Jimbo's new car

Re: Jimbo's new car

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:14 am

Andy wrote:Gnasher, the DS4 is selling well down here, looks a good motor (sadly I havent worked on one yet !) Neil I have a C3 Picasso that does 60mpg and £30 tax ! really want a DS3 th myself lol. The insignia is just a Vectra with a new name I think ! as for the Mondeo you could do worse and have a Jag lol

Black C4 by Loeb, 150THP edition, number 835. Kept the stickers on, including Loeb's signature. It'll take a DS4 to replace it. I can get to Hull and Sheffield at an average 45mpg, not bad for an unleaded engine over the pennines.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Andy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 am

not a bad choice Gnasher, we hardly see any of the Loebs in the workshop except for routine servicing ! 45mpg for a car if that ilk is pretty good I would say.
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Duffman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 am

Posh wrote:
Gnasher wrote:Hargreaves Garages, what a joke. Looking at Jim's attire, I'm amazed they didn't kick him out. I went there 7 years ago to buy a new car, I didn't realise Hargreaves had a dress code and I wore jeans and t-shirt. I was looking around the new cars, approached by one of their sales team and advised the cheaper second hand cars were round the back. I walked out and down the road to Wildings Citroen, they were welcoming, polite, helpful and later that day I'd signed for a new Xsara Picasso. I'm on my 3rd new car since then, all from Wildings. I hope you're reading this Stephen.

Yet I went to Wildings one Sunday. We went in and two other couples entered just after. 10 minutes later and the two salespeople hadn't come out from behind their counter. So I went up and asked them for help. It was like I'd asked them to self-circumcise. Bloke comes out, I ask him four questions and each one he goes asks dork 2. I ask why couldn't I just speak to him and he tells me he's busy. We go outside to look at a Picasso. He opens the car and walks off saying 'I'll be inside'. No we'll be off thanks. Grim.

I was at Wildings last week to have my car looked at, took in my C2 VTR and they gave a Dispatch van as a courtesy car! They then charged me £99 to diagnose the check engine light and told me I needed a new exhaust even though my exhaust is only 3 months old. They basically plugged in the code reader and didn't bother to actually check the exhaust. On top of that they quoted me just shy of £600 to replace it! A quick search on Google and I can pick one up for £90.

Terrible experience and won't be going back there again in a hurry.
Duffman

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:59 am

Duffman wrote: won't be going back there again in a hurry.

Get a faster car!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Duffman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Duffman wrote: won't be going back there again in a hurry.

Get a faster car!

Get your coat! :lol:
Duffman

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:09 am

I was at Wildings last week to have my car looked at, took in my C2 VTR and they gave a Dispatch van as a courtesy car! They then charged me £99 to diagnose the check engine light and told me I needed a new exhaust even though my exhaust is only 3 months old. They basically plugged in the code reader and didn't bother to actually check the exhaust. On top of that they quoted me just shy of £600 to replace it! A quick search on Google and I can pick one up for £90.
Terrible experience and won't be going back there again in a hurry.

A month out of the two year manufacturer warranty, complete brake failure on a Cavalier, bought new and fully serviced by Hargreaves. Where the handbrake cable went through some eyelets, a badly fitted cable casing had caught an eyelet and the handbrake stuck on slightly. On a run to Blackpool with the kids, went to brake for traffic lights and the pedal went straight to the floor. The snagged cable had generated heat in the rear brakes and when brake fluid boils, it evaporates. No brake fluid, no brakes. Luckily there was somewhere to run off and it was slightly uphill so no accident.

Hargreaves's attitude was it's out of warranty, tough. Luckily Vauxhall themselves were willing to listen and they paid for the expensive repairs at another garage (both rear brake sets damaged with the excessive heat).
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Mark S » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 am

After having a company car for the previous 6 years, I opted out and bought a three year old Golf Plus from Elite Motors at Garstang. Managed to haggle him down by £1,000 after using guide price books. The cheeky bugger MOT'd it for free as it was due first one and gave six months road tax. Ever since then I have had no problems with it untill I spotted that the front mats were missing. I rang him up and his attitude was that all I had to do was pop in next time I was passing and there would be a set for me! Bloody cheek!
Mark S

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm

That's disgusting service Mark, I'd go back there again if I was you.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Joel Ninety » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:29 pm

I bought a T-reg Renault Megane from SK Car Sales in 2006 and it was brilliant. People got bored of saying "is this your dad's car?" after a few months. If I hadn't moved to this ridiculous craphole where you can't park without paying, and a 99% chance it'll get nicked/dented/smashed up, I'd probably still have it.
Joel Ninety

Postby Posh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm

I bought a biro from WH Smith. Big mistake!

Damn things chewable. Disintegrated in a week, top all manky, bit chunks of plastic off. Took it back and demanded a refund. Refused point blank saying I shouldn't have chewed it. The cheek of it.

Was going to write a letter of complaint but it's now got that thing where it pushes back up into the pen and you have to hold it weirdly and your writing looks all scabby.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Posh wrote:I bought a biro from WH Smith. Big mistake!

Well at least you didn't go to Wildings for your biro! I went there to buy one about five years ago. Well, I didn't actually buy it, more pinched it, but it's the same thing. Anyway, it's stopped working. So I took it back and they refused to change it! Damn cheek! Next time I'll take my chances and pinch a pen from Hargreaves, otherwise I'll have to buy one from W H Smiths, despite their reputation.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Elite Motors gave me a pen and a spare refil 8-)
Mark S

Postby captain sparkle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 pm

i bought some christmas tree lights from Woolies on the prom, a few years back, and they wouldn't work. I took them back, and said to the young girl sales assistant 'this festive festoonery is faulty', she just gave me a slightly scared, blank look, and said 'I'll just get the manager'.
They swapped them over, eventually.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby captain sparkle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Oh yea, this is what i wanted to say!!!
Remember the first car Jim had when he came?
we were coming into the ground one match day, and saw an old bloke drive a taxi into it, and then drive off!!!
We got his reg no. and company address, and reported him to Jimbo.
The cheek!

Presume the old bloke WAS a taxi driver, maybe he'd just stolen it.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Freez » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 pm

OK, does anyone remember Fahys of Morecambe? They used to be on the prom between the train station and the old Empire building, dealing in quality British Leyland vehicles!! They no longer exist.
Many years ago a mate of mine inherited a bit of money via his grandad and was in the market for a newer motor. So he roped me in to pootle round a few garages and see what we could find for around 1000 quid, a tidy some for those days.
So we do Pye Motors with all the Dagenham dustbins, (Cortina's, Escrots, Grandads etc) and eventually end up at Fahys.
Now my mate Chas takes a fancy to a second hand mini, in red, white roof, wide arches, chubby tyres, spotlamps, the works, proper sporty and cool.
He does the usual tyre kicking and gawping under the bonnet with the polyester suited moustache thats attempting to sell it to him before asking for a test drive.
He trots off to get the keys and returns clutching some boiler suits and crash helmets for us all. We stare at one another blankly but put them on and I climb in the back (despite my asthma) and Chas climbs behind the wheel and off we go.
Well, he really gives it some, through the streets of Turin, down some steps while a wedding is coming out, through a piazza dragging a washing line, onto a marble floored covered arcade (bloke cleaning the floor gets annoyed and throws his chammy to the floor and gives up), before you know we have the cops chasing us through sewers and across a wier!!! Imagine?
Eventually, we end up running up the back of a specially prepared coach in the lower alpine mountains and ditching the mini out the back, complete right -off!!!
Fahys no longer exist!! I for one, know the reason why! ;)
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Freez wrote:OK, does anyone remember Fahys of Morecambe? They used to be on the prom between the train station and the old Empire building, dealing in quality British Leyland vehicles!! They no longer exist.
Many years ago a mate of mine inherited a bit of money via his grandad and was in the market for a newer motor. So he roped me in to pootle round a few garages and see what we could find for around 1000 quid, a tidy some for those days.
So we do Pye Motors with all the Dagenham dustbins, (Cortina's, Escrots, Grandads etc) and eventually end up at Fahys.
Now my mate Chas takes a fancy to a second hand mini, in red, white roof, wide arches, chubby tyres, spotlamps, the works, proper sporty and cool.
He does the usual tyre kicking and gawping under the bonnet with the polyester suited moustache thats attempting to sell it to him before asking for a test drive.
He trots off to get the keys and returns clutching some boiler suits and crash helmets for us all. We stare at one another blankly but put them on and I climb in the back (despite my asthma) and Chas climbs behind the wheel and off we go.
Well, he really gives it some, through the streets of Turin, down some steps while a wedding is coming out, through a piazza dragging a washing line, onto a marble floored covered arcade (bloke cleaning the floor gets annoyed and throws his chammy to the floor and gives up), before you know we have the cops chasing us through sewers and across a wier!!! Imagine?
Eventually, we end up running up the back of a specially prepared coach in the lower alpine mountains and ditching the mini out the back, complete right -off!!!

The sons of Fahys managing director are David and Ian Hainsworth and they run David Ian Skoda !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Freez wrote:OK, does anyone remember Fahys of Morecambe? They used to be on the prom between the train station and the old Empire building, dealing in quality British Leyland vehicles!! They no longer exist.

Fahys was reborn on whitelund under the name of DAVIDIAN (skoda)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

The sons of Fahys managing director are David and Ian Hainsworth and they run David Ian Skoda !

:lol: :lol: Pipped at the post heysham :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Next

Return to General Discussion