Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!

Re: Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!

Postby Christies Child » Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Alexander wants to carry on playing as long as possible, has the coaching badges and masses of contacts at a higher level, ticks all the boxes for us, and will want to leave burnley as he wants games, preston might want him back now though, so we would need to act quick.

I suggested Alexander a few weeks ago. Along with Stuart Metcalfe he ticks all the boxes but for different reasons.

Add ex Rovers No2 and former Carlisle manager and recently shortlisted for the Vale job which Gannon got, Neil McDonald. Viewed by many as an excellent coach who was offered the Motherwell job but declined due to geographical reasons. He also lives in Garstang so would cut down on petrol expences... :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Harry » Mon May 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Stuart Metcalfe and Neil McDonald would probably command a high wage due to their previous clubs, but they wouldn't be able to justify that wage in attracting quality players and delivering results, because no one knows who they are!

What bigger name (apart from Peter Taylor) was a League 2 manager this season? Even most players in this division and a fair few from the one above know Jim Bentley from playing against him.
Harry

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:37 pm

shrimper wrote:
Mark Wright!!!???

I never thought I'd ever say this but if they appointed him I wouldn't set foot in the place. Honestly.

Agreed 100% Shrimper.

I'd rather have the manager of Jossy's Giants (Google it kids ;) )at the helm than Wright.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Christies Child wrote:Add ex Rovers No2 and former Carlisle manager and recently shortlisted for the Vale job which Gannon got, Neil McDonald. Viewed by many as an excellent coach who was offered the Motherwell job but declined due to geographical reasons. He also lives in Garstang so would cut down on petrol expences... :lol:

Is Neil McDonald on your CC list, CC ????

(CC list being ....... Christmas Card ???!!!!!)

:lol:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby marky » Mon May 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Keith wrote:
marky wrote:No, no and no.

I think it was the start of your post that I took as being negative rather than 'debate'! :roll: Perhaps you could have started with 'I disagree because...'? :lol:

I guess you missed the fact it was a reference to your "Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!" title to this thread ;)
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Keith » Mon May 09, 2011 10:28 pm

marky wrote:
Keith wrote:
marky wrote:No, no and no.

I think it was the start of your post that I took as being negative rather than 'debate'! :roll: Perhaps you could have started with 'I disagree because...'? :lol:

I guess you missed the fact it was a reference to your "Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!" title to this thread ;)

Ah, fair enough! I was just getting over excited!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Vinny » Mon May 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Jimbo would certainly be a strong contender, if not the main contender, on my short-list.

As Shrimper has already clearly described, Jimbo has the knowledge and experience of our club. His drive, desire, humour, quick wit and personality would carry him a long way in this job. I don't believe a managers job is about bollocking players, it should be about encouraging and instilling belief and confidence in your team, and I'm sure Jimbo is well capable of that. Well worth a try. I think his appointment would help rectify the glitches of the first season at The Globe and re-invigorate the MFC we know and bring a few people back through the turnstiles too.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby marky » Mon May 09, 2011 10:42 pm

If Jim was to take on the reigns, the biggest decision would be deciding who his assistant would be. No one person can provide everything so it would need to be someone who he could get along with but would bring the qualities that he doesn't necessarily have.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Mon May 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Agreed - and, on balance, if we can't get someone who can bring all Jim's drive and energy PLUS a bit more experience at a higher level (say, like Graham Alexander or the like) then I think I'd prefer it that way round, rather than someone off that list of unemployed managers, with Jim as assistant.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Optimist » Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I think it would be difficult for Jim to go from being "one of the lads" as a team-mate to suddenly being the man who has to bollock them when necessary and give them bad news over contracts and not selecting them in the team.

I think it needs a whole new management team to come in.

John Coleman as boss with Jimmy Bell as his assistant

Liam Watson as chief scout (he could continue to manage Southport in BSN)

Jim Bentley as player coach and reserve team manager.

And your allegedlly an accountant, care to do the maths to see how much that would cost? Keep your head in the clouds I suggest...!
Optimist

Postby Optimist » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 am

Keith wrote:
marky wrote:No, no and no. We need someone with fresh eyes who doesn't have any preconceived ideas about individuals, etc. Promoting from within does sometimes work and I have no doubt that Jim Bentley will make an excellent manager one day (hopefully for us) but now is not the time.
Come on, you've not liked Jim Harvey, you've not liked Sammy McIllroy. Is there anyone who you actually WOULD like to manage Morecambe FC?[/i]

Same could be aimed at yourself and several others on here as well.
Optimist

Postby Optimist » Tue May 10, 2011 12:09 am

Christies Child wrote:Ideally for me Jimbo learning from an experienced 'older' head who knows that he's coming in as the teacher of our future manager!

Stuart Metcalfe the former Rovers and Blackpool caretaker for instance.

However if it is Jimbo, he'd bring all sections of the club together which would be a good thing.

So IF, it was Jimbo, you'd still be shouting shite towards the dugout if we hadnt recorded a win in our first 5 games? Nah course not, afterall you support everyone at Morecambe, bollocks. And yes, I've sat about 5 rows away from you and heard the utter nonsense you shout so dont say I havent heard all this nonsense.
Optimist

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 5:42 am

Optimist wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I think it would be difficult for Jim to go from being "one of the lads" as a team-mate to suddenly being the man who has to bollock them when necessary and give them bad news over contracts and not selecting them in the team.

I think it needs a whole new management team to come in.

John Coleman as boss with Jimmy Bell as his assistant

Liam Watson as chief scout (he could continue to manage Southport in BSN)

Jim Bentley as player coach and reserve team manager.

And your allegedlly an accountant, care to do the maths to see how much that would cost? Keep your head in the clouds I suggest...!

The only addition to "establishment wages" that I suggested is a chief scout. They are usually only paid a retainer and then a commission for results. A decent chief scout would have saved us transfer fees for Mark Duffy and Carl Baker and probably found other gems.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Tue May 10, 2011 6:43 am

Optimist wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Ideally for me Jimbo learning from an experienced 'older' head who knows that he's coming in as the teacher of our future manager!

Stuart Metcalfe the former Rovers and Blackpool caretaker for instance.

However if it is Jimbo, he'd bring all sections of the club together which would be a good thing.

So IF, it was Jimbo, you'd still be shouting shite towards the dugout if we hadnt recorded a win in our first 5 games? Nah course not, afterall you support everyone at Morecambe, bollocks. And yes, I've sat about 5 rows away from you and heard the utter nonsense you shout so dont say I havent heard all this nonsense.

.....such as?

If what I've said has been 'shite' why haven't you told me to my face 'to shut up'. Evidently you are only 5 rows away. Funny that those you sit next to me or within touching distance including a local dignatory haven't found my language to be offensive otherwise they'd have told me.

So examples please....... :?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 8:43 am

I'm pretty sure Southport would have something to say about their manager becoming chief scout for us, conflict of interests much.

Its going to cost a 'very substantial' figure to buy out Coleys contract not including Jimmy Bell, a figure I dare say we would be unwilling to pay considering we need around 10 players in the summer on top of this.
LA1Shrimp

Postby ockers » Tue May 10, 2011 8:48 am

LA1Shrimp wrote:I'm pretty sure Southport would have something to say about their manager becoming chief scout for us, conflict of interests much.

Its going to cost a 'very substantial' figure to buy out Coleys contract not including Jimmy Bell, a figure I dare say we would be unwilling to pay considering we need around 10 players in the summer on top of this.

which 10 would you be bringing in?
and who would you be letting go?
ockers

Postby LA1Shrimp » Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 am

As for bringing in its very hard to say as it comes down to finance and availability, first and foremost I would be getting myself down to the open trials on 1 July for all released premier league academy players!!

As for releasing I would send back everyone who is on loan barring Spencer, the only player on a short term deal I would offer terms is Carlton. There are others I would look to move on however they are contracted so its not that easy, you have to find a taker.

There are a few whose deals run out who I would offer terms.
LA1Shrimp

Postby morecambegeek » Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 am

ockers wrote:

Why does it have to be a specific 10? A lot of our squad are duff. There are umpteen better available players out there.
morecambegeek

Postby Jolly rog branch » Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 am

I think that Jimbo would be the ideal choice and not just because of his "love" of the club but as someone already mentioned you dont need experience all anybody ever needs is a chance to shine, look at Eddie Howe and what a great job he did for Bournemouth and all that he was given was a chance by the chairman,
Yes many people are saying what I am thinking too we need someone to come in and take the club in the right direction, but i think Jimbo is the man for the job, he was given the chance of the reserves and he took that no problem and i get the feeling talking to him after games that he would relish the chance at managing the club.
Furthermore he seems the type of manager who would put everything he has into the job eg first team affairs as well as keeping an eye on reserve and youth team goings on which is something that Sammy never really did, and just to finish i also think that maybe he would use himself very wisely as he would not be able to see the game properly on the pitch as a manager
For me its Jimbo all the way maybe on a one year contract to start and have Drummie to help out a bit with training etc
Jolly rog branch

Postby shrimpinho » Tue May 10, 2011 10:11 am

morecambegeek wrote:
ockers wrote:

Why does it have to be a specific 10? A lot of our squad are duff. There are umpteen better available players out there.

couldn't agree more.

theres ronaldo, messi and rooney, to name a few, out there :P
shrimpinho

Postby Sharpy » Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 am

Christies Child wrote:
.....such as?

If what I've said has been 'shite' why haven't you told me to my face 'to shut up'.

More total balls coming from you CC. people don't go to matches to tell know it alls to sit down and shut up. every bloody week you are on here trying to strt fights with people.

watch out mods, wont be long before CC is starting Fight Club or Morecambes very own Firm-ARSE (Always Right Shouty Eejits)
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby ockers » Tue May 10, 2011 11:44 am

Sharpy wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
.....such as?

If what I've said has been 'shite' why haven't you told me to my face 'to shut up'.

More total balls coming from you CC. people don't go to matches to tell know it alls to sit down and shut up. every bloody week you are on here trying to strt fights with people.

watch out mods, wont be long before CC is starting Fight Club or Morecambes very own Firm-ARSE (Always Right Shouty Eejits)

or the MAD FARTS

morecambe and district fight against retired twits shouting

MAD FARTS
ockers

Postby marky No.1 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Basically
Old
Losers
Lacking
Overindulgence
Control
Kind
Sir
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Tue May 10, 2011 5:14 pm

This IS speculation on my part but IF Jimbo gets the job, hows about Ged Brannan as No2?

I believe that both Jimbo and Ged travelled to the club together and are friends both on and off the field.

:?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby morecambegeek » Tue May 10, 2011 5:50 pm

It's speculation on my part, but what about Ian Swan? Darren Kempson? Chris Blackburn? Dave Artell? Michael Howard? Jimmy Kelly? Carl Ruffer? Adam Sollit? Craig Mawson? Dean Howell? Adriano Rigoglioso? Lee Elam? Ben Lavelle?
morecambegeek

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion