O/T Stay clear of this insurance company

O/T Stay clear of this insurance company

Postby Christies Child » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Don't be tempted by low cost quotes for driving from One Call Insurance.

I did, and am living to regret it.

They apply additional charges to the quoted premium AFTER you've signed up. There is a whole web site that reports of bad practices that include taking monies direct from ones account without permission if you pay by credit card.

I have to prove that I've got maximum no claims based on over 35 years of clean driving. Very few people will have insurance documents going that far back as proof!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Stay clear of this insurance company

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:33 pm

you have a fourteen day cooling off period with any motor insurance policy so why did nt you cancel and get a refund :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby George Dawes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Christies Child wrote:Don't be tempted by low cost quotes for driving from One Call Insurance.

I did, and am living to regret it.

They apply additional charges to the quoted premium AFTER you've signed up. There is a whole web site that reports of bad practices that include taking monies direct from ones account without permission if you pay by credit card.

I have to prove that I've got maximum no claims based on over 35 years of clean driving. Very few people will have insurance documents going that far back as proof!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

theres a lot like that about a similar thing happened with me after i paid the full amount with a one off payment as i couldn't be bothered with direct debit

and basically once they had the money they started moving he goal posts and being Kirsten Jankers with me and told me i could cancel but i would loose 50% of what id just paid out in full for my van insurance if i didn't show them proof of 10 yrs no claims bonus when they originally asked for 5yrs

so i managed to just about prove it and when my 12 month contract does expire i wont be renewing it!! i will go with somebody else and just go direct debit next time so then they can only be Jankers with a one month payment as i will just cancel the rest of the payments with my bank
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:51 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:you have a fourteen day cooling off period with any motor insurance policy so why did nt you cancel and get a refund :?:

Valid question, but it was after the initial 14 days that they started playing silly b*ggers with threats of taking a high percentage of the cost and leaving me with sod all if I moved. I'm not the only one that has problems with this lot. Hence why I'm warning all SV's to not to use them!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby The Marksman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 am

How do you prove 10 years of no-claims bonus? What do you have to show them?
The Marksman

Postby slackAlice » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 am

The Marksman wrote:How do you prove 10 years of no-claims bonus? What do you have to show them?

A reputable insurance co provides you with a letter confirming the length of cover with them and details of any/ no claims. The last time I changed I had to badger them a bit but I'm sure they are [legally] obliged to provide these details?

I was under the impression that 9 yrs was like a MAX NCD - 35 years is madness ! Its a good shout though -warning against such scams - because I think nearly everybody changes insurance [Motor/ House etc.] on an annual basis now.
slackAlice

Postby Gnasher » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:42 pm

Most insurance renewal documents state how many years no claim bonus they include and that was the evidence I used when I switched from DirectLine to LV recently. If the renewal doesn't make it clear and you're looking to switch then you can ask your existing company to provide your no claim entitlement in writing. If you get a quote from One Call's web site, the available answers to the no claim bonus question only goes up to 10 so 35 years is a weird demand.

With premiums ever rising, more and more claims being made and stories about companies using any excuse to get out of a claim, long ago I decided to stick to main-stream well known insurance companies.

An expensive lesson but next time remember, Google is your friend :!:

P.S. Check your renewal documents, I left DirectLine because not only did the base premium go up, it included an increase on the voluntary excess and they added an excess for windscreen repair claims. LV were a very similar price but I do a lot of business miles and LV just have a >25,000 business miles option whereas DirectLine's business mile options (and premium costs) went up in blocks of 5,000 to 100,000.

I'd also stay away from insurance comparison sites, you'll never hear the end of them and they are more interested in putting you on to a better commission deal for themselves than they are getting you a good deal. After quote Swinton online as the best deal, £200 more than DirectLine, they phoned me up within minutes of completing the online form and said Swinton really wanted to talk to me and transferred me straight to Swinton. When Swinton answered they said they thought it was a great price, I said they thought wrong and hung up. 5 more calls later they finally got the message to f'k off. Great TV adverts though :lol:
Last edited by Gnasher on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I had the same issue (well, similar) with the RAC last year.

Basically, my better half's car came off the road and we SORN'd it and cancelled our insurance policy with the RAC (which we had had for 10 years, without a claim being made. Ever). Shortly before cancellation, RAC sent us notification of our next years policy price, detailing our 10 years NCB.

When we invested in another car and phoned the RAC to insure it, we explained the above and that we had their notification of 10 years NCB etc and they called up the old policy on their system etc, and verified it as being true. Quote given, policy purchased.

2 months later I get a letter saying if I don't send proof of my 10 years NCB, they will cancel my policy !! This having been allegedly "verified" by their agent on the phone at time of my new purchase of insurance !! As I said to the RAC when I sent them proof of my 10 years (which was obviously issued by themselves also ....!!!) I suspect the verification at time of my new purchase was allegedly done just in order to get the sale.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby George Dawes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 pm

The Marksman wrote:How do you prove 10 years of no-claims bonus? What do you have to show them?
i think i did it with my last recent statement of insurance certificate and thats not the proof of insurance certificate you would show the police etc
George Dawes

Postby captain sparkle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

The 'renewal statement' is what you need. A reputable company will have the amount of NCB printed on there.Gets a bit confusing when different companies have different 'full no claims' criteria, i.e. some it's 5 years, some it's 9, etc.
I have actually had experience of companies allowing me full NCB, and not requiring proof unless an incident occurs, very strange!
Always keep your renewals.
Well, for a few years, anyway.
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Return to General Discussion