Stockport Predictions & Team Selection

Stockport Predictions & Team Selection

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 am

It depends which Morecambe team turns up, the one that beats the top teams and plays attractive football or the one that shows no passion or desire to win a game.

We decked these 5-0 a month or two ago after they went down to 10 men early on. Based on the above (which counts for nothing) I am going for a 1-1 draw.

I think Sammy will play the same team as yesterday too!

Any news on Jevons?
Sammy h

Re: Stockport Predictions & Team Selection

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 am

i think SM will go with the same team

id keep the same apart from Mullin id play Duffy upfront behind Spencer if Jevons isn't available other wise we will hit long balls up in the air to Mullin all game and it will seriously do my head in.
George Dawes

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

Sod 5-3-2! We need Duffy to be in the side cos he's the only player who can really run at a defender make them wet themselves then swing in a great cross.
Little Shrimp

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 am

Roche
Parrish Charnock McCready Wilson
Duffy Stanley Brown Rundle
Jevons (if fit) Mullin

Pump the ball from the wings and just hit them with both barrels. Please. DONT HOOF IT.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 am

you could tweak it and still play 3 central defenders at the back in a 3 4 3 to allow Duffy and Rundle to play upfront with Spencer allowing us to play with more width and get quality crosses into that box

Roche
Parrish McCready Charnock
Brown Stanley Drummond Wilson
Duffy Spencer Rundle
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:23 pm

Keep it tight, be happy with 0-0 but hope to grab a goal from a set piece.

So 1-0 to Stockport then and a post match interview blaming an individual error.

I would like to see Duffy in the hole behind Mullin so there is someone to feed off him. At least with Duffy running at defenders we'd get a few penalties if nothing else. Mullin on his own trying to fashion something from a long ball is never going to work and is turning him in to a scapegoat in some people's mind.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Now Sammy's neck is on the block I expect some radical changes.

If he plays Hunter again my season ticket will be available in all good local charity shops !

Roche

Parrish McReady Charnock Wilson

Brown Stanley Fleming Rundle

Spencer/Jevons if fit Duffy

subs
Walker
Drummond
Bentley
Capaldi
Shuker
Mullin
Hendrie
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 pm

A defeat to stockport and sm HAS to go! No if buts or maybes! I just hope he actually sends a team out to try to win instead of grabbing a point and being happy as he was hoping yesterday
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Keith wrote:Keep it tight, be happy with 0-0 but hope to grab a goal from a set piece.

So 1-0 to Stockport then and a post match interview blaming an individual error.

I would like to see Duffy in the hole behind Mullin so there is someone to feed off him. At least with Duffy running at defenders we'd get a few penalties if nothing else. Mullin on his own trying to fashion something from a long ball is never going to work and is turning him in to a scapegoat in some people's mind.

you would drop Spencer? for me he's been one of the few positives recently with a good first touch and looks dangerous

plus i think the Stockport defenders will relish playing Mullin who will be easier to mark than Spencer who they will probably know nothing about
George Dawes

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 pm

With 2 games in 3 days I'm sure there would have been changes anyway to freshen things up - I would expect Drummond to be dropped after his woeful performance, hunter is unfortunately out so Parrish to RB and Jimbo back in. Duffy will probably play too.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:58 pm

I can't believe people are saying they would keep Mullin in the team!

I would rather play with ten men than have that absolute waste of space falling over and running into people.

I really do think we should give Hendrie a chance, what has he got to lose? :lol:
Sammy h

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Sammy h wrote:I can't believe people are saying they would keep Mullin in the team!

I would rather play with ten men than have that absolute waste of space falling over and running into people.

I think it is as much to do with how you play Mullin. Since I've been taking photographs I've realised just how much he gets pulled, pushed, fouled and closely marked. He gets very little protection from refs either. This should open up space for others to exploit but they don't because there is rarely anyone else up with him (hence my saying I'd play Duffy up behind him). Playing long ball to a target man who is not getting any support is never going to result in goals. He works extremely hard but give the guy some support. While I'm not against Spencer, I've not yet seen anything to suggest that he is a clinical finisher. That may well come in time and with a run in the first team. Jevons & Mullin is still our best chance of scoring goals from open play. Either of those two up front on their own will be ineffective.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Loglayer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm going (if game is on). I don't care who plays as long as they win. The accy game was appalling and the players should hang there heads in shame.
Loglayer

Postby james456 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:03 pm

For starters, go back to 4-4-2.

Roche
Duffy Stanley Fleming Rundle
Spencer Jevons
james456

Postby steve mfc » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Keith wrote:
Sammy h wrote:I can't believe people are saying they would keep Mullin in the team!

I think it is as much to do with how you play Mullin. Since I've been taking photographs I've realised just how much he gets pulled, pushed, fouled and closely marked. He gets very little protection from refs either. This should open up space for others to exploit but they don't because there is rarely anyone else up with him (hence my saying I'd play Duffy up behind him). Playing long ball to a target man who is not getting any support is never going to result in goals. He works extremely hard but give the guy some support. While I'm not against Spencer, I've not yet seen anything to suggest that he is a clinical finisher. That may well come in time and with a run in the first team. Jevons & Mullin is still our best chance of scoring goals from open play. Either of those two up front on their own will be ineffective.

Have to disagree with that, Mullin was awful yesterday, for a big man he goes down far to easily, he doesn't win that many headers either and when he does they usually go to where we don't have a player, Spencer on the other hand controls the ball much better brings the ball under control and keeps possession, Spencer and Jevons also combined much better against Port Vale than Mullin and Jevons ever have.
steve mfc

Postby ockers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:23 pm

[quote="Heysham_Shrimp"]Now Sammy's neck is on the block I expect some radical changes.

If he plays Hunter again my season ticket will be available in all good local charity shops !

garry has a medial knee ligamnet injury which will keep him out for a few weeks sadly
but im sure you will take great delight in that
ockers

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:23 pm

james456 wrote:For starters, go back to 4-4-2.

Roche
Duffy Stanley Fleming Rundle
Spencer Jevons

hmmm you could be right maybe it is a good idea going back to basics with a 4 4 2 with orthodox wingers

all i know is we need to play a settled formation what will get us urgently needed goals!
George Dawes

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:28 pm

The formation changes can't be good for the team, do you think SM knows his best 11?

Everytime I have seen Rundle he has been pants. I have said it time and time again Wilson should be used as a left winger, that means bringing in Capaldi though (if he hasn't been shot yet)

Alternatively we could go 3-4-3 and use Wilson as a left striker.
Sammy h

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Rundle is a mystery man..last started a game on 13th Nov v. Lincoln.
Sammy must have changed his mind about him since signing him, unless he has been injured which I was not aware of.
Also Shuker is similar.....last time in the starting eleven v.Southend on 18th Sept.
Summer signings who have been conspicuous by their absence.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Keith » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Sammy h wrote:TI have said it time and time again Wilson should be used as a left winger

But when he has been used as a winger, he was awful. Whether he can learn to be one, I don't know but now isn't the time to start playing anyone else out of position IMHO

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Keith wrote:
Sammy h wrote:TI have said it time and time again Wilson should be used as a left winger

But when he has been used as a winger, he was awful. Whether he can learn to be one, I don't know but now isn't the time to start playing anyone else out of position IMHO

He can't tackle and he is one of very few players (if any) that can beat a man and you actually think he can do something when he gets the ball.

Anyone remember when it used to be exciting to watch Morecambe when we had Tommo who could beat a man, cut inside and score?

Laurence Wilson can be that player, I honestly believe that. If now is not the time to experiment when is? F*** all else seems to be working.
Sammy h

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Tommo had/has pace to leave his marker.. and as much as i rate Wilson i dont think he's that pace
George Dawes

Postby james456 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:56 pm

One thing seems obvious: we need to play at least one winger. We've always played best with a wide formation, quickly getting the ball to our wingers and into the final third.

With no driving/creative force in the centre and Hunter/Brown sitting deep on either side of said midfield, we've not exactly got the opposition quaking in their boots.
james456

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:40 pm

"Fully Fit Squad" Who writes this tosh? What about Gaz, Jev, Will, Rundle??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 313788.stm
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Now_Then » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Yesterday, there were three wingers sat on the bench. OK, they are adaptable and can play elsewhere, but they are wingers all the same. So, You have 3 wingers sat there, all quality players in their own right but you have a team playing a formation that doesnt incorparate wingers. You have a striker who isnt mobile, is knocking on, doesnt have the best touch but is a threat in the air. Surely you tell this striker to stay in the middle and do nothing but get his head on the end of crosses, like he has done all his career? Nope, you have him running into channels, battling to centre halves for flicks on to players 20 yards away and pretty much makiing him a laughing stock.

Go 4-4-2, get the wingers on, get brown and stanners running the mifield, get garry hunter well away from right wing back, get parrish at right back, get jimbo and his motivation back in the defence and get back to playing simple football for a change.

Do the jose at chelsea, go 4-5-1. have your three centre mids but make sure two of them push on and maybe get in the box on more than 1 occasion. Make runs from deep, put their full backs on the backfoot for a change, make their goalie come and catch crosses.

Play players where they are meant to play and knock this glenn hoddle 3-5-2 crap on its head now. Stop being so scared of losing that we dont know how to win. If they score 1, go and get 2! Moneys hard to come by these days, not many people can afford to spend it that rubbish we saw yesterday.
Now_Then

Next

Return to General Discussion