I believe the children are OUR future

Re: I believe the children are OUR future

Postby essex_shrimp » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Kids - cheaper yes maybe £2-£3 ticket price

Unemployed getting in cheaper i know bradford city do this but only way we do that is if the club are desperate for the extra fans

16-21 cheaper erm no do it 16-24 year old cheaper ie if your in part time work ????
essex_shrimp

Postby Morecambe Jack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm

morecambe mick wrote: As for students at Uni not being able to afford the entry price, go compare the difference in the bars in Lancaster between term and non-term time. You'll find term time MUCH busier.

The issue is not whether they can afford it, it is whether they will pay it. You won't find any Lancaster University students (except those who are local and already support the club) paying £12-15 each week to watch Morecambe. Charge £5 and take them door to door and you'll get people going. Its £5 more than you would have got before and then they will probably spend money when they are here too.

Obvious the transport bit would cost the club - hence my recommendation that they also pick up regular fans enroute. Im 99% sure the club said that they would be providing transport from all of the local train stations to the new ground when we moved. Obviously they have backed down on this promise but it would work with this idea. They could even charge a nominal fee and it would still work given that the Stagecoach monopoly rip you off (bar the 5 for 5 pound thing).
Morecambe Jack

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:27 pm

morecambe mick wrote:The bus offer Peter mentions doesn't run out to Heysham, we tried to buy it from the Cross Cop area of Heysham (Morecambe end) and the driver said it was out of the offer area.

Thinking about it Mick, the offer is between Common Garden Street and the Battery, which is the same difference for Lancaster based supporters.
When I enquired about the offer at Lancaster Bus Station I was told to take a leaflet to show the driver, as the chances were that he'd know stuff about it, or couldn't parlez Anglais!
Plain Peter

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:The issue is not whether they can afford it, it is whether they will pay it. You won't find any Lancaster University students (except those who are local and already support the club) paying £12-15 each week to watch Morecambe. Charge £5 and take them door to door and you'll get people going. Its £5 more than you would have got before and then they will probably spend money when they are here too.

That's a bit selective. There might be a few hundred or more ordinary hard working local people with young families to support who'd love to pitch up at The Globe but simply can't afford the current going rate.
That's Market Forces for you. The going's tough now and getting tougher.
Plain Peter

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:25 pm

It's a catch 22 Peter, where do you focus your efforts? The main thrust of what I was talking about earlier was the age of 17-21 being critical in terms of keeping and losing fans that used to be regulars week in week out. In many cases such fans have been quite prominent and recognisable amongst the support group, on the terraces both home and away for a few years. So the challenge in this case is not for the club to attract new fans, but keep hold of the ones they already have. It wasn't about giving freebies to one group over another. Since moving to the new ground, there has been very little done by the club to aid this.

Apologies if I'm embarrassing anybody who may post on here, but a current example of this (I saw a similar thing happen with my own group of mates) would be a group of 20 or so lads (aged 17-19 at a guess, possibly sixth formers) who I used to see at all the away games that I went to, and they'd always be at the top of the North Stand for home games. Now this group is down to about 6 or so. There have been schemes over the years at introducing people to the club; student events at Lancaster University with little or no success, free season ticket for key stage two leavers, community sports for youngsters where members of the first team go to primary schools in the district to help coaching, etc. However I've never seen anything done by the club that has been aimed at maintaining interest amongst the 17-21 year olds, which I've already said I believe to be a critical age in terms of continuing or stopping regular support for the club.
RedRedWine1

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm going back a few years now (for a change !! :lol: ) to the 1997/98 season to be precise, and we did actually do some kind of advertising campaign up at Lancaster Uni because I can well remember a group of around 10 or so lads who used to come to EVERY game.

Ok, their group was small (one of the lads I remember was an Irish lad, well sound he was), but my point is that they ALL purchased scarves and shirts etc, they all drank before and after the match in JB's Bar, and they also joined in the vocal support in a big way too (I wonder where these lads are in life now?)

Point being, a campaign at the Uni did work (albeit in a small way), I think Shrimper may have had something to do with it, and it can work again.

ie, to entice them in, present your NUS card at the turnstile and get a pound or two off your admitance cost.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Seasider9601 wrote:ie, to entice them in, present your NUS card at the turnstile and get a pound or two off your admitance cost.

That already happens all over the ground (apart from C Block), it's called a concession.
RedRedWine1

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm

RedRedWine wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:ie, to entice them in, present your NUS card at the turnstile and get a pound or two off your admitance cost.

That already happens all over the ground (apart from C Block), it's called a concession.

True mate. Apologies.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby morecambe mick » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:03 am

RedRedWine wrote:
Seasider9601 wrote:ie, to entice them in, present your NUS card at the turnstile and get a pound or two off your admittance cost.

This is true, but it's about exposure and making them aware of the Football club and the concession available.

Martin, those lads and lasses were from St Martins College (University of Cumbria, as is now) not from Lancaster University, I don't know how this has any significance however :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:
morecambe mick

Postby thegentlegiant » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:45 pm

outsider wrote:So we have the 16-21 year olds getting in cheeper.
Unemployed to get cheeper tickets.
Kids for a quid.

What about us that work for a living and try our best to get by?????

Just get screwd over again!

see my badge ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
thegentlegiant

Postby Wild Bill » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Sounds like a right pain for students to get to the Globe from the Uni. Didn't there used to be a direct bus that went passed CP?

Students will always weigh up the cost of going to the football against a cheap night out. We would need to make the overall cost (including transport, food and a few beers) less than £20 to get any significant numbers to come along.

If we only charged a £5 bought through the Students Union, then I feel we could tempt at least a few dozen down on a regular basis. This would bring in at least a couple of hundred quid extra each match day and would be well worth the effort in someone from the club sorting out.

The idea of transport may be a bit of a risk but may be worth a go for a match or two to see if it works.
Wild Bill

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 pm

When I was at university the two Nottingham clubs used to take it in turns each year at freshers week to give away free tickets for a match. The student union laid on all the transport (which they generally did for all the freshers week events) and they used to get a couple of thousand extra through the gate. When you got the tickets you'd have to give them your email address so that had a point of contact. Obviously when the free transport and free tickets stopped the majority didn't go back, but I must have been to 50 or so Forest games with a few other mates on the back of the freshers week freebie. You only need a few to keep coming back to make it worthwhile, given the unused spare capacity we have of around 3,000 a match, it isn't as though it costs the club anything in terms of lost revenue.

The problem with targeting Lancaster University though is that it's a bit of a trek to Morecambe if free transport isn't laid on. I actually think it's easier and quicker to get to a PNE game from up there if your using public transport. Lancaster University always appears to be the focus to attact students whenever the subject is raised, but there are plenty of other FE providers in the local area. St Martins, LMC, sixth form colleges etc to name a few.
Last edited by RedRedWine1 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRedWine1

Postby Joelinho » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:58 pm

It's only £4.10 for a day rider on the buses, 2 or 2A from the Uni to the bus station and a 6A to outside the new ground and then back again.

I think student deals are a great idea, and I know a few people have suggested them countless times.
Joelinho

Previous

Return to General Discussion