O/T Can this be right...?????

O/T Can this be right...?????

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:43 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 780948.ece

Sorry if i sound miffed but living on £60.50 a week Job Seekers Allowance like more and more people will be doing in the near future, I then read the above.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Can this be right...?????

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Gaunty on TalkSport had quite a lot to say about this yesterday.
It's just one more example of how sad this once Great nation has become.
Plain Peter

Postby HALMA 1983 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:54 pm

Think of it another way Neil, you wouldn't want to be like them because you've got more about you that they'll ever have,This is the only thing that keeps me going when I drive past these 'lost souls' on the way to the daily grind for a pittance.
I left school at 16 and straight into work in order to help my mother pay the bills at home because that's how life panned out for me not having a father figure from the age of 2, 30 years on and i'm still doing it without ever having other taxpayers bail me out, although I did want to leave my first job because I was getting hurt doing it but was told i'd receive nothing if I did by the job people so I carried on till I found something else.
HALMA 1983

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Good for you mate.
You can keep your head held high.
Plain Peter

Postby campdave » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:15 pm

While it may be true, the fact that it's in the sun makes me very suspicious. It's not like they would ever twist anything would they?

I'm sure John Gaunt would have something to say about it, mainly because he's a c*nt
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Good on ya Oldamade.....you've got my 100% respect.
Christies Child

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:40 pm

campdave wrote:I'm sure John Gaunt would have something to say about it, mainly because he's a c*nt

You obviously listen to him then ;)
He's not my cup of tea either.
But he's almost addictively entertaining, and says a lot that many other people only dare think, or say in private.
I'm waiting for that excuse for a Home Secretary to be brave enough to give him a bell.
Plain Peter

Postby marky » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Peter wrote:Gaunty on TalkSport had quite a lot to say about this yesterday.

See, I never quite understand that. How was the nation 'great'? We had an empire, we exploited millions, enslaved millions, etc. The nation I see now is much better than the one I study at great length...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby parceldave » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Christies Child wrote:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1780948.ece

Sorry if i sound miffed but living on £60.50 a week Job Seekers Allowance like more and more people will be doing in the near future, I then read the above.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats why we have to pay so much tax on income , fuel , v.a.t and road fund which is supposed to fund the building of new roads . Haven't seen many of those built in last few years because they need all that money to subsidise crazy f...king benefits for scroungers. Because i am self - employed but still pay tax and N.I and have to have 8 wks on sick due to Op , i can only get statutary sick pay which is about £58 wk and that will go a long way towards my rent etc etc etc. Think i might go to Finland for a few weeks as an immigrant. :o :o :o
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Like everybody else I've paid my taxes over the years (probably more than anybody on Svs due to my age :lol: ) but it really pisses me off when this type of thing happens.

And before anybody asks, YES it's possibly because I can't get any help that causes me to feel this way. But surely help should be given first and foremost to our own. By all means provide some assistance to those families like the above, but surely not what amounts to a blank cheque.

Rant over.
Christies Child

Postby durhamshrimp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Peter wrote:Gaunty on TalkSport had quite a lot to say about this yesterday.

Who, in all seriousness, listens to what 'Gaunty' has to say? He's a fat biggot in the mould of Littlejohn and anyone who reads The Mail/votes Tory.

Can you inform me please when this nation was supposedly great. I've had enough of morons like you harking back to times that don't actually exist. Was it when Thatcher was destroying our working class? Or was it before when our empire was inflicting 'civilisation' on other countries. You're a fine example of the kind of cretin who can't see past his own glasses that rings into the Jeremey Vine show every day.
durhamshrimp

Postby marky » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:50 am

Was it when the vast majority of people in our country lived in squalor? Was it when Oliver Cromwell acted as puritan dictator? Was it when Henry VIII terrorised the country? Or was it during the countless times we have been invaded?
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby campdave » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:58 am

Peter wrote: and says a lot that many other people only dare think, or say in private.

When has broadcasting biggoted, homophobic, sexist views been something to be proud of?
campdave

Postby Aspers » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:06 am

Lovely weather here today. 8-) :lol:
Aspers

Postby Christies Child » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:14 am

Aspers wrote:Lovely weather here today. 8-) :lol:

...quite a few people are 'hot underneath their collars' over here as well!

Phew......
Christies Child

Postby halfwayliner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:23 am

Could Campdadave please refrain from using that sort of language there are kids reading this forum aswell :oops:
halfwayliner

Postby campdave » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:10 pm

halfwayliner wrote:Could Campdadave please refrain from using that sort of language there are kids reading this forum aswell :oops:

Whilst I take your point, how come it is not acceptable to swear on here, but a largeportion of posters think it is fine to swear on the terraces? I'd wager more kids are exposed to the swearing at Christie than on here.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:27 pm

campdave wrote:
halfwayliner wrote:Could Campdadave please refrain from using that sort of language there are kids reading this forum aswell :oops:

Whilst I take your point, how come it is not acceptable to swear on here, but a largeportion of posters think it is fine to swear on the terraces? I'd wager more kids are exposed to the swearing at Christie than on here.

Fair point.

I do however wonder if swearing in everyday language ( ie the 'americanisation' of our language eg 'fu**') has the same influence on people as when it's used in the written word?

At one time the word 'fuc*' was bleeped out on all TV shows. Now it's used extensively.

Just an opinion.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:34 pm

Christies Child wrote:I do however wonder if swearing in everyday language ( ie the 'americanisation' of our language eg 'fu**') has the same influence on people as when it's used in the written word?

Would this be the 'F' word that has been used in English since the 15th Century, or 300 years before the colony existed? Probably descended from a German or Dutch word.

campdave wrote:

Whilst I take your point, how come it is not acceptable to swear on here, but a large portion of posters think it is fine to swear on the terraces? I'd wager more kids are exposed to the swearing at Christie than on here.

It's not acceptable to swear on here for the simple reason that when we discussed the rights or wrongs of swearing on the forum, a seizable majority came down against it. As someone who has used the very versatile 'F' word probably more than most on here, I accepted that if most were against it, we should respect that.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby slackAlice » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Keith
Would this be the 'F' word that has been used in English since the 15th Century, or 300 years before the colony existed? Probably descended from a German or Dutch word.

I'm not sure about the actual word F*** ; but I remember reading somewhere that the origins of the 'V' sign dates back to the long bows and warfare with those French savages. I think if they captured an English archer they would cut off his index and adjoining finger, so he couldn't use the long bow again.
When ready for battle the archers would raise said fingers in the air towards the French to let them know they had the fingers and were ready for action - so presumably it wasn't associated with the F*** word then. Interesting and plausable - not sure of its authenticity though ?
slackAlice

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:10 pm

slackAlice wrote:Keith

I'm not sure about the actual word F*** ; but I remember reading somewhere that the origins of the 'V' sign dates back to the long bows and warfare with those French savages. I think if they captured an English archer they would cut off his index and adjoining finger, so he couldn't use the long bow again.
When ready for battle the archers would raise said fingers in the air towards the French to let them know they had the fingers and were ready for action - so presumably it wasn't associated with the F*** word then. Interesting and plausable - not sure of its authenticity though ?

Sadly, while this is an excellent story, it is also complete bollox.

I know this because it was on QI once!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby slackAlice » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Keith
Sadly, while this is an excellent story, it is also complete bollox.

I know this because it was on QI once!

Bollox to you maybe, but I like it too much to let it go now. What did Stephen Fry come up with then ??? And is he always right ?

I think there's enough historical anecdotal evidence to say that English long bow men did flash their two fingers BUT they didn't interpret that to mean F*** oFF -more like an act of bravado.
slackAlice

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Slackalice is coorrect with the cutting off of fingers bit!!

also, if you look into the history regarding the battle of hastings, heysham was a renowned supplier of longbow arrows!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Who, in all seriousness, listens to what 'Gaunty' has to say? He's a fat biggot in the mould of Littlejohn and anyone who reads The Mail/votes Tory.

How can you comment if you don't listen to him?
I agree with you though. He makes me cringe sometimes, but so what?

durhamshrimp wrote:Can you inform me please when this nation was supposedly great. I've had enough of morons like you harking back to times that don't actually exist. Was it when Thatcher was destroying our working class? Or was it before when our empire was inflicting 'civilisation' on other countries. You're a fine example of the kind of cretin who can't see past his own glasses that rings into the Jeremey Vine show every day.

I wouldn't expect owt else from you DS.
I suppose you think this country is great now, supporting all and sundry
who fancy raiding our shores for all they can get out of our tax payer funded welfare system.
Answer me this. Why don't asylum seekers seek refuge in their closest safe country?
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:05 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:Slackalice is coorrect with the cutting off of fingers bit!!

Pluck Yew! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.asp

Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion