O/T England World Cup thread

Re: O/T England World Cup thread

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:29 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:What I don't get is this: how many of the 23 can use their left foot to good effect?
Answer: 1 - Gareth Barry.
I rest my case.

you've forgot Ashly Cole and Warnock(i think) ?

the left side of midfield as always been a problem for England since the early 1980s hence John Barnes getting nearly 80caps and he only use to have one good game in every six because there was nobody else to bring in(flop) the worst thing he ever was score that amazing goal against a top Brazil side in there own back yard in 1984 so then everytime he got the ball everyone expected him to score goals like Maradona did against England in 86

i think we've only ever had one promising left winger in the last 30 years and his name was Lee Sharpe and we all know what happened to him

oh and like i said previous i would have took Adam Johnson even if he played a bit part the experience would do him good in the future for his country
Last edited by George Dawes on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
George Dawes

Postby Opinionated » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 pm

DawZi wrote:
seasonsinthesun wrote:What I don't get is this: how many of the 23 can use their left foot to good effect?
Answer: 1 - Gareth Barry.
I rest my case.

you've forgot Ashly Cole and Warnock(i think) ?

the left side of midfield as always been a problem for England since the early 1980s hence John Barnes getting nearly 80caps and he only use to have one good game in every six because there was nobody else to bring in(flop) the worst thing he ever was score that amazing goal against a top Brazil side in there own back yard in 1984 so then everytime he got the ball everyone expected him to score goals like Maradona did against England in 86

i think we've only ever had one promersing left winger in the last 30 years and his name was Lee Sharpe and we all know what happened to him

Speaking of John Barnes, he said earlier that England don't need a left sided winger due to Ashley Cole's attacking mentality.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby seasonsinthesun » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Sorry you are quite right, forgot about Cole and Warnock.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:57 pm

been trying to find a decent link but this is the John Barnes goal i was on about when he first started playing for England --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jdsPZmOWM
George Dawes

Postby Suzi Quatro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:09 pm

I hope we do better than we did in The Eurovision Song Contest. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suzi Quatro

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 am

shrimper wrote:I'd play either him or Crouch with Rooney for the early round games - against the 'lesser' teams but, against the better ones later on (when I'm enjoying the fruits of my bet with Peter) probably Rooney on his own up front with Gerrard or Cole just behind.

England 1 (Elmer J Chikenshit o.g.) v USA 2
Plain Peter

Postby Opinionated » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:16 pm

The World Cup ball has attracted criticism:

David James (England Goalkeeper) - "There will undoubtedly be goals scored in this tournament which in previous tournaments with different balls wouldn't have been scored"

Mark Schwarzer (Australia Goalkeeper) - "Sometimes the ball has a genuine flight and other times it has a mind of its own"

Gianluigi Buffon (Italy Goalkeeper) - "The World Cup brings together the best players in the world and to those players you must provide something decent. The new ball is not decent"

Goalkeepers always complain but they aren't the only ones complaining about the Jabulani ball.

Giampaolo Pazzini (Italy Striker) - "The new ball is a disaster for strikers. It's fast and it weighs less than a normal ball"

Marcus Tulio Tanaka (Japan Defender) - "The ball is difficult for defenders to deal with"

Morten Olson (Denmark Coach) - "An impossible ball"

Footballs have become lighter over time but I don't see how they can cause this much controversy. They didn't have this nonsense in Puskas day when they simply kicked around a pigs bladder covered in cow, and he still scored 84 goals in 85 appearences for Hungary!
Opinionated

Postby Opinionated » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Capello has signed a new contract keeping him with England until after Euro 2012. Lucky man, many managers are judged purely on how they perform at major tournaments but the FA have rightfully rewarded him for an impressive qualifying campaign.
Opinionated

Postby outsider » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:07 pm

North Korea will be forced to play striker Kim Myong-Won as a goalkeeper during this month's World Cup in South Africa due to a mix-up about the squad.

The team had decided to bolster their attacking options by including the forward in the slot reserved for a third goalkeeper, taking the risk that they would be able to survive the tournament with just two glove men.

But FIFA rules insist that all squads must include three keepers, and that those three players are prohibited from playing in outfield positions.

And with the deadline for the squads to be named having passed, no changes will be permitted except in the case of a serious injury more than 24 hours before a team's first match.

"The three players listed as goalkeepers can only play as goalkeepers during the FIFA World Cup and cannot play outfield," FIFA said in a statement.

"Kim Myong-Won will not be allowed to play as an outfield player if he has been put on the list as a goalkeeper."

WHOOPS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Rio out of world cup :shock: So who's next captin? JT,SG,FF?

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby durhamshrimp » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Might be a blessing. Michael Dawson has been far better than him all season.
durhamshrimp

Postby scar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Dawson in the squad to replace Rio.... it's looking more and more like Spurs on tour! ;)
scar

Postby Opinionated » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:55 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Might be a blessing. Michael Dawson has been far better than him all season.

I agree. I don't see how Ferdinands absence is a problem for England. Bring King/Carragher in for him and make Gerrard captain.
Opinionated

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:01 pm

durhamshrimp wrote:Might be a blessing. Michael Dawson has been far better than him all season.

All bets with Shrimper are now off :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:36 am

Weetabix Kid wrote:We will win the group.
2nd round beat Serbia convincingly and everyone gets there hopes up.
Q/F - beat the French (not the force anymore) on pens and people get way too excited
S/F - we get put back in our place being outclassed by Brazil.

SIMPLES

I just did the BBC predictor/tracker thing and got almost that same outcome.

I had us beating Uruguay in the quarters, though (had them winning their group for the same reason you mention about France - they come runners-up in their group).

Not outclassed by Brazil but, in a tight game, one bit of quality nicks it for them (or a long-range shot with that placky ball that swerves past James!)

Argentina to beat Brazil in final, Spain to beat us in 3rd/4th play-off.

Tevez to be top scorer - me to cash in!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby sgt major » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:40 am

shrimper wrote:
Weetabix Kid wrote:We will win the group.
2nd round beat Serbia convincingly and everyone gets there hopes up.
Q/F - beat the French (not the force anymore) on pens and people get way too excited
S/F - we get put back in our place being outclassed by Brazil.

SIMPLES

I just did the BBC predictor/tracker thing and got almost that same outcome.

I had us beating Uruguay in the quarters, though (had them winning their group for the same reason you mention about France - they come runners-up in their group).

Not outclassed by Brazil but, in a tight game, one bit of quality nicks it for them (or a long-range shot with that placky ball that swerves past James!)

Argentina to beat Brazil in final, Spain to beat us in 3rd/4th play-off.

Tevez to be top scorer - me to cash in!

All that washed down with "England's Pride" ale served in the York ;)
sgt major

Postby shrimper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:48 am

It's Stella or poor second best for me, Mick!

---------------Hart----------------
Johnson---King---Terry---A.Cole
Lennon----Lampard----Barry----J.Cole/Milner
---------------Gerrard--------------
---------------Rooney---------------

Having had a good, long think, this is my first choice team for the knockout stages against the better sides.

Group stage (with Barry not quite fully fit) you drop Gerrard back and play Crouch up front. He can make sure you rattle the lesser teams and ensure you beat them but doesn't quite have the class against the real top sides. Heskey to replace him late on and SWP to replace Lennon after 70 mins throughout the tournament.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ockers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:07 pm

I have us beating ghana in the second round beating france in the quarters
losing to brazil in the semis
brazil v spain final
ockers

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:24 pm

shrimper wrote:Having had a good, long think, this is my first choice team for the knockout stages against the better sides.

:lol: :lol: - Shrimper, you could the same as Kris Kamara, go for Jackanory though :lol: :lol: ;)
Plain Peter

Postby George Dawes » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:03 pm

4 2 3 1

Hart
Johnson Carragher Terry Cole
Lampard Barry
Lennon Gerrard Cole
Rooney
George Dawes

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 pm

The starting XI ought to be set in stone.
It ain't, nobody has a clue.
Could be the strategy, but doubt it.
There will be trouble ahead.
Plain Peter

Postby outsider » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 pm

I think he will stick to a 442

..............James..........
Johnson..King..Terry..Cole
Lennon..Lampard..Gerrard..Cole/Millner
....Crouch/Heskey...Rooney...

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:29 pm

ockers wrote:I have us beating ghana in the second round beating france in the quarters
losing to brazil in the semis
brazil v spain final

would be quite happy with that outcome ;)
heysham_mfc

Postby Suzi Quatro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:24 am

I have URUGUAY in the sweepstake so I will be hoping they win :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suzi Quatro

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion