New Stadium Costs

Re: New Stadium Costs

Postby nobbyshrimp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:07 pm

shrimper wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:I think you've got to question the spend on the project and where the money has gone. Yes we are getting more than just a stadium, but it's still a bit of a head scratcher when you try and cost out where all the money has gone. Obviously I'm basing this on what other clubs have paid, Burton Albion for example paid £7 million for there new stadium which isn't too much different to our own. They don't have the community facilities, but I can't equate those to a further £5 million plus the cost of a decent sized terrace with a roof along the north side of the ground. Does the £12 million figure include the loans that have been repaid to directors?

I'm usually 'with' you on most things but (and I know it was only a form of words, but..) I actually think we 'don't' have to question the spend.
I think we as supporters (and I really mean the town of Morecambe not us regulars) would have a bit of a cheek questioning the spend, to be honest.
This board, whatever our individual preferences for certain bits of the new stadium, is quite capable of assessing things and doing what's right (generally speaking - we're all human and maybe one or two things over the years could be slightly amended in hindsight). We can have our debate and input but really should just be grateful and let them get on with it. They have a track record which deserves our trust and, more than that, they are overseeing a development that we really have no right to even dream about, given the poor support the club gets.

If you look at Shrewsbury and Burton (which I think are two of the stadiums they've looked closely at), neither has the community facilities (therefore none of the income-generators) and neither has a main stand and function facilities quite as good as ours will be.

Shrewsbury's is a bigger, grander-looking stadium but a lot of money has been spent on all-seater stands where you could argue they don't need them (and which can only ever bring in money on match days) and, as I say, it lacks the five-a-side pitches, other sports courts and community building.

If some of the Sainsbury's money has been used to clear personal debts to individuals, I think that's good. As a club it makes no sense (as we've seen many, many times very recently) to owe money to anyone if you can avoid it.

Err..I think you need to re-think your answers having been to the excellent conference suites at Shrewsbury. I just hope ours are as good (I'm sure they will be) as Shrewsbury rake in a bloody fortune from theirs!!
http://www.shrewsburytown.com/page/Hosp ... 45,00.html
Shrewsbury also rent out ground to
http://www.powerleague.co.uk/
which also raises revenue
BUT
I much prefer the Morecambe Globe Arena for avenues of extra income and congratulate all concerned!
nobbyshrimp

Re: New Stadium Costs

Postby shrimper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Fair enough. I'll take your guidance on that. I was judging mainly on the photos of Shrewsbury and what I know of ours - but I think they'll at least be comparable.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Previous

Return to General Discussion