Ze Germanz vs Same Old England ?

Re: Ze Germanz vs Same Old England ?

Postby HALMA 1983 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 am

:lol: I wondered how long it would take and it wasn't long :D
HALMA 1983

Postby The Marksman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:26 pm

shrimper wrote:Would Schweinsteiger keep Lampard out of the Chelsea side? Would Klose get picked ahead of Rooney for ManU, Mertesacker ahead of Terry?

1) Yes.
2) They'd probably play together - Rooney on the left, Klose in the middle.
3) Oh my God yes.

There were very few of the England players in that line up I'd rather have in my side than their German equivalents. Maybe Ashley Cole instead of Boateng.
The Marksman

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:47 pm

and if Muller ever wanted to come over to Liverpool I wouldn't stop him

However it's strange that Klose & Podolski can't get a game at their clubs and have only scored about 5 goals between them this season.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby scar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Just watched the news of the lame England team returning back to the UK and it struck me that they all had their wives/girlfriends and kids with them.

I was under the impression Capello had advised them to all stay away, after all they're away working. Would your boss pay for your family to come out with you? Probably not and just how much of a distraction were they (wags)?
scar

Postby Suzi Quatro » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:11 pm

The problems with The England Team is down to the fact that all the players are in it for themselves, careers and the money as oppose to the love of the game. I am appalled to hear complaints about too many restrictions from some players when in reality they spnd vast amounts of time on the booze including the night before the match, so I have been told. One has to question whether there has been any match fixing where our players fail to score goals for a backhander and some extra income. It was certainly the case seemingly in previous world cups.
We need to eradciate this shower of loosers and instead open up our search for the cream of football. We need to think hard before we appoint a new Manager. I would suggest maybe a women manager who might be able to engage with the team and resonate positively with the players--I am being serious. Times have changed and we need to move football and job opportunities into the 21st Century as oppose to assuming the role of Manager is only open to males.
Suzi Quatro

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:09 pm

suzie, if you are single, i suggest you pm darrenlock and get it on :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby George Dawes » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:25 am

Suzi Quatro wrote:The problems with The England Team is down to the fact that all the players are in it for themselves, careers and the money as oppose to the love of the game. I am appalled to hear complaints about too many restrictions from some players when in reality they spnd vast amounts of time on the booze including the night before the match, so I have been told. One has to question whether there has been any match fixing where our players fail to score goals for a backhander and some extra income. It was certainly the case seemingly in previous world cups.
We need to eradciate this shower of loosers and instead open up our search for the cream of football. We need to think hard before we appoint a new Manager. I would suggest maybe a women manager who might be able to engage with the team and resonate positively with the players--I am being serious. Times have changed and we need to move football and job opportunities into the 21st Century as oppose to assuming the role of Manager is only open to males.

Capeelo did say i allowed them one bottle of beer with a meal the night before..

but Phil Thompson said Liverpool playing away in europe in the 70s early 80s when they were successful use to have a proper night out before the match(team bonding), it helped them relax it helped them play better football and win things 8-)
George Dawes

Postby scar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 am

Suzi Quatro wrote:Times have changed and we need to move football and job opportunities into the 21st Century as oppose to assuming the role of Manager is only open to males.

I'd be really interested to know who your candidates would be for the England Managers position would be! Lilly Allen perhaps? :roll:

I'm not against females managing football teams, but for a national team you need someone who has a proven track record, Capello has that and IMHO we shouldn't even be thinking about changing him.
scar

Postby shrimper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:36 am

The Marksman wrote:
shrimper wrote:Would Schweinsteiger keep Lampard out of the Chelsea side? Would Klose get picked ahead of Rooney for ManU, Mertesacker ahead of Terry?

1) Yes.
3) Oh my God yes.

There were very few of the England players in that line up I'd rather have in my side than their German equivalents. Maybe Ashley Cole instead of Boateng.

Okay we'll have to (very strongly) disagree. Based on their club form (forget what happened in S. Africa) none of those German players would get into the club sides I mentioned, ahead of the English players I mentioned.

Chelsea have a rack of quality international midfielders and could buy Schweinsteiger (who was out of favour for parts of the past two seasons in Germany) if they wanted - Lampard is first on the sheet every week, playing brilliantly and scoring as many as most good strikers as well.

Klose? many English clubs have looked at him and not bothered. I said 'ahead of Rooney' - not a chance on this earth.
Mertesacker was seen as a weak link before this tournament and would no way have been preferred to Terry at Chelsea.
As I also said - you can forget some of that now because of what's happened (they have to rebuild their reputations) but I still stand by what I say.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby John L » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 am

mrpotatohead wrote:suzie, if you are single, i suggest you pm darrenlock and get it on :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John L

Postby darrenlock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

I speak my mind no matter what If people don't like oh well.
Personally I think England were a joke the England footballer looked fatigue and out of shape can you say it is because players were playings out of position or with new teams mates.

Personally I think Capello should drop Lampard Terry And Rooney because were getting worse and we do have alot of young excellent players.

Joe Hart - Excellent season with Birmingham

Leighton Baines - Solid left back

Adam Johnson - Solid good move at Manchester City I do think he should join another team maybe Villa / Spurs.

Mathew Upson- Give him a chance

Even Joleen Lescott surprised Carragher was above him

Michael Richards - Should leave Man City and get back to his top form and could get a call up

Justin Rose - Looks excellent along with Huddlestone

If you look at other teams in world football they do change teams alot no matter what that is why Spain Germany Argentina Brazil are always solid
darrenlock

Postby darrenlock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:38 am

Rodwell of Everton Excellent midfield .

Agbonlahor of Aston Villa with Ashley Young both deserve regular England starts in the friendlies.

And Darren Bent how can you drop a player that scores a goal one goal in 2 games
darrenlock

Postby The Marksman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:50 am

darrenlock wrote:Joe Hart - Excellent season with Birmingham
Leighton Baines - Solid left back
Adam Johnson - Solid good move at Manchester City I do think he should join another team maybe Villa / Spurs.
Mathew Upson- Give him a chance
Even Joleen Lescott surprised Carragher was above him
Michael Richards - Should leave Man City and get back to his top form and could get a call up
Justin Rose - Looks excellent along with Huddlestone

Rodwell of Everton Excellent midfield .
Agbonlahor of Aston Villa with Ashley Young both deserve regular England starts in the friendlies.
And Darren Bent how can you drop a player that scores a goal one goal in 2 games

Hart - yes, will probably start the next campaign as first choice. A major tournament however is not really the place to blood a rookie keeper. YES
Baines - has been tried, is ok, not as good as Ashley Cole. Backup at best. NO
Upson - has had plenty of chances (21 England caps) and mainly been mediocre. NO
Lescott - has 9 caps already, never really convinced, had a poor season last season. Can totally see why he wasn't considered - he's going to need to be playing much better to get anywhere near the 1st team. NO
Richards - has done precisely the square root of funk all the last few seasons, why should he be considered? NO
Rose - not bad. Shame his sport is golf, not football. NO
Rodwell - will probably be tried, deserves a go. YES
Agbonlahor - poor man's 100m runner. Ask any Villa fan, they'd be glad to get decent money for him if anyone came in. NO
Bent - has 6 caps and no goals. Where do you get your stats from? Still, we could do worse than give him a proper few goes as a lone striker. YES

3/9. Must do better.
The Marksman

Postby shrimper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:57 am

Agree with all of that.

He (as you know ;) ) means Danny Rose who I don't think will be quite good enough.

Huddlestone may be in the next few years (plays a lot like Van Bommel who I like) and I think Rodwell has a great future. Dawson will be tried as centre back very soon.

Rooney's still young enough to lead England's future with some eager young midfielders behind him (Lennon, Johnson, Milner, Rodwell, Huddlestone as examples). I also like Daniel Sturridge.

A. Cole is one of the best in his position if he sorts his head out.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby darrenlock » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 am

Just putting names on here just because England were European runner ups recently in the under21s and won the unde17s.

I do believe that changes need to be made I am not sure if this would happen but by qualification for the World Cup I do think the future of England will be here and hope the media will get off they backs
darrenlock

Postby ezz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:55 am

I reckon whoever the manager is or will be, they get their squad sorted straight away with mainly up and coming players with a couple of old heads for experience. We play more friendlies (against decent teams) that mean something and we start forming some sort of style/tactic.
Lets face it next world cup most of our oldies wont be playing so lets start preparing now, players like adam johnson on the wings (yes real wingers). Two strikers upfrnot that compliment each other and a central midfield pairing that are not competing for the alpha male role. Center backs we need at least one who can play a pass like most countries have, it also seems that for international matches you need one monster defensive midfilder (mascherano, Silva) brazil actually use two. We had two lets face it not very energetic attacking midfielders. I dont think Barry is good enough for the def mid position.

To be fair what we need more is the media to stop hurting our own chances by looking for stories to slate our players with the night/month before a big game!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby The Marksman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:32 am

ezz wrote:Lets face it next world cup most of our oldies wont be playing so lets start preparing now, players like adam johnson on the wings (yes real wingers). Two strikers upfrnot that compliment each other and a central midfield pairing that are not competing for the alpha male role. Center backs we need at least one who can play a pass like most countries have, it also seems that for international matches you need one monster defensive midfilder (mascherano, Silva) brazil actually use two. We had two lets face it not very energetic attacking midfielders. I dont think Barry is good enough for the def mid position.

So basically, you want to stick with 4-4-2. Let's examine the teams that are in the World Cup quarter finals:

Argentina - 4-3-3
Uruguay - 4-3-3
Brazil - 4-2-3-1
Paraguay - 4-3-3
Netherlands - 4-2-3-1
Spain - 4-3-3
Germany - 4-2-3-1
Ghana - 4-5-1

Notice anything? We need to stop playing 4-4-2. Seriously. Now.
The Marksman

Postby ezz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Well no not really, but traditionally were a 4-4-2 team, my main opint was that we actually need some sort of game plan when we lpay nistead of choosing the ebst 11 names that look god and shiny on paper.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby The Marksman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:43 pm

shrimper wrote:
The Marksman wrote:

1) Yes.
3) Oh my God yes.

Okay we'll have to (very strongly) disagree. Based on their club form (forget what happened in S. Africa) none of those German players would get into the club sides I mentioned, ahead of the English players I mentioned.

Chelsea have a rack of quality international midfielders and could buy Schweinsteiger (who was out of favour for parts of the past two seasons in Germany) if they wanted - Lampard is first on the sheet every week, playing brilliantly and scoring as many as most good strikers as well.

Klose? many English clubs have looked at him and not bothered. I said 'ahead of Rooney' - not a chance on this earth.
Mertesacker was seen as a weak link before this tournament and would no way have been preferred to Terry at Chelsea.
As I also said - you can forget some of that now because of what's happened (they have to rebuild their reputations) but I still stand by what I say.

1) You're not really comparing like with like, so saying "ahead of x" is not valid. Lampard plays best as the most advanced midfielder of a central three, getting into the box. Schweinsteiger is more of a creative, passing midfielder who stays deeper. At Chelsea, they'd probably play together in a central three along with a destroyer-type, but in a central two I'd definitely pick the German over the Englishman because Lampard offers so little other than shooting - and he's now got the record for most shots at the World Cup without a goal.

2) Again, they're not really alike. They probably could play together in a central two if needed, but I stand by my thought that if they were both at Man U Klose would be up front and Rooney wide left. However, if it was a straight choice between the two as a lone striker, then yes, I'd agree with you and pick Rooney.

3) Terry has been declining for a couple of years now and injuries have played their part in this. He can still bark orders with the best of them but his declining pace is starting to make him a liability. Mertesacker as the younger fitter man would get my vote.
The Marksman

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Joe Hart is an excellent prospect for the future and I'm sure 95% of the country feel the same about our future between the sticks.

Glen Johnson has done a decent job at right back and currently there's no challenge from any youngsters for the time being.

John Terry, no matter what you say about his private life, showed excellent spirit and commitment on the field during the World Cup and continues to be captain and leader in all but name.

Michael Dawson had an excellent season at Spurs and for me should be given an opportunity at national level.

Ashley Cole is another one who can have his personal life ridiculed until the cows come home but still first choice left back as one of the world leaders.

James Milner is one of the few to come away from the World Cup with any credit to him with his outstanding performances on the right wing.

Tom Huddlestone is a Premier League version of Stewart Drummond. Get him in that midfield now.

His central midfield partner isn't as sure, Rodwell is a decent shout but not experienced enough yet, maybe stick Milner in the middle and Lennon on the right for now.

Adam Johnson has to be starting. Excellent second half of the season and playing with top players (Tevez, Adebayor, Silva etc) at City is only going to improve him.

I'd put Joe Cole in behind the front man. He can drop off to win balls from midfield and make the most of his creative influence in the middle.

Peter Crouch should be up front for his goal ratio alone. Darren Bent could be an understudy but has failed to live up to expectations when playing for England.

If we're stuggling for goals bring on Jermain Defoe after 70 minutes, not 80/85.

That's who I'd love as the starting XI for our next game but I daren't bet against Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and Barry undeservedly retaining their places.
Harry

Postby Suzi Quatro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 pm

I will apply to be the Manager. If I am appointed, I would change the direction of the team to ensure that we take the cup home in 2014. I would place The Team on a diet of fruit and Veg every day. They would begin the day with a morning run followed by relaxation using the practice of Yoga. I would ensure that the team practice their attacking methods extensively until I am confident that my boys can compete with the big guns. I am sure that with a tough women at the helm with perhaps a millitary background, I am positive that we could produce something good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My point being is that we really need a change in direction when we appoint the next manager. The new Manager needs to be inovative and forward thinking. I also think the Team need to be picked from ordinary grassroots football teams who play the game becasue of their love of the game as oppose to the money.
Suzi Quatro

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 am

Do what the Nigerians are doing.
Close down their national team for the next 2 years (or something like that), and sort themselves out.
At least cut out meaningless friendlies. What impact did any friendly over the last 4 years have on England's performance in South Africa?
We need a new national flag too. Same as the current one, without the red cross!
Plain Peter

Postby George Dawes » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:18 am

if i could do anythiong it would be just three things

more 7v7 football at schools

and all weather pitches in every community(like the west end in morecambe and the amount of land they have to play with)

six English players have to be on the field per team at any one time in the premer league
George Dawes

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:43 am

DawZi wrote:six English players have to be on the field per team at any one time in the premer league

Clutching at straws.
I've mentioned this before, and am still convinced. There should be one club in the Prem which consists solely of English players. That team would provide the vast majority of the national team, and if you've got aspirations and are good enough, then that is the club for you.
David Moyes would be my manager. Stuart Pearce would be nowhere near I'm afraid.
Until we get shut of market forces, blinkered greedy agents, contracts in excess of 1 year, and foreign mercenaries then forget it.
Plain Peter

Postby ezz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 am

i would make pointless friendlies.....meaningful
Get over it ;)
ezz

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion