Globe experience

Re: Globe experience

Postby Christies Child » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 am

I always thought that support for the team was the main priority. Looks like I've been wrong. :roll:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 am

Peter wrote:Me and Doris are making our debut on Saturday.
How should we spend the 2 hours before the game, and where's our best spot to stand?

If we tell you, the space will be full by the time you get there! Handiest place to start off from is book a caravan on Westgate Caravan Park ~ oh you did that last week! :lol:

Hope you have both enjoyed the delights of the area by the way ;)
Last edited by marky No.1 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Old Man Kensey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 am

Christies Child wrote:I always thought that support for the team was the main priority. Looks like I've been wrong. :roll:

To be fair a lot of people who I stand with are unhappy with what is on offer at the Globe for fans in the home end. Bearing in mind that we now pay more than we have ever done before to watch Morecambe we now find ourselves with worse facilities than we had in our conference days. The new Home End as others have pointed out offers a poorer view of the action than we had before and the facilities at the back of the stand are worse than we had before. People who I stand with, who didn’t follow the build of the stadium online, cannot believe the poor standard of what is on offer. The new main stand does look amazing but it should not have been built at the detriment of other match day users. I have heard various comments from people along the lines of ‘why are we paying extra for this?’, ‘for a new stand it’s not very good’ and most of all ‘why isn’t the bar inside?’
Going right back to the Unibond days I could get a drink inside the ground in a real bar. There is a feeling of being second class, which appears to be growing, which is something the club must address soon before the level of core support drops.
Last edited by Old Man Kensey on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby Plain Peter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 am

marky No.1 wrote:Hope you have both enjoyed the delights of the area by the way ;)

Don't get me going off-topic :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby halftimeresults » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:22 am

Football grounds in league 2 that have a standing terrace (what the average fan wants)

Accrington - Home and away (away end has no cover)
Burton- Home and away
Torquay- Home and away
Macclesfield- Home and away (away end has no cover )
Morecambe- Home and away
Stevenage Home fans only

Football grounds in League 2 that have disable facilities in all areas of the ground

Morecambe- Home and away fans

Football grounds in league 2 that admission price is less then £16.00

Accrington
Macclesfield
Morecambe

Football grounds in league 2 that offer Bar facilities in all areas of the ground

Bradford
Burton
Port Vale
Crewe
Morecambe
Southend?
Chesterfield
Wycombe

one team in league 2 trys to cater for the average footy fan so lets be greatful :D
halftimeresults

Postby Morecambe Jack » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 am

The main stand and its facilities are obviously superb and although I havent used them on a match day, it was evident from the open day. I love how Christie Way makes it feel like a proper stadium with everyone walking up and down there. I also like being able to meet friends in the bar before the game and then casually go into the ground. I feel proud looking at the stadium from the outside because the Peter McGuigan stand does look fantastic.

However, I really don't like the MBW terrace which is where I stand. I had reservations as it was being built but tried to go along with the general concensus on here that the smaller stand would improve the atmosphere. It hasn't. The North Stand for me was one of the best terraces in the country and I don't understand why it couldn't have been replicated at the new ground (this was wanted by the fans and was looked into?). It would have only been a slightly bigger structure and would have made viewing better. Luckily I'm tall so I don't have a problem viewing the game from anywhere in the stand but unfortunately nobody would be able to see the game from the two rows behind me such is the poor depth/height of the stand.

My matchday experience has improved before entering the ground but has diminished once paying my (increased) admission - which is dissappointing. I know there are plans for improvement as and when and all that - but in all honesty I cant see how that stand can be improved without knocking it down and starting again.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Old Man Kensey » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am

My matchday experience has improved before entering the ground but has diminished once paying my (increased) admission - which is dissappointing.

Sums it all up rather well. The bar outside the ground is good and a nice place to meet up, it's just a shame it's not inside the ground. Lots of little things like that all add up to the general disappointment a lot of people are feeling.
On a machine like this
Old Man Kensey

Postby Moose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 pm

halftimeresults wrote:Football grounds in league 2 that have a standing terrace (what the average fan wants)

Accrington - Home and away (away end has no cover)
Burton- Home and away
Torquay- Home and away
Macclesfield- Home and away (away end has no cover )
Morecambe- Home and away
Stevenage Home fans only

Football grounds in League 2 that have disable facilities in all areas of the ground

Morecambe- Home and away fans

Football grounds in league 2 that admission price is less then £16.00

Accrington
Macclesfield
Morecambe

Football grounds in league 2 that offer Bar facilities in all areas of the ground

Bradford
Burton
Port Vale
Crewe
Morecambe
Southend?
Chesterfield
Wycombe

one team in league 2 trys to cater for the average footy fan so lets be greatful :D

Nope, not on the North Terrace.
Moose

Postby Posh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 pm

I've not got a season ticket this season because I knew I'd be missing a few games and also because I wanted to try out different sides of the ground.

The Main Stand experience is fantastic. Great views and the facilities, depending on what sort of ticket you've got, are superb. The Wright & Lord Suite is a massive improvement of JBs. The bar downstairs is the first open to all bar we've had for supporters and no wonder Mick at The York is suffering. No more portakabins, superb shop, great offices and on it goes. The revenue opportunities are immense and something my business and a charity I'm involved with are making the most of. Previously sponsoring a match was more like a charitable donation now it is more of a business opportunity to actually impress clients as well as support the club. The Main Stand is where I would take visiting friends and family every time because I know they're going to enjoy there only visit to the Globe Arena.

Then there's the home terrace. Half my mates have abandoned the rest of us for the Main Stand. The food is not as good. The view is obviously worse. At the Coventry game there was a group of people at either end under 5 foot 3 stood on the tarmac who couldn't see the game from any point on the terrace because the rise is so shallow and that's alienated them completely and one I know, Zoe, says she's not coming again. The shelf at the back is a real problem but is the best vantage point for smaller kids who struggle to see above people even two steps below. With kids being the future of the club this is a real concern. The low roof should create a better noise level and atmosphere but sadly it doesn't. The sound fails to carry across (you can also barely hear the PA). There are also real worries over when its full and not just because of the lack of a view for many, it takes too long to get out and through too narrow a space to exit.

The truth is we were spoiled rotten by the North Stand, which was the best terrace in League 2, and, as someone else said had a true egalitarian feel to it because we felt the same as everyone else in the ground. I'll get used to the home end but I can see myself seeing several games from the Main Stand because it offers such an improvement from the home terrace. But the truth is I don't want it to be in there sitting down. I want to be with friends, having a laugh and catching up, which is 50% of the reason why I'm there, if not more if you throw in a proper pie, peas, chips and gravy.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Peter wrote:Me and Doris are making our debut on Saturday.
How should we spend the 2 hours before the game, and where's our best spot to stand?

Best spot to stand is in the main stand "sitting".

Go and see Mick in The York.
Good chance of seeing some Barnet lads in there, I may be going for my first pre-match pint of the season tomorrow, see you there.
morecambe mick

Postby poulton shrimp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 pm

think i might join you mick see how the wine and cheese taasting goes friday night might be a tad rough :lol:
poulton shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:08 pm

So, given that the home end, over a season, houses more than half of our home attendance, does anyone who uses it think it is as good or better than CP :?:

The overall impession on here seems to be a big no, anyone beg to differ :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Dysie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Having witnessed the North Stand being demolished that thursday in May, so quickly. It does make you think that with more planning alot of the materials within it (only 12 yrs old), could have been 're-cycled/saved' and utilised at the Globe, to help create a better home end. Whilst witnessing it's demise, Rod Taylor turned up and I attempted to offer him some empathy, knowing (as he did confirm) that it took up 2 yrs of his life overseeing the build of what was a fantastic structure. Were we more or as much proud of it when it opened than some are at the opening of the Globe Arena? Could be an interesting show of hands for the answer .....
Dysie

Postby mrpotatohead » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:20 pm

The reduction in size of the home terrace, combined with the loss of the paddock, streams regular fans into the non elite areas of the main stand, FACT.

The cheap seats in the main stand afford nice views on the pitch, and the opportunity to observe the great and good business community close up.

In five years time the executive boxes will be housing for unmarried mothers :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am

Old Man Kensey wrote:
Christies Child wrote:I always thought that support for the team was the main priority. Looks like I've been wrong. :roll:

To be fair a lot of people who I stand with are unhappy with what is on offer at the Globe for fans in the home end. Bearing in mind that we now pay more than we have ever done before to watch Morecambe we now find ourselves with worse facilities than we had in our conference days. The new Home End as others have pointed out offers a poorer view of the action than we had before and the facilities at the back of the stand are worse than we had before. People who I stand with, who didn’t follow the build of the stadium online, cannot believe the poor standard of what is on offer. The new main stand does look amazing but it should not have been built at the detriment of other match day users. I have heard various comments from people along the lines of ‘why are we paying extra for this?’, ‘for a new stand it’s not very good’ and most of all ‘why isn’t the bar inside?’
Going right back to the Unibond days I could get a drink inside the ground in a real bar. There is a feeling of being second class, which appears to be growing, which is something the club must address soon before the level of core support drops.

You havent mentioned the fantastic new Club shop? That is much better.

More staff on matchdays to help with any queries (including two on reception)

What about being able to go into a lovely brand new bar at the ground before the match? You couldnt do that before.

Some great drinks promotions. They were not there before.

Half time drinks are served from a hatch now rather than a caravan. Not a big deal is it?

The view is different possibly but only to the guys who stood at the back. Anyone who stood below two thirds up in the North Stand can get the same view.

Sorry fellas but it is coming across as either a bit of envy or sour grapes. The fact that so many have moved over to the Main Stand is indicitive that Morecambe FC have got it more right than ever before by offering more facilities and more choice.

Once we all get used to it and we start getting results, I am sure all of this will be forgotten.

This is the best we have ever had, trust me.
Happy Harry

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:50 am

Dysie wrote:Having witnessed the North Stand being demolished that thursday in May, so quickly. It does make you think that with more planning alot of the materials within it (only 12 yrs old), could have been 're-cycled/saved' and utilised at the Globe, to help create a better home end. Whilst witnessing it's demise, Rod Taylor turned up and I attempted to offer him some empathy, knowing (as he did confirm) that it took up 2 yrs of his life overseeing the build of what was a fantastic structure. Were we more or as much proud of it when it opened than some are at the opening of the Globe Arena? Could be an interesting show of hands for the answer .....

when you think the old North Stand cost around £550,000 12 years ago it makes you wonder why something similar couldnt have been constructed at the Globe. It had lots of wheelchair space at the front without having to make huge bays like in the current home stand.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Old Man Kensey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:05 pm

As mentioned above everything on the outside is much better, it's on the inside problems arise.

No one's complaining about that.

What about being able to go into a lovely brand new bar at the ground before the match? You couldnt do that before.

Years ago the supporters club offered the very same. JB's could be used in the old conference days and was INSIDE the ground. No need to dash outside and round to the turnstile to get in before kick off.

The mobile bar behind the north stand often had promotions on.

Half time drinks are served from a hatch now rather than a caravan. Not a big deal is it?

In a new ground I'm afraid it is. With a new build there is just no excuse for not having a covered area when you've got a blank canvas to start with. When the cold of winter starts the facility is totally inadequate.

The view is different possibly but only to the guys who stood at the back. Anyone who stood below two thirds up in the North Stand can get the same view.

Disagree again. The roof is much lower and when teams , never Morecambe I may add, play high balls you have to wait to see where the ball is coming down.

Sorry fellas but it is coming across as either a bit of envy or sour grapes. The fact that so many have moved over to the Main Stand is indicitive that Morecambe FC have got it more right than ever before by offering more facilities and more choice.

No extra facilities offered to those behind the goals and that is what a lot of people are unhappy with.

Once we all get used to it and we start getting results, I am sure all of this will be forgotten.

I hope your right, although listening to people stood on the terrace I fear not.

Not the best home end we've ever had.
On a machine like this
Old Man Kensey

Postby George Dawes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:16 pm

all i would like to be done at the home end next summer after the season as finished, is them disabled bays to be looked at to give more room and a better feel behind goal to at least try and match the old north stand

and maybe look at a purpose built disabled paddock with all the facilities in the north stand got loads more room to play with there
George Dawes

Postby sgt major » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:30 pm

I think the ground experience will improve over the season, I just need to go in the North Terrace and I've been to all areas of the ground.

If anyone is missing the pie and peas experience you can always come and try ours out pre-match, watch the Sky game and then take the bus to the ground - oh yes - we are also listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide for 2011 ;)
sgt major

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I agree completely with most people about the home end, and all of Old Man Kenseys points. The MBW is a total step backwards in comparison to the North Stand at Christie. The view is terrible because the terracing is too shallow. This compounds when the stand gets fuller, It also takes forever to get out of the stand after the match. To me so many aspects inside the ground are really poorly designed; I don't think the architects will be winning many contracts on the basis of the Globe project. Happy Harry, you are missing the point so very badly. The club has spent a fortune, yet in many cases the average fans matchday experience is generally worse. Look at the crowd on Saturday if you don't believe me. (I've not even mentioned the lack of propper gravy for a change!)
RedRedWine1

Postby MfcChris » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Happy Harry, I admire your continuous enthusiasm and positivity for our club.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby BHmfc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:48 pm

After a couple of days of reflection, there is no way i'm NOT going to the football on Saturday. I'm not going to let the poor design of the MBW Stand keep me away, so myself and a couple of mates have decided to keep loyal to the terraces until the end of the season, however, if we still feel the way we do at the moment about the poor design and lack of facilities on the MBW, we will migrate (reluctantly) to the seats next season. From all the people i've talked to who have used the PM Stand, it appears to be a far better experience than the terracing. To try and finish on a constructive note, for me, a massive improvement to the MBW would be to put some sort of cover behind the stand, it would not only provide shelter but give the MBW a more professional feel. See you on Saturday.
BHmfc

Postby George Dawes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:01 pm

seriously the best place for the globe experience is in the north stand for the obvious reason

1/ no queues
2/ no view restrictions
3/ plenty of room
4/ uninterrupted views across the arena
5/ and a game of two-halfs
6/ pie peas n gravy
7/ and it's cheaper
8/ pay at the turnstiles
George Dawes

Postby al1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:12 pm

i think the globe arena is excellent and it will help the club strengthen in all areas.the main thing for me is that the club will survive to give entertainment to future generations,win lose or draw.its just a shame that we have a handful of negative people on here these days who knock the club all the time.they should try to be true supporters and help build the club up.'shrimper' is a fine example to follow,he is always promoting the club as much as he can.glen loves the club as i do,we would never have dreamt back in the 70s that we would be watching league football in a brand new ground one day.thanks to the chairman and directors we are doing that now.
al1

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:

As mentioned above everything on the outside is much better, it's on the inside problems arise.

No one's complaining about that.

Years ago the supporters club offered the very same. JB's could be used in the old conference days and was INSIDE the ground. No need to dash outside and round to the turnstile to get in before kick off.

The mobile bar behind the north stand often had promotions on.

In a new ground I'm afraid it is. With a new build there is just no excuse for not having a covered area when you've got a blank canvas to start with. When the cold of winter starts the facility is totally inadequate.

Disagree again. The roof is much lower and when teams , never Morecambe I may add, play high balls you have to wait to see where the ball is coming down.

No extra facilities offered to those behind the goals and that is what a lot of people are unhappy with.

I hope your right, although listening to people stood on the terrace I fear not.

Not the best home end we've ever had.

The best you can come up with is that the view isnt as good for a third of you at the back when teams play a high ball? :roll: Someone else said it was better with a lower roof for the atmosphere. You cant please everyone all of the time.

The admission fee is still the lowest in the league and wasnt put up when it should have been when we got promoted (IMO). This season was the logical time. I am sure you have been to many away grounds and been on worse terraces for more money!

The bar at the front is in a different class to most club houses (including pre FL JBs Bar). Its a bit naughty to disregard it as it is free to use!

Keep smiling and focus on the football on the pitch.
The only thing I will stand shoulder to shoulder with is the gravy situation if this hasnt been resolved! :)
Happy Harry

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion