o/t FA Cup. How old are you?

o/t FA Cup. How old are you?

Postby Keith » Sat May 30, 2015 1:04 pm

eey, do you remember way back, when the FA Cup final was one of about three matches that were shown live on TV? Everything stopped for FA Cup final day, streets deserted. Now it is just another game that is on live. Who's playing? What time is kick off?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: o/t FA Cup. How old are you?

Postby outsider » Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 pm

The BeeB are trying to get it back with the all day build up. But the 5:30 ko is wrong, but better for TV as viewing figures show, so More people do watch it. I like the fact its now the last day of the domestic season again.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby SolentShrimp » Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Last day of the domestic season perhaps, but the 'Last day' keeps shifting right, and it's almost halfway though the cicket season!
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby SolentShrimp » Sat May 30, 2015 1:25 pm

It's 40 years since Alan Taylor's goals for West Ham in the 1975 Final v Fulham.
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:28 pm

SolentShrimp wrote:It's 40 years since Alan Taylor's goals for West Ham in the 1975 Final v Fulham.

The days when shorts really were shorts and the pitches were like Accys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t32VJHYxJo
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat May 30, 2015 2:37 pm

Anybody else see the beeb show the 50 greatest FA Cup moments? In at no 45 Wayne Hatswell!! :D According to jugears the best own goal ever!
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Richard Head » Sat May 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Keith wrote:eey, do you remember way back, when the FA Cup final was one of about three matches that were shown live on TV? Everything stopped for FA Cup final day, streets deserted. Now it is just another game that is on live. Who's playing? What time is kick off?

Sadly I'm old enough to remember those days, playing football on Ryelands Park then home to watch the build up and final then back playing out, first one I remember watching was Man United v Leicester 1963.

First one I went to was Chelsea v Leeds 1970 when my dad got 2 tickets off someone from the Shrimps (Peter Baines might have been the guys name), he gave them to me and my mate and then bought one outside the stadium for a fiver
Richard Head

Postby Seasider9601 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:12 pm

First Cup Final I ever "watched" was the 1979 one, Arsenal 3 Manchester United 2.

Sammy McIlroy in the United team, Jim Harvey in the Arsenal squad, but not on the bench.

I watched some of it whilst waiting for my hair being cut in Eric Dewhirst's barbers shop which was near to Christie Park (that row of shops near where the mini ASDA is now) and I saw pretty much all the second half back at home!!

Great days. Great memories.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby halftimeresults » Sat May 30, 2015 7:27 pm

My first fa cup final was Liverpool v Everton in 86
what I remember about that day was Gary Lineker beat Mark Lawrenson at snooker in the pre Match build up!
halftimeresults

Postby al1 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:58 pm

my first f a cup final was 1967 when spurs beat Chelsea 2-1
al1

Postby Loyalsupporter » Sat May 30, 2015 10:22 pm

Only F.A cup final I care to remember is the one from 1995.
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Postby Rod Taylor » Sun May 31, 2015 10:20 am

Peter Baines, better known at MFC as Harry, played for us during the 1950's and still holds the record for the number of consecutive appearances (237). He was a director from 1964 and chairman when we won the FA Trophy in 1974. Peter, with his wife Jean, ran the butchers shop very near Eric Dewhirst's barber's shop on Lancaster Road. I remember him & his family well, growing up living just down the road from them on Lymm Ave. More infomation in Quinny & Lawrence Bland's excellent book, "The Light At The End Of The Tunnel".
Rod Taylor

Postby Richard Head » Sun May 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Rod Taylor wrote:Peter Baines, better known at MFC as Harry, played for us during the 1950's and still holds the record for the number of consecutive appearances (237). He was a director from 1964 and chairman when we won the FA Trophy in 1974. Peter, with his wife Jean, ran the butchers shop very near Eric Dewhirst's barber's shop on Lancaster Road. I remember him & his family well, growing up living just down the road from them on Lymm Ave. More infomation in Quinny & Lawrence Bland's excellent book, "The Light At The End Of The Tunnel".

I was trying to remember whether the guy my dad got tickets off was called Peter or Harry, I didn't realise they were the same person :D
Richard Head

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Eric (from the barbers) can only really be described as being a double of Bunsen Honeydew from The Muppet Show, right down to the white overall jacket!!

I can hear him now asking my dad back then (we were regulars), " 'ow d'ya want it cock? "

Great days. Great memories!!
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Return to General Discussion