Silence just isn't golden

Re: Silence just isn't golden

Postby KenH » Sun May 12, 2024 11:14 am

I think there's always going to be friction in any organisation that "bridges" the gap between a company/business and a community group. I know that there's a similar friction in charities where you get paid staff working alongside unpaid volunteers (often doing the same work!).

Although the club is technically a limited company/business, it does rely on volunteers as it couldn't survive if it had to pay market wages to everyone involved. It also has a kind of "artificial" income from the advertising/sponsorship etc., as many of the businesses aren't "buying" adverts/sponsorship for the usual returns, but are actually subsidising the club, more from goodwill than anything else.

I've often pondered whether the club would be better set up as a charity or community interest company, i.e. an entity without the profit making motive. Lots of other sports clubs, voluntary groups, museums, heritage centres, etc are set up like that, which opens up grants, charity gift aid tax relief, etc. I can only assume/presume that the EFL rules don't allow for clubs to be constituted in that way.
KenH

Postby Argumentative » Sun May 12, 2024 1:04 pm

Hi KenH
Interesting idea may be worth looking into. My only concern would be all the parties with vested interests from the share holders to some fans who think someone else should loose their money so they can watch football may disagree with you. For me it’s an excellent idea and good that someone here are thinking of ways the club may be saved.
Argumentative

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 am

Argumentative wrote:To compare a Football Club to a theatre is just ridiculous.
Supporting your local team can't be compared to anything
Ok then. I will compare it to any sporting event, any festival, any concert, the ballet, an opera going to a pub etc etc etc. they are all forms of entertainment just like football nothing more or less. Any of these events may grip you and evoke emotions, you can make friends at ether one of them, make memories all of what you said. What distresses me by what you describe by taking over your life sounds really unhealthy.
Genuine concern.

Thanks for the input, Jason.

Don't let the door bang you on the arse when you leave.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 am

Its now 10 days since Rod's interview, when he stated that something must happen in the next couple of weeks.

I really hope that something gives this week, we are long overdue some good news. I'm trying to remain upbeat despite the lack of communication.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby BHmfc » Mon May 13, 2024 9:48 am

Argumentative, you know nothing. To support a team, to really support a team means everything. For me with Morecambe it's going to my first match at Christie Park at a young age. I went with my Dad and our Alsation dog in the days when more than 300 spectators and 5 dogs was a large attendance. I remember doing a sponsored walk in the eighties to raise money for the club (yes we were broke even back then) I remember good times and bad times , I remember games at Chorley and Horwich and in recent times games against Sunderland and Derby. I remember coach and car trips all over the country visiting towns and cities I would never have seen if it was not for supporting Morecambe.I will be devastated if Morecambe no longer has a team. Ask any true supporter of any team what it would feel like to lose their team and the replies would be a real mixed bag of emotions . Once you support a club, that club is with you forever.
BHmfc

Postby black morse » Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 am

I left Morecambe when I was 18 and am still supporting them from a distance now I'm 80. I live on my own with no family but have several friends around and supporting Morecambe FC is a large part of my life these days. It's very true that football is more than a game....very much more :D
black morse

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed May 15, 2024 1:36 pm

A very good article with some new info coming from Rod

https://twitter.com/samcunningham/statu ... OMJzQ&s=19
BerlinWaller

Postby Old Man Kensey » Wed May 15, 2024 2:17 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:A very good article with some new info coming from Rod

https://twitter.com/samcunningham/statu ... OMJzQ&s=19

That's a good read (well not the contents of it anyway).

Not being a business person could someone tell me what Jason would get out of us going into administration?
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby redrobo » Wed May 15, 2024 2:28 pm

Does the owner ever read such articles...if so then he must have a thick skin when his former dealings in the Rugby world are similar to those we seem to be undergoing at our club.

I hoped that the American deal had some mileage but it appears to run its course and is no longer in the running.

£5m as quoted for our club is bloody ridiculous and should be no more than £2m at the outside.....but the owners are business people and will want as much for our club as possible which it seems from the outside looking in there appears to be a figure that depends on the wealth of the prospective owner or owners.

AS for a local consortium taking over.....I can only live in hope but is that just wishful thinking on my part
:?: :?: :?:

Most certainly something has to happen in the next few weeks leading up to June....but don't hold your breath.... :( :( :(
redrobo

Postby Hodgie1978 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:43 pm

Great article.
Can't wait for Argumentative Jason to give us his veiws on this.
Hodgie1978

Postby Billy bodger » Wed May 15, 2024 2:46 pm

The article posted is an up date from Rod’s interview with the radio. I take from it No movement yet, as anything that looks like something is happening is put on hold because the owner ‘is talking to Mr AN Other’. Well he’s been doing that for 2yrs now, so nothing new there. Mr AN Other must be playing Whittingham at his own game!!

Administration is still a possibility if Whittington does not finally act, the Club is paralysed by the situation and it needs someone to get it functioning again.

It’s a crying shame, for the Club, its supporters, BOD’s , its staff and the town.

If the Club goes into Administration and its assets are sold off how does that in any way help Whiitingham? Except for it writing off his personal debts!! Is that what he is playing at??
Billy bodger

Postby BerlinWaller » Wed May 15, 2024 3:07 pm

I have taken a more positive view than some. It is good to know that there are interested parties and that there has been movement. I wonder who released the info to Mr Nixon regarding the USA based interest?

It is the first bit of real journalism done on the clubs plight and has had some large viewing numbers. I'd like to see the local press more on the front foot rather than just saying that the Clown won't talk to them
BerlinWaller

Postby Catte » Thu May 16, 2024 10:06 am

Having been through this scenario it feels like a death by a thousand cuts and I feel your pain.

Football clubs are in a unusual position when it comes to taking their Customers with them as stated above. In general (Not all cases) fans can vote with their feet but not their hearts. If my team had fallen into the abyss as on numerous occasions we were hours perhaps minutes away from I could have watched Football elsewhere but would I? Probably not.

Clubs know that fans are unlikely to walk, and they use this knowledge to an extent even if not consciously to get away with lack of communication.

When we went through this it was truly horrible, the lack of information indeed waiting for reports on the court actions in the local paper being the closest we came to being in the know. I wish you well swerve anything written by Nixon 10% knowledge, 20 % hearsay and 70% BS but it pays his mortgage.
Catte

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu May 16, 2024 10:19 am

Nixon is a pain in the a**e but may have some contacts.

I think players' agents pay him to start rumours about their "clients" !

When we had trouble with Stockton wanting to move to Fleetwood he said Morecambe were stopping him from increasing his earnings. I pointed out to him on twitter that in the Summer of 2021 Stockton was a free agent and could have signed for any club that wanted to offer him a deal. Instead Cole signed a 2 year contract to stay at Morecambe and we were honouring that contract. Nixon then blocked me on twitter !!
Gone_Shrimping

Postby black morse » Thu May 16, 2024 10:29 am

We are all desperate for news but I dread it coming! :roll: Silence may not be golden but at least it leaves us with some hope.
black morse

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu May 16, 2024 10:36 am

black morse wrote:We are all desperate for news but I dread it coming! :roll: Silence may not be golden but at least it leaves us with some hope.

Maybe the old saying no news is good news , let's hope so.

Surely JW must be doing something to resolve this , hopefully accepting an offer for his shares. He will know that payrolls are coming up on 28th May and 28th June and the moment a business can't pay its staff it is finished :( :(
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Thu May 16, 2024 11:36 am

I go to bed every night hoping that tomorrow there will be the news we ALL want....

Wake up in the morning and log on first thing just to see what others are saying....

Lunchtime and the wait is getting ridiculous.....

Early evening and the club has closed its doors for business that day.....but still no news....

I go to bed every night etc etc etc....

This waiting to hear something positive is getting ridiculous and the longer it goes on....the worse my expectations are mounting....No blame on our BoDs who must be at their wits end waiting for news themselves..... :( :( :(
redrobo

Postby black morse » Thu May 16, 2024 11:49 am

redrobo wrote:I go to bed every night hoping that tomorrow there will be the news we ALL want....

Wake up in the morning and log on first thing just to see what others are saying....

Lunchtime and the wait is getting ridiculous.....

Early evening and the club has closed its doors for business that day.....but still no news....

I go to bed every night etc etc etc....

This waiting to hear something positive is getting ridiculous and the longer it goes on....the worse my expectations are mounting....No blame on our BoDs who must be at their wits end waiting for news themselves..... :( :( :(

I do exactly the same RR. :lol: :cry:
black morse

Postby vvm » Thu May 16, 2024 11:52 am

It is crazy how just weeks and weeks pass with almost no info. The new season will be starting before we know it.
vvm

Postby Billy bodger » Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 pm

The new season will be with us soon you are right, where will we be?

All Morecambe fans and all the other teams are wondering like U2 “with or without you”!!

The Silence is a clock ticking, the Club continuing to take money, let’s hope that money is not wasted as the 28th May is less than a fortnight away.
Billy bodger

Postby Seasider9601 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:49 pm

Some teams have today released details of their pre season fixtures as well.... :(
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Thu May 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:Some teams have today released details of their pre season fixtures as well.... :(
anybody playing Charlie brown I mean mfc??
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby P/T Indie » Thu May 16, 2024 6:59 pm

I was expecting something the Tue after the bank holiday but nope and it's just dragged on.

I'm worried the longer the silence the less time we have to react where the shit hits the fan. We are just sleepy into disaster.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Redalert1970 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:05 pm

Fear the worst ... hope for the best
Redalert1970

Postby Billy bodger » Fri May 17, 2024 10:33 am

SILENCE IS BROKEN! Hope eternal. Gwion Edward’s has signed a Two yr contract.

We have doubled our playing staff.

A big shout out to Gwion for agreeing a contract, I hope he continues to reduce on the field, he really does have it in him to play at a higher level.

This has the possibility that if it needs be and he wants to we can sell him.

I never got the 1yr contracts last year, short vision on somebody’s behalf.
Billy bodger

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion