Yesterday I sat with the torquay fans,

Yesterday I sat with the torquay fans,

Postby Arnside Red » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:16 pm

to say they were nasty is bollax, I had a Morecambe shirt, scarf and hat on and all I got was great banter,
as for Duffy, right in front of us and a definate dive for the second pen, it was embarrasing, to be honest when the ref ran over initially i thought he was going to book him or diving, the Torquay fans had been pretty peed off with the ref all game and that was the icing on the cake, to me a draw would have been a fair result but hey ho, we got lucky (some may say by cheating) and another 3 points
Arnside Red

Re: Yesterday I sat with the torquay fans,

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:23 pm

You win some, you lose some. We were due some luck.
Sammy h

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Sammy h wrote:You win some, you lose some.

Or draw a lot
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 pm

I had a perfect view of the two penalties and neither of them were dives. The first one, somebody stuck out a leg a bit late. The second one, their player just stuck his leg for ages just begging Duffy to fall over it. Any tricky winger who sees an outstretched leg will go over it.
Little Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Both were genuine penalties.

You only have to look at the reaction of the Torquay players who made the tackles.

Branston had his head in his hands after his tackle and the other guy didn't protest either.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Have I missed something? Has anybody said or implied that Torquay fans were/are nasty??
RedRedWine1

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:45 pm

I thought the first one was a clear penalty, the second i wasn't so sure about. But Berbatov definitely dived.
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Bare Ben wrote:I thought the first one was a clear penalty, the second i wasn't so sure about. But Berbatov definitely dived.

I just got back from Salt Ayre swimming. I saw Maxi practising diving.
Sammy h

Postby MfcChris » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Bare Ben wrote:I thought the first one was a clear penalty, the second i wasn't so sure about. But Berbatov definitely dived.

I just got back from Salt Ayre swimming. I saw Maxi practising diving.

Mixing with the celebs. Did you see Gerrard get questioned by the police as well. :roll:
Attachments
gerrard.jpg
gerrard.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Did you see Rooney in the sauna Sam?
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah Rooney was there, I also saw Torres with Maxi....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sammy h

Postby Bare Ben » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Sammy h wrote:Yeah Rooney was there, I also saw Torres with Maxi....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Erm...that's Ronaldo. YEAH WOW OMG 8-) :lol:
Bare Ben

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Same thing! Not according to google.

YEAH WOW OMG I SAID IT
Sammy h

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:25 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Have I missed something? Has anybody said or implied that Torquay fans were/are nasty??

Little Shrimp wrote:Defence was solid. Roche was very good. Hendrie and Fleming made a difference. Torquay fans were very nasty. I was with a friend who watched Liverpool in the 80s and he said they were pretty nasty :? !

:?
marky No.1

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 am

From where I was sitting, Torquay fans were the most foul-mouthed, illiterate away supporters who've come to Morecambe this season. As for the penalties, I thought the first was a blatant dive, but the second was a gimme - the defender just stuck his leg out for Duffy to fall over. It's interesting how we all saw different things, but at the end of the day, I did not applaud the first penalty award, because I was ashamed to be a Morecambe fan when a player dives llike that, and let's be honest, Duffy does have a tendency towards the theatrical when he goes down, perhaps making it look like he dives more than he really does - who knows other than him. Still applauded the penalty itself, by the way. Willow should take 'em all, even when Jevo's back!
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 am

given these conflicting descriptions of the away support, can anyone tell me why they are allowed to sit alongside our home fans, unsegregated, while our fans are actually segregated from each other :?:

I fully understand that it saves us a bob or two closing the away end if it is not over busy, but when does segregation stop mattering :?:

for the record i sat next to the away fans and found it quite funny that quite a few of them stood for the entire match without being asked to sit down, unlike morecambe fans sat behind me, who were reprimanded several time for standing even though they were at the back, blocking no ones view, the steward had to walk past the standing torquay fans to tell our fans to sit down :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 am

I'd ask another question of the stewards. I can remember a couple of seasons ago at Christie Park when a small number of Notts County fans, who were being abusive but not to the extent of Torquay fans on Saturday, were evicted at half-time. Why was nothing done to try to address the behaviour this weekend? Near us there was a young lass celebrating her birthday - she'd had the party in the morning so she could come to the game - and she can't have been more than 5, and she was having to listen to potty-mouthed thickos from Torquay. Any defence of the stewards and security here?
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

The Notts Co Fans you talk about would be the ones that would have normally gone behind the goal but specifically aimed to be as close to their own board of directors as they could to slag them off for the afternoon
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:00 pm

As for the pens... I am really surprised by some comments on here.

Not because people aren't entitled to express a view but because from where I was (and there was a straight view of the incidents, no obstructions and not too far away) they were two of the most nailed on, no dispute pens I've ever seen. Everyone I spoke to on the day thought so too, so I was surprised to read there was a different point of view.

I've watched them again and it does look like there's a bit of a double step by Duffy for the first one before going down but the second one is as clear as day. The lad left his leg there and Duffy jinked onto it. He may even have tried to hop over but he's only a tiddler.

It's interesting though, that apart from one very half-hearted plea by one Torquay player for the second one, no Torquay players even tried to dispute the decisions - and there were plenty of them very close by who had a clear view.

It was more of a 'oh no, what have we done!?' reaction which is usually a good indication that the ref got it right.

The nearest people - with the very best views - were the players and the ref. I'm happy to agree with their opinions. Two pens, no problem.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby ockers » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:36 pm

shrimper wrote:As for the pens... I am really surprised by some comments on here.

Not because people aren't entitled to express a view but because from where I was (and there was a straight view of the incidents, no obstructions and not too far away) they were two of the most nailed on, no dispute pens I've ever seen. Everyone I spoke to on the day thought so too, so I was surprised to read there was a different point of view.

I've watched them again and it does look like there's a bit of a double step by Duffy for the first one before going down but the second one is as clear as day. The lad left his leg there and Duffy jinked onto it. He may even have tried to hop over but he's only a tiddler.

It's interesting though, that apart from one very half-hearted plea by one Torquay player for the second one, no Torquay players even tried to dispute the decisions - and there were plenty of them very close by who had a clear view.

It was more of a 'oh no, what have we done!?' reaction which is usually a good indication that the ref got it right.

The nearest people - with the very best views - were the players and the ref. I'm happy to agree with their opinions. Two pens, no problem.

spot on
Paul buckle would agree with you too
He had nocomplaints in the post match interview save for criticism of his players
ockers

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:I'd ask another question of the stewards. I can remember a couple of seasons ago at Christie Park when a small number of Notts County fans, who were being abusive but not to the extent of Torquay fans on Saturday, were evicted at half-time. Why was nothing done to try to address the behaviour this weekend? Near us there was a young lass celebrating her birthday - she'd had the party in the morning so she could come to the game - and she can't have been more than 5, and she was having to listen to potty-mouthed thickos from Torquay. Any defence of the stewards and security here?

There was a little 5 year old girl near me. She was shouting "LOSER" at the Torquay fans when we scored :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: However, the Torquay fans were using vile language and behaving disgustingly!
Little Shrimp

Postby Phil Anderer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Have now watched the BBC footage, and the first pen doesn't look as questionable as it did on the day - oh the benefit of 20/20 hindsight! I also agree that the Torquay players didn't exactly object, whereas the fans objected to even the most clear-cut of decisions. Still say Duffy goes down somewhat theatrically at times though. :lol:
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby shrimper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:There was a little 5 year old girl near me. She was shouting "LOSER" at the Torquay fans when we scored :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: However, the Torquay fans were using vile language and behaving disgustingly!

Ahem, yes, sorry about my youngest - don't know where she gets it from!

:oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWxs3Nj5T-A&feature=player_embedded
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:40 pm

so, segregation, any answer, penny pinching aside :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:27 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:so, segregation, any answer, penny pinching aside :?:

I'd like to know also.

Whilst we're on it, exiting the MBW is a nightmare, herded like cattle out of the rear of the stand with a human barrier stopping us exiting an empty gate next to us. :?
morecambe mick

Next

Return to General Discussion