Summer Signings

Re: Summer Signings

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm

I dont see how Fergie is an 'old school' manager, he may be a good motivator in the style of a Shankly or Busby but Uniteds training techniques and information they gather through prozone, reports etc are far from it. Ferguson has a team who watch everything down to the very last detail of what the left backs maximum sprint distance is so he can put out a team to exploit this.

Saying Fergie does it his way doesnt constitute and explanation of how he is an old school manager, he may be considered 'old school' in terms of his man management skills but his ability to manage and adapt a team is very much in the mould of modern coaching.

Old school managers of which there are many in the lower leagues that are being removed slowly but surely are the ones that live in an age where you gee players up, play 5 aside, plenty of ball work, pick a formation and play to it, regardless of whether you have the players to play it or how the opposition line up.
LA1Shrimp

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Well find me a definition of an old school manager and list of who is and who isn't and where they are and we'll see. If not everything your saying is pointless, as it's just a factless opinion.
Fergie started managing what 30 years ago? Since then the coaches may have changed the training routine with new technology but he hasn't changed the way he sets his team out dramatically at all or the way he manages them personally I'm sure. he has his footballing philosophy and its worked so he's never had to change it.

Again what your getting at is new training routine which in todays football is handled by coaches and fitness instructers. One of my ex house mates is a fitness coach for blackburn, he does his own session without influence of the manager as hes the fitness expert.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Who Mark Howard or Adrian Lamb, to be honest I would expect a manager to take the fitness sessions however I would expect that the manager has input into what he wants from players and what the outcomes of their fitness regimes will be. For Example Steve Kean feels player X looks weak in the final 3rd of games and at times struggles with turns of pace - Mark Howard or Adrian Lamb will then draw up a plan around this targeting specific areas of training that will increase stamina and explosive power to improve sprint speeds. So to say a manager has no input is false, they may not have input in the sessions but like I say the outcome of the training will be dictated by what the manager wants the player to do.
LA1Shrimp

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

No offense but an idiot could tell you if someone tires near the end of a match everytime that they need to improve their fitness/stamina........there isn't a manager on the planet that isn't going to ask their fitness coach to make the players as fit as possible!
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 1:09 pm

What we class as tiring in a game and prem football classes as tiring are vastly different, I'm not talking someone blowing out of their backside, I'm talking minute details that we lay persons may not notice.

For instance Steve Kean (as we are using Rovers as en eg) looks at the prozone stats on a monday and it shows that there was a 20% drop in Salgados max sprint distance in the final 3rd of a match, when his normal level for this period in a game is 15% he will then instruct the fitness coaches to remedy this and maybe look for reasons for this i.e. sports scientists look at more efficient ways of running to conserve energy etc.

This seems to be going off track into nuances of elite level sports science which I would happily debate for hours however this isnt the place, my basic point was that McIlroy was a cones on the pitch and 5aside type manager, which has worked well in the past 4 years however we have come to a crossroads where we need something different, in the same way we needed something different at the end of Harveys tenure.

You look at the example set by Gary Waddock at Wycombe and formerly Aldershot, he is much more of an organiser and sports scientist as well as a man manager and look at the results this has gained. They were by far one of the most impressive teams I saw at the Globe this year, they picked us off with unbelievable ease, they got in front and it was the ngame over. This is what we need. We need someone fresh who lives the job.
LA1Shrimp

Postby MfcChris » Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 pm

shrimper wrote:Now I'm looking at our squad and thinking 'heck, if we don't bring in about half a dozen very good new players, we're relegation fodder'.

That is funny because in a topic last week most people would keep nearly all our players that have been paying towards the end of this season.

I actually think the new manager has a great set of players, who under a different manager, will look like they give a toss.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Duffman » Tue May 10, 2011 1:37 pm

MfcChris wrote:
shrimper wrote:Now I'm looking at our squad and thinking 'heck, if we don't bring in about half a dozen very good new players, we're relegation fodder'.

That is funny because in a topic last week most people would keep nearly all our players that have been paying towards the end of this season.

I actually think the new manager has a great set of players, who under a different manager, will look like they give a toss.

I was going to comment on the effect a new manager could have on existing players. As you say, some players will see it as making a fresh start but it'll be also interesting to see if the new manager can get more out of players which have disappointed this season. If the new manager can get the most out of a player like Shuker or Rundle it'll almost be like a new signing compared to the impact they've made in the past season.
Duffman

Postby MfcChris » Tue May 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Please lets sign Hurst now before anyone else jumps in!!

Derby have already signed their 3 loanees up on permanent deals!!!
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:What we class as tiring in a game and prem football classes as tiring are vastly different, I'm not talking someone blowing out of their backside, I'm talking minute details that we lay persons may not notice.

For instance Steve Kean (as we are using Rovers as en eg) looks at the prozone stats on a monday and it shows that there was a 20% drop in Salgados max sprint distance in the final 3rd of a match, when his normal level for this period in a game is 15% he will then instruct the fitness coaches to remedy this and maybe look for reasons for this i.e. sports scientists look at more efficient ways of running to conserve energy etc.

This seems to be going off track into nuances of elite level sports science which I would happily debate for hours however this isnt the place, my basic point was that McIlroy was a cones on the pitch and 5aside type manager, which has worked well in the past 4 years however we have come to a crossroads where we need something different, in the same way we needed something different at the end of Harveys tenure.

You look at the example set by Gary Waddock at Wycombe and formerly Aldershot, he is much more of an organiser and sports scientist as well as a man manager and look at the results this has gained. They were by far one of the most impressive teams I saw at the Globe this year, they picked us off with unbelievable ease, they got in front and it was the ngame over. This is what we need. We need someone fresh who lives the job.

Again if the players arn't fit enough its up to the fitness coach who is employed to research the games and look at which players need work in those departments, if the manager isn't happy with that he should step in and ask that the fitness coach does a more effective job.
I'm sure the head coaches are the ones who actually set up the training routines, Sammy will have probably gone through tactics, formations, individual roles and what he wants on the pitch and all the intricate details needed for the players to know exactly what he wants doing in every area.
Your placing a lot of emphasis on the managing job as if he does every single aspect at the club.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Sammy will have probably gone through tactics, formations, individual roles and what he wants on the pitch and all the intricate details needed for the players to know exactly what he wants doing in every area.

I was under the impression you didn't have a sense of humour
LA1Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Tue May 10, 2011 3:08 pm

irrelevant this topic

if the club decide not to go with Jim Bentley just yet which ever Manager they bring in will be keen to impress his new employers and already have his own players in mind and will no doubt act quickly for pre-season to build a team ready to get off to a good start of the season
George Dawes

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 3:31 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:
Sammy will have probably gone through tactics, formations, individual roles and what he wants on the pitch and all the intricate details needed for the players to know exactly what he wants doing in every area.

I was under the impression you knew something about football
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 3:43 pm

ha ha nice try sweetpea
LA1Shrimp

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 4:04 pm

You haven't proved otherwise princess
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby morecambes_robbo » Tue May 10, 2011 4:19 pm

ezz wrote:You haven't proved otherwise princess

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, i havent seen romance like this since Eric Morecambe and Andre Previn
I havent seen that much FILA since The Business
morecambes_robbo

Postby ezz » Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm

I cant help people loving me :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 am

Little Shrimp wrote:And maybe AKINFENWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has signed a 2 year deal to go back to Northampton. That will pretty much guarantee, IMO, that the Cobblers will not be down the bottom again next season!

At Gillingham, however, their star players are jumping from a sinking ship
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am

I'm going to have a bet on Northampton to be League 2 champions next season. ;)
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky No.1 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 pm

Bencheriff staying put unless he gets an offer to play at a higher level. Macclesfield finished 5 places above, so can't be us

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 00,00.html
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Joel Ninety » Fri May 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Joel Ninety

Postby Posh » Fri May 27, 2011 6:46 pm

ezz wrote:
LA1Shrimp wrote:

I was under the impression you knew something about football

LA1 Shrimp

Rule 1 of Shrimpsvoices - Don't argue with Ezz
Rule 2 of Shrimpsvoices - Don't argue with Ezz

If he says black is white he'll argue it to the death.

By the way, I completely agree with what you're saying. I had the pleasure of a long conversation with a former Prem manager. He was saying that every decision affecting players comes through him or begins with him. He's the manager and if he gets sacked his backroom team are likely to follow. While he delegates a lot when it comes to substitutions, for example, he needs to know everything about players to make a judgement call. Get it wrong he gets the blame not anyone else.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion