O/T Man U

Re: O/T Man U

Postby Dragofly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Who cares?
Dragofly

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:25 pm

The BBC have confirmed that David Gill the United Director has held talks with Rooney's agent and that his agent has told United that his client wants away.

It sounds as though Man City are a likely destination at a fee of circa £50million.

Just a bit too much for us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Press Conference with Ferguson confirms that Rooney wants away which surprises the manager.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Can't've been that much of a surprise, apparently Fergie has known since mid-August! This adds another explanation for the poor form of Wayne Rooney, although I'd be pretty shocked if he was sold to City, or even to another EPL club. I think Real Madrid or Inter Milan will be the most likely destinations, in some kind of player plus cash deals, although hopefully he'll have a change of heart over the next couple of months if his personal life settles down. I'm surprised that this wasn't all paper gossip to be honest, as was the case with Vidic and many other cases, but fortunately I don't think Man Utd's success is dependant on Rooney. Utd's problem this season has been conceding goals rather than scoring them, and I'm sure Rooney's 1 penalty contribution since March can be replace from within in time!

PS, sorry for stoking the fires of a Man U discussion on a Morecambe board.
AJC

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:12 pm

AJC wrote:

Where??? If you believe the "reputable inside sources" of the unreputable British newspapers looking to flog as many copies as possible then you're gullible. Recently national newspapers seem to employ similar journalistic tactics to Heat magazine etc, where news is replaced by hearsay or is simply fabricated so that people will buy them for this "must read story", which is pathetic really. Until either Rooney, Ferguson or someone high up in the club confirms this story, then I'll give it all the journalistic weight it deserves, which is on par with the nonsense transfer gossip that goes around every transfer window.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
halftimeresults

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Anyway 10 days ago United announced a loss of 80 million for the year and today Ferguson put their Star player in the shop window.

Its not rocket science :lol:
halftimeresults

Postby essex_shrimp » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:47 pm

80million in debt for the year.

Damm what will Manchester City do for this year losses.

I think Wayne Rooney had a awful world cup and his heart is not playing football at the moment Wayne do not cheat on your wife AGAIN!!!.

And except us England fans and Manchester United followers to give him time why?

I think Manchester United should sell him and maybe buy another center forward up and coming I am thinking of Andy Carroll but he was in the paper last week hurting his ex gf?

What do you ShrimpsVoices fan think what will happen to Rooney I think Manchester United will lose this season Edwin Van Der Sar , Scholes , Giggs , Rooney?

And this Manchester United team in the summer did not buy Wesley Sneider?
essex_shrimp

Postby Tablespider » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

Hmmm, Wayne Rooney in Spain or Italy.... I can see a few problems with that, straight of the bat. Undoubted talent that he is, it's fair to say that he's not going to be on telly any day soon, representing ManMet or the like.

Wayne doing television interviews in Scouse, from Milan, worth the licence fee in itself...

He could handle the change from red to blue in Manchester, he got worse for going down the A580 from Liverpool.

But to cap it all, it would be hilarious, and an indictment of the game, if the only bid received for him was from Morecambe :)
If you want to know my opinion, ask my wife :)
Tablespider

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Man city are favourites, offering 200 grannies a week. Yeah wow grannies yeah wow
Bare Ben

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 pm

halftimeresults wrote:
AJC wrote:

Where??? If you believe the "reputable inside sources" of the unreputable British newspapers looking to flog as many copies as possible then you're gullible. Recently national newspapers seem to employ similar journalistic tactics to Heat magazine etc, where news is replaced by hearsay or is simply fabricated so that people will buy them for this "must read story", which is pathetic really. Until either Rooney, Ferguson or someone high up in the club confirms this story, then I'll give it all the journalistic weight it deserves, which is on par with the nonsense transfer gossip that goes around every transfer window.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What an intelligent response. Obviously as a Liverpool fan, relishing Man Utd's perceived misfortunes is the only thing for you to cheer at the minute, not much going on the pitch to celebrate for the team joint bottom of the league. However, unfortunately for you, Utd's finances area lot healthier than you believe. Pre-tax profit of £48.2m in 2009, loss this year partly due to one off payments, and record levels of turnover, Man Utd can cover there costs. And unlike Liverpool, despite Man Utd's best player and talismanic striker struggling with poor form and contributing little, we are not languishing in the relegation zone, but are joint 3rd, level on points with Arsenal. Man Utd are not a one man team, no matter how much you'd like it to be so, and have managed to continue to compete despite losing the likes of Cantona and Ronaldo in the past. In fact, unbeaten this season with Rooney playing few games, and only contributing scored penalty this season when he has been on the pitch, I'd say Man Utd are coping without Rooney relatively well already, although the club has higher ambitions than "just scraping 4th place". Regarding my scepticism of media reports, having heard for the last year plus that Vidic is imminently leaving, only to sign a new long term contract, this is relatively understandable. Furthermore, I'd suggest you adopt a similar scepticism, as according to "reliable sources", both Gerrard and Torres are courting moves abroad, and will be moving away from the EPL in a similar time-scale to Rooney himself.
AJC

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Everton will ne rubbing their hands together to collect their 25% sell on fee.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Sammy h » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Oh yes, it looks like Rooney is on his way. Wow. Maybe Ferguson might go? Oh yes. Wow.

Anyway I am going for a 2-1 win vs Stevenage. Wow. Jevons with the winner. Oh yes.
Sammy h

Postby Bare Ben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

AJC wrote:What an intelligent response. Obviously as a Liverpool fan, relishing Man Utd's perceived misfortunes is the only thing for you to cheer at the minute, not much going on the pitch to celebrate for the team joint bottom of the league. However, unfortunately for you, Utd's finances area lot healthier than you believe. Pre-tax profit of £48.2m in 2009, loss this year partly due to one off payments, and record levels of turnover, Man Utd can cover there costs. And unlike Liverpool, despite Man Utd's best player and talismanic striker struggling with poor form and contributing little, we are not languishing in the relegation zone, but are joint 3rd, level on points with Arsenal. Man Utd are not a one man team, no matter how much you'd like it to be so, and have managed to continue to compete despite losing the likes of Cantona and Ronaldo in the past. In fact, unbeaten this season with Rooney playing few games, and only contributing scored penalty this season when he has been on the pitch, I'd say Man Utd are coping without Rooney relatively well already, although the club has higher ambitions than "just scraping 4th place". Regarding my scepticism of media reports, having heard for the last year plus that Vidic is imminently leaving, only to sign a new long term contract, this is relatively understandable. Furthermore, I'd suggest you adopt a similar scepticism, as according to "reliable sources", both Gerrard and Torres are courting moves abroad, and will be moving away from the EPL in a similar time-scale to Rooney himself.

How pathetic, this is a Morecambe messageboard, go away. Where does halftimeresults say he is a Liverpool fan? You can't count "reliable sources" as your wife/sister. Yeah wow.
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:56 pm

AJC wrote:
halftimeresults wrote:
AJC wrote:

What an intelligent response. Obviously as a Liverpool fan, relishing Man Utd's perceived misfortunes is the only thing for you to cheer at the minute, not much going on the pitch to celebrate for the team joint bottom of the league. However, unfortunately for you, Utd's finances area lot healthier than you believe. Pre-tax profit of £48.2m in 2009, loss this year partly due to one off payments, and record levels of turnover, Man Utd can cover there costs. And unlike Liverpool, despite Man Utd's best player and talismanic striker struggling with poor form and contributing little, we are not languishing in the relegation zone, but are joint 3rd, level on points with Arsenal. Man Utd are not a one man team, no matter how much you'd like it to be so, and have managed to continue to compete despite losing the likes of Cantona and Ronaldo in the past. In fact, unbeaten this season with Rooney playing few games, and only contributing scored penalty this season when he has been on the pitch, I'd say Man Utd are coping without Rooney relatively well already, although the club has higher ambitions than "just scraping 4th place". Regarding my scepticism of media reports, having heard for the last year plus that Vidic is imminently leaving, only to sign a new long term contract, this is relatively understandable. Furthermore, I'd suggest you adopt a similar scepticism, as according to "reliable sources", both Gerrard and Torres are courting moves abroad, and will be moving away from the EPL in a similar time-scale to Rooney himself.

their**

If your trying to be clever you have to get it right :lol:
Sammy h

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:57 pm

AJC wrote:
halftimeresults wrote:
AJC wrote:

Dont you just love Man U fans
:lol: :lol:
halftimeresults

Postby Sammy h » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Oh yes

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sammy h

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Why are Man U fans calling Rooney Judas for saying he wants to leave when his contract is up?

Did not see Liverpool fans behave that way when Alonso left for Madrid.
halftimeresults

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Of course there's a delicious irony to all this.

Liverpool and Man Utd were both members of the greedy cartel (which later became the self-interested G14 consortium) that forced Uefa to create for them the Champions' League with the sole intent of guaranteeing themselves multi-millions of pounds in TV money from a set number of games each year.

It was all on the reckoning that once they'd been in it for a couple of years (and Utd at least were then looking at a few years of domestic dominance with the Beckham, Giggs, Scholes gang coming through together) then they'd push themselves beyond the riff-raff for eternity.

What they didn't foresee entirely was that this virtually guaranteed annual bonanza (and that's all it's ever been about, nothing to do with bettering football) would make our top clubs a magnet for foreign billionaires who saw the chance to create worldwide marketing brands and lots and lots of money. (Doesn't always work - but that's why they're here!)

Unfortunately for Man U and Liverpool, their sugar daddies are suddenly not quite so big and powerful in the face of ...... wait for it..... those neighbours from hell up the road.

Ha blimmin ha! You reap what you sow.

I hope City get Rooney AND Torres.

:lol: :lol:
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:17 pm

halftimeresults

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm

All part of the 'sod the lot of 'em, let's wind up the whole of football' comedy routine coming from WHL at the moment, closely following the rib-tickling sketch entitled "We want the (East London) Olympic Stadium".

Love it!

:lol:
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Dazzer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:47 pm

AJC wrote: However, unfortunately for you, Utd's finances area lot healthier than you believe. Pre-tax profit of £48.2m in 2009,

That number was boosted the the £80m sale of Ronaldo. Without that, the loss over the last 2 years is over £110m. For how long is that sustainable?

Interest payments are at £40m per year, and then there is the small matter of £750m worth of debt still yet to re-pay.

The curse of the levereaged take-over (Taking loans out to buy a business and then putting those loans and the re-payment of them onto the business) has befallen both Utd and Liverpool. Utd are in a better position to deal with it because of the size of their turnover but that is an awful lot of money that is going to be paid to banks and not spent on world class players
Assuming Abrahmovich and the Sheik don't get bored of their play things, the gulf financially (and therefore ultimately on the pitch) between city and Chelsea and the rest, including Utd, is in 3 or4 years going to be an absolute chasm

Utd fans may have taken great glee in the recent financial predicament of Liverpool, but their financial decline, unlikely to be as dramatic or sudden, is as every bit inevitable.
A glance at the League table now would suggest it's starting to be reflected. Utd fans may put it all down to 'Rooney being off form' but the problems are far more deep rooted than that.
Dazzer

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Bare Ben wrote:
How pathetic, this is a Morecambe messageboard, go away. Where does halftimeresults say he is a Liverpool fan? You can't count "reliable sources" as your wife/sister. Yeah wow.

Thanks for that BareBen, I am fully aware this is a Morecambe message board, which is why I didn't start the discussion, and have apologised in a previous post for participating in this topic, so yeah wow. It seems there are several Morecambe fans interested in airing their opinions/snide comments on the topic, so it isn't just me that should be taking the flack for that.

halftimeresults hasn't stated his support for Liverpool, but as halftimeresults has opened a topic on the Liverpool takeover before starting this discussion, I assumed he may have some allegiance with the club. By "reliable sources", I mean the gutter press and gossip columns, which is what this topic was based on.

I haven't called Rooney anything, and wouldn't suggest he is a Judas for wanting to leave the club. I'm sure he has his reasons, although I would be disappointed if his contract ran out rather than him being sold, just as I'm sure Liverpool fans were dissapointed when McManaman left on a bosman.

Shrimper, I agree there is an irony that two of the four clubs that've relied so heavily on Champions League competition money have such financial predicaments, but neither Liverpool nor Man Utd have ever really had sugar daddies. Both have previously been shareholdings, and current ownerships of both are investors who believe they can increase turnover, raise the company value and make money basically. Completely different scenarios to Man City and Chelsea, although Abramovich has reigned in his spend recently, leaving City in a league of one in terms of their financial situation.

Sammy h, if you enjoy checking the grammar of my posts and pointing out the single grammatical error in them, I would've gone for "Can't've" at the start of one of my previous post, which is wrong in every shape and form. I'm sure there'll be one of two in this post as well, so enjoy.

I knew somebody would pick up on the fact that the sale of Ronaldo was a large source of Man Utd's income last year, and is a valid point, but I don't think you can exclude it from the financial figures any more than you can remove the interest repayments to make the figures look better. However, if Utd's long term financial strategy was based on £80m worth of player sales every season then this would obviously be very worrying. Although your view the financial situation of gradual but continual decline into financial ruin, I think that the clubs vast and growing turnover will sustain the club until 2017, when the debt is due to be completely repaid. If this is not the case, and repayments can't be made, then a forced sale will go through, similar to Liverpool recent situation. I agree that Man Utd probably won't be able to compete financially with City of Chelsea over this period, although neither can the other 17 clubs in the Premier League, so it's not exactly a problem purely limited to Man Utd.
Last edited by AJC on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJC

Postby halftimeresults » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:45 pm

[quote=

I mean the gutter press and gossip columns, which is what this topic was based on.

No it turned out that this topic was based on fact and not newspaper gossip. Rooney wants to leave.
it also said in the sun that Rio wants to leave :o
halftimeresults

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm

AJC wrote:[
Shrimper, I agree there is an irony that two of the four clubs that've relied so heavily on Champions League competition money have such financial predicaments, but neither Liverpool nor Man Utd have ever really had sugar daddies. Both have previously been shareholdings, and current ownerships of both are investors who believe than can increase turnover, raise the company value and make money basically. Completely different scenarios to Man City and Chelsea, although Abramovich has reigned in his spend recently, leaving City in a league of one in terms of their financial situation.

Not disagreeing about those technical descriptions but it's not the point (IMO).

The point is Man u were one of the prime movers in forcing Uefa to guarantee them massive amounts of money each year by creating this horrible cash-cow. They did this because they had been in Liverpool's shadow for a couple of decades, were now enjoying a bit of supremacy because of the very proper and honourable method of bringing a great squad of young lads to the fore - BUT - didn't want to leave anything to chance again (ie years in the wilderness - which is what might happen through normal footballing means).

They wanted to seize the moment and, instead of risking a trip to some hole like Tbilisi for a first round European Cup defeat and no more big TV money that year, threaten to set up their own Euro League if Uefa didn't do it for them. Uefa caved in and the result was a means whereby they - and their football mafia mates - could cream in millions for years on end and (the plan was) create a self perpetuating elite for many years to come.

They've had it their own way, cherry-picking the best talent when they felt like it with other, lower tier, clubs powerless to resist for a few years. Now it looks like they may be starting to get a taste of their own medicine.

If the 'green and yellow' brigade want rid of owners like the Glazers, like I say, all they need to campaign for is a return to the straight knockout European Cup (one team from each country). They'd all be off like a shot.

Of course that would mean a more level playing field, with more clubs having a chance of success each year - through footballing means rather than mega-millions invested by foreign owners (because there wouldn't be the same likely returns on investment) - but we've seen what the Champions' League has brought us.

Some of us have hated it from the start - now maybe United fans will start to see a different side to it.

Abramovich and the City Arabs may not be exactly the same kind of investors as the Glazers but they have all been attracted to our clubs since the formation of the Champs' League which offers the promise of so much money each year. And United were prime movers in forcing it into existence.
shrimper

Postby AJC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

halftimeresults wrote:[quote=

I mean the gutter press and gossip columns, which is what this topic was based on.

No it turned out that this topic was based on fact and not newspaper gossip. Rooney wants to leave.

Hence the use of the word "was", rather than "is". I said I'd reserve judgement on this until someone from the club confirmed the situation, because transfer speculation is notoriously unreliable, which is why every Premier League club is "apparently" on the brink of buying about 20 players each and every transfer window.
AJC

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

AJC wrote:
halftimeresults wrote:[quote=

Hence the use of the word "was", rather than "is". I said I'd reserve judgement on this until someone from the club confirmed the situation, because transfer speculation is notoriously unreliable, which is why every Premier League club is "apparently" on the brink of buying about 20 players each and every transfer window.

Not 'every club' - only Spurs!
shrimper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion