A Season of mistakes.

A Season of mistakes.

Postby N Saban » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 am

:(

I think that is the best way to some up this season. From the Dagenham play-off game away last season for me the writing was on the wall for Sammy Mc. His change of tactics from the positive ones that had got us into the playoffs was a sign of things to come. This season has been the same but it's not just the managers fault. The move of ground to the design of the stadium have undoubtedly impacted on the players to and that is a board decision. The lack of pub to congregate in to the shambolic MBW stand have undoubtedly had an affect on the atmosphere and the famous christie park roar that won us many a game and inspired the players to push on to the final whistle.
As for on the pitch there are to many mistakes and that for me is the responsibility of the manager, his selection and his tactics. I think most fans agree that Artell being released was a massive mistake and the stanley situation have impacted on the team, There are not many youngsters filltering into the team as in the past (with the exception of the Cowperwaithe... who on the basis of his games to date should have been brought into the team earlier and negating the need for capaldi)
The season has been awful but it can be a valuable learning tool which can be used to bring much success if the lessons are learnt. For me Parrish is the man to build the team around... Wilson needs to be retained and Hainning needs to be a regular at centre half. WE need a new manager definately and there has to be a greater emphasis on bringing the younger players through ( a smaller squad with more quality and less journeymen). AS for the ground the summer needs to be used to make it feel more like home adding colour making it a place home fans want to be. Big Changes needed. UP THE SHRIMPS and hopefully on to better things next season.
N Saban

Re: A Season of mistakes.

Postby Ego Tripping » Sun May 01, 2011 11:13 am

Agree with most of this but Artell was not released. He was offered a contract (albeit only 1year) but turned it down and left. I'm amazed how everybody suddenly thinks Artell was a great defender. Remember he played in the 6-0 daggers game and Crewe have hardly been strong at the back this year. I seem to remember he was hardly a fans favourite before the Crewe game and was constantly critisised for poor distribution.
Ego Tripping

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun May 01, 2011 11:52 am

Ego Tripping wrote:Agree with most of this but Artell was not released. He was offered a contract (albeit only 1year) but turned it down and left. I'm amazed how everybody suddenly thinks Artell was a great defender. Remember he played in the 6-0 daggers game and Crewe have hardly been strong at the back this year. I seem to remember he was hardly a fans favourite before the Crewe game and was constantly critisised for poor distribution.

Artell was only offered a 1 year contract because it seemed likely that we would sign Sharps from Rotherham.

If it had been a 2 year deal he may have stayed.

He did score 9 league goals as well.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:28 pm

When is Andy Bishop signing for us? Is he still having his medical???
RedRedWine1

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun May 01, 2011 12:30 pm

RedRedWine wrote:When is Andy Bishop signing for us? Is he still having his medical???

the sooner the better after witnessing yesterdays pantomime :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Posh » Sun May 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Ego Tripping wrote:Agree with most of this but Artell was not released. He was offered a contract (albeit only 1year) but turned it down and left. I'm amazed how everybody suddenly thinks Artell was a great defender. Remember he played in the 6-0 daggers game and Crewe have hardly been strong at the back this year. I seem to remember he was hardly a fans favourite before the Crewe game and was constantly critisised for poor distribution.

Your missing the point. Dave Artell wasn't a great defender but he scored goals, was a leader on and off the pitch, and was the kind of player you would call a 'Shrimp'. The sum of the whole was greater than the parts. Yeah he let the odd goal in, yeah the odd pass was a misguided hoof but, like Craig Stanley, he was a much better player than I think Sammy could see. He was captain of a side that won 7 on the bounce, 5 in a row without conceding a goal. Yet for Sammy, he, and Bents, weren't first team footballers.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby james456 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Posh wrote:

Your missing the point. Dave Artell wasn't a great defender but he scored goals, was a leader on and off the pitch, and was the kind of player you would call a 'Shrimp'. The sum of the whole was greater than the parts. Yeah he let the odd goal in, yeah the odd pass was a misguided hoof but, like Craig Stanley, he was a much better player than I think Sammy could see. He was captain of a side that won 7 on the bounce, 5 in a row without conceding a goal. Yet for Sammy, he, and Bents, weren't first team footballers.

I think that highlights the main problem this season.

In years gone by, we've had players like Artell and Curtis who - with the utmost respect to them - were hardly top quality footballers. The football on offer was not always pacey, incisive or clever but the team spirit was always there. When we were several goals down, the belief we could get back into it was always there.

This season, Sammy has tried to reshape the squad into a team full of so called "better players" - mostly with football league pedigrees who should be capable of playing good football. When we lined up 4-5-1 in the first game of the season against Coventry, you could see what he was trying to do. Sadly, in doing so, he has taken away the soul of the team to make way for a collection of players who might be technically better but have no special desire to do well for Morecambe FC.

I don't know how easy it would be for us to develop that kind of team spirit again - or if Sammy is the man to do that but I think if he is our manager next season, he needs to see that it simply hasn't worked this season and be man enough to consider changing his strategy completely.

If you have 4 great seasons, one crap one and continue with the crap approach, you don't have a future. If you have 4 great seasons, one crap one and then learn from that, you're a good manager.
james456

Postby Keith » Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 pm

james456 wrote:I don't know how easy it would be for us to develop that kind of team spirit again - or if Sammy is the man to do that

I'd love to know if new players are still delivered in to first meet the rest of the squad in a wheelie-bin, then have to jump up and sing a song? If not, I wonder where it ended?

james456 wrote:but I think if he is our manager next season, he needs to see that it simply hasn't worked this season and be man enough to consider changing his strategy completely.

If you have 4 great seasons, one crap one and continue with the crap approach, you don't have a future. If you have 4 great seasons, one crap one and then learn from that, you're a good manager.

Exactly!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby seasonsinthesun » Mon May 02, 2011 9:32 am

Which is why I believe Sammy will be staying for next season.
I think the board will treat this as one poor season, what with the difficult pre-season thing and the new ground etc.etc. he may well be given another chance to see what he can do with a full pre-season and no excuses with moving to a new ground this time around.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Christies Child » Mon May 02, 2011 10:04 am

seasonsinthesun wrote:Which is why I believe Sammy will be staying for next season.I think the board will treat this as one poor season, what with the difficult pre-season thing and the new ground etc.etc. he may well be given another chance to see what he can do with a full pre-season and no excuses with moving to a new ground this time around.

Whilst I and I suspect a growing majority hope otherwise, I feel that you may be correct.

It's all well and good putting it down to the Globe and the lack of a proper pre-season but some of the players brought in have not lived up to expectations and I can't accept that the squad overall is stronger, based on the poor performances over the season that have become the norm. For me, our tactics and style of play have been so negative compared with other seasons.

Whoever is the manager come July, I will continue to support our club but if SMc remains at the helm, I fear that another season of poor entertainment is ahead of us.

I hope I'm wrong and would be delighted to be proven wrong, but...... :!: :!: :!:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Mon May 02, 2011 2:19 pm

I actually agree with you CC in that Sammy has made mistakes, I am just predicting what I think may happen, not necessarily what I would like to happen.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Return to General Discussion