

If I was in another country( Syria, Afghan , Sudan etc.) with sweet FA and no prospects , I'd be making my way to somewhere with a future and so would you I suspect.

Its likely to be a massive problem in the future 'Economic Migration'.

You can't realistically sort out their countries of origin , make them safe, easily or quickly, so you need a HUMANITARIAN solution.
Of course there will be bad buggers amongst them, serious criminals, but it needs sorting out. I think you'll see them as predominantly young and male for obvious reasons. The old , infirm, won't be up to the journey and the females will probably be caring for families.
I don't have all the answers and agree you can't just keep taking more and more people in without serious problems here, but we have to share this problem with Europe and help out , just my opinion.
slackAlice2

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:20 pm

My response would be, is be smart and follow Australia, I would build a huge detention centre like a 4* hotel with baloney, all inclusive, free wifi, swimming pool! crazy golf, tennis court! football pitch, entertainment to stay in while they appeal.

Then that way it would stop people playing the old human rights cards.
George Dawes

Postby shrimperteer » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:They shouldn't get any further than the first safe country, which obviously ain't the UK!
With everything else that could easily kick off big style, the UK is sleepwalking to becoming a ticking
time-bomb.

I'd employ them. If someone can make it halfway across the world and then into a country on the bottom of a truck they probably have some get up and go about them.
shrimperteer

Postby halfwayprawn » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:05 pm

The trouble is that you cannot put all north Africa into the UK. Should there be some kind of army be stationed there or should the EDF orBNP be offered to show how they would defend our borders.
halfwayprawn

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:17 pm

I was 'discussing' this with a Solent Dawes type the other day. They were saying how some migrants were being interviewed on TV saying how they want to get to England so they can "make money".

She said "why do they all want to come to England? Why? Because we're a soft touch".
I replied "you know how they were being interviewed on the TV, and they were speaking English? Do you think the fact that they speak English explains why they want to go to England rather than France or Italy?"

*silence*

"I hadn't thought of that". :?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:31 pm

English is the most common language in the world Keith, so it's more valuable in life(Versatile) and opens more doors.

Then Spanish 2nd

so why would somebody want to learn Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Swiss , Austrian, Italian unless they wanted to move there?

I'm learning Spanish it gets you by in South America, even though in Brazil they speak Portuguese, and Argentina Italian, they still understand Spanish as its a Latin based language and more common and gives you more freedom.
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I understand that, what I was explaining is that the language is one of the key reasons for getting to England.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby George Dawes » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Also a lot of schools what have been set up in Africa in the past 100yrs and more have been set up by the Church, with missinories teaching them Christianity in English.
George Dawes

Postby SolentShrimp » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Keith wrote:I understand that, what I was explaining is that the language is one of the key reasons for getting to England.

Africa is a big, big continent, and the English Language is a first or second language in most countries
Africa is mineral rich, potentially the richest continent on earth, so why do migrants need to head north to Europe?
Resources in Kent, NHS, Welfare, Housing, Education are at bursting point.
How would Keith like it if it was all happening at Douglas IOM?
Just my opinion.

SolentShrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Keith wrote:I was 'discussing' this with a Solent Dawes type the other day. They were saying how some migrants were being interviewed on TV saying how they want to get to England so they can "make money".

She said "why do they all want to come to England? Why? Because we're a soft touch".
I replied "you know how they were being interviewed on the TV, and they were speaking English? Do you think the fact that they speak English explains why they want to go to England rather than France or Italy?"

*silence*

"I hadn't thought of that". :?

Language hasn't stopped any one to pastures new so thats an irrelevant comment!!I have to agree with "Because we're a soft touch"IMO
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:23 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:Language hasn't stopped any one to pastures new so thats an irrelevant comment!!

If you needed to flee the UK and you had a choice of a country where you speak the same language or a country where you don't, you seriously wouldn't prefer the country where you can speak the same language? If you have no choice, then you'll just go. But otherwise, it is VERY relevant.

The Lebanon seriously has a 'immigrant' problem. Relative to size, it would be the equivalent of the UK having 20,000,000 refugees. Now THAT is a problem.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Keith wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:Language hasn't stopped any one to pastures new so thats an irrelevant comment!!

If you needed to flee the UK and you had a voice of a country where you speak the same language or a country where you don't, you seriously wouldn't prefer the country where you can speak the same language? If you have no choice, then you'll just go. But otherwise, it is VERY relevant.

The Lebanon seriously has a 'immigrant' problem. Relative to size, it would be the equivalent of the UK having 20,000,000 refugees. Now THAT is a problem.

Back to the problem in Calais Keith....are we a soft touch???
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:05 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:...are we a soft touch???

No

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Keith wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:...are we a soft touch???

No

Oh right, these look happy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rival.html
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 pm

we were not a soft touch in the 1930's when we were turning away jewish refugees,and sending them back to certain death.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby George Dawes » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:48 am

mrpotatohead wrote:we were not a soft touch in the 1930's when we were turning away jewish refugees,and sending them back to certain death.

Don't think people really knew for sure till after WW2 and many just thought Jews were treated just like allied POW, a lot of ordinary Germans were just as horrified after the war when the true story came out.

I bit like them royal family photos giving it nazi salutes as well as the England football team, the 100 meter sprinter Jesse Owens, and athletes in the Berlin Olympics and politicians, actors as well as a certain Man city goal keeper who was in hitler youth, don't think all of them would have taken part if they had known and had any decency .

And the book mein kempf was out about that time in the 30s the royal family had that photo taken, who's to say they read it? How many of us have read the Koran but have opinions on the Middle East ?
George Dawes

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:41 am

Entitlements 'soft touch Britain' provides...

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/overview

I suppose the money saved on Benefits Sanctions helps to fund Asylum Support...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31800500
http://stupidsanctions.tumblr.com/

And in any case here's an example of the best living conditions most will get landed with...

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... r-landlord
Last edited by SolentShrimp on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SolentShrimp

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:50 am

Keith wrote:I understand that, what I was explaining is that the language is one of the key reasons for getting to England.

Hmmm...

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/languages

SolentShrimp

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:39 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rival.html

Feel genuinely sorry for people in such situations, but I wonder how many of our own homeless individuals or families would appreciate such accommodation... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Adam told how he fled South Sudan, claiming his village was bombed by fighter jets. He was then held in a refugee camp in 2012.

After working in a restaurant in Chad he said he reached Libya but was held in jail for two months because he could not pay a release fee, and was then kept as a slave on a farm for six months until he ran away.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:17 pm

[quote][/quote]Muhammad said: 'Coming to England is like being reborn. I have a new life now. The hotel is nice and comfortable.We feel safe here. The country is beautiful and food is good.

How many more do we accommodate ?
shrimpnsave

Next

Return to General Discussion