Fantastic news

Re: Fantastic news

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:33 am

wijit wrote:There was no excuse to persist in starting with the player who should've done the most but was clear from the off he was goin g to do nothing. I would've rather had heskey than Rooney on that pitch after five minutes of the first game it was crystal clear we were getting sod all from him.
Heskey is incredibly under-rated by so many people, and to be frank, your above statement explains why so many of us are supporters and not managers. You have a forward who will take two defenders with him, make it bloody hard for them to get the ball and still get a half decent cross in. That isn't a non-producer, that is someone making good use of his own ability making space for someone with a better eye for goal.
The aspiration of the team should not dictate whether to take someone like Heskey, sometimes a player is worth taking purely because of what he does, and not what he doesn't do.

He's in the team as a striker.
International football is (or ought to be) about flair, skill, excitement and goals. Not a Laurel and Hardy act.
Agreed that Rooney was hopeless, but in knockout football if you're a striker then you've got to be able to adapt to the fact that a fellow striker is having a bad day, and score goals yourself. Not look like a lost soul.
Look at the teams that did well, they all had flair players in abundance, who weren't totally reliant on someone else taking opponents out of the picture.
If England continue with that 'steam-age' approach then guess how far we'll get in the future?
Plain Peter

Postby ezz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 am

What was rooney in the team as then? For a player raved about for carrying onee of the biggest club teams in the world why couldn't he pull his finger out and show some of that desire commentators rave about when playing for united.
And i'd rather us win the world cup playing crap but effective football, than go out in the last sixteen playing crap and in-effective football.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:59 am

ezz wrote:What was rooney in the team as then? For a player raved about for carrying onee of the biggest club teams in the world why couldn't he pull his finger out and show some of that desire commentators rave about when playing for united.

Indeed, a mystery. Perhaps he was worried about his court case.

ezz wrote:And i'd rather us win the world cup playing crap but effective football

Not much chance then.

ezz wrote:...than go out in the last sixteen playing crap and in-effective football.

England were lucky to get that far. It's only cos I said they'd not get past the first phase that they did :)
Plain Peter

Postby wonder shrimp » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:33 am

Peter wrote:England were lucky to get that far

i actually think that england were very unlucky in this tournament. rubbish and unlucky.

rio getting injured on first day of training was a big blow. (taking a half crocked ledley as replacement was probably a bad call, could be argued to be unlucky that it didn't pay off)

green's fumble was unlucky and effectively stopped us topping the group (that and the last minute US goal in the last group game so two bits of bad luck!).

the goal that wasn't given which would have had us level at HT against germany so not chasing the game.

england were definitely rubbish in this WC, but so were absolutely loads of teams. with a little bit of luck we could have got further and who knows how things might have worked out?
wonder shrimp

Previous

Return to General Discussion