Take your p45 Sammy and just go

Re: Take your p45 Sammy and just go

Postby ockers » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Sammy h wrote:
ockers wrote:
MfcChris wrote:Ockers is Wilson ill?

Hasn't been in the 18 squad for a couple of games now, never mind the 11. It is like he has disappeared. There must be a reason he does not even train with the lads before the game anymore.

Well i saw him today at the ground
not selected
not sure dont think hes ill or injured
up to him to get his place back i would have thought
capaldi coming here brings competition for that place which imho is what we need as we need throughout the team

Come on Sean. Capaldi was a joke, he gifted them their 1st goal with a terrible schoolboy error. Every pass was a 40 yard punt upfield, none of which reached one of our players. His throw is the only good thing about him. Bring Wilson back in, one of the best players we have at the club!

his throw lead to our first goal yesterday
the 66 at southend would disagree with you
2 matches in and youre on his back?
admittedly he was at fault for their first goal
but two matchses in?
hard to please arent we?
ockers

Postby Sammy h » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Not hard to please at all. Just annoying when Sammy brings him straight into the team, what has Wilson done wrong? Got sent off?

He gets forward, great crosser of the ball, great dribbler. I saw nothing at all of Capaldi yesterday which showed me he was an international player, then again he is Northern Irish.
Sammy h

Postby Moose » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Bare Ben wrote:"Take your P45 Sammy and just go" :roll: People who talk about sacking Sammy just make me cringe. They all seem to be so forgetful. The man is an absolute hero and it's unfair to suggest it. He puts it right every time, we have got out of worse situations than this. Level heads needed. It will all come good, you have no devine right to beat anyone in this league.

Giving up and just not going any more - I say f*** 'em, they aren't real fans if that's the case.

Have to agree about Capaldi though, looked like he was just on the pitch to hoof it and throw it. :(

Yeah.. great point... not like MFC is a now more of a busness and not just a game of football to watch is it... f*** em.. we don't need em... :roll:
Moose

Postby Happy Harry » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:10 pm

This is a record even for us!

'Sammy Out' in September? Usually reserved for October isnt it? :lol:

What nonsense! :lol:

Lets not over react. String three wins together and we are in the mix at the top end. It is the same every season. Four points out of a possible six isnt too bad. A win on Tuesday and we are looking good. No easy games in this league. If the Ref had done his job properly we would have had a penalty and won the match yesterday.
Happy Harry

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Moose wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:"Take your P45 Sammy and just go" :roll: People who talk about sacking Sammy just make me cringe. They all seem to be so forgetful. The man is an absolute hero and it's unfair to suggest it. He puts it right every time, we have got out of worse situations than this. Level heads needed. It will all come good, you have no devine right to beat anyone in this league.

Giving up and just not going any more - I say f*** 'em, they aren't real fans if that's the case.

Have to agree about Capaldi though, looked like he was just on the pitch to hoof it and throw it. :(

Yeah.. great point... not like MFC is a now more of a busness and not just a game of football to watch is it... f*** em.. we don't need em... :roll:

Yeah, that's what I said. Round of applause.
Bare Ben

Postby Lloydie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Probably get shot down here but here goes....

I don't think losing Sammy would be a massive loss, more of a loss would be Jimbo and Mark Lillis. I would quite like to see them in as the management team and thus saving the club money on Sammy's no doubt large salary.
Lloydie

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Lloydie wrote:Probably get shot down here but here goes....

I don't think losing Sammy would be a massive loss, more of a loss would be Jimbo and Mark Lillis. I would quite like to see them in as the management team and thus saving the club money on Sammy's no doubt large salary.

Fully agree. Sammy inherited a great side to take us into the league, but to me it looked like Jimbo was doing much of the motivating.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:

Fully agree. Sammy inherited a great side to take us into the league, but to me it looked like Jimbo was doing much of the motivating.

you will probably only get the same reply as me "what do you want him to do go on the pitch and play for them" :?

i just tried pointing out about SM at times when the team go behind he stops talking(motivating) to the players and just sits on the bench and sulks
George Dawes

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Honestly, would we be able to attract a better manager? I mean yes he can sulk but still, he pulls it out of the bag. We will have to see. :)
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby marky » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:Honestly, would we be able to attract a better manager?

Personally, I don't believe we'd have ANY problem in finding a new better quality manager. Our stock has risen significantly in recent years and, whilst we may be a small club, we are very stable financially which in itself will be a major attraction in the coming years. I rather suspect a bigger problem will be chosing between the managers who apply, should the position ever become vacant.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm

are you trying to get us into the Conference !

some people are managers , some people are assistants.

Sammy is a manager.

Mark is an assistant (he tried being manager at Halifax I think and it went pearshaped)

Jim Bentley is just learning his trade

We have had similar starts in 2008/09 and 2009/10 and put things right.

I think we have to get behind the team and Sammy on Tuesday against Bury and the people who go to Bradford on Saturday and then 4 or even 6 points will make things look different.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby ezz » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:38 pm

It's funny how you see gobsmacked people ridiculing other teams who sack managers yet here we are with some calling for our longstanding successful manager who has done better and better every single season to go. Eventually we either go up or we have a season where we go backwards its inevitable. We've had a bad a start to the season but its still September, these people who call for the managers head so early are just like the donkeys who go to chat on 'talk sport'. Get a grip....we played shite it happens
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:45 pm

DawZi wrote: I just tried pointing out about SM at times when the team go behind he stops talking(motivating) to the players and just sits on the bench and sulks

He's probably sick and tired of telling players about schoolboy errors over and over again time after time, Imagine if you were incharge and pressure was being brought to bear on your position and making you like bad because of it, Do you actually think he'd take any pleasure from seeing that?
You know what I respect Sammy McIlroy a 100 times more than that plank Mark Stimson yesterday, Fancy dressing down your defender like that infront of everybody, most people would of knocked that bald bonce off it's shoulders and rightly so...........................COWARD!!!
HALMA 1983

Postby George Dawes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 pm

in my opinion SM is bringing a lot of this on himself with not learning from mistakes

we lost the midfield yesterday and that midfield selected yesterday was certainly not the strongest available

although i will give credit when it's due SM substitution's are getting better
George Dawes

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Two of the substitutions were forced on us yesterday, the third was an obvious straight swap, we wont go down, or up :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

are you trying to get us into the Conference !

some people are managers , some people are assistants.

Sammy is a manager.

Mark is an assistant (he tried being manager at Halifax I think and it went pearshaped)

Jim Bentley is just learning his trade

We have had similar starts in 2008/09 and 2009/10 and put things right.

I think we have to get behind the team and Sammy on Tuesday against Bury and the people who go to Bradford on Saturday and then 4 or even 6 points will make things look different.

...and that despite him saying that he didn't want a repeat. I just hope that it's not a 2 out of 3 with the 3rd being relegation!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:Honestly, would we be able to attract a better manager? I mean yes he can sulk but still, he pulls it out of the bag. We will have to see. :)

Agreed we may have a slow start every season but since Sammy look over we have not had a bad season which shows how good a manager he is, besides how would Morecambe attract another manager with the quality and experience of sammy?
heysham_mfc

Postby marky » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm going to reproduce here something I've just posted on the Football Forum...

We overachieved last season. However, on the back of that, the board gave Sammy the funds to build what is, on paper, both a large and good quality squad that should be doing so much better than it is. Anything less than a top half finish would be a severe underachievement this season based on the investment made. Long way to go, of course, but I don't think Sammy can afford our poor start to continue right through October as it did last season and hope to still keep his job. This is first season since we became a league club that both the directors and management haven't talked of survival as being the main aim. Indeed, Sammy talked of improving on a 4th place finish or at least matching it. Sadly, Sammy's biggest flaw is the fact it takes him a long time to work out the best system and players to start in that system. One of these days, he won't get lucky with amazing runs.
marky

Postby shrimper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 pm

marky wrote:I'm going to reproduce here something I've just posted on the Football Forum...

We overachieved last season. However, on the back of that, the board gave Sammy the funds to build what is, on paper, both a large and good quality squad that should be doing so much better than it is. Anything less than a top half finish would be a severe underachievement this season based on the investment made. Long way to go, of course, but I don't think Sammy can afford our poor start to continue right through October as it did last season and hope to still keep his job. This is first season since we became a league club that both the directors and management haven't talked of survival as being the main aim. Indeed, Sammy talked of improving on a 4th place finish or at least matching it. Sadly, Sammy's biggest flaw is the fact it takes him a long time to work out the best system and players to start in that system. One of these days, he won't get lucky with amazing runs.

How come the amazing runs have been 'lucky'? You could just as easily say the poor runs have been 'unlucky' and that the amazing runs have actually been the true reflection of our quality and his successful strategies.

I don't agree with everything he does, every selection he makes, every substitution, every player he signs - far from it, we all have our opinions.

But the facts are, still, that he has got us to the highest position ever in our history, each successive season he's been our manager.

Yes, there's more work to be done now and no, we haven't played great so far this season and I agree with you that he has to turn things around pretty quickly and get us moving up the table.

But (and this is more about the start of the thread than your post, Marky) surely his record with us deserves a little more respect than calling for his head right now.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Well put Glen, I wholeheartedly agree.
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:19 pm

FUNDS :!:

love or hate the manager, he has never had any money to spend on players, they are all free or on loan, we do not buy anyone with the odd exception, like duffy, we sold baker for around 5 times our transfer budget, we think we are big shots who should be doing this and that, typical morecambe, i want a pint of bollinger for a pound :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby marky » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:24 pm

shrimper wrote:How come the amazing runs have been 'lucky'? You could just as easily say the poor runs have been 'unlucky' and that the amazing runs have actually been the true reflection of our quality and his successful strategies.

Yes, there's more work to be done now and no, we haven't played great so far this season and I agree with you that he has to turn things around pretty quickly and get us moving up the table.

But (and this is more about the start of the thread than your post, Marky) surely his record with us deserves a little more respect than calling for his head right now.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting the runs themselves have been lucky per se, but our successes last season were, in part, due to a team spirit that I'm not convinced is much to do with Sammy, but in spite of him. Jim Bentley in particular is strong is this area and, whilst I don't believe the team is missing him as a footballer, it is missing him as a leader.

Our squad this time round possesses a quality that we've never had before but it's possibly true that Sammy isn't using that quality and could even be stifling it. Fleming, for example, should be one of the first names on our team sheet, as should, based on early season form, Craig Stanley. I have no doubt that he will get time, but I hope people aren't falling into the trap of believing that he will be able to improve things simply because he has before, because life (and sport) doesn't work like that.

mrpotatohead wrote:FUNDS :!:

love or hate the manager, he has never had any money to spend on players, they are all free or on loan, we do not buy anyone with the odd exception, like duffy, we sold baker for around 5 times our transfer budget, we think we are big shots who should be doing this and that, typical morecambe, i want a pint of bollinger for a pound :lol:

We bought Fleming this time round and he won't have come cheap. However, spending money on buying players is only half of it. Wages are also a large part of a player budget and with the likes of Capaldi, Scott, McCready, etc at our club (along with a large squad), we must have a larger player wage spend than a number of our peers.
marky

Postby ezz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 am

Think the weakness has been found in previous posts. We've improved the quality of the squad and starting 11 but we've lost two leaders. This has shown in the last 15mins of every game we've played this season except Coventry. Jimbo will probably be back in the starting 11, not that it means were going to win but we should at least have our focus for the whole match.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby seasonsinthesun » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 am

It's too late now...but what a mistake by Sammy to allow Artell to leave, and I was also a fan of Wayne,who didn't score enough that's true, but could make goals for others.How we miss that as well.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:12 am

Respect? Just remind me again how much respect the club showed towards Jim Harvey following his heart attack? Like it or not this BUSINESS is driven by results on the pitch. The huge amounts of investment the board have made now mean results matter more than ever. Gone of the days of being a nice little family club. The death of which came with the removal of the Family Ticket this season, now that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. It also demonstrates the lack of respect being shown to your average match day punter, like I said it's big business now.

So like it or not a few awful performance like that might have the members of the board worrying a little more about their investments. Your die hards, like myself, will come every week however those that turn up looking for a day out of entertainment may not.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion