O/T Market or Department store

Re: O/T Market or Department store

Postby Suzi Quatro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:02 am

Bring back woolworths becasue it provided a quality service for many people as well as giving people value for money. It was a sad loss to our community.
Suzi Quatro

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 am

Suzi Quatro wrote:Bring back woolworths becasue it provided a quality service for many people as well as giving people value for money. It was a sad loss to our community.

how can we bring back woolworths .....its gone for goood????????????
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby campdave » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 am

Suzi Quatro wrote:Bring back woolworths becasue it provided a quality service for many people as well as giving people value for money. It was a sad loss to our community.

It wasn't a charity.
campdave

Postby MorecambeMickey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:29 pm

campdave wrote:

It wasn't a charity.

Which reminds me of this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGMqvUejg4
MorecambeMickey

Postby Suzi Quatro » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Posh wrote:Mick raises an interesting point. The closure of pools, markets, toilets, playgrounds, play schemes, festivals, support for arts organisations, venues and whole council departments is being overseen by not one political party or a coalition of a couple but by EVERY political party in the district. In other words not one of them - MBI, Lib Dem,Tory, Labour or Green - has the bottle to resign in protest or present an alternative set of policies to this disaster.

Our council is in crisis and no one has a clue what to do.

They are just more than happy to take thier Councillors allowance, attend nice functions and work together in a nice cosy P.R Cabinet. The Councillors themselves on the back benches just sit in a circle and follow thier leaders. I notice that the average age of our Councillors is 70, especially within the Morecambe Bay Independent Party.
Suzi Quatro

Postby scar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 am

Unfortunately anything associated with Tourism is classed by the Council as discretionary and therefore up for the chop!

I'm fully in favour of shutting Lancaster Market and Debenhams coming in instead, but do feel that the council can be doing more to encourage visitors to both Lancaster and Morecambe. Compared to many similar sized cities, we're very poor at promoting and catering for visitors.

As for Woolworths - another loss making venture loved by many but used by so few! Sounds like the Dome to me!
scar

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

Someone suggested to me these people....

http://www.ascostores.co.uk/

We have plans to launch 30 new Asco stores in the North of England over the next 3 years creating 3000 new jobs.

So many stores have closed down as a result of the recession that many city centres are feeling like ghost towns. We intend to rescue and refurbish empty properties. This works for us too because we can keep our costs low.

They weren't happy about it being a stallholder.
morecambe mick

Postby Loyalsupporter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Would Debenhams want a store with no huge car parking facility nearby though.

The demise of Lancaster Market would be good news for the Festival Market though.

I can't remeber how many spaces there are, but there is a car park ontop of the market.

I also heard that primark may have made enquiries into buying the building. (I dont know how true this is though)
Football League & We're Having A Laugh
Loyalsupporter

Previous

Return to General Discussion