Citizen half-time from Lincoln

Citizen half-time from Lincoln

Postby Matt Donlan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Usual coverage all afternoon - and the good people of Lincoln have arranged a flypast of two giant and noisy Lancaster Bombers just as I type....all very decent of them.

http://www.thelancasterandmorecambecitizen.co.uk/sport/
Last edited by Matt Donlan on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Donlan

Re: Citizen coverage from Lincoln

Postby paulw » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Matt Donlan wrote:- and the good people of Lincoln have arranged a flypast of two giant and noisy Lancaster Bombers just as I type

Well, you learn something new every day. I thought there was only one that was airworthy.
paulw

Re: Citizen coverage from Lincoln

Postby paulw » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:31 pm

paulw wrote:
Matt Donlan wrote:- and the good people of Lincoln have arranged a flypast of two giant and noisy Lancaster Bombers just as I type

Well, you learn something new every day. I thought there was only one that was airworthy.

So, I WAS right, there is only one that's airworthy. Well, in this country anyway. I've checked up on the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight website and there are, in fact, two Lancaster Bombers in operation. However, there's only one in this country. The other one is in Canada.

As part of the flight, they do operate a Dakota, so it may have been that you saw. Mind you, there's a heck of a difference between the two!
paulw

Re: Citizen half-time from Lincoln

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Matt's accuracy & attention to detail has resulted in the BBC News On-line scouting him for a position there. Apparently though, they lost interest after he repeatedly failed to call us 'shrimpers'...

Lancaster Bomber attacking Douglas Harbour last year... Only one of them on this occasion.

The Lancaster flew around in a circle and then came back over, giving the impression that there were two of them... :roll: 8-)

[Paul, you realise, if the Canadian one has flown across to the UK for some special reason, we're both going to feel very silly?]
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Mark S » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Keith wrote:The Lancaster flew around in a circle and then came back over, giving the impression that there were two of them... :roll: 8-)

That isnt that far from the truth I bet. They still point at aeroplanes in the Isle Of Man dont they? :lol:
Mark S

Postby Keith » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:44 pm

take photos of them too!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:18 pm

And in Lincoln

DSC03621_1.jpg
DSC03621_1.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Phoenix

Postby paulw » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Keith wrote:Matt's accuracy & attention to detail has resulted in the BBC News On-line scouting him for a position there. Apparently though, they lost interest after he repeatedly failed to call us 'shrimpers'...

Funny, that. When I mentioned to my brother what he'd posted, he said something along the lines of 'why am I not surprised?!'

Keith wrote:[Paul, you realise, if the Canadian one has flown across to the UK for some special reason, we're both going to feel very silly?]

I'd be surprised if that one ever did come over. Last I heard (and this was a good few years ago now) it was being used for the coastguard or as a fireplane or something. Definitely being used for a purpose other than displays and heritage.

Phoenix wrote:And in Lincoln

DSC03621_1.jpg

Looks like that could very well be the Dakota (the top one, of course!). I'm not totally au fait with aeroplane recognition, but it's definitely NOT a Lancaster Bomber!
paulw

Postby skyecat » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:31 pm

Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association Day
http://www.bbmf.co.uk/september08.html

The above website shows there were the Lancaster Bomber, 3 Spitfires, 1 Hurricane and 1 Dakota in the air.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Return to General Discussion