Game tonight.......

Game tonight.......

Postby Howe Magic » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:08 pm

Just got back from chester after really enjoyable night - played really well in the first half but dropped much to deep in the second but calmly winning the tie on penalties (barry roche was fantastic making three great saves) also credit to the team for bouncing back after conceding the late equaliser takes a lot of balls to do that So into the last sixteen again great achievement after reaching last 4 last season
Howe Magic

Re: Game tonight.......

Postby scalehallshrimp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:18 pm

excellent game,we should have been out of sight by half time,then started playing for time which with our record not a good idea,sure enough they up their game we sit back and they score,fortunately we are rather good at penalty shoot outs except for drummers
still a good night out,we seem to be really up for cup games.Lets put some of that into our league efforts
scalehall shrimp
scalehallshrimp

Postby PottedShrimp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:23 pm

The cliche is true - this was a game of two halves. You've got to question the negative tactics used in the second half, playing "come and get us" is nearly always fatal as we nearly discovered to our cost. The best means of defence is ATTACK. But a grand night out, now let's do it at Gillingham
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:36 pm

PottedShrimp wrote:The cliche is true - this was a game of two halves. You've got to question the negative tactics used in the second half, playing "come and get us" is nearly always fatal as we nearly discovered to our cost. The best means of defence is ATTACK. But a grand night out, now let's do it at Gillingham

ATTACKING FOOTBALL is the only thing that attracts the fans....not holding out for a 1-0 result by being negative 'cause it nearly always catches us out.

Can't remember the last time we went 2-0 up...never mind 3-0. Certainly not this season.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Ego Tripping » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:36 pm

ATTACKING FOOTBALL is the only thing that attracts the fans....not holding out for a 1-0 result by being negative 'cause it nearly always catches us out.

True but this sort of opinion winds me up a bit :x . There are 2 teams in a football match. Could it have possibly been Chester attacking and forcing the pace rather than us sitting back? If we were 1-0 down at half time i'd expect us to come out and have a go.
Ego Tripping

Postby Keith » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:

True but this sort of opinion winds me up a bit :x . There are 2 teams in a football match. Could it have possibly been Chester attacking and forcing the pace rather than us sitting back? If we were 1-0 down at half time i'd expect us to come out and have a go.

Perhaps you are right, but you missed out the rest of the quote...

Can't remember the last time we went 2-0 up...never mind 3-0. Certainly not this season.

I would love to see us go for the throat of teams, right from the off, and look to put a few past them, especially teams who are low on confidence after a poor run. I don't think we do that, and the comment from last night was that we started the second half "too deep". In my opinion, this always results in the opposition growing in confidence. Sometimes, it will be because the opposition have upped their game, but not always. I think that sometimes I get frustrated because I genuinely think we are better than we are showing at the moment and I think if we went at the opposition more often, we would be showing that.

But "good teams win games 1-0"... apparently.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby parceldave » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Keith wrote:
Ego Tripping wrote:

Perhaps you are right, but you missed out the rest of the quote...

I would love to see us go for the throat of teams, right from the off, and look to put a few past them, especially teams who are low on confidence after a poor run. I don't think we do that, and the comment from last night was that we started the second half "too deep". In my opinion, this always results in the opposition growing in confidence. Sometimes, it will be because the opposition have upped their game, but not always. I think that sometimes I get frustrated because I genuinely think we are better than we are showing at the moment and I think if we went at the opposition more often, we would be showing that.

But "good teams win games 1-0"... apparently.

Bloody hell ,does that mean Shrewsbury are absolute crap then. :lol: :lol: :lol: . Joking apart though Christie is right . Its attacking football and goals that draw the crowds in and people sat at home reading that we ground out a 1-1 draw will not be convinced to get off their arses and come down to C.P. I think if i am not mistaken that the last two home games we have had the lowest crowd for league 2 and the fact that the Shrews have scored more goals in 2 games than we have in all 12 is evidence enough as to why people are staying away. Problem is we have lost 2 good attacking flair players who scored goals and unfortunatly have not replaced them with same quality . Dont know if we will ever manage to put 3 past any team in this league this season . :( :( :(
parceldave

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:20 am

We did back off at half time and left Rene isolated 20 to 30 yards ahead of midfield where we left wide open spaces for Chester to play into, gradually building up their confidence till the inevitable happened. Nevertheless we got the result due to keeping our heads and a rather spectacular, immense performance by Roachey ;)

Wycombe are unbeaten at the top of the League ~ they have only scored 11 goals compared to our 10 :!:

The secret is balance, winning 7.0 still only gets you 3 points. It's the goals conceded that is more of a problem... Remember when Arsenal always seemed to win 1-0 , and won things, under George Graham. Now they play more attractive football etc. but don't win trophys.

I can see what you mean by attracting spectators tho' ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:57 pm

marky No.1 wrote:We did back off at half time and left Rene isolated 20 to 30 yards ahead of midfield where we left wide open spaces for Chester to play into, gradually building up their confidence till the inevitable happened. Nevertheless we got the result due to keeping our heads and a rather spectacular, immense performance by Roachey ;)

Wycombe are unbeaten at the top of the League ~ they have only scored 11 goals compared to our 10 :!:

The secret is balance, winning 7.0 still only gets you 3 points. It's the goals conceded that is more of a problem... Remember when Arsenal always seemed to win 1-0 , and won things, under George Graham. Now they play more attractive football etc. but don't win trophys.

I can see what you mean by attracting spectators tho' ;)

Wasn't it great though when we won 7 - 0 , iv'e never seen my son as happy since . I agree about the Arsenal scenario and i think they get bigger crowds now , so in order to get the balance right and the supporters coming back we need to win the next few games 3 1/2 - 0. :lol: .Sorry H.M if you read this just a bit of banter . 8-) 8-)
parceldave

Return to General Discussion