Re: Jimbo! Jimbo! JIMBO!!!

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Robbie Fowler 40/1!
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby ockers » Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm

12/1 john coleman interesting..............
ockers

Postby mounse mk2 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Uwe Rosler?
Paul Ince??
Mark Wright???
Tony Capaldi??????????????????????????????????????????????????
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby Old Man Kensey » Mon May 09, 2011 5:03 pm

mounse mk2 wrote:Uwe Rosler?
Paul Ince??
Mark Wright???
Tony Capaldi??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Capaldi 20/1. How did I miss that one!
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby shrimper » Mon May 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:and there off...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager

5/2 fav...

Mark Wright!!!???

I never thought I'd ever say this but if they appointed him I wouldn't set foot in the place. Honestly.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Sammy h » Mon May 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Capaldi 20/1? Mark wright!!!!!

These bookies are idiots!
Sammy h

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Sammy h wrote:Capaldi 20/1? Mark wright!!!!!

These bookies are idiots!

Had to :lol: at that.
heysham_mfc

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm

shrimper wrote:
Old Man Kensey wrote:and there off...

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/foo ... nt-manager

5/2 fav...

Mark Wright!!!???

I never thought I'd ever say this but if they appointed him I wouldn't set foot in the place. Honestly.

Blimey bad blood runs deep! :lol:
HALMA 1983

Postby Sammy h » Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Jimbo 5/2, I'm off to put 2k on it.
Sammy h

Postby Dragofly » Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Next manager - Graham Alexander - not on the list
Dragofly

Postby marky » Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 pm

No, no and no. We need someone with fresh eyes who doesn't have any preconceived ideas about individuals, etc. Promoting from within does sometimes work and I have no doubt that Jim Bentley will make an excellent manager one day (hopefully for us) but now is not the time.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm

I weighed it all up before I posted, Marky, and I thought about what we need. Yes he has ideas about the current squad but we don't know what they are.

If, for example, he thinks that only a few of them have the ability and commitment to the cause to do us a good job and has a list of players he thinks he could bring in, as well as a commitment to do the scouting and chasing needed to get others in, then at least he has that knowledge NOW, after getting to know them all over a long period of time - not just a few training sessions for a new manager - and can do something about it quickly.

It may be that he's had those preconceptions for a while but, of course, has never been in a position to do anything about it.

Of course he could offer all that knowledge to a new boss, as an assistant, but a new boss may want to bring in his own man.

Not saying he IS definitely the right man for the job right now and I do see the risks - but there's no certainty with any new manager and it's a balancing job between their various attributes.

I just hope we don't appoint someone who's done the rounds and for whom we're just another club on the CV (and, as I say, I do trust the board).
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby dazza » Mon May 09, 2011 6:10 pm

heres a silly but not so silly one........jimbo to be assisted by tony hesketh,,,,,excellent man manager.....excellent coach.....and along with jims knowledge of players and the respect he has by all at the club,,,,,,,!!!!!
****dazza****
dazza

Postby marky » Mon May 09, 2011 6:14 pm

I wouldn't be upset if they did appoint Jim Bentley. Afterall, the guy's a legend. I just feel we need a complete change and that the slate needs to be wiped completely clean. Jim's going to be at the club no matter what. There's no way Peter McGuigan would allow otherwise. His input will be crucial but I'd rather he was advising a new person to the club. We're at a stage where we are needing to totally rebuild our squad. It could go horribly wrong and I would hate for Jim Bentley to be the man that happened to. I'd much rather he inherited an already good quality squad and setup which he can add to and improve (much in the way Sammy McIlroy did).
marky

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon May 09, 2011 6:19 pm

I think it would be difficult for Jim to go from being "one of the lads" as a team-mate to suddenly being the man who has to bollock them when necessary and give them bad news over contracts and not selecting them in the team.

I think it needs a whole new management team to come in.

John Coleman as boss with Jimmy Bell as his assistant

Liam Watson as chief scout (he could continue to manage Southport in BSN)

Jim Bentley as player coach and reserve team manager.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon May 09, 2011 6:20 pm

marky wrote:No, no and no. We need someone with fresh eyes who doesn't have any preconceived ideas about individuals, etc. Promoting from within does sometimes work and I have no doubt that Jim Bentley will make an excellent manager one day (hopefully for us) but now is not the time.

Bloody hell Marky, you're managing to be negative about the next manager even before the next manager is appointed!!! That's impressive negativity, even by your standards! To suggest that Jim is going to think exactly as Sammy did is a nonsense. Jim would have done as Sammy expected him to because it was Sammy's call. I do things that my boss tells me to because she's my boss. Sometimes I don't agree but if it isn't my call, tough. I would expect Marky, that you don't always agree with your boss but I would expect that you do as they ask of you? If your boss left and you were promoted, would you do exactly the same as now or would you have your own ideas?

Come on, you've not liked Jim Harvey, you've not liked Sammy McIllroy. Is there anyone who you actually WOULD like to manage Morecambe FC?

I agree with the sensible posters, such as Shrimper, that there would be risk in posting someone who is untried but there have been many excellent young managers who have been successful (Eddie Howe anyone?)
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Ideally for me Jimbo learning from an experienced 'older' head who knows that he's coming in as the teacher of our future manager!

Stuart Metcalfe the former Rovers and Blackpool caretaker for instance.

However if it is Jimbo, he'd bring all sections of the club together which would be a good thing.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby MfcChris » Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Why isn't Sammy H on that bookies list?
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby MfcChris » Mon May 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Keith wrote:
marky wrote:No, no and no. We need someone with fresh eyes who doesn't have any preconceived ideas about individuals, etc. Promoting from within does sometimes work and I have no doubt that Jim Bentley will make an excellent manager one day (hopefully for us) but now is not the time.

Bloody hell Marky, you're managing to be negative about the next manager even before the next manager is appointed!!! That's impressive negativity, even by your standards! To suggest that Jim is going to think exactly as Sammy did is a nonsense. Jim would have done as Sammy expected him to because it was Sammy's call. I do things that my boss tells me to because she's my boss. Sometimes I don't agree but if it isn't my call, tough. I would expect Marky, that you don't always agree with your boss but I would expect that you do as they ask of you? If your boss left and you were promoted, would you do exactly the same as now or would you have your own ideas?

Come on, you've not liked Jim Harvey, you've not liked Sammy McIllroy. Is there anyone who you actually WOULD like to manage Morecambe FC?

I agree with the sensible posters, such as Shrimper, that there would be risk in posting someone who is untried but there have been many excellent young managers who have been successful (Eddie Howe anyone?)

Accy some us up perfectly.

'A good club, but riddleed with rubbish in the stands.'
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Negative Ned is on first name terms with the board.

I wonder who he wants :o :o :o
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky » Mon May 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Keith, since when is disagreeing with you classified as negative? I'm actually bottling up my positivity about the fact we're even having this discussion as I didn't think it would be appropriate. Whoever takes over will have my full support, that I can guarantee. I just believe that it should be Jim Bentley at this stage.
marky

Postby shrimper » Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 pm

:lol:
Aye - bit harsh Keith! I think Marky's making good points.

As for Jim not being able to detach himself from his preconceptions and his matiness with the current squad... well, good points. Also does he have the contacts around the game and at clubs we might trawl for loan players?

I don't know. I would want Jim to answer those points to my satisfaction at an interview before making an appointment.

My main point is that it's 'someone' with the drive, the passion and the commitment to work every hour available and give our playing staff and structure an overhaul and only to bring in players with the right attitude who we need. Also to see it as a long-term commitment and bring a long-term strategy.

We KNOW Jimbo has that kind of commitment in spades and, just as some need to be convinced he can bring other qualities, I'D want to be convinced any other potential manager has all those attributes before I'd consider them in preference.
shrimper

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm

I think Jimbo doesn't quite have enough managerial experience yet. Give it a few years and he'll be able to take us to the champions league :D :D :D
Little Shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

marky wrote:No, no and no.

I think it was the start of your post that I took as being negative rather than 'debate'! :roll: Perhaps you could have started with 'I disagree because...'? :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Alexander wants to carry on playing as long as possible, has the coaching badges and masses of contacts at a higher level, ticks all the boxes for us, and will want to leave burnley as he wants games, preston might want him back now though, so we would need to act quick.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion