Paul Mullin

Re: Paul Mullin

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:15 am

I can't believe what I'm reading on this board this week :!: :!: :!:

Calling John Norman :?:

You must be mad or fishing for bites, in which case I apologise I'm biting.

Spot on Hodgy.

Legend.
morecambe mick

Postby Old Man Kensey » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:09 am

marky wrote:I think it is equally true that Justin Jackson was the one player who complimented John Norman's supposed attributes. Jackson's pace was crucial to that partnership in that Norman had an incredibly frustrating tendency to overhit passes, etc. Norman was one of those players who, when having an off day (which was more often than I think you care to remember) was unspeakably shocking. There was no middle ground. He doesn't really come close to being anything vaguely suggestive of one of our best ever players. He wouldn't get in our reserve team now and I'd go so far to suggest that he wouldn't have stood a chance of getting in our promotion winning conference team either!

Well you've just proved to me that you really do know nothing about football at all. One of Morecambe's most gifted players.
On a machine like this
Everybody gets their hands oily
Old Man Kensey

Postby parkyboy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 am

John Norman would have been an assett to our present team and would certainly have got the best out of Mullins
parkyboy

Postby marky » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Whilst it may be unpopular to be in any way critical of the (for some reason) holy untouchable John Norman, I really don't see how he'd get the best out of Paul Mullin. The Jackson - Norman partnership was often based around the fact that Norman had a few skills up his sleeve and Jackson had the pace to latch onto his through balls. Forgive me, but Paul Mullin definitely doesn't have pace and incidentally pace wasn't something John Norman was overly blessed with either and how often have people said Mullin could do with a pacy forward alongside him?

As for the rest, put your toys back in the pram. I'll never see Norman as a legend and that is an opinion I'm entitled to hold. However he was, on his day, able to produce things no one else in our squad at the time was capable of. I merely found him incredibly frustrating because an awful lot of what he tried didn't work and we were suddenly defensively on the back foot. He was skillful but gifted? At non-league standard maybe but a truly gifted player would have played at a much higher level.

As for getting the best out of Jackson, I'd argue that's being terribly unfair on him. They were a partnership and they contributed equally to it. They got the best out of each other.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:08 pm

If anyone really (?!) does need any reminding of what a great player (and Shrimps Legend) Stormin' Norman was, put on the History of Christie Park dvd and watch some of his goals on there.

A particular favourite of mine being a lob of the Alty 'keeper in a 7-0 demolition. Also, a fabulous individual goal against, I think, Stalybridge Celtic.

Great player, thoroughly decent bloke.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Sharpy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:52 pm

ok ok, caved in. Rose tinted specs ordered. Very low on stock in the area apparently.
Morecambe and District Kite and Tins Society. Official Kite Owner
Sharpy

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 am

marky wrote:As for getting the best out of Jackson, I'd argue that's being terribly unfair on him. They were a partnership and they contributed equally to it. They got the best out of each other.

Justin Jackson wouldn't agree with you. In fact he actually agreed with me.

Sharpy wrote:ok ok, caved in. Rose tinted specs ordered. Very low on stock in the area apparently.

Welcome to the slightly pinky coloured side Sharpy. You'll sleep happier now!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion