Shrewsbury board have gone mad!

Shrewsbury board have gone mad!

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 am

A couple of weeks ago the board of directors arranged a meeting with the Shropshire Star sports columnist James Garrison about an article he printed about the number of fans which have been issued with banning orders or just been kicked out from the Pro-Star so far this season. I for one thought 'good on you Shrewsbury, football doesn't want thugs anymore'. However, I don't know exactly what has gone on but whether it was because this article made the front page or they don't like the truth or what, I have no idea but Shrewsbury have now banned the Sports Column from the ground all together along with senior reporter Russell Roberts. Have they gone mad :!: For those that don't know: the Shropshire Star is this countries biggest daily local newspaper covering Shropshire and Wolverhampton. Because it is daily it creates alot of publicity for Wolves, AFC Telford + Shrewsbury and has indepth pre + post match reports on all their games and possible transfers thus creating more fans to attend these games. If it wasn't for the Shropshire Star I personally think numbers would be significantly less at mainly Telford + Shrewsbury. After last weeks game and then midweek game against Barnet the Shropshire Star to their credit asked fans to write reports to be published, which they did. I personally would have printed hardly anything because the numbers would soon start to fall. They're mad, completely mad! Football fans like to read about their club + all the gossip, managers interviews etc in their local paper. Because they're banned they can't even interview the manager!
http://www.shropshirestar.com/2008/10/2 ... m-prostar/
http://www.shropshirestar.com/2008/10/2 ... h-reports/
nobbyshrimp

Re: Shrewsbury board have gone mad!

Postby durianmuncher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:37 am

They are still letting the Express and Star reporters in though surely? Fans will just switch newspaper.
durianmuncher

Postby Phoenix » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Raises an interesting question, how many of you buy a newspaper specifically for a match report? (Free papers excluded from the question, I'm talking about handing over your cash for it).

I don't.
Phoenix

Postby durianmuncher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Phoenix wrote:Raises an interesting question, how many of you buy a newspaper specifically for a match report? (Free papers excluded from the question, I'm talking about handing over your cash for it).

I don't.

Fair point now we have broadband internet. Pre 96 though, I always bought The Visitor specifically for the match reports as it was one of the few decent sources of information and allowed for a full reflection after the event.
durianmuncher

Postby Curly » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:Raises an interesting question, how many of you buy a newspaper specifically for a match report? (Free papers excluded from the question, I'm talking about handing over your cash for it).

I don't.

I used to buy the non-league paper every week, but to be honest I read more reports on the computer nowadays.
I don't think the press have too much to worry about though, I remember the phrase "paperless office" with a smile every time I have to reload a photocopier ( as someone else just left it empty).
The phrase "paperless papershop" sounds a bit stupid too!
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby outsider » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:37 pm

i used to when i lived in Coventry " THE PINK " every Saturday night had the report of that days game and all the local sport.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Christies Child » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:41 pm

I don't.

We buy the Visitor to keep up to date with what's happening in the area.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Are yes but alot of you up in the north are not use to a daily local newspaper, as I wasn't at one time. I for one get this delivered daily as the majority do and down here it is quite a big local paper and people here just take it for granted, thinking everywhere is the same in the country. The football club here should be really grateful to the Star for the backing they give them. To put it into context, alot of us moan and groan about not getting Morecambe promoted/noticed enough in the local community and subsequently encouraging more to come. This paper has full spreads almost every day especially after a game and when it comes to a big cup game for instance or Wembley trip they publish front page stuff encouraging people and it really works :!: I like the reports after the Morecambe/Shrews games, even though we have only won once. They should be grateful to the Star. I do know what you mean though about using the web etc etc but this paper really does do alot for Shrewsbury Town and this is how they show there appreciation.
nobbyshrimp

Postby slackAlice » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Just out of interest Nobby how much does it cost daily ? I would probably buy a 'locally orientated' rag if there was one.
slackAlice

Postby USA Shrimp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:57 pm

I don't.

I doubt anyone buys a paper solely for the match reports. The closest to that would be the aforementioned 'pink' (I remember going to Ogden's newsagents of a Saturday to pick that up) which, in the internet age, is dead.

Pre-internet days, when I lived in Leeds, I used to take the bus in to town from my job during my lunch break every Thursday to get a Visitor so I could keep up with the Shrimps.

Bit far to take a bus nowadays.
USA Shrimp

Postby nobbyshrimp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 pm

slackAlice wrote:Just out of interest Nobby how much does it cost daily ? I would probably buy a 'locally orientated' rag if there was one.

35p per day. Suppose its a bit like the LEP but because it is aimed more at Shropshire and the county town is naturally Shrewsbury the majority of articles are Shrewsbury or Telford based and certainly eack Monday you will find normally at least 1+ full page nominated to the Shrews, approaching 1 page to AFC Telford + around half a page to Wolves. It sells approx 77,000 daily copies. Prior to and after EVERY game at the pro-star you get indepth coverage + interviews, gossip etc. In todays paper they have printed 4 letters of complaint from readers saying similar to what I am saying. If they continue with this stupid ban of probably there biggest supporter they could be risking alot of money in gate revenue. Personally, I hope the Star stop reporting all together on them because they'll soon come crawling back but I suppose its difficult because they don't want to lose customers themselves.

On a better note: WELL DONE THE LADS TODAY :!: . Well done McGivern and hope Howe is ok
nobbyshrimp

Return to General Discussion