Pompey 3 M'cmbe 3 Barkhuizen, Goodall, Fleming PLAYER THREAD

Re: Pompey 3 M'cmbe 3 Barkhuizen, Goodall, Fleming PLAYER TH

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:42 pm

I am sure Solent Shrimp will fill us in with some, when he returns from the long journey ;)

Highlights
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -morecambe
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Freez » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 am

That was a thrilling game of end to end football that I was glad I attended.
Scintillating attacking from both sides, some poor defending from both sides.
For the game to be so exciting the defending is going to be at times at fault should you choose to see it that way, however both sides really went for it.
Portsmouth on their forum are concerned about the position of three nil down but giving credit to us for our performance and thrilled with the comeback.
From our part, we did concede 16 corners, which shows that we did plenty of stout defending, the sheer weight of attacks did pay off in the end, but in general our play was pretty good and we were like a knife through butter in the first period.
Dugdale completed his first 90 minutes, isn't fully match fit and received a head injury to boot which would normally have seen him subbed. Beeley and Willo both put a serious shift in as did Paz.
Goodall couldn't last more than 50 minutes before his ankle went and he was subbed, Barks was out on his feet as was Miller after 65minutes as they have not played with that much intensity for months and both ran themselves into the ground, Devitt lasted the whole game but should have been subbed but carried on as a virtual passenger for the last twenty as we had no subs left.
The bigger picture is we drew at Portsmouth, where we have previously never even scored, and Pompey hadn't yet conceded.
Over 16,000 there to cheer them on, they were in the FA Cup Final five years ago!!!

People are entitled to their opinion on here, and rightly so, just as I'm allowed to say that it was a great point earned in a great game and anyone who was there would agree, the rest of you should be having a word with yourselves about being so bloody negative and and nitpicking based on your "interpretations" of what you think you heard.

Onwards and upwards gentlemen, remember, we didn't lose!! :D
Finally, we will play a lot worse than that and win this season, but more games like that and perhaps we could attract more than 1100 of us on Tuesday night, which would be nice.
Keep the faith! ;)
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby SolentShrimp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:31 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the match.
Superb in the 1st half, and 3 could easily have been 6.
All good goals, and even better they were scored right in front of us, and not 120 yards away.
When Fleming got the 3rd, there was a fair old exodus of Pompey fans, and a glorious chorus of "Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio..." from behind where I was sat.
It was like being in a dream now.

Didn't deserve to concede before the break.

I don't think Pompey looked any better for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. They were well contained, even though they had practically all of the ball.
And then their 2nd goal. Poor defending, but I thinks Roberts' shot could easily have gone the other side of the post, and things could have ended differently.

Pompey now had the foot on the peddle, they had an extra player with the crowd, and looked to have an extra player on the pitch too.

The Pompey sending off was a bit harsh.
But instead of Morecambe capitalising on it, it was Pompey who upped a gear, and they continued to dominate the possession, upped the tempo, and their threat.

6 minutes of added time might have seemed harsh, but there were quite a few stoppages to consider.
The equaliser was a belter, and while disappointing, it was looking as though it was all part of the script.
The Pompey crowd went bonkers and thought they'd just scored a last gasp winner in a vital match, and not jammed an equaliser against some northern pub team in the last minute of added time!

Excellent game, super atmosphere. 5 of the goals scored right in front of us, slightly harsh result, but much better than many had hoped for, me included.

And I didn't have far to go home. :D
We all have Human Rights, but they come with Human Responsibilities. Ignore the latter and you risk losing the rights to the former.

People who campaign for equality and freedom of speech amaze me. Disagree with them, and you'll be shouted down.
SolentShrimp

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:04 am

Christies Child wrote:
What needs to be done...needs to be done for the greater good. If that means dropping players who have served us well to date but are now responsible for poor or non existing marking when crosses come into our box, then so be it. Neither Paz or Ryan can escape criticism asxboth have allowed players to get into goal scoring positions too often that have resulted in a goal.

So who would your preference be?

I think we've looked solid defensively this season, the issue seems to be defending set pieces and crosses, which is always going to be an issue when we only have two tall centre backs and Kevin Ellison in the team. The solution to this would be to bring in a third centre back, because, at this level, no centre back is going to be clearing 100% of the crossed 100% of the time. However, to do so compromises the midfield.

Saying replace one defender for another is a massively simplistic way of looking at it - if we are struggling with crosses and set pieces, we need to be working out how we stop crosses ever making it to the box and ensure we don't give away cheap free kicks in dangerous areas and do everything we can to avoid giving away corners.
morecambegeek

Postby Jettyson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:38 am

As I said on the Wycombe thread,pace is the key and we have it in abundance.Put the ball in the channels rather than "lump it to Kev" and the goals will come.
Worked yesterday and will work again, Kev off the bench to shore it up would have been priceless yesterday but hey ho.
Jettyson

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:12 am

:lol:

I see Solent Shrimp contributed to that
marky No.1

Postby outsider » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Not been going 30/40 years like some on here, so I've not seen the heady days of total football that we played in the northern counties or northern prem, infront of 25 men and a dog. But what I have seen is a team of league 2 Morecambe players run themselves into the ground in one of the most enthralling games I've seen in the past few years. Little Morecambe with there 69 mental fan's out played and at times out sung, former premier league team and FA Cup winners Portsmouth and there 16,000 strong backing.
At the end of the game our players dropped to the floor in deflated exhaustion. To say I was gutted is an understatement but it was shared with pride that the team I support had given there all for the cause and badge on the shirt. Yes at time's it was the Alimo in the 2nd half, the same it was the other way in the 1st.
We saw the lads on the way back and atleast 5 got of the bus limping, they all looked gutted. As we walked away chatting to a pompy fan he said he thought they were playing Bournmouth in the 1st half :lol:
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Pablo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Freez wrote:That was a thrilling game of end to end football that I was glad I attended.
For the game to be so exciting the defending is going to be at times at fault should you choose to see it that way, however both sides really went for it.
Portsmouth on their forum are concerned about the position of three nil down but giving credit to us for our performance and thrilled with the comeback.
From our part, we did concede 16 corners, which shows that we did plenty of stout defending, the sheer weight of attacks did pay off in the end, but in general our play was pretty good and we were like a knife through butter in the first period.
Dugdale completed his first 90 minutes, isn't fully match fit and received a head injury to boot which would normally have seen him subbed. Beeley and Willo both put a serious shift in as did Paz.
Goodall couldn't last more than 50 minutes before his ankle went and he was subbed, Barks was out on his feet as was Miller after 65minutes as they have not played with that much intensity for months and both ran themselves into the ground, Devitt lasted the whole game but should have been subbed but carried on as a virtual passenger for the last twenty as we had no subs left.
The bigger picture is we drew at Portsmouth, where we have previously never even scored, and Pompey hadn't yet conceded.
Over 16,000 there to cheer them on, they were in the FA Cup Final five years ago!!!

People are entitled to their opinion on here, and rightly so, just as I'm allowed to say that it was a great point earned in a great game and anyone who was there would agree, the rest of you should be having a word with yourselves about being so bloody negative and and nitpicking based on your "interpretations" of what you think you heard.

Onwards and upwards gentlemen, remember, we didn't lose!! :D
Finally, we will play a lot worse than that and win this season, but more games like that and perhaps we could attract more than 1100 of us on Tuesday night, which would be nice.
Keep the faith! ;)

well worth the 590 mile round trip. Great game great fans and great goals. Didn't think we were gonna get anything out of the game beforehand so to get a point was ok.
Those who weren't there, we didn't throw away 2 points. The lads were knackered and gave everything they could.
Yes, we will play worse and win. The accy game proves that.
Will see you all at Yeovil 8-)
Up the football league we go
Pablo

Location: At the end of the yellow brick road with a set of crutches

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:30 pm

How some of the people who went to the game saw it:

marky No.1 wrote:A game of 2 halves... ...with Pompey... ...commending us on how we battered them in the 1st half.
Shame we couldn't hang on, Paz and Beeley played their hearts out, but if they have no forward line to release the ball to and the alamo coming at you , what do you expect

Fabulous entertainment

quinny wrote:Not sure if I said we were diabolical... ...I remember saying we were sensational in the first half.

the lads were dead on their feet because they had given their all ...this was a fantastic result overall

Overall though it would be great to look at the positives from the game because there really were a lot of them.

I think when everyone is fit with football like I saw today we will cause a few upsets and score plenty of goals along the way.

Freez wrote:That was a thrilling game of end to end football...
...both sides really went for it.
Portsmouth... ...giving credit to us for our performance....
we did concede 16 corners, which shows that we did plenty of stout defending, the sheer weight of attacks did pay off in the end, but in general our play was pretty good and we were like a knife through butter in the first period.

it was a great point earned in a great game and anyone who was there would agree

we will play a lot worse than that and win this season,

SolentShrimp wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the match.
Superb in the 1st half, and 3 could easily have been 6.
All good goals

Excellent game, super atmosphere.

outsider wrote:what I have seen is a team of league 2 Morecambe players run themselves into the ground in one of the most enthralling games I've seen in the past few years.

Little Morecambe... ...out played and at times out sung, former premier league team and FA Cup winners Portsmouth and there 16,000 strong backing.

At the end of the game our players dropped to the floor in deflated exhaustion.

To say I was gutted is an understatement but it was shared with pride that the team I support had given there all for the cause and badge on the shirt. Yes at time's it was the Alimo in the 2nd half, the same it was the other way in the 1st.

We saw the lads on the way back and at least 5 got of the bus limping, they all looked gutted. As we walked away chatting to a pompy fan he said he thought they were playing Bournmouth in the 1st half

Pablo wrote:Those who weren't there, we didn't throw away 2 points. The lads were knackered and gave everything they could.
we will play worse and win.

How some of the people who didn't go to the game saw it:

Blackpool Shrimp wrote:...diabolical 2nd half

Two points dropped... Don't care what anyone says

Christies Child wrote:No excuses. We are crap at defending balls into the box and this is a common problem that has let us down season after season. Until we sort the defence out we will continue to struggle this season. Doesn't sound as though Dugdale made any difference to our shambolic defence. Have to agree with Blackpool who is only commenting on Quinny's observations.....who I have total respect for and reports it as he sees it.

And they wonder why they get jumped upon? :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:38 pm

I never can understand anyone criticising a match they never attended, these two are serial offenders.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:34 pm

To those of us who didn't get to Fratton Park it sounds very much like the games a few years ago at home to Rochdale and Rotherham. In both of those we played superbly to establish 3 - 0 leads but in both matches we were pegged back to draw 3-3 and could easily have lost both.

A draw was more than most expected beforehand so take it and move on.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:01 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:I never can understand anyone criticising a match they never attended, these two are serial offenders.

What did I post that was totally wrong :?: :?: :?:

Our defense has been consistently poor and one only has to look at the goals against column last season to see what I mean. We can't defend dead balls kicks or corners lofted into the middle of our box and if you can't see that then I suggest you need a trip ASAP to Specsavers.

However of the Channel 5 highlights I saw I have to say that Tom Barkhuizen's goal was sheer class and I'm amazed that few if any SVers haven't made more out of it 'cause we've needed somebody to run at a defence with the ball and have the confidence to take the goalkeeper on rather than pass to a colleague which for me is the easy option. I think it just possible that we have got ourselves a match winner in Tom and when Shaun recovers his confidence with a couple of goals we could move up the table assuming that our defence gets itself sorted.

Maybe the good times are just around the corner after all.... :D :D :D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Christies Child wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:I never can understand anyone criticising a match they never attended, these two are serial offenders.

What did I post that was totally wrong :?: :?: :?:

Our defense has been consistently poor and one only has to look at the goals against column last season to see what I mean. We can't defend dead balls kicks or corners lofted into the middle of our box and if you can't see that then I suggest you need a trip ASAP to Specsavers.

However of the Channel 5 highlights I saw I have to say that Tom Barkhuizen's goal was sheer class and I'm amazed that few if any SVers haven't made more out of it 'cause we've needed somebody to run at a defence with the ball and have the confidence to take the goalkeeper on rather than pass to a colleague which for me is the easy option. I think it just possible that we have got ourselves a match winner in Tom and when Shaun recovers his confidence with a couple of goals we could move up the table assuming that our defence gets itself sorted.

Maybe the good times are just around the corner after all.... :D :D :D

In your pique of righteous indignation you've forgotten to reply to any of the questions or points in my response to yours. Pretty rude.
morecambegeek

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Looks as though Geek and I agree about not being able to defend dead ball situations, as well as agreeing the need to cut out the crosses at source.

:o :o :o
Christies Child

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:31 pm

FFS, you didn't answer it again.
morecambegeek

Postby Jettyson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm

I agree with CC re Tom Bs goal; class.
Looks a very direct and confident player who looks capable of causing mayhem if the given the ball early and allowed to run like when he ran at York to set up little Jack when on loan last season.
Good spot, Jimbo.
Jettyson

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:47 pm

:lol: .neil never answers if hes wrong, do you neil?
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:51 pm

morecambegeek wrote:FFS, you didn't answer it again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Calm down youngster...

As I said before, both Paz and Ryan are guilty of poor marking and each have been responsible for allowing the opposition to score from crosses into the box....both this and last season.

Their 3rd yesterday was the result of their wide man having all the time and space to cross into the box where the goalscorer was able to put himself between 2 defenders and score the equalizer. The wide man should have been marked but there was no Morecambe player even close enough to affect the outcome.

And if you dispute what I'm saying I suggest you take a close look at the highlights.

And mrp where am I wrong.... :?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:53 pm

:roll:

I always say, if you can't win an argument, then confuse them with bullshit :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:59 pm

George Dawes wrote::roll:

I always say, if you can't win an argument, then confuse them with bullshit :lol:

...and that coming from someone who knows more than most about it.... ;)
Christies Child

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:17 pm

i wasn,t there so i cannot comment, but jim said on radio lancashire that his players were dead on their feet after 70 minutes because his squad is stretched, so maybe the defence were tired,haha, he also said he thought its harder to play against 10 men than 11,this could be a clever ploy to try and get other managers to think ''i know,lets comfuse jim by putting 10 men on!''
mrpotatohead

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Christies Child wrote: Tom Barkhuizen's goal was sheer class and I'm amazed that few if any SVers haven't made more out of it

marky No.1 wrote:
Our 1st goal was a brilliant move

It wasn't the only time we broke through and could have had 3 more. When we were 3.0 up Wildig players a sublime chip that left the keeper stranded as it floated over his head towards the top corner.. standing behind we were willing it in but it hit the crosspiece..

Made more chances in 45 minutes than we did for weeks at stages of last season, when I recall many saying they would rather watch an entertaining game and lose rather than a 0.0
marky No.1

Postby morecambegeek » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Christies Child wrote:

As I said before, both Paz and Ryan are guilty of poor marking and each have been responsible for allowing the opposition to score from crosses into the box....both this and last season.

Their 3rd yesterday was the result of their wide man having all the time and space to cross into the box where the goalscorer was able to put himself between 2 defenders and score the equalizer. The wide man should have been marked but there was no Morecambe player even close enough to affect the outcome.

And if you dispute what I'm saying I suggest you take a close look at the highlights.

Firstly, please dont patronise me.

I asked which of Edwards and Parrish you would drop. Can you please answer the question, or explain why you wont answer it.

Edwards wasnt on the pitch for the equaliser yesterday, so he cant take the blame for that one. It loomed to come from a failure to track the portsmouth player in midfield - looked like Molynuex lost the man.

As for set pieces, were there are several attackers in our box, how can our centre backs be expected to be expected to mark any more than one each.

Im not saying they parrish and edwards couldnt have cleared the goals we conceded, what I am saying is that players at this level will never clear 100% of the balls crossed into the box.

Now kindly let me know which you want dropped, or confirm youre happy for either to be dropped.

Thank you.
morecambegeek

Postby Kendalshrimp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Christies Child wrote:

So what your saying is CC Ryan and Paz aren't upto it or even dugdale now ? Looked to be his man for the 3rd yesterday ! Stop being so negative..if our forwards against hartlepool and Wycombe had put away their chances then conceding the goals we did wouldn't of been as costly. Ryan an Paz were superb last season in defence getting a record of clean sheets so I've no doubt they'll re discover the form they did last year. We're not getting hammered conceding all kinds every game and we won't keep clean sheets every week either so if we put away our chances that's the most important thing as were guna concede against a lot teams with the quality of some of the strike forces in this division !
Kendalshrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion