Thankful for the directors we have

Re: Thankful for the directors we have

Postby steve mfc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 pm

From the Southport forum, after their game with Barrow.

Atrocious rubbish and freezing cold. Must have been less than 1000 there.

What was going on first half? It was as if 0-0 was sufficient!

Players turfed out on loan then brought back in from the cold to play. McGinn, RME, Flynn, Simm etc etc. Happened to often this season, must disrupt the player and squad. Last week McGinn was never coming back, this week he's back in the team.

Liam doesnt know his best team. Tactically rubbish tonight. Such a shame

Trying to be positive. Relegation looms

Even the "regulars" cannot defend the tactics tonight

Sounds familiar, the fans always know best :lol:
steve mfc

Postby LA1Shrimp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Duffman like I said read my earlier posts re Aley. He was a trialist at southport and was successful in gaining s place as a scholar, he made a few apps in the first team before being signed by Blackburn after a succesful trial, whilst an academy player at southport hence the fee.
LA1Shrimp

Postby Posh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:44 pm

nik wrote:Jesus I wish people would get over Southports scout/manager, Duffy and Baker have both done well following being there. How do you know the manager/scout was responsible for going out scouting them and then signing them, they could have both been trialists, agent finds, or like most of Southports players players released from Merseyside/Manc premier league clubs trying their luck.

Nik, I like the cut of your jib sir and welcome to Shrimpsvoices.

However I fervently disagree about Liam Watson. Firstly no one is suggesting getting him in as manager. While he's done well at Southport and Burscough with no budget except what he makes of transfers he's no League manager. By all accounts he's happy part-time.

The reality is though he's one of very few North West managers who loves going out scouting and picking talent (Coley's another). And doing it well.

Contrary to what your saying Duffy was brought in from Prescot Cables; Carl Baker from Vauxhall Motors (at a time when life wasn't too good for Bakes); Craig Noone was at Skem for two years before Watson brought him through at Burscough and then Southport; and obviously Zac Aley. Not bad for a bloke with a full-time job at a mental hospital. The argument is how well would he do as a part-time scout?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby LA1Shrimp » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks for the welcome Posh.

I dont disagree that Liam has done a cracking job with regards development players at Southport, I do not however follow the messiah status appointed to him by some on here.

He does an excellent job based on the time he has to complete his work etc, however he is doing no more than should be expected of a coach at this level. He will be given tips etc on who is playing well in his locality and prem reserve players being released or up for loan. He follows these up and watches them in person.

You have to assume based on the amount of agent fees we pay, we employ a scouting agency or agent to find players, which is a recruitment policy proved to be hazardous throughout league football.
LA1Shrimp

Postby Pobble » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 am

Shrimpy wrote:
our youth set up is very limited due to the financial implications of a proper academy/scholar system, which with new premier league proposals lower league academies will disappear anyway. Our youth teams are basically the players that weren't selected at Premier league, championship, lg 1 or 2 level, so realistically if your 16 and not attached to a top level club your not going to make it at any level as a pro. In effect if your not at a championship or prem club your going to struggle to make it as a pro.

Completely agree nik which is why we need to place less emphasis on setting up our own youth system which people seem to clamour for on here and instead concentrate our efforts in picking up any players in their late teens, early 20's we feel could do a job for us at League 2 level when they are released by the local Premier League and Championship clubs.

Of course this would mean someone at the club (preferably the manager) would need to have an in depth knowledge of all the local Premier League and Championship youth teams so we know which ones to target when they become available. I doubt our current manager has this knowledge.

I think the words "knowledge" and "McIlroy" don`t have any connection whatsoever.
Pobble

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Pobble wrote:I think the words "knowledge" and "McIlroy" don`t have any connection whatsoever.

And Pobble is a one trick pony
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Give Pobble credit Keith
He's served us well thus far :cry:
HALMA 1983

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:19 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:Give Pobble credit Keith

I'd agree... if moaning was an Olympic sport! Then we'd have something to look forward to this summer!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Keith wrote:

I'd agree... if moaning was an Olympic sport! Then we'd have something to look forward to this summer!

I don't know who this guy is but for me he's not been far off the mark for a good while, he's certainly got Sammy's number!
HALMA 1983

Postby broadwayshrimp » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Keith wrote:I'd agree... if moaning was an Olympic sport! Then we'd have something to look forward to this summer!

or next summer even :lol:
broadwayshrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:29 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:
Keith wrote:

I don't know who this guy is but for me he's not been far off the mark for a good while, he's certainly got Sammy's number!

If a Man Utd "fan" had begun moaning about Alex Ferguson, and carried on relentlessly for years, eventually he'd be able to say "I told you so". Pobble wants us to lose so that he can be right. If we win, he hides, if we lose he gloats. Credit? Nah. There are Lancaster City fans who take less delight out of a Morecambe defeat than Pobble.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:35 pm

But you forget, he's just as big a morecambe supporter as the next :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:35 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:
Keith wrote:

It could be anyone on here..even spudnut or bare ben even :shock:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby ezz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Its not bare ben, cant be potatohead.....thats you
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:37 pm

name calling is not big or clever shrimpsave , you know i am not called spudnut, i never call anyone names, so please do not do it to me, i will not be bullied, so please say sorry :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:name calling is not big or clever shrimpsave , you know i am not called spudnut, i never call anyone names, so please do not do it to me, i will not be bullied, so please say sorry :roll:

sorry spuddy :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:49 pm

a song for ezz..enjoy whlle it lasts :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVJnMj2oKfo
shrimpnsave

Postby mellow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:51 am

Only just noticed this thread.

Don't worry LA1shrimp, Liam Watson won't be taking over anytime soon, thankfully.

Zac came through our youth system, Liam arranged his trial at Blackburn and then sold him on.

He's also been heavily responsible for the nurturing of baker, Duffy, and Noone.

Kissock will go for big money in the summer - you could have had him for free but you're not even very good at tapping players up nowadays!

In ledsham we have a better player than kissock, and come the summer we'll be recruiting more of the players you should be looking at.

We do a lot of scouting because we have to as Charlie is a terrible chairman to work for and releases no funds.

I find it incredible that other managers don't get out and watch players themselves - Liam does it, so does coley. You see the few that do at non league games all the time. You never see anyone from morecambe...
mellow

Postby Pobble » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Keith wrote:
Pobble wrote:I think the words "knowledge" and "McIlroy" don`t have any connection whatsoever.

And Pobble is a one trick pony

Thats better than no tricks at all.!!
Pobble

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Enlighten us some more oh great one! 8-)
HALMA 1983

Postby Posh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks Mellow. Liam Watson and John Coleman's record of finding players on no budget stands the closest scrutiny but its good to have it confirmed by one who really knows. Alongside the excellent John Still, these managers help their teams to truly punch above their weight.

Read this article about half way down and tell me that you wouldn't want a manager like this. He explains the formula and it needs someone special to do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher ... genha.html

Time and time again he talked about the type of person who is fit to be called a Dagger. It is obviously something that matters to him a great deal.

"No one comes to this club unless they are a Dagger," he explained. "It is about hard work and about being 100% behind what you do.

"We're Daggers, we always keep going, nothing fazes us, nothing stops us."

Still had met numerous players down the years that he quickly realised would not be right for the club. They talked too much about money and not enough about ambition and self-improvement.

Goalkeeper Roberts added: "The manager and his team watch players eight or nine times to make sure they are a Dagger.

"We have not got the biggest fanbase so we have to believe in each other and that is what Still seems to get out of everybody."

The Daggers missed out on last season's play-offs by one point and lost seven influential players during the summer months.

Nobody expected much this campaign but they had not reckoned on the rebuilding job done by Still, who blended a series of loan signings with some shrewd finds from non-league.

Danny Green, for example, scored the Daggers second goal at Wembley after joining from Bishop's Stortford last July.

"It is all about hard work, about getting out in the car and watching games and it is amazing what you can achieve when no one is worried about taking the credit," added Still.

Still has found, polished and sold numerous players from non-league football over the years, including Soloman Taiwo, Tresor Kandol and Craig Mackail-Smith.

Paul Benson, another Wembley goalscorer, was signed in 2005 from White Ensign, who play in the Essex Intermediate League, 11 levels below League One.

Benson is part of Dagenham's experienced spine, along with keeper Roberts, defender Mark Arber and midfielder Peter Gain.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 pm

steve mfc wrote:
goneshrimping wrote:
jesus I wish people would stop going on about Southports scout/manager???

Why - his budget is 5k a week on a part time basis. He works part time and works tirelessly. That wouldn't even get you our back 4.

We could go on about Coleman instead, even Graham Turner at Chesterfield as he got Hereford up using purely the loan market!

There is no positives to McIlroys legacy I'm afraid. I can't think of one good reason why he should stay unfortunately.

Promotion to the football league, not a bad legacy i would say.

That's part of the history, not part of the legacy. History being the intangible memories and legacy being the stuff a new man or someone else can pick up and run with. We need to build a formulaic structure that means we have a football club hear for my kids to support, not one that goes back to the Unibond if the directors pull out.

The longer we persist with McIlroy the deeper the problems become, and as I've mentioned before in earlier posted regarding him he needs to either work harder and show us a plan going forward or walk whilst the history books say he's the man that led Morecambe to the Football League, not the man who overspent in one season and relegated a club with a wage bill of a League One club.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:33 pm

do not refer to our team boss by using his surname, that is rude, call him sammy, or mr mcilroy, he took us into the football league and deserves a civil adressing when discussed, not rudeness.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby steve mfc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 pm

Well if we go of your interpretation of what a legacy is " legacy being the stuff a new man or someone else can pick up and run with " then that surely applies to being in the football league, that's what you call a legacy.

As to us having a budget of a league one club well that's just speculation.
steve mfc

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm

a
Last edited by SupermarketShrimp on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SupermarketShrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion