O/T - National Sport

Re: O/T - National Sport

Postby Plain Peter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
The BBC sent more people to cover the Olympics than "Team GB" had their in all their teams.

Aye H_S, and half of them probably stayed out there for the Paralympics.
Plain Peter

Postby slackAlice » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Dazzer wrote:
slackAlice wrote: So if some mugs want to pay SKY / SETANTA thats their choice

That's a little harsh, I subscribe to Sky sports because watching sport is my hobby, when you look at the cost of some other hobbies I don't feel my £46 is bad value. (Look at saturday night terrestrial television - my god it's drivel.

I'd have to agree with you there Dazzer! it was a bit flippant and I used to have SKY myself for a time but got shut. What with the kids arguing about what they wanted on and the almost limitless number of channels showing crap I'd had enough.

They've got us sports fans just where they want us really now. You see I'm not really bothered about who I watch in a televised match - I'm just as happy watching Harrogate Railway Club FC Vs Mansfield Town [FA Cup] as I would be Arsenal Vs Man UTD - probably happier with the former. But above either I would much rather go and watch a live match even if its throwing it down or freezing cold.
I too love sport and whether its a race meeting , footy , rugby I'll save my brass and go to watch the real thing. But its choice and like you say SKY has brought sport to the masses for a price ! The other factor there of course is for the big matches most who want to go can't get tickets and then there's the housebound so ... your right it provides a service and looking at it from their point of view they are very successful.
And they don't like to lose a customer neither - they were on the phone every other day when I cancelled :lol:
slackAlice

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:11 pm

I would much rather watch a lower leauge team on TV them watch united v chelski
heysham_mfc

Postby pompeyred » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:29 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:I would much rather watch a lower leauge team on TV them watch united v chelski

Just look at that weekend in May last year. Saturday had 2 'big' clubs not daring to do anything except make a 3 yard pass all game. The sunday had 2 'small' clubs playing an open, free flowing good game with (arguably) the best goal ever scored at the new wemberly winning the game. In the FA Cup final both teams played like they wanted to avoid defeat more than win and in the Conferance Final both teams played like they wanted to win more than anything.
pompeyred

Postby durhamshrimp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:23 pm

If nobody subscribed to Sky they wouldn't have the money and it'd have to be on 'terrestrial'. But we all do, end of story.

With more and more channels and digital TV the model of terrestrial TV you mention is just about dead. If you want to watch these things you have to pay, that's what a free market economy is about.

On the other hand, go to the match itself. I did.
durhamshrimp

Postby cultured » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Given the points made I can assume that none of us pay £139.50 for their licence fees, which is actually more than the £119.88 that Setanta charge for the year. At least you get some sport for that, rather than the odd series of Dragon's Den and Top Gear.
cultured

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 pm

cultured wrote:Given the points made I can assume that none of us pay £139.50 for their licence fees, which is actually more than the £119.88 that Setanta charge for the year. At least you get some sport for that, rather than the odd series of Dragon's Den and Top Gear.

The TV Licence is a 'TV tax', you can't have Setanta or Sky without paying the TV tax, even if you have no way of watching the BBC. I'm not passing judgement regarding value for money, simply stating the position. I actually watch very little TV beyond the news (and Family Guy!) so if the option existed to not bother with BBC and not pay a licence fee, I'd probably miss Radio 4 the most.

I don't think that because it is the BBC it should be guaranteed access to England matches. If they believed they'd have a big enough audience, they'd probably have bid more for them. As it is, it's an excuse to go to the pub to watch them, and tonight I may do that... unles it's raining, in which case I can't be arsed!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion