Club appeals to fans...

Re: Club appeals to fans...

Postby USA Shrimp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm

morecambe mick wrote:USA, with the one I'm thinking about the quiet word has been tried, twice by myself and I know at least once by another member on here.

Tried and doesn't work, this person is VERY loud I'm surprised you haven't heard him yourself over there. :shock:

Football fans have always been vociferous, long may that continue but in the right circumstances.

Supportive.

Well in that case perhaps a good kicking would get the message across :twisted:

A good kicking of a football, of course, demonstrating the tactics Sammy is trying to put in place. I would never advocate violence, you understand. :roll:

Probably best just to ignore them and eventually they go away - as hard as it might be.
USA Shrimp

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 pm

I think it would be a really powerfull statement if a decent sized group of fans went into the paddock next home match and sang over the abusive fan. however like alot of good ideas discussed on here before, it takes someone to make the initial move and I can't see in happening. good idea though.
North Stand Shrimp

Postby marky » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:11 pm

I had something put to me earlier that struck a cord. Whilst this appeal is all well and good, wouldn't it be more useful to appeal to the 600 people who, for whatever reason, aren't coming to watch us at present? I don't include people like myself, Keith, etc but surely it's more important to win those people back? Aren't they the people who aren't 'true supporters'? There are obviously major financial issues at present, but there will still be those who will only come when we're doing well. Much as you may hate those who shout 'abuse' (and that term can be use to cover a multitude of things and what one thinks is, another thinks isn't), they still come each week and why? Because they are, like it or not, Morecambe supporters. Now we have, as a club, changed massively even since I started watching us in the early 90s. We are a league club and that is wonderful. BUT the club needs the money that the stayaways bring and for that to happen we need to provide an incentive. I can think of no greater one than stringing a few wins together and that's why it's so important.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Posh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm still staggered that 2 people out of a crowd of 1,970 odd can dictate the agenda in this way. The North Stand was magnificent on Saturday, particularly in light of the fact there was little to shout about for an hour, yet a couple of idiots could cause the collapse of the club as we know it, if this thread is accurate. That's utterly farcical.

If the belief is that their abuse is disproportionate then deal with it by discussing it with them or offering to refund their season tickets. Alternatively go on a winning run. If neither then they'll continue and the management and directors will be adversely offended. These clearly aren't reasoned rational people so why a polite plea in the paper rather than a direct plea at the match. If I was sat next to them I'd talk to them about it but I imagine instead it's put off a few people from going to games. That damages revenues and our club. So please, sort it out.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:56 pm

Totally agree with Posh, a far better response would be to say how great the North Stand sounded, rather than focus on the negative couple.

I like the idea of sponsorship of a forth-coming match, anyone know how much sponsorship is?

Match Sponsored by Sammy Mac's Barmy Army then get the main stand rocking, isn't that the best way to drown out the moaners? They may even join in being positive for once!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 am

Jim has something to say as well
http://www.thelancasterandmorecambeciti ... ey_column/

Keith, I had the pdf copy of the sponsorship leaflet at one time but it looks like I've deleted it. I'm sure one of us will find someone to ask tonight if it doesn't get answered before then.

Talking of spnsorship, there's £160 in the pot towards sponsoring a player.
Phoenix

Postby shrimper » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:39 am

I don't know if anyone has the answer to this issue but I do think it's good to debate it, so I'm glad Rod said what he did (unprompted by the paper, by the way).

The 'abuse' I heard wasn't swearing but it was very pointed, nasty and directed at individual players and the manager. It was within earshot of Sammy (sorry 'McIlroy!') and was virtually continuous. Comments were of the 'if that's the best you can do, get out of our club' variety.

I think what I was getting at was that people were sitting there and just letting the couple of mouths do what they were doing unchallenged. Perhaps they didn't want to get involved in a row, perhaps they thought the blokes had paid their money and were entitled to their opinion. Maybe they thought others around actually agreed with the comments and were worried about givin a different view, I don't know.

Had I not been in the position I am I would have liked to have had a 'quiet word' - and that is all I'm talking about, I don't see the point in having a slanging match if something more measured might work better.
If it didn't work then, fair enough, you've tried and if the person/people carry on then, in my view, others with a different attitude would be within their rights to make direct, personal comments about the 'shouter's' behaviour.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:20 am

I think it is making a mountain out of a molehill really.

I heard one voice from the main stand (the guy who shouts "get back in your box" in a very raucous voice to away managers) shout "pull your finger out Drummond" after a poor pass that went over the byline.

I heard no booing at half time despite the awful first half and the second half performance resulted in good applause at the end.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Phoenix » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:27 am

I think it is making a mountain out of a molehill really.

Maybe, maybe not. If you're subscribed to google alerts looking for "morecambe" you'll have noticed Rod's message is being repeated around various football & news web sites.

Anything that goes on our official site is often automatically highlighted and picked up by these sites, a sort of automated molehill spotter that piles on the earth to produce a mountain.
Phoenix

Postby redbull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 pm

I would firstly like to apologise for VERBALLY venting my anger in the main stand Saturday, on reflection I was a bit OTT but I did not use any foul language but I can not turn the clock back all I can do is say *******SORRY***** Apology over lets get down to WHY.
First 60 mins
Twissy from the start seemed to have no interest or commitment at all
(ANOTHER GAME OVER AND AGAIN CLEAN SHORTS).
Great servant but time to let go.
Artell all he did was hoof the ball past midfield hoping that O’Carroll and Howe would connect to it. He then would look round, shrug his shoulders as if to say.” what else could I do.
Gary looked like a headless chicken running after the ball not with the ball. By the way great fan of his.Last season we played with good width but really did not have in the later end of the season the fire power up front. We now have what I think could be a very good strike force with O’Carroll ,Howe and playing Blinks off the bench and yet Sammy had then playing the long ball. We have never been good at that. We play a lot better football with the ball at our feet and we were VERY VERY poor and could not string passes together I think we play a lot better when play in the ball through midfield. Staners and Wayney came off the bench and we looked a completely different out fit. (Personally hope Staners stays).
I even saw a couple of the directors shaking there head and after reading all the comments on this topic it seems I was not on my own. If you would have seen the hand jester Sammy made after getting a little bit of stick during the Shrews game to people in the main stand (he made a talking jester with his hand then sliced his hand across his throat). That was missed Rod… I believe 95% of the time we in the stand have a good bit of friendly banter and constructive criticism.

NOW WITH EVERYTHING OFF MY CHEST I FEEL A LOT BETTER SHOULD HAVE JOINED THIS FORUM ALONG TIME AGO ITS VERY THEROPUDIC .
WILL SUFFER IN SILENCE IN THE FUTURE.
redbull

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 pm

[EDIT] Keep it above being personal Ben. This is an open forum. Please note that other messages after this one will be dumped in a few seconds, who ever they are defending/attacking.

Keith
Bare Ben

Postby wijit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:32 pm

The bloke has had the decency to come on here and apologise. I don't think there's any point discussing whther that apology is enough or not. If he can be more diplomatic in future then surely that is just as good as speaking to everybody individually?
wijit

Postby redbull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 pm

[EDITED]I was kind a hoping the fans , management and players and who ever else we could mention would have access as like all of us to the forum.
redbull

Postby Christies Child » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Time me thinks to put this one to bed.

The important thing is for us all to get behind the lads on the field.

We are after all, in this together as a family.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby wijit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Christies Child wrote:Time me thinks to put this one to bed.

The important thing is for us all to get behind the lads on the field.

We are after all, in this together as a family.

Absolutely. Perhaps a moderator might see fit to lock this and consign it to history?
wijit

Postby marky » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 pm

redbull wrote:[color=#800000]Ps THANKS MARKY YOU OBVIOUSLY GIVE PEOPLE A SECOND CHANCE…..

A few would have you think otherwise ;)
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:10 pm

wijit wrote:Absolutely. Perhaps a moderator might see fit to lock this and consign it to history?

Yup, just had to tidy up first :?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion