Penalty Incident

Re: Penalty Incident

Postby shrimper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
shrimper wrote:I thought they were a better side than us with strength and a bit of pace all over the park.

But I also thought we played well going forward and created a lot of decent chances, even in the first half before they got in front we had a few.

There was some slack defending and tracking back, which led to at least two of their goals.

I didn't at the time and still don't think it was a penalty. I think Ainsworth (who played superbly all game) used his experience and played for the pen and got it. Looking at it again confirms that. I don't think Gary did anything wrong, in fact he looked to stand still and NOT give away a pen - Ainsworth pushed it forward and leapt over him, another ref would have booked him.

All said I think we've played worse than that and won this season and think if we continue making as many chances we can get the four or so points I think we need to survive.

The future is another story.

I too think we will gather the 4 points that should barring automatic promotion form from Barnet and Stockport ensure our survival.

But should the fans be put through the sort of appalling performance that we endured on Saturday. ok the stats may suggest it was a close match shots on target and corner kick wise. But most of our good moments were when the game was dead at 3-0 down and they were coasting and resting key players.

Sammy could give the whole club and most of the fans a boost by recalling Craig Stanley (possibly as captain) and replacing Charnock with Will Haining and moving Andy Parrish to right back.

Not at all - up to their first goal we gave as good as we got and had three presentable chances. In fact if you want to be ultra positive we more than matched them for all but a sloppy 15 minutes.

I don't think we should be ultra positive mind - they did look a better side than us. But there was enough in that display to suggest to me we'll survive. That's all.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby steve mfc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 pm

LA1Shrimp wrote:I've never understood the idea of playing for a draw, does that mean you give the ball away 50% (this would be an improvement at the moment) of the time, aim to miss 50% of the time. If your hanging on for a draw after 34 minutes I think the writings on the wall.

We weren't exactly hanging on for a draw when they were gifted a penalty, up to that point we were taking the game to them.
steve mfc

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:54 am

shrimper wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
shrimper wrote:I thought they were a better side than us with strength and a bit of pace all over the park.

But I also thought we played well going forward and created a lot of decent chances, even in the first half before they got in front we had a few.

There was some slack defending and tracking back, which led to at least two of their goals.

I didn't at the time and still don't think it was a penalty. I think Ainsworth (who played superbly all game) used his experience and played for the pen and got it. Looking at it again confirms that. I don't think Gary did anything wrong, in fact he looked to stand still and NOT give away a pen - Ainsworth pushed it forward and leapt over him, another ref would have booked him.

All said I think we've played worse than that and won this season and think if we continue making as many chances we can get the four or so points I think we need to survive.

The future is another story.

I too think we will gather the 4 points that should barring automatic promotion form from Barnet and Stockport ensure our survival.

But should the fans be put through the sort of appalling performance that we endured on Saturday. ok the stats may suggest it was a close match shots on target and corner kick wise. But most of our good moments were when the game was dead at 3-0 down and they were coasting and resting key players.

Sammy could give the whole club and most of the fans a boost by recalling Craig Stanley (possibly as captain) and replacing Charnock with Will Haining and moving Andy Parrish to right back.

Not at all - up to their first goal we gave as good as we got and had three presentable chances. In fact if you want to be ultra positive we more than matched them for all but a sloppy 15 minutes.

I don't think we should be ultra positive mind - they did look a better side than us. But there was enough in that display to suggest to me we'll survive. That's all.

but are we not making things harder for ourselves by not playing our best players. Haining and Stanley are quality players and should not be lent out.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby SimplyRed MFC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 am

Agree with that Jonny, also it might be worth mentioning a point that was made a few days ago.

Wycombe were a team full of skilful experienced athletes, recently in League 1, keen to be pro-active and take the initiative in the game. With all the confidence of a side challenging for promotion they had a hell of a lot of experience in players such as Rendell, Betsy, Bull and Ainsworth - nearly 38 for goodness sake who parted us like the Red Sea for the second goal.

Its that word though - athlete.

Was it just me or did they seem far more athletic during the game ? Something that we need to seriously address if we are to have a future away from the bottom end of League 2.

Despite Martin Allen revving up Barnet, I do think that we will survive mainly due to our next home opponents Burton, Hereford & Northampton being poor. Frankly if we cant get a couple of wins from them its worse than we think.

The summer needs to be interesting
SimplyRed MFC

Postby 1953 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:02 pm

A PENALTY TAKER MAY "STUTTER" ON HIS RUN-UP(OR EVEN STOP) PROVIDED HE KICKS THE BALL IN ONE CONTINUOUS MOTION WHEN HE REACHES THE BALL Just thought you may like to know Matty.

Postby Seasider9601 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:08 pm

1953 wrote:A PENALTY TAKER MAY "STUTTER" ON HIS RUN-UP(OR EVEN STOP) PROVIDED HE KICKS THE BALL IN ONE CONTINUOUS MOTION WHEN HE REACHES THE BALL Just thought you may like to know Matty.

Also states :

Each kick is taken from the penalty mark, with the goal defended only by the opposing goalkeeper.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Previous

Return to General Discussion