Globe Bar - Q&A

Globe Bar - Q&A

Postby Dan.Campbell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi guys, i'm starting a new thread about the bar since there is so much discussion on it. Basically, if you have any questions about what's happening at the bar, the staff or the future of the bar then please ask in this thread. I'm sure I'll be able to answer most if not all of your questions.

I'd just like to say first of all that there are going to be a lot of changes to the bar over the next couple of weeks. Certain events and deals on specific nights are imminent so please just bear with us!

I'll start by answering a few questions already asked...

Whilst the Commercial Department are doing an excellent job in attracting new business to the Wright and Lord suite, I wonder if the appointment (if not already in place :?: ) of a focussed Entertainment Manager with specific experience of providing differing entertainment packages to cater for a variety of age groups would be worth considering?

There isn't an Entertainment Manager as such and i don't think this would benefit any section of the Arena in anyway, if anything it would just be an extra salary for the club to pay. There is an Events/Functions Manager and as Ockers has said, she is called Michelle. The catering side is run by Michael O'brien although the actual Bar & Grill is predominantly run by Toby Greenword (Bar Manager). They all do a terrific job under a lot of pressure and have regular meetings about what to do with the bar. They also take in to account your views as obviously this affects their jobs.

the same said manager should be responsible for the match day management of the food outlets in all the stands and if this is already in place then they should be sacked :!: I'm not being cruel or too negative but the way these outlets is currently run is not only causing the club to lose revenue but also ruin the day for alot of fans.

As above the Catering Manage is Michael O'brien but there is a lady who runs the catering on the concourses, some fans from Christie Park will know her from working the bar at JB's - Jayne. You have to understand that because of the design of the stadium the half-time refreshments have to be made and collected from the kitchen which is situated in the Peter McGuigan Stand so this adds pressure to the chefs as they can't send out too many or too little pies! The pies when they arrive at the concourses are stored in a heated unit which can't hold that many. Although the attendance of a game can be roughly estimated it's almost impossible to guess how many will eat pies. On top of all that, i know for certain the focus over the next couple of weeks is being shifted to delivering a higher standard to everyone who eats/drinks at the concourses. The club don't want you to feel that you have been forgotten, in fact it's the complete opposite, there is hardly a day goes by that the management don't think about what the fans want from their match day experience.

staff behind the bar in the Globe Bar, with the exception of the older small white-haired lady and one other, are just hopelessly inexperienced. Getting a pint after a game is becoming an ordeal rather than a post-match pleasure and not just because of the queues.

That lady is Lynn and she won't be impressed by the white hair comment :!: :lol: The "other one" is probably Gail, one of the bar supervisors. The thing with pre and post match drinks in the Bar & Grill is that just before the game most of the staff get shifted upstairs to set up and prepare for the rush there.

Toby also deserves a mention, who is normally upstairs, and is one of the only ones who recognises which customer is next in the queue - in my book the 2nd thing they should learn when behind a bar.

Yeah Toby works very hard, not just on match days but during the week preparing for functions and match days behind the scenes. The thing about the staff upstairs serving people in order is that there is a rush both at half-time and full-time as obviously everyone goes in at the same time. A member of staff might be pulling a pint and the next time they look up there can be anything between 10 and 40 people at the bar. Most of (if not all) the staff who work in the Wright & Lord suite are very experienced.

Totally agree and this souless look spreads even into the main reception area. Surely some large photographs of our Wembley success and other footballing scenes aren't too much to expect.

There are going to be some big changes to the look of the bar so watch this space!

Topless barmaids anyone?

have you been in the bar? :o :lol:

Anyway, any questions, just ask :)
Dan.Campbell

Re: Globe Bar - Q&A

Postby Tablespider » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Apart from being a big fan of Michelle :oops: I would ask if there was any board meetings planned to discuss the catering? And if so, can the first item on the Agenda be... Any chance of some Bovril???
If you want to know my opinion, ask my wife :)
Tablespider

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm

nice positive post, let's hope you get some positive, constructive feedback.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Tablespider wrote:Apart from being a big fan of Michelle :oops: I would ask if there was any board meetings planned to discuss the catering? And if so, can the first item on the Agenda be... Any chance of some Bovril???

I'm pretty sure it's discussed at just about every board meeting.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:09 pm

Well done for coming on Dan, just be prepared to take some flack! ;)

One question from me is have "you" considered pouring a few "beers" just before half time?

You will already know what sells and I think a few pre poured 3/4 pints that just need topping up would help the rush along and may well get some of us back for a revisit before the 2nd half. With 40 mins of the game gone there is always an exodus to the W&L Suite and quite honestly many of us that prefer watching the game don't get to the bar at all at half time.

Obviously if this can happen then it shall have to be made clear that you are not serving slops! :lol:

Alternatively, at Christie Park we were able to order a half time drink, maybe this already happens?
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Dan.Campbell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Tablespider wrote:Apart from being a big fan of Michelle :oops: I would ask if there was any board meetings planned to discuss the catering? And if so, can the first item on the Agenda be... Any chance of some Bovril???

I can't promise you that Bovril will be the first thing on the agenda but I'll definitely pass your message on :)

i think everyone is a fan of michelle! :lol:
Dan.Campbell

Postby Dan.Campbell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:15 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Well done for coming on Dan, just be prepared to take some flack! ;)

One question from me is have "you" considered pouring a few "beers" just before half time?

You will already know what sells and I think a few pre poured 3/4 pints that just need topping up would help the rush along and may well get some of us back for a revisit before the 2nd half. With 40 mins of the game gone there is always an exodus to the W&L Suite and quite honestly many of us that prefer watching the game don't get to the bar at all at half time.

Obviously if this can happen then it shall have to be made clear that you are not serving slops! :lol:

Alternatively, at Christie Park we were able to order a half time drink, maybe this already happens?

As for the half time drinks, you can pre-order drinks in the Wright & Lord suite and they will be ready for you as soon as the half-time whistle goes!

Pre-pouring drinks has been suggested but it's a pretty risky business because no-one can guess how many drinks will be sold as every match is completely different. There may be a lot of wastage and unfortunately alcohol isn't free :( i know it has been mentioned at the bar though so if i hear anything else i'll let you know.
Dan.Campbell

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Dan.Campbell wrote:As for the half time drinks, you can pre-order drinks in the Wright & Lord suite and they will be ready for you as soon as the half-time whistle goes!

That will do me :D That's one satisfied customer and you've only been here 10 minutes Dan.
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Cheers Dan for answering the questions that have been raised. Whilst I might have different views about one specific topic, we all want the operation to be an outstanding success and to provide increased revenue into the club that we all support. I'm sure that in the weeks to come the constructive suggestions of fans, young and old , will improve the Globe to the benefit of everybody particularly on Match Days.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:24 pm

The vast majority of supporters are fed before the game.
They enjoy the pre-match entertainment. Numbers on the terraces, for some reason, support that.
Numbers that remain on the terraces during the interval support the fact that fodder isn't on their agenda.
What percentage turn up at the bar either before or after the game?
Can't see where the problem is, i.e. the vast majority aren't either bothered about a pint or a pie.
Plain Peter

Postby Suffolk Shrimp » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:56 pm

[quote=
Pre-pouring drinks has been suggested but it's a pretty risky business because no-one can guess how many drinks will be sold as every match is completely different. There may be a lot of wastage and unfortunately alcohol isn't free[/quote]

But you're losing more money by not being prepared for the half time rush, the pre poured pints could be kept under the bar and used at full time or the worst case scenario would be you end up selling them off at cost price at the end of the evening session to the last few customers who would probably appreciate the offer!
Suffolk Shrimp

Postby captain sparkle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Dan.Campbell wrote:As for the half time drinks, you can pre-order drinks in the Wright & Lord suite and they will be ready for you as soon as the half-time whistle goes!

Pre-pouring drinks has been suggested but it's a pretty risky business because no-one can guess how many drinks will be sold as every match is completely different. There may be a lot of wastage and unfortunately alcohol isn't free :( i know it has been mentioned at the bar though so if i hear anything else i'll let you know.

Why not introduce this to the other bars?
a simple idea, perhaps,to have somebody selling 'raffle tickets' before the game. 2 colours of ticket, red & white? red for bitter, white for lager. These tickets represent half time pints! that way you will know, just after kick off, how many pints to pull! Have them ready for half time. Bingo!
Unless you can think of a down side?
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Peter wrote:Can't see where the problem is, i.e. the vast majority aren't either bothered about a pint or a pie.

Meet Peter, he's in charge of marketing!
I think the idea is to try and encourage more people to become interested in a pie and a pint!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Peter wrote:The vast majority of supporters are fed before the game.
They enjoy the pre-match entertainment. Numbers on the terraces, for some reason, support that.
Numbers that remain on the terraces during the interval support the fact that fodder isn't on their agenda.
What percentage turn up at the bar either before or after the game?
Can't see where the problem is, i.e. the vast majority aren't either bothered about a pint or a pie.

The vast majority of people in Morecambe don't come to watch their local team. They're not bothered. So why even have a ground? Why have a team?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby bigreddog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm

many thanks for setting up this thread. there are always going to be people going through a bit of a learning curve at any new establishment. so the inexperience thing that has been commented on will solve itself imo. so far I've found the staff in the bar to be engaging and very pleasant indeed, whether the place is full or not so full they're always interested in a bitof banter. I like the product on offer, though I'm sure some would probably want a wider range ( not me though, lager is fine, german better than others but any good, especially after a game).

whatever the changes you are planning to make, I'm sure they will be well received so long as we can get a bit of an atmosphere going on in there, whether it's pictures, quiz nights or other events.

my one and only question is this: where did the name come from?
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for clearing a few things up always try and get fed and watered before the game to avoid the half time and post match rush.
heysham_mfc

Postby Dan.Campbell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm guessing the people who are suggesting pre-pouring drinks in advance haven't run or worked in a bar before? There are people who complain about perfectly good pints of bitter and larger, never mind if they see you essentially 'topping up' a pre-poured pint. That aside, as previously stated, the idea has been put forward so we will just have to await the outcome.

bigreddog wrote:my one and only question is this: where did the name come from?

The name is as far as i am aware one of the entries we received during the competition. I was asked just last week by one of the senior managers what my thoughts on the name were though. In all honesty i don't like it, so it may well change in the future.
Dan.Campbell

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Dan.Campbell wrote:I'm guessing the people who are suggesting pre-pouring drinks in advance haven't run or worked in a bar before? .

Well sorry to disappoint you Dan, but yes I have. I also attend many functions, major hospitality events and parties with many hundreds of people needing service where they have multi pouring devices in action. The punters are happy that the queues move swiftly at busy times. Whatever business you are in, it is never a good idea to assume things ;)
marky No.1

Postby Dan.Campbell » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Dan.Campbell wrote:I'm guessing the people who are suggesting pre-pouring drinks in advance haven't run or worked in a bar before? .

Well sorry to disappoint you Dan, but yes I have. I also attend many functions, major hospitality events and parties with many hundreds of people needing service where they have multi pouring devices in action. The punters are happy that the queues move swiftly at busy times. Whatever business you are in, it is never a good idea to assume things

It doesn't disappoint me although i'm very surprised that you have been places that pre-pour pints because it's almost unheard of, unless by "multi pouring devices" you mean something else?

Every function/bar/event is completely different and in my honest opinion having worked the bars at the Globe it simply isn't worth the hassle. One complaining customer would add extra time to the service when another customer could be getting served not only that but if no-one wants that pint it is then wastage and the club simply can't afford to be throwing drinks away.

I completely agree that there are different routes that can be taken with regards to faster, more efficient service but i don't feel pre-pouring pints is the right way forward in regards to the concourses or the bar & grill. Obviously this isn't a problem in the Wright & Lord suite as you can pre-order drinks (now you know) :lol:
Dan.Campbell

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:37 am

When we played against Nuneaton many years ago, you could pay for your halt time pint before the game. the pints were already out and all you had to do is hand over your ticket.
halftimeresults

Postby mfcbro » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:55 am

Michael o brian runs outside catering events including Cartmell races where they keep a constant flow of lager and bitter thus making customers happy.You dont have to pull many pints maybe 6 of each just to get rid of the initial rush.The problem i have come across is not the pulling of the pints but the working of the tills which takes more time.They will get it right with more experience.
mfcbro

Postby captain sparkle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 am

captain sparkle wrote:

Why not introduce this to the other bars?
a simple idea, perhaps,to have somebody selling 'raffle tickets' before the game. 2 colours of ticket, red & white? red for bitter, white for lager. These tickets represent half time pints! that way you will know, just after kick off, how many pints to pull! Have them ready for half time. Bingo!
Unless you can think of a down side?

This includes pies as well, of course!
PYROMANIACS OF THE WORLD IGNITE!
Over 3.7 million hits on YouToob! Subscribers needed! full & part time! apply now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOzzTpVT3A
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeFlLgCS-jBXwnXTtT8vJBReNXSYuphoM
captain sparkle

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:44 am

this thread started by well meaning dan seems to be concentrating on the wright and lord suite, and the globe grill, which do not pose too many problems for the majority of fans, the other areas ie the plant room, the mbw terrace facilities and the away end are the main areas that dan needs to tell us the improvements in the pipeline, ynow, the areas where two thirds of our fans are treat like cattle, so come on dan, tell us about them bits, plant room having no hot food , guiness, cider, caffreys etc, BEFORE HALF TIME, so come on dan, what plans are in place for ordinary fans who actually watch the game :!:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Stewie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:51 am

At most big venues rock/metal concerts etc , you pre buy a token for your drink then simply go to a "collection point" exchange your token for said pint.

So would it be an idea to have a separate area to pay for your drinks at any point in the day, then another point to collect?

The benefit of this is that you have 1 person pouring and 1 doing cash collection.
Stewie

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 am

soz no, like its a good idea to queue for match tickets, then re queue to get in, a novel concept would be to have hot food, and drinks behind the counter for the staff to sell to punters before the half time whistle, dans weak excuses , (we did not know how many were coming, the pie warmer is only small etc), are frankly, a bit wishy washy :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Next

Return to General Discussion