John Coleman

John Coleman

Postby marky » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Whenever we have debates over the future direction of Morecambe management, Sammy McIlroy's supporters often bring up the fact that each season has seen continual improvement (until this year). I thought I'd look into the record of John Coleman, often touted as a possible replacement, since he's been at Accrington. It makes astonishingly impressive reading. Since he became Accrington manager in 1999, his side has finished in a higher position in all but one season, when they finished in 10th in the Conference National for a second consecutive season in 2005. That makes 10 of 11 seasons that Accrington have improved under his tenure. With a few games left, it looks very likely he'll achieve an 11th season of improvement. They have never done any worse under him. Food for thought.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Re: John Coleman

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:26 pm

...............and another name for the mix...........Ronnie Moore.
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Jim Bentley. End of.

Coleman would cost a fortune to get out of his contract, that's why he couldn't be interviewed at Bradford recently. I'd rather appoint Jim, someone who loves the club and is suitably qualified, and give him the money to spend on developing the team rather than buying Coleman. Jim has been successful in his early management ('local' football in Liverpool and now with the reserves) and he's done his coaching badges.

Not that there's a job available.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby stevanshrimp » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 pm

......And JC said he wanted to manage a City team to persuade him to leave Accy.
Although they would have to have the funds for the compensation aswell!
I still believe!
stevanshrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Regardless of compo, Coleman would have to be certifiable to leave Accy to try and manage this mess,
Never mind a new broom, I think we need a snow plough here!
HALMA 1983

Postby ezz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

They both have very good records with their current clubs, is this season a blip? Or is it a warning for the future?
Coleman at the moment doesn't look like a realistic replacement unless he's going up a league, or to a very decent outfit already in this league.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Phil Anderer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Sorry, but I have to disagree over Jim Bentley. He's spent too long as a player under Sammy, and if there's one thing we desperately need it's new ideas, not continuin with the old ones. I'd like to see Jim spend some time as a number two (no pun intended) under a more experienced manager, to prepare him better for taking over one day as the top man. It's too soon, but if he were to be made caretaker manager while we look for a replacement for Sammy, he would have my full support.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby ezz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Whats to say Jimob doesn't have his own ideas? Or has he told you his tactics would be to follow Sammy?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:Sorry, but I have to disagree over Jim Bentley. He's spent too long as a player under Sammy, and if there's one thing we desperately need it's new ideas, not continuin with the old ones. I'd like to see Jim spend some time as a number two (no pun intended) under a more experienced manager, to prepare him better for taking over one day as the top man. It's too soon, but if he were to be made caretaker manager while we look for a replacement for Sammy, he would have my full support.

Maybe Jimbo is as sick as us of the current tactics (or lack of..you decide) for him to be his own man and do it his way.

He's got the respect of the Chairman, the fans and I suspect the players. So what's stopping him taking over?

Some say he lacks experience. But a certain 33 year old at Bournemouth did a pretty good job with no experience to call on.

Maybe the current manager will look back at his credible achievements with our club and prefer to walk with his head held high early than be the manager who (possibly) got us relegated. No matter what I think of him as a manager, I wouldn't want to see him as the guy who took us down after all he's done for our club.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:45 pm

I wouldn't want to see him as the guy who took us down after all he's done for our club.

are you sure with the above mentioned statement :?:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:56 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:I wouldn't want to see him as the guy who took us down after all he's done for our club.

are you sure with the above mentioned statement :?:

Definately.

Hell it's no secret that I don't like his style of play or management, but I respect him for what he has done for our club, and therefore I want him to go now rather then suffer the personal humiliation of possible relegation.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:22 pm

ezz wrote:Whats to say Jimob doesn't have his own ideas? Or has he told you his tactics would be to follow Sammy?

I think Jimbo would have some really good ideas a lot different to Sammy, he is not doing to bad with the Ressies is he?
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Christies Child wrote:Hell it's no secret that I don't like his style of play or management, but I respect him for what he has done for our club, and therefore I want him to go now rather then suffer the personal humiliation of possible relegation.

In a nutshell there Neil, Fully agree with all of that.
HALMA 1983

Postby morecambegeek » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm past caring who replaces him. I want McIlroy out.

I'd like to think the players would show more passion if we had anything left to play for, but I'm not sure any more. Such a disappointing season from start to end.
morecambegeek

Postby maccawozzagod » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 am

i think the season where Stanley didnt improve on the previous seasons position they did actually finish with a point extra - so even though they were down a position they had a higher points total, so technically still improved.

The interesting bit is that at Ashton before Stanley he improved them two years running before being sacked for only finishing 2nd (and winning a cup as well). So for Coley it is 13 years running and only 5 points to go before making that 14 years running. It's not just the crappy budgets at Accrington that make it all the more astounding, but the constant off the field battles for the last four years would have broken a lesser man.
maccawozzagod

Postby outsider » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 am

Suffolk Shrimp wrote:...............and another name for the mix...........Ronnie Moore.

With Jim no2
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby bigreddog » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am

Sammy still has a job to do, as he made clear in his interview last week, he wants to keep us in the football league, then make a decision. if that's what he wants then I fully respect that. If he does decide to call it a day, I for one, would be very dissapointed if we didn't have an opportunity to say goodbye and thank you. I wouldn't like it to be some press statement in the visitor after the season is done.

On the Coleman thing, he is a superb manager, who has proven with few if any resources, that you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. don't forget though that there is one man who's team have finished above Coleman's in each of the last three league seasons, and that's the one managed by Sammy McIlroy. Coleman is a Morecambe legend and a good manager, but he's far from being a massiah.

I have not and will not even think of a replacement for Sammy until Sammy says there's a vacancy. there are though, some very interesting views on it, not least the former Rotherham manager mentioned above.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:11 pm

And it would be only fitting that Pobble made his peace with Sammy by seeing him off the premises in person :lol:
HALMA 1983

Return to General Discussion