Congratulations North Stand

Re: Congratulations North Stand

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm

The atmosphere was fantastic yesterday and in true shrimpsvoices style, people have to find something bad, put a negative spin on things and destroy the good feeling that the North stand had done its job. :evil:
Bare Ben

Postby badger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:25 am

I think the north stand on tuesday night made a lot of noise. i think it was the best so far this season. us in the north stand try to keep the atmosphere going even when we are getting beat.

I would like to see the main stand making a bit more of an effort and try making some noise, they just sit there like a load of cardboard cut out's.
badger

Postby marky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:31 am

Because that is what they choose to do. If they wanted to be amongst noisy folk, they'd stand in the North Stand.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 am

badger wrote:I think the north stand on tuesday night made a lot of noise. i think it was the best so far this season. us in the north stand try to keep the atmosphere going even when we are getting beat.

I would like to see the main stand making a bit more of an effort and try making some noise, they just sit there like a load of cardboard cut out's.

I think the "singers" in the north stand under performed on Tuesday night.

I looked around trying to get them to sing and the only thing that came to mind was pathetic.

Ben you don't sing at accy because of rivalry, it is because of hatred I wish Brian had got a photo of you whilst you were singing at them. The loathing in your eyes was scary.

I think I'll stand down near the front and let you lot get on with it.
BTW the drum is in my car.
morecambe mick

Postby The Red Knight » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:58 am

I think the only solution to this to keep certain people happy is for the only songs to be sung on Saturday are come on Morecambe and the Morecambe, maybe we can do some clapping as well.

Some people on here need to get real, this is a singing at a football ground we're talking about, not a night at the opera.

For what it's worth I used to be quite vocal on the terraces but have given up completely in the past couple of years and moved to a different part of the ground due to all the bickering between certain factions of our support over pety things such as the use of swear words in songs.

I don't know whats sparked this seeming split in support but I can remember only a few years ago everyone used to be as one on the terraces and sing offensive songs (anyone remember the song about having to wear a hat with fuck the Southport on it?) without anyone moaning.

Now it just seems that a certain faction of our support take pleasure in putting the singers down for pretty much everything, from the content of the lyrics to the unoriginallity of the songs!!! Unbelievable, as I said, this is a football game were at, theres supposed to be a bit of a partisan feel to it which I feel has been lost in the past few years which is a great shame.
The Red Knight

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:38 am

morecambe mick wrote:
badger wrote:I think the north stand on tuesday night made a lot of noise. i think it was the best so far this season. us in the north stand try to keep the atmosphere going even when we are getting beat.

I think the "singers" in the north stand under performed on Tuesday night.

I looked around trying to get them to sing and the only thing that came to mind was pathetic.

Ben you don't sing at accy because of rivalry, it is because of hatred I wish Brian had got a photo of you whilst you were singing at them. The loathing in your eyes was scary.

I think I'll stand down near the front and let you lot get on with it.
BTW the drum is in my car.

well said Mick. Ben started three chants of "you're the scum of Lancashire" to Rochdale fans and was pretty much on his own by the end.

You're not having fun you're being nasty and it gives you and a handful of others pleasure. In my view it makes you and us by association look stupid and unpleasant.

About 20 people sing the abuse and a couple of hundred the big positive chants. So its pretty obvious what makes more noise.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby mfc:) » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 am

At least the atmosphere from the ground has been better then last season i think and it doesent harm if people are complaining at us who dont sing then join in!!
mfc:)

Postby The Fury » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11 am

The Red Knight wrote:I think the only solution to this to keep certain people happy is for the only songs to be sung on Saturday are come on Morecambe and the Morecambe, maybe we can do some clapping as well.

Some people on here need to get real, this is a singing at a football ground we're talking about, not a night at the opera.

For what it's worth I used to be quite vocal on the terraces but have given up completely in the past couple of years and moved to a different part of the ground due to all the bickering between certain factions of our support over pety things such as the use of swear words in songs.

I don't know whats sparked this seeming split in support but I can remember only a few years ago everyone used to be as one on the terraces and sing offensive songs (anyone remember the song about having to wear a hat with fuck the Southport on it?) without anyone moaning.

Now it just seems that a certain faction of our support take pleasure in putting the singers down for pretty much everything, from the content of the lyrics to the unoriginallity of the songs!!! Unbelievable, as I said, this is a football game were at, theres supposed to be a bit of a partisan feel to it which I feel has been lost in the past few years which is a great shame.

Indeed, clearly there are a select self-righteous few in the North Stand who take it upon themselves to denigrate the younger lads, who have taken it upon themselves to create an atmosphere, and their chanting, irrespective of the quality of song. I thought the Sex Pistols song at Nottm Forrest wasn't too bad, actually, but it was mocked stupendously around me. Fair play to them, I say, at least they were trying to inject some noise and fun on to the terraces; something which has been sadly lacking for a number of years now – bring back Mike Saban!

However, this works both ways. As that game at Nottm Forrest progressed, it became more and more obvious that a number of the earlier mentioned younger supporters weren’t watching the game at all but were glaring at the Forest fans with hatred emanating from their souls! Bare Ben, in particular, as Morecambe Mick has previously stated, had a look of pure venom in his eye. I thought he was going to start drooling and attempt to shag the nearest floodlight stanchion, such was his likeness to a Rottweiler.

Partisanship is a necessary ingredient of supporting a sports team, but where is the cut off point between banter and hatred? It seems this has been lost in translation to a few.
The Fury

Postby The Red Knight » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:31 am

The Fury wrote:Indeed, clearly there are a select self-righteous few in the North Stand who take it upon themselves to denigrate the younger lads, who have taken it upon themselves to create an atmosphere, and their chanting, irrespective of the quality of song. I thought the Sex Pistols song at Nottm Forrest wasn't too bad, actually, but it was mocked stupendously around me. Fair play to them, I say, at least they were trying to inject some noise and fun on to the terraces; something which has been sadly lacking for a number of years now – bring back Mike Saban!

I completely agree. I remember at the time thinking it was good and something a bit different (ok FCUM sing it and a few others but there aren't many) but then it got shot down in flames by other people and it was never heard of again.

It just seems to me that some of our supporters don't like the way this football club has gone in the past couple of years in terms of moving out of the non league days where you were friends with all the other teams fans and are doing their best to knock down any of the younger / newer fans who weren't part of that.

Family club my arse.
The Red Knight

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 pm

badger wrote:I would like to see the main stand making a bit more of an effort and try making some noise, they just sit there like a load of cardboard cut out's.

Yes but they were more in tune than you were 8-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/cont ... ture.shtml

Somebody else has got 2 drums in the stand

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/L ... 40,00.html
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:36 pm

The Red Knight wrote:I completely agree. I remember at the time thinking it was good and something a bit different (ok FCUM sing it and a few others but there aren't many) but then it got shot down in flames by other people and it was never heard of again.

It just seems to me that some of our supporters don't like the way this football club has gone in the past couple of years in terms of moving out of the non league days where you were friends with all the other teams fans and are doing their best to knock down any of the younger / newer fans who weren't part of that.

Noticeably you never responded to The Fury's point about certain fans going too far, and for those of us who've made comments, this is the only problem. Funny songs about being from Accrington - fine, taking the piss out of the keeper - fine, unbridled pointless abuse of opposition fans - not fine. It doesn't matter whether it's non-league or not I don't like offensive, abusive chanting which seems to stem from the same sociopathic hatred and loathing which undermines a lot of what is commonly called 'anti-social behaviour'.

On the general point I think the singers did a fantastic job on Tuesday (for which I joined in most things). There were a few lads last season who chucked in some funny chants, started the shoes, the very funny afternoon with the slow versions of songs and it would be nice to see them back. Other than that brilliant bar the nasty stuff.

The Red Knight wrote:Family club my arse.

Yeah! Let's encourage more kids to sing aggressive songs about the opposition fans that include the word f***. That'll definitely make us more family orientated.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:41 pm

The Red Knight wrote:It just seems to me that some of our supporters don't like the way this football club has gone in the past couple of years in terms of moving out of the non league days where you were friends with all the other teams fans and are doing their best to knock down any of the younger / newer fans who weren't part of that.

Or, they are trying to introduce to those fans the concept of respect for others, that you can have fun and good craic without "hating" other people who you've never met, simply because they support a different club?

The other thing for the 'offensive song singers' to consider is that when they complain about others not joining in, it may be a very good reason for not doing so?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby The Red Knight » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Noticeably you never responded to The Fury's point about certain fans going too far, and for those of us who've made comments, this is the only problem. Funny songs about being from Accrington - fine, taking the piss out of the keeper - fine, unbridled pointless abuse of opposition fans - not fine. It doesn't matter whether it's non-league or not I don't like offensive, abusive chanting which seems to stem from the same sociopathic hatred and loathing which undermines a lot of what is commonly called 'anti-social behaviour'.

On the general point I think the singers did a fantastic job on Tuesday (for which I joined in most things). There were a few lads last season who chucked in some funny chants, started the shoes, the very funny afternoon with the slow versions of songs and it would be nice to see them back. Other than that brilliant bar the nasty stuff.

What exactly has been sung that's so offensive? Asking people if they take it up the arse? Singing "we hate Stanley", please, that's common place at most grounds. As I said previously, we're not non league anymore playing in front of 500 people at Farnborough where we all shake hands in the bar afterwards and have a good laugh with each other.

Yeah! Let's encourage more kids to sing aggressive songs about the opposition fans that include the word f***. That'll definitely make us more family orientated.

Surely part a family club isn't just about attracting families to games, it's also about treating your fellow supporters as family as well? The constant hounding of certain individuals on here such as Bare Ben (Sorry to pick you out Bare Ben but you seem to be the best example) for simply trying to get an atmosphere going is surely counter productive? If you were a casual fan and came to the game, started having a good time, joined in with a few anti-opposition chants and then had someone shouting at you for being too offensive I don't think I'd bother coming back. As I mentioned in my previous post I've already moved to another part of the ground as I've got fed up of the bickering, if I didn't care so much about Morecambe then I may have given up going all together.

Or, they are trying to introduce to those fans the concept of respect for others, that you can have fun and good craic without "hating" other people who you've never met, simply because they support a different club?

The other thing for the 'offensive song singers' to consider is that when they complain about others not joining in, it may be a very good reason for not doing so?

Who are any of us to start trying to dictate to other supporters what they can and can't sing at a football game? I certainly don't see myself as some kind of authority figure that can dictate to others how they should support our football club. If people want to come and sing about hating Accrington then that's fine by me as long as they pay their money, they can sing about goats for 90 minutes for all I care! Surely it's the stewards job to deal with anyone as they see fit if they feel things are getting out of control. Singing about hating your local rivals and asking if the oppositions manager takes it up the arse is hardly cause for concern.

Try going to Old Trafford and telling them not to hate Liverpool fans. Do the same at White Hart Lane with Arsenal etc etc and see how far you get.
The Red Knight

Postby Aspers » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Singing about hating your local rivals and asking if the oppositions manager takes it up the arse is hardly cause for concern.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I rest my case mlud in the people V common decency
Aspers

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:38 pm

The Red Knight wrote:...they can sing about goats for 90 minutes for all I care!

Why would they want to sing about Wrexham? :roll:

You are still missing the point. You are suggesting that it's their 'freedom' to shout whatever they want, yet it is not the 'freedom' of others to tell them they think they are wrong to do so? Also, you appear to be suggesting that there is something 'wrong' with being 'friendly', something inherently 'non-league'*? I'd suggest this is actually something that can be learned by the Football League clubs, so perhaps you could consider us to be 'trend setters'. It's football, not war, so why not leave the hatred in the eighties?

*I remember in the early eighties, my dad & I going to watch Morecambe v Frickly. He was in a work van with "Morecambe" address on the side. We came out from the game, THAT THEY HAD WON and found someone had put all his lights out. If we'd won they'd probably have torched it!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby campdave » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Good on the people who try to get at atmosphere going, but it does get tedious when people bang on about how others don't join in. People pay to watch the football, not join in some extended choir practice.

Personally I find football chants dull - hardly any originality, people just sing everyone else's songs with the words slightly changed. I might join in occasioanlly, but I just can't be arsed most of the time. But if people want to sing, let them sing, but the people doing the singing can't expect everyone to join in all the time, especially some of the songs being sung - the "do you take it up the arse" chant is pathetic and homophobic (hiding behind "every other set of fans sing it" doesn't alter the fact).

Of course, it's difficult to get chants going when the team are playing poorly like they have recently (I noticed on Saturday at Port Vale how good the support was when we were playing much better than we have recently).

I always look at the Northern Irish supporters of the national team as an example, who get behind their team in a positive way, and create an amazing atmosphere by singing positive songs about their side rather than running down the opposition team or fans. Doing something like that is much more my cup of tea.

My favourite chant of Tuesday night was the "you're not singing anymore" chant just after we'd scored, when the accrington fans quite audibly WERE singing 8-)

I hope no one takes this personally, as people should be commended for trying to create an atmosphere, I just think a little consideration of why people don't join in is needed.
campdave

Postby cultured » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:02 pm

"do you take it up the arse" chant is pathetic and homophobic

Pathetic probably, but it's more of a question really.
cultured

Postby ezz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:31 pm

there's different sets of fans, those who sing and those who dont. Those who sing are the ones that gather behind ther goals in the north stand and most of the time it does filter out abit to others who get involved and this is where the atmosphere comes from. Personally football is boring without atmosphere regardless fo what you sing. Some people take it too seriously about what is sung, i personally dont think it matters what is sung as long as its all banter etc not malicious or out of order. What is sung in the stadium stays in the stadium.

As it always has been singing songs good or bad has always been the football culture, i wouldn't bother going to matches if there was no atmosphere but what i would like to hear is the north stand in full voice singing bring me sunshine before and during the game in the style that liverpool sing you'l never walk alone. Think it would sound amazing and original if we got that particular song as loud as possible.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Phoenix » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 pm

What is sung in the stadium stays in the stadium.

If only! It's heard clearly at my parents house and my girlfriends house.
Phoenix

Postby steve mfc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I don't think its a coincidence that the songs that most people join in with and consequently are sung the loudest are the ones in support of Morecambe.

But its an argument that nobody can win, neither side will convince the other that they are right.

Lets concentrate on getting behind the team , after all they need as much encouragement and vocal support at the moment as is possible.

Its not the time for splits and divisions in the support, lets put the good of the team first and stop these petty arguments.
steve mfc

Postby Posh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:12 pm

The Red Knight wrote:What exactly has been sung that's so offensive? Asking people if they take it up the arse? Singing "we hate Stanley", please, that's common place at most grounds. As I said previously, we're not non league anymore playing in front of 500 people at Farnborough where we all shake hands in the bar afterwards and have a good laugh with each other.

I have lots of friends who support other teams. When I meet my Rochdale friend I don't say to him 'you're the scum of Lancashire', because he isn't and neither is his team. So why sing it?

I don't want to be friends with everyone but I'm incredibly glad I've met and know a lot of fans from other teams (including from League 2). I'd much rather be drinking with them having a laugh and talking about football than hurling abuse at them, fighting them or scurrying around terrified about which pub I can and can't have a drink in before a game.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby slackAlice » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Family club my arse.

Whatever you might think about the concept of a 'Family Club' is neither here nor there , thats Morecambe F C 's ambition. What the present ground hasn't got is a 'Family area' and when the new ground arrives we'll hopefully have that area. At the moment regular fans like myself who want to go in the North Stand have to put up with the Fu*king and effing and shite chants. If I take my young daughters they won't go in the North Stand and we have to go in the Main Stand which I hate. If I take my son he wants to go in the middle of the North Stand for the DRUM'S , balloons and atmosphere , shoes off etc. He's 8 and he even asks me why do they swear so much.

Now every club will have a slack handful of 'nutters' who want to goad opposition fans into a frenzy of hatred , its always been my experience that the most prominent of these are usually the first on their toes in the unlikely event it spills over into something even more unpleasant.

If you should want to travel the country's football grounds looking for friction I'm pretty sure you'll find some sooner or later and get a good slap across the lug - its never as glamorous as 'Green Street' when it happens neither, its not a staightener between two evenly matched supporters , more likely well out numbered and chased down some back street and given a good hiding.

The majority of Morecambe fans , at least the ones I know , will actually enjoy meeting opposing fans at home or away matches, talking football and their pre match thoughts , how the season's going for us and them etc. Morecambe are brand new to the league and its all about first impressions - the fact Morecambe got that 'title' of friendliest fans is I believe something the 'supporters' can be really proud of. I had a chat with quite a few Port Vale and the ones I met were great - the woman selling the poppy's made a point of telling me 'what a lovely bunch of fans WE were - generous , funny , chatty.
It all depends what you want I suppose but I genuinely believe if you want to shout abuse and wind up opposition fans you might have the wrong club , even the wrong decade. There's always going to be debates about what songs are alright and what are not - is it OK to tell Chester fans 'their Welsh and they know they are' ?? Or Bradford fans 'their interbred yorkshire scum' ????? The good chants are 'Sammy Macs - Barmy Army' , 'Twist & Shout' I think is good - but thats me.
You'll probably find though that the minority who want to sing 'Do you take it up the ....' will carry on with even more gusto - in relation to how often its mentioned on here.
slackAlice

Postby Sammy h » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:47 pm

I see and understand both points of view here. Just a question for you all here, doesn't mean i agree with the song, but how many of you sang "do you take it up the ar*e" to Tony Roberts?

All up and down the country you are going to get these songs regardless, i just think sometimes we feel it is forbidden as we have won this "friendly club" award or whatever it is.

But, then again obviously you can tell and hear which songs make the most noise and there are two that stand out, Sammy Macs barmy army, and also na na na Morecambe.

But then again, i couldn't care less aslong as it's noisy.
Sammy h

Postby The Fury » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Sammy h wrote:I see and understand both points of view here. Just a question for you all here, doesn't mean i agree with the song, but how many of you sang "do you take it up the ar*e" to Tony Roberts?

All up and down the country you are going to get these songs regardless, i just think sometimes we feel it is forbidden as we have won this "friendly club" award or whatever it is.

But, then again obviously you can tell and hear which songs make the most noise and there are two that stand out, Sammy Macs barmy army, and also na na na Morecambe.

But then again, i couldn't care less aslong as it's noisy.

Interesting topic, the first point you raise. Personally, I don't find that song offensive at all - as some on here clearly do, which is fair enough - and feel it is sung with humour is the prevailing notion behind it - i.e. not venomous. First coined to good ol' Lawrence Batty at Woking, wasn't it?

What I do find utterly cringe-worthy is that "wanker, wanker" 'chant' that is aimed at the opposition goalkeeper or referee. What a totally puerile piece of garbage that is. The same with "You're support is fcuking sh**". Oh, how I despise that. Why is it so prevalent around the Country? Again, when the keeper takes a goal kick: "You're sh**, aaah". It makes us look like a bunch of brainless buffoons.

There were, once upon a time, a few witty chants recited to the opposition fans all in the name of banter. That is what needs to be reintroduced, I think. Not needless hate.
The Fury

Postby marky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:07 pm

I could be wrong, but is it the younger element starting the majority of the negative stuff? Reading comments on here, it does seem that people who've supported the club for many years (I think I may just about qualify here given it stands at 15 for me) are the ones who find some of the chanting unsavoury. That's not to say that swearing in songs is new, because it definitely isn't. But I must admit the Scum of Lancashire song was utterly pathetic. How's that supporting OUR team?
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion